The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

Alright, I will go ahead and say this-I was wrong. :) He does in fact seem pretty happy about heading back here. Maybe it was the initial shock that I mistook for unhappiness about the deal.

Agree with both you and coastal. I think he may be a little disappointed it didn't work

out in Edmonton but get the feeling he isn't that unhappy to be headed back home.

Wasn't surprised that Cole was traded, but back to Carolina? I guess I'm one of the few who like the trade, we needed that kind of forward who can find his way to the net. Hopefully this gets Staal motivated.

Hey folks, lets give this thing a chance to play out. There were lots of people upset that Cole was traded for Pitkanen when that trade was made. Was it worth it? Not for me to say, Pitkanen has had his good & bad.

For now at least, we bring in someone who is familiar with the system, most of the other players, the coaches, GM, owner and the area and is ready to step out on the ice and play. He can easily pair up with Staal and it may be the spark that they both need put some points up.

Unfortunately, Williams has been injured and hasn't played up to his healthy potential. Believe me, I wish there had been another way to bring Cole back than trade Williams (my wife is very upset). Who knows, maybe Erik will think about the cold Edmonton winter and decide that NC is a nice place to live, work and retire and give us a hometown discount when it comes time to talk contract.

If it doesn't work out and Cole leaves for more money at least JR did something to try to improve the club in the interm to make the playoffs.

If he had done nothing there would have still been plenty of "what was JR thinking posts"...

I can't wait until Friday. I know Cole is not the compelte answer to our playoff hopes, but you know he will energize our crowd. I will guarentee you as soon as his skates hit the RBC ice he will feel at home, as there are many, many Caniacs who will be on their feet, including yours truly. The more I think about this trade, the more I think JR is one shrewd GM. If Cole happens to score Friday, that place will go absolutely NUTS! A big hit or three wouldn't be too bad either. Well, we've all said our piece and it's all just left to the GDT on Friday. I for one, am lucky enough to be there. I'm getting chills thinking about it. Go CANES!!!!!

I just watched the Cole interview...it's not nearly as bad as some of you are making it out to be lol. I mean listening to Frog you'd think Cole was in tears...IMHO, he is absolutely taking a dive for the media and faking the sadness. I think he might actually not mind coming back here.

In fact, there were several wry smiles during the interview...he might just be happy about it.

Wow yeah, just watched it too, and he does look happy! Weird how so many people said he was pissed. I think Cole coming back will make a lot of the team happy and hopefully provide a spark.

Whew, long thread here, seems that most early posters were unhappy with the trade but those coming in later are pleased. We all hate to lose Justin but c'mon, the guy needed a change. Physically, he could not get a break, just one major injury after another. You have to think that the guy is feeling at least a bit of a jinx here in Raleigh. My guess is that he is happy to be traded just to get a fresh start somewhere else. He might not have picked LA but look on the bright side, he gets to play with Jack Johnson! I just hope that if he doesn't come back to the Canes, that he stays out west where can't hurt us. I really do wish him all the best and hope that he is able to stay healthy and return to his All-Star form. I appreciate all that he did for the Canes. This is a trade that works for us. I can't understand why so many are saying that we made a bad trade where we are trading away future talent in an attempt to make the playoffs this year. That is what they are supposed to do. Live in the now, if you can "sniff" the playoffs then you have to do whatever you can to get there. 8th seed or better, it doesn't really matter, get there get hot. That is one of the things that is so cool about hockey. I think that this trade is a good one that makes the most sense, Cole knows the system, most of the players and he is very popular. Theres even a possibility that he might help light a lamp under a certain video game coverboy. Lets all hope for the best. Oh yeah, got my tickets for Friday! Welcome home Erik.

And CenterIce (=$169). :)

And a deal at that price. I absolutely adore Center-Ice. I can watch my old play, like the Blackhawks, Ladd. Keep up on a dull night by watching Ovie or Sid play. Earlier this season I was aghast at how horrible Ottawa was playing. I was sure that they were going to dump more players this trade deadline. When I want to watch absolutely fabulous hockey, I turn on the Wings. Saw Cole play a lot this year (I'm a closet insomniac) and figured he was ripe for a change. Just not clicking in Edmonton. I hate regular TV. American Idol and reality TV that is what we have today, not my thing. Give me hockey and I'm happy.

Just the other morning on XM they were talking about young, skilled players and O'Sullivan was mentioned. Lots of glowing raves about the kid. I didn't know he was the game winning goal scorer for USA at the 04 Junior Worlds. Would have been nice to have kept him.

I just watched the Cole interview...it's not nearly as bad as some of you are making it out to be lol. I mean listening to Frog you'd think Cole was in tears...IMHO, he is absolutely taking a dive for the media and faking the sadness. I think he might actually not mind coming back here.

In fact, there were several wry smiles during the interview...he might just be happy about it.

Yeah, that wasn't the interview with Cole that I was talking about. Like I said, they had a phone call with Cole immediately after the trade broke on TSN, and he didn't sound happy. Could have been shock, yeah, but that's a completely different interview than the one I was talking about.

Just the other morning on XM they were talking about young, skilled players and O'Sullivan was mentioned. Lots of glowing raves about the kid. I didn't know he was the game winning goal scorer for USA at the 04 Junior Worlds. Would have been nice to have kept him.

Kaberle scored game winning goal in SCF and we kept him. Don't we all wish we didn't?

O'Sullivan is grossly overrated. He is just another small skilled extremely streaky complimentary forward we have plenty of.

It feels that the main reason people here like him is because he was born in NC, hence, lots of sentiments.

THe Oil message board is overwhelmingly filled with fans sad to see Cole go. About half of them mention how hard working he was and a class act. Sounds a lot like us when he was initially traded.

The problem isn't trading away Williams or getting Cole, but if I understand correctly--JR traded Williams and O'sullivan for an exchange of 2nd round picks, a 5th round (next to worthless) pick and Cole? A player who is signed, a future RFA, what will be a better 2nd round pick for Cole, a future UFA and a throwaway pick? That my friends, is getting hosed.

Someone, please remind me of Zetterberg's draft number..... oh yeah, he's a 7th round pick

*sarcasm warning*

I'm not going to list any other "worthless" late round draft picks. Anyone curious can take a look at the Red Wings lineup to determine those truly awful late round picks. I mean geez. Those Wings are just a disgrace to hockey with their late rounders playing top minutes, and not to mention the players that weren't drafted. (and by the way, Red Wings is akin to cursing at me, but they were the first example to come to mind when I read the above post)

I am excited to have Cole back. Am I sure that this trade is for the best? That remains to be seen. Regardless, I love the Canes and support the team. Here's hoping we see the play-offs.

As far as the draft pick..... we may have just struck gold, but we won't know until it happens.

Of course it's about money. If the franchise does not make money, eventually it will have to move and I don't want that.

Everything said at the press conference made sense to me.

I am sorry to see Williams go, but Cole can play right now and he can't.

I would like to see this deal be a success for the sake of every fan.

I heard that same segement and they were raving about his scouting and career potential. Of course it was in the context of the Kings and all their young talent and how they're coming into their own a little ahead of schedule, but they did spend a lot of time singling him out. Nice to see a local boy make a name for himself out there.

Dmonk, Im not reading that people wanted him just because he was a local boy. His ties to the state (for the good and bad) have been mentioned but I think its more about the potential upside of a young goal scorer not even in his prime yet vs Cole who may or may not have already reached his. Maybe some just feel that looking to the future would have been a better option this season.

As far as the draft pick..... we may have just struck gold, but we won't know until it happens.

Yep, good points though like Frog said no ones drafting is anywhere near the level of Detroit's. However since 2006 I think our draft picks have had really high success rates. McBain leads college defenseman in scoring and he was a 2nd rounder, Dalpe was a 2nd round pick and he is doing great in his freshman year at OSU, Bowman was a 3rd rounder, and Murphy was an absolute robbery in the 6th round (though he is unorthodox, he can still get the job done... I'm hoping it can translate into the AHL and NHL) If I remember correctly Nabokov was a very late round pick too... Possibly 9th?

Overall I am glad Cole is back, if nothing else the Canes will at least have a packed RBC Center to play at during the home stretch at the end of the year.

Yeah, that wasn't the interview with Cole that I was talking about. Like I said, they had a phone call with Cole immediately after the trade broke on TSN, and he didn't sound happy. Could have been shock, yeah, but that's a completely different interview than the one I was talking about.

Ah, my apologies then. Well, I still don't think it's as bad as I originally thought it was.

Or maybe that's just my hope winning out.

I heard that same segement and they were raving about his scouting and career potential. Of course it was in the context of the Kings and all their young talent and how they're coming into their own a little ahead of schedule, but they did spend a lot of time singling him out.

Amazing how well LA has done since trading Belanger??? Sarcasm alert

Actually, I thought I was involved in a fairly good discussion of the pros and cons of the trade with some fairly knowledgable hockey fans who happen to root for the Canes. Not much crying in this one IMO, just a bunch of guys and gals? talking about the trade. Don't you have homework to do?

Nope they don't do homework in 2nd grade... Now on to more important messages.

TO those of you biatchin about getting Cole back settle down... The guy has been playing with the likes of Keith Aucoin, Mike Ryan and Chad Larose in Edmonton on his Off Side most of this year. He has just recently been playing on the right side and with some marginal skill players. I have watched alot of the EO games on center ice and I will summarize his play this way... Cole would tear down the ice flash across the crease ready to dish the puck to an Oiler only to find they were just getting into the zone and no where close to being set up for the pass. He either "didn't fit" Mac T's style or Mac T was unwilling to utilize his skills of hard driving into the zone with the puck. Cole will help Staal in that regard. I will be the first to admit that after his neck injury Cole was very tentative but in the last few months he has been playing like the "old Erik". There is a good likelyhood that Cole won't give us a hometown discount to sign back here this summer so in essence we are using him as a rental. We shall see where that goes.

For those questioning him being "happy" to be back here... He couldn't really say I'm happy to be getting out of this frozen hell in ALberta and they talked to him moments after he found out. I don't think he was real happy leaving the job unfinished there but I cant help but think he is anxious to get on with it in Raleigh. I don't really think he can come back here and do anything but be happy to be back with Eric and play hard. Like they always said your not playing for the contract you're under you're playing for your next one. As an UFA he has alot of incentive to be happy and produce results in the next 6 weeks.

What we gave up... We dumped 7+Million of Salary in the next 2 years and with the state of the economy this will more than likely prove to be a good move since the cap will be going down and with that salaries of players Like JWILL. Never mind the fact that Jwill has been pretty much in the press booth for the last 2 years. Patty O would have been nice to have but I believe that since his Dad lives in Winston Salem that him coming to Raleigh would have been a little too close to bad memories even though he still has a restraining order against his dad being around him.

Amazing how well LA has done since trading Belanger??? Sarcasm alert

Didnt Karmanos use Belanger as an excuse why the Canes didnt play well under Lavi...or something like that?

Here's an analysis of the trade from the blogger at "in the crease". I think he's probably spot on.

Analysis: Sabres, Canes, Kings, Oilers trades

Carolina sent Justin Williams to Los Angeles for Patrick O'Sullivan and a second-round pick. Carolina then traded O'Sullivan and its own second-round pick to Edmonton for Erik Cole and a fifth-round pick. Edmonton then traded a second-round pick (unclear if it's the pick acquired in the Cole trade) to Buffalo for Ales Kotalik.

Edmonton gets: Kotalik, O'Sullivan. Edmonton loses: Cole, fifth-round pick.

Carolina gets: Cole, fifth-round pick. Carolina loses: Williams, second-round pick.

L.A. gets: Williams. L.A. loses: O'Sullivan, second-round pick

Buffalo gets: Second-round pick. Buffalo loses: Ales Kotalik

OK, so who wins, who loses?

The Oilers picked up a good, young center with some upside in O'Sullivan and a talented, if enigmatic, winger in Kotalik. If you're an Oilers fan, how can you complain about GM Kevin Lowe picking up two talented players for Cole, who was set to become a free agent, and a fifth-round pick? O'Sullivan is solid playmaker who may be able to help star winger Ales Hemsky and Kotalik has a bullet shot that should help their power play.

The Sabres also win by getting a second-round pick for Kotalik, whose up-and-down career in Buffalo was coming to an inglorious end. He was headed for free agency, so why not get something for him?

I can understand Carolina's thinking in getting Cole back. He was a key player for them during their Stanley Cup year and they needed a spark to help them win a playoff spot. Williams, who scored 30 goals for the 'Canes in 2005-06 and '06-07, had been hampered by injuries and wasn't contributing much. He was due to earn $3.5 million against the cap in the next two seasons, so eliminating his contract was a smart move if they were convinced he was never going to regain his 30-goal form.

The Kings stand to lose the most in this deal. Williams' injuries weren't minor -- ACL and MCL tears in his left knee in 2007 and an ACL tear in his right knee in 2008. There's no guarantee a player with two rebuilt knees will ever be the same. And if he's not, they're on the hook for $3.5 million against the cap for the next two years. On top of that, they had to give up O'Sullivan and a second-round pick for him. I don't get it.

I thought we also got a 2nd round pick that Edmonton had, but it was Calgary's or something, is that not correct?

That second rounder went to Buffalo for Kotalik...I think.