The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

Well one thing this trade did was get us excited about hockey in Carolina again. I haven't seen this many posts in such a short time in a while. I'll just add that last year one reason we gave up Cole was to help get a better defense. Many of us thought Cole was to high a price to pay but we knew we needed the trade. This year many of us including me have said we need a big, fast and grind it out along the boards wing who can score to help Staal. This deal does just that and brings back a fan favorite. I don't know if we will make the playoffs or if Cole will be back next year. This move makes us a better hockey team now with a real chance to make the post season.

It's a very good trade for the Canes. Justin wasn't going to help this last month, got somebody that could help (Possibly) immediately. Maybe energize Staal....we'll see. Don't see a down side of this trade. Saying that.....I wish we could have picked up Antropov from Toronto. He's a proven goal scorer and could have really helped in the last 18 games. Of course, that would have cost more in a trade, but that would really have had an immediate impact. They have cole replacing ruutu on the depth chart right now. Ruuto goes down to the third line where personally I think he belongs.

HA!

I saw a lady at a game with a Canes jersey and the number 12 and it had "Stahl" like Gunnar Stahl from the Mighty Ducks. Still have the pic on my phone.

Actuallly, it is her last name and it is spelled Stahl. Her husband had it made for her as a Christmas present.

Ya....gotta keep samsonov on the first line...he's the playmaker for that line. Whitney is the playmaker for the 2nd line, the third line...well.....don't get me talking about Brindamour....lol

People need to stop complaining about O'Sullivan not being here. He was never going to play here, and it was never the plan to bring him in. I'll welcome back Cole and it would be real nice if he could take a discount in the summer and re-sign. However this means Ruutu will be forced down a line or two. I dont like that at all. Could it not be possible to move Ruutu to the left side. He is a natural left shot anyway. I know it doesnt suit his game, but it would be awesome to have a gritty yet skillful line of Ruutu-Staal-Cole. I have NO problems with Sammy moving down to the 3rd. Ive never really been fully sold on the guy. Seeing Williams go is tough, he has more potential to score points than Cole, however he isnt helping now. People also need to realize that your not going to get anything without giving up something good in return. Wouldnt everyone just be so happy if we could have traded Brindy for Cole, or Kaberle for Cole. But thats not how it works. Williams was the one LA wanted, and we dont like to see him go, but sometimes you gotta part ways with something good. I wish Justin Williams the BEST of luck.

Sorry if its a bit off-topic, but how did Justin Williams feel about the city, the organazation, the team? Did he like it here?

Honestly, how often will you see ANY pro sports player hate on the team he's leaving during a press conference on trade day? NHL players are many times more humble and respectful than other sports in this area. Cole was never a GREAT interview, basically came down neutral in his comments on most issues. He;s not going to say anything to disparae Edmonton, which BY association means some people will interpret it as being he's unhappy leaving. I don't buy it.

Kids settled in school? please. moves happen all the time, kids being settled in school is an issue for everyone and won't be a reason why he's so upset or happy to leave.

I did say leave his family situation out of the whole equation. :) But I see what you're saying and you could very well be right-like I said he may be thrilled about coming back. Obviously he is unlikely to say "oh I hated Edmonton, thanks for getting me out of there JR" and he is just as unlikely to say "I really never wanted to come back here, but can't do anything about it now." It has to be much easier gettting traded to a place where you have some roots and know the team than being sent somewhere way out of your normal comfort zone. I know he was upset about leaving in the first place, so maybe this is just right for him.

I am going to love seeing Cole back. I do not believe that he is anything but ecstatic to be back. Look at/listen to the interview on the Edmonton site. He's disappointed in himself for not producing more at Edmonton, but I do not get the feeling he does not want to come back. You even might notice a bit of a smile.

http://oilers.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=4&id=35539

He's very competitive, and is probably his own hardest critic. I believe his presence here will only make our team better.

Welcome back, Cole!!!

Well one thing this trade did was get us excited about hockey in Carolina again. I haven't seen this many posts in such a short time in a while. I'll just add that last year one reason we gave up Cole was to help get a better defense. Many of us thought Cole was to high a price to pay but we knew we needed the trade. This year many of us including me have said we need a big, fast and grind it out along the boards wing who can score to help Staal. This deal does just that and brings back a fan favorite. I don't know if we will make the playoffs or if Cole will be back next year. This move makes us a better hockey team now with a real chance to make the post season.

Yeah, and so many posters who have been "absent' or "nonexistent" until now.

I just watched the Cole interview...it's not nearly as bad as some of you are making it out to be lol. I mean listening to Frog you'd think Cole was in tears...IMHO, he is absolutely taking a dive for the media and faking the sadness. I think he might actually not mind coming back here.

In fact, there were several wry smiles during the interview...he might just be happy about it.

HA!

I saw a lady at a game with a Canes jersey and the number 12 and it had "Stahl" like Gunnar Stahl from the Mighty Ducks. Still have the pic on my phone.

That is because her last name is spelled Stahl. I spoke with her last season about it.

*edit* Oops, HRCH already posted this...did not see your post until afterwards!

Sorry to be losing Williams, he's a class act and it was a shame he had such a bad run of luck on the health front during his time with us. That being said, it's no secret that Cole is my favorite player in the league, so that we're bringing him back made my day. :D

I am going to love seeing Cole back. I do not believe that he is anything but ecstatic to be back. Look at/listen to the interview on the Edmonton site. He's disappointed in himself for not producing more at Edmonton, but I do not get the feeling he does not want to come back. You even might notice a bit of a smile.

http://oilers.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=4&id=35539''>http://oilers.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=4&id=35539' target="_blank">http://oilers.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=4&id=35539[/post]

He's very competitive, and is probably his own hardest critic. I believe his presence here will only make our team better.

Welcome back, Cole!!!

And I made a comment about new posters. Thanks CanesFever for posting the link. Welcome to the boards! I didn't think the interview was nearly as drastic (negative that is) as some earlier posts have suggested. Colesy seems genuine and ready to move on. He seems more surprised and caught off guard as anything else.

And I made a comment about new posters. Thanks CanesFever for posting the link. Welcome to the boards! I didn't think the interview was nearly as drastic (negative that is) as some earlier posts have suggested. Colesy seems genuine and ready to move on. He seems more surprised and caught off guard as anything else.

Alright, I will go ahead and say this-I was wrong. :) He does in fact seem pretty happy about heading back here. Maybe it was the initial shock that I mistook for unhappiness about the deal.

So I had some time to let this trade sink in a bit, I think after reading all the initial post here, there has been a lot of knee jerk reactions, mainly due to a player returning to the team that sparks a lot of emotions (good and bad). Basically it boils down to a low risk, high potential move that JR loves to make.

We all know or should know by now that PO wasn't going to play here with his personal issues here, and I don't blame him for it either. trading a guy that wasn't going to play here (Or really fit in as far as his skill set as far as I can make of it) for a player who is a power forward we know and need is not that high of a risk. Dumping the salary of a player who has been a spectator for the better part of two seasons on top of that makes financial sense as well (No disrespect for willy). According to the N&O regarding salary, "Rutherford said the Canes would pick up a pro-rated portion of Cole's $4 million salary of $500,000. ". I don't see how this is not worth the risk, and we didn't trade away our future in return of it. What happens in the off-season regarding Cole's UFA status is up to him and how he plays, so there isn't any sense in worrying about it, either he preforms and we can sign him or he walks.

Although with most trades, I will probably play it safe and say lets see how he looks on the ice and then judge. We know him pretty well here but I think that anything is possible, everyone thought Samsonov (funny autospelling wants me to correct Samsonov for samsonite...) was washed up and worthless and has been productive. Ruutu was bashed as well and has become a force on our team. Sometimes a change (return?) of scenery can work wonders. We will see.

Alright, I will go ahead and say this-I was wrong. :) He does in fact seem pretty happy about heading back here. Maybe it was the initial shock that I mistook for unhappiness about the deal.

That's what I'm talking about.....good post rm!

Agree with both you and coastal. I think he may be a little disappointed it didn't work

out in Edmonton but get the feeling he isn't that unhappy to be headed back home.