The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

I like how people still don't know how to spell Coles first name correctly. Its Erik. Its a K not a C. Its just as bad when people spell Staal instead of Staal.

HA!

I saw a lady at a game with a Canes jersey and the number 12 and it had "Stahl" like Gunnar Stahl from the Mighty Ducks. Still have the pic on my phone.

Now u are putting words in my mouth I don't beleive I ever said staal was awful. He only has 50 points and is making 8 million or so a season.

If you are going to judge based on his paycheck then you should check your numbers. Staal is making 5 million this year and 6 next year. He doesn't cross 8 million until the 12-13 season. His new contract doesn't kick in until next year.

HA!

I saw a lady at a game with a Canes jersey and the number 12 and it had "Stahl" like Gunnar Stahl from the Mighty Ducks. Still have the pic on my phone.

There's a blog that dedicates a whole section to jersey fouls...this sounds like a sure fire hit. :)

i don't know if anybody posted this or not yet. i didn't feel like going through all of them. anyway i was checking out the oilers message boards, and it seems the fans there really liked cole, and had nothing but a lot of respect for him. it is worth checking out.

http://forums.edmontonoilers.com/index.php?showtopic=46811''>http://forums.edmontonoilers.com/index.php?showtopic=46811' target="_blank">http://forums.edmontonoilers.com/index.php?showtopic=46811[/post]

seems like they are really going to miss him even though his stats weren't great, but then again stats don't necassarily make a player what he is. there are alot of things that do not show up on the stat sheets that can help make a player good.

Yes, I for one checked out their board. As did they look at our board. They said they did in their Cole topic. Our fanbases have respect for each other (ever since the 06 finals), so its not a surprise our fanbases would check out each others boards.

Edit: In fact, an Olier fan posted a few pages ago on this topic, and a Caniac posted on the Oilers board.

Yes, I for one checked out their board. As did they look at our board. They said they did in their Cole topic. Our fanbases have respect for each other (ever since the 06 finals), so its not a surprise our fanbases would check out each others boards.

i will give it to oiler fans they have a great appreciation for the game, and seem for the most part to be very respectful. i remember after game 7 oiler fans coming up to people and shaking hand and congratulating cane fans. total opposite of saber fan.

i will give it to oiler fans they have a great appreciation for the game, and seem for the most part to be very respectful. i remember after game 7 oiler fans coming up to people and shaking hand and congratulating cane fans. total opposite of saber fan.
Yes, I have nothing but respect for the Olier franchise, and their fans. They have alot of class, and respect in general. The Olier fans seem to think the same things about us.

i don't know if anybody posted this or not yet. i didn't feel like going through all of them. anyway i was checking out the oilers message boards, and it seems the fans there really liked cole, and had nothing but a lot of respect for him. it is worth checking out.

http://forums.edmontonoilers.com/index.php?showtopic=46811''>http://forums.edmontonoilers.com/index.php?showtopic=46811' target="_blank">http://forums.edmontonoilers.com/index.php?showtopic=46811[/post]

seems like they are really going to miss him even though his stats weren't great, but then again stats don't necassarily make a player what he is. there are alot of things that do not show up on the stat sheets that can help make a player good.

Sounds like Erik still has the same hard nosed, blue collar work ethic we need so desperately night in and night out in Carolina. Welcome back Erik! And there is no doubt the Oilers and their fans are a class act! I appreciate their comments and opinions on Cole.

Kaberle scored the SC winner.

Justin's goal just secured it for us with time running out for the Oil.

And don't forget that Erik Cole drew the penalty with a great power move that Kaberle scored on that won the Stanley Cup.

If we had gotten Pat O'Sullivan, then it would have been the FIRST TIME a NORTH CAROLINA resident played for the CANES!

he is from Winston-Salem!

Yes, its been talked about in this topic. But, it has also been said in this topic how O' Sullivan has an abusive father. So, most likely he would have never played for us anyway. Besides, we never wanted him. Our franchise wanted Cole.

If you are going to judge based on his paycheck then you should check your numbers. Staal is making 5 million this year and 6 next year. He doesn't cross 8 million until the 12-13 season. His new contract doesn't kick in until next year.

There's his salary and then there's his salary cap hit. His actually salary is 5 million, 6 million, etc. But his cap hit throughout the remainder of that contract is 8.25 million. A sum he's not earned this year.

IMO if Cole does well for us and will except a reasonable salary JR will keep him. I'm glad to see him back although I can't help but be a little disappointed that we only made one move. I love trade deadline day. Anyone who doesn't have the NHL Network should know that they are having a free preview right now. It is definitely a good channel to have for hockey fanatics like me. :)

I didnt even think about that aspect, and I see that as a bonus to us. Willy wasn't doing anything for us being injured, so even though he does have a pretty cheap long term deal, he traded him for Cole who could come back and do something for us immediately. If Cole finishes the season with good play and good point production, then re-sign him. If not let him walk and that gives us more space for someone like Boychuk or Bowman next year.

You're kidding, right? Boychuk AND Bowman aren't going to make this team good enough to move up a tier. If Cole's money is available, use it on a bigger FA. Boychuk and Bowman can be signed cheap.

IMO if Cole does well for us and will except a reasonable salary JR will keep him. I'm glad to see him back although I can't help but be a little disappointed that we only made one move. I love trade deadline day. Anyone who doesn't have the NHL Network should know that they are having a free preview right now. It is definitely a good channel to have for hockey fanatics like me. :)

And CenterIce (=$169). :)

There's his salary and then there's his salary cap hit. His actually salary is 5 million, 6 million, etc. But his cap hit throughout the remainder of that contract is 8.25 million. A sum he's not earned this year.

Which still doesn't kick in until next year. If you want to talk about cap hits then his is 4.5 million for THIS year. He has not EARNED that 8.25 million this year financially either.

Well, CLF has a point about us not really ever having Sully to begin with...I never thought of the possibility that Sully was just bait.

In that case, JR did the best he could do. But still...we should have gotten a pick out of this higher than the 5th we received. I'll be at the game friday night though, and look forward to seeing Cole back.

If only for a short while.

I heard the news on my way home from work, and my immediate thought was that this was great news, and that everyone would be thrilled at Erik coming back. After reading this thread, I was surprised to find out that isn't quite the case, LOL, but it's been interesting reading the different reasons why.

i have been reading a lot of posts about cap space and clearing up cap space. correct me if i am wrong, but aren't the canes well under the cap. they have the self imposed cap, which they need to stop to be more competitive. but in regards to the nhl salary cap they are way under and do not have to worry about that.

We keep that self-imposed cap for a reason. The organization simply doesn't make enough money to justify going over that self-imposed cap. And unless JR and PK feel that the team has a serious chance at the Cup, they won't play up to the NHL cap.

Honestly, how often will you see ANY pro sports player hate on the team he's leaving during a press conference on trade day? NHL players are many times more humble and respectful than other sports in this area. Cole was never a GREAT interview, basically came down neutral in his comments on most issues. He;s not going to say anything to disparae Edmonton, which BY association means some people will interpret it as being he's unhappy leaving. I don't buy it.

Kids settled in school? please. moves happen all the time, kids being settled in school is an issue for everyone and won't be a reason why he's so upset or happy to leave.

I don't think he is. Put aside family things, his kids are now settled in school up there, etc. Look at the way things ended when he left Carolina-I didn't think he wanted to go anywhere and there seemed to be some hard feelings because of it. Even JR alluded to them in one of his pre-season interviews. Cole then said that he was moving on and focusing on being an Oiler. Now maybe he is thrilled and can't wait to get back here, but is downplaying it to not offend his Oiler teammates. I just got the feeling that this wasn't the case. :unsure:

I think Lavi got it right. JR is hoping that this move will spark Staal back into his "normal" performance level. I don't know if that will happen, especially if there is some reluctance on Cole's part, but I really think this is a large part of the decision.

The thing is ... we need someone else to put the puck in the net, we need Staal to play to his potential and we need a little aggresion - Cole fills all these aspects - I read it as a play to get us to the playoffs this year. He will slot in and energise the fan base as well as some of the players (one in particular) it may be enough to nudge us over the line. I understand the cap discussions but I think its a"What can we do quickly to get us playing down the stretch" and in that regard it feels like a good move. Might not be enough but I would rather this than nothing. On consideration I think this is a good move ......we HAVE the ability - we need to catch fire and this gives us an enhanced chance.

Well one thing this trade did was get us excited about hockey in Carolina again. I haven't seen this many posts in such a short time in a while. I'll just add that last year one reason we gave up Cole was to help get a better defense. Many of us thought Cole was to high a price to pay but we knew we needed the trade. This year many of us including me have said we need a big, fast and grind it out along the boards wing who can score to help Staal. This deal does just that and brings back a fan favorite. I don't know if we will make the playoffs or if Cole will be back next year. This move makes us a better hockey team now with a real chance to make the post season.