The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
golfpro827

An underlining story from the Islanders game

4th would be nice, but I'm ok with 5th which is the more realistic goal within our power.

4th or 5th place makes no difference after round 1 really, you gotta figure if the canes get by round 1, one of the bottom 3 teams in the playoffs will upset the higher seed....which means canes would get home ice in round 2.

Wouldn't two of the bottom seeds have to upset for us to get home ice?

Yes, we would need to be a higher seed than 2 of the remaining teams left.

I didnt think we would slip down to 7th or 8th, but its nice to know it for sure.

This narrows down our possible first round opponents to Pittsburgh, Philly, or New Jersey depending on where we all end up in this 4/5/6 battle. My preference of those 3 would be Jersey, but that would mean slipping all the way down to 6th. If we could lock up 4th and home ice it wouldn't matter who we faced. I don't like the 5th spot, having to face either Pittsburgh or Philly as a road team could mean getting eliminated, even though we are playing incredible right now.

I dont know if the streaks matter, but Carolina is 9-0-1 in their last 10. NJ is 3-6-1... Pitt is 7-2-1 and Philly is 6-3-1. We have been better then them all, but I still would like our chances against a flat Jersey team. Plus a Philly/Pittsburgh first round match up would be great.

With Boston and Washington facing Montreal and Rangers those could easily be 4 game sweeps each. The 5/6 teams have a chance to win. I like Pitt or Us to beat Jersey as the 6, and Us/Philly or Pitt/Philly would be a tossup the 5 could win. Even so, if that happened, the 1 would face the 6 and the 2 would face the 5.. so still no home ice. We could get home ice in the 3rd round if we are the 5, and the 5 and 6 both beat the 1 and 2.. but at that point does it matter? Conference champs is gonna be a 7 game slugfest no matter what.

I've gotta believe that the Rangers will take at least one from Philly, assuming we play the way we have been, we will be at home to start the playoffs.

With Theodore in goal, don't pencil washington into the second round yet.

This could be true, but even as bad as he is, can he lose to the Habs? or the Rangers? That would be beyond pitiful.... And for Washington I'm not sure goaltending is gonna be the backbreaker for them... if AO and his linemates can score 3-4 goals a game they will win more than they lose.

4th, 5th or 6th

After the first game we'll have home ice advantage no matter who it is or where we are.

I'm sorry guys but, what are you talking about?

With no upsets, 3rd seed doesn't get home ice in the second round... why does everyone seem to think that 4th, 5th, and 6th will?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a second note: If the canes cannot catch philly but still manage to pull off the win without home ice, the face that we are in 5th instead of 4th is no longer of any consequence for the rest of the playoffs.