The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

Ok, Williams has proven to be a guy who is hurt a lot. I get trading him. It sucks b/c if these last three injuries are nothing but flukes and he is 90% healthy the rest of his career, you just gave up a two time 30 goal scorer.

I understand we need help on the right.

But Erik Cole?

C'mon JR. The guy is doing NOTHING this year. He is one hit from career being over and possibly his life changing forever. I loved watching the guy before the hit from Orpik, but since, he has done nothing. Lots of better options than Cole. Both LA and Edmonton got steals in this. We are clearly in a distant third in this race.

How do you know he re-signs here? So now you just gave up Williams for a rental player and I assure you, there are better rentals out there than Erik Cole.

The irony in all of this today - the hit from Orpik, exactly 3 years ago today.

So who are all of these better options? IMO Cole is the the best option - adds speed, grit, scoring and probably a lot of heart back that the Canes have been missing. Also the obvious benefit of taking the pressure off Staal and complimenting his game.

As far as the neck injury - do you have some inside info that overrides what his own doctors have told him and also the team? Do you think the Oil would have wanted him had the MD's given him anything other than a 100% "green light" to play. You said it yourself - 3 years ago. Technically speaking every player in the league is "one hit away from career being over" especially if its an Orpik style cheap shot.

If Mctavish had played him on the right side I'd bet his numbers would be better.

I could care less about JR's history of bringing former Canes back - Cole makes the most sense precisely because of his history with the club and is a proven fit with Staal.

Name several of these "better rentals" or your "assurances" ring a little hollow to me.

That second rounder went to Buffalo for Kotalik...I think.

"The Hurricanes dealt right wing Justin Williams to the Kings in exchange for center Patrick O'Sullivan and a second-round pick (acquired by Los Angeles from Calgary) in the 2009 Draft. The Hurricanes then traded O'Sullivan and their own second-round pick in the '09 Draft to Edmonton for Cole and Edmonton's fifth-round pick in the '09."

Thats what it says on NHL.com's article. So we get Edmonton's 5th and Calgary's 2nd, and Edmonton gets our 2nd I think...

Didnt Karmanos use Belanger as an excuse why the Canes didnt play well under Lavi...or something like that?

Here's an analysis of the trade from the blogger at "in the crease". I think he's probably spot on.

Analysis: Sabres, Canes, Kings, Oilers trades

Carolina sent Justin Williams to Los Angeles for Patrick O'Sullivan and a second-round pick. Carolina then traded O'Sullivan and its own second-round pick to Edmonton for Erik Cole and a fifth-round pick. Edmonton then traded a second-round pick (unclear if it's the pick acquired in the Cole trade) to Buffalo for Ales Kotalik.

Edmonton gets: Kotalik, O'Sullivan. Edmonton loses: Cole, fifth-round pick.

Carolina gets: Cole, fifth-round pick. Carolina loses: Williams, second-round pick.

L.A. gets: Williams. L.A. loses: O'Sullivan, second-round pick

Buffalo gets: Second-round pick. Buffalo loses: Ales Kotalik

OK, so who wins, who loses?

The Oilers picked up a good, young center with some upside in O'Sullivan and a talented, if enigmatic, winger in Kotalik. If you're an Oilers fan, how can you complain about GM Kevin Lowe picking up two talented players for Cole, who was set to become a free agent, and a fifth-round pick? O'Sullivan is solid playmaker who may be able to help star winger Ales Hemsky and Kotalik has a bullet shot that should help their power play.

The Sabres also win by getting a second-round pick for Kotalik, whose up-and-down career in Buffalo was coming to an inglorious end. He was headed for free agency, so why not get something for him?

I can understand Carolina's thinking in getting Cole back. He was a key player for them during their Stanley Cup year and they needed a spark to help them win a playoff spot. Williams, who scored 30 goals for the 'Canes in 2005-06 and '06-07, had been hampered by injuries and wasn't contributing much. He was due to earn $3.5 million against the cap in the next two seasons, so eliminating his contract was a smart move if they were convinced he was never going to regain his 30-goal form.

The Kings stand to lose the most in this deal. Williams' injuries weren't minor -- ACL and MCL tears in his left knee in 2007 and an ACL tear in his right knee in 2008. There's no guarantee a player with two rebuilt knees will ever be the same. And if he's not, they're on the hook for $3.5 million against the cap for the next two years. On top of that, they had to give up O'Sullivan and a second-round pick for him. I don't get it.

Kings did take a big risk...however if Justin comes back to his old self they are far and away the winners of this deal by getting a solid two-way forward, its a big-time risk-reward situation.

Kings did take a big risk...however if Justin comes back to his old self they are far and away the winners of this deal by getting a solid two-way forward, its a big-time risk-reward situation.

With all their young players, they must really have wanted JWillie and his experience to take that risk. Not sure why they were so quick to deal O'Sullivan though unless they were really deep at center.

You know what they say the best trade is one that works out well for everyone. I hope it is a good deal for LA and I hope Justin Williams has great seasons. But that doesn't mean they got the better of the deal only as good a deal we might get. Time will tell I guess.

You know what they say the best trade is one that works out well for everyone. I hope it is a good deal for LA and I hope Justin Williams has great seasons. But that doesn't mean they got the better of the deal only as good a deal we might get. Time will tell I guess.

I really like this move. First, I like Williams as much as anybody. He's a great player when he's healthy, problem is, that isn't often. Are the injuries his fault, well no, but some guys are just snake bit when it comes to staying healthy. We had a couple of years left on his contract and if he contributed as much those two as the last three, he will do almost as much for us in L.A. as he would have here.

Cole is a fan favorite and face it folks, selling tickets is part of the deal. It is a business remember. Cole can step in and contribute immediately and Williams wasn't on the ice. J.R. makes a trade that helps us immediately and not only doesn't hurt us in the long run, it helps us when you consider dumping Williams contract if he stays on I.R. all the time. Cole is UFA at the end of this season so maybe we resign him. At least we get somebody who can skate this Friday. We can't afford to wait until the playoffs and hope we are still playing when Williams comes back.

Does this get Staal in another gear? Who knows, but J.R. really isn't taking a big chance here. If it works, we make the playoffs. If it doesn't, at least the team and the fans know we did something. As far as the people complaining about not keeping O'Sullivan, he may have been better long run, but this team needs to make the playoffs this season.

I like this move. A ton of possible upside with little to no risk. A prototypical J.R. move.

Agreed. Its a good move. Lets see how it works. If we can keep Ruutu and Cole this off season and with the full-time addition of Conboy, this team is finally headed towards being a little bigger.

I'm not usually much of a talker, but I've been reading this post diligently, and I feel I have to say something.

For all you people who are complaining about the fact that we had O'Sullivan, and let him go, I have a couple of phrases for you...

"Sylvain Turgeon"

"Paul Lawless"

"Rob Brown"

"John Cullen"

O'Sullivan, while looking like he has an offensive upside, is still quite young, and there is no guarantee he will reach his potential, let alone maintain it for an extended period of time. All of the players listed above were listed as young players with great offensive potential. All of them had a few years of decent production, then fizzled and faded into obscurity. Given how much we've heard about O'Sullivan, (personally, not a whole lot, and I watch a LOT of hockey), I believe that O'Sullivan would have been one of those players who played well for a year or two, and ended up being yelled at by fans for taking up too much salary cap space in relation to his dropping production, and ending up having his contract bought out or put on waivers in the hopes that somebody wants him (A La Kaberle)

I think that this trade was about 2 things, and ONLY 2 things

1. Staal

This is an attempt to give Staal a shot in the arm, maybe give him someone who he already has demonstrated chemistry with. If we can get Staal back on track, our fight for the playoffs becomes a whole lot easier. If it doesn't work then...

2. Flexibility

If bringing back Cole doesn't work out, we can just let him go at season's end. We are going to have some young forwards coming up who would be anxious for a chance, and who would be far less of a hit to the pocketbook. Williams still had another year (I believe) on his contract. If Cole doesn't work out, it makes it easier to re-sign LaRose, as an example. Given the current state of the economy, this may have been more of a factor that people think. Cole only makes $500k more than Williams, (once again, I may have to check my figures...), and we're not on the hook for that salary after the season ends.

Anyway, just my 2 cents...

Doesn't management know by recycling players they won't be able to sell as many jerseys!?

Maybe they should start rotating numbers?

1. Staal

This is an attempt to give Staal a shot in the arm, maybe give him someone who he already has demonstrated chemistry with. If we can get Staal back on track, our fight for the playoffs becomes a whole lot easier. If it doesn't work then...

2. Flexibility

If bringing back Cole doesn't work out, we can just let him go at season's end. We are going to have some young forwards coming up who would be anxious for a chance, and who would be far less of a hit to the pocketbook. Williams still had another year (I believe) on his contract. If Cole doesn't work out, it makes it easier to re-sign LaRose, as an example. Given the current state of the economy, this may have been more of a factor that people think. Cole only makes $500k more than Williams, (once again, I may have to check my figures...), and we're not on the hook for that salary after the season ends.

Yes, quite right.

I do believe that JR does admit to a few mistakes.... Cullen come to mind right away. The Cole trade part one hasn't worked well for Staal. The lack of production from Staal is worrisome. He had a hell of a year after the allstar break. Fizzes this year. Eric Franchise needs help.... Erik to the rescue. If it works, genius. If not, we're not tied to him.

I'm not usually much of a talker, but I've been reading this post diligently, and I feel I have to say something.

For all you people who are complaining about the fact that we had O'Sullivan, and let him go, I have a couple of phrases for you...

"Sylvain Turgeon"

"Paul Lawless"

"Rob Brown"

"John Cullen"

O'Sullivan, while looking like he has an offensive upside, is still quite young, and there is no guarantee he will reach his potential, let alone maintain it for an extended period of time. All of the players listed above were listed as young players with great offensive potential. All of them had a few years of decent production, then fizzled and faded into obscurity. Given how much we've heard about O'Sullivan, (personally, not a whole lot, and I watch a LOT of hockey), I believe that O'Sullivan would have been one of those players who played well for a year or two, and ended up being yelled at by fans for taking up too much salary cap space in relation to his dropping production, and ending up having his contract bought out or put on waivers in the hopes that somebody wants him (A La Kaberle)

1. Staal

2. Flexibility

Agreed... On a different note, JR seemed to talk like Cole WANTED to come back. I'm curious to see where everyone heard that Cole didn't want to be back here (sorry I'm not up to date folks... I was house shopping today!)

It really is quite... odd for lack of a better word how many times JR has recycled people in this organization. Cole, Babchuk, Mo, Cullen, Tanabe, Ron Francis (not sure if he traded Francis or not), it was rumored we were trying to reacquire Gerber, we tried to get Jeff O'Neill back and running... anyone else I forget?

Welcome Back Eric!

I've bought my ticket on Ticketmaster and will be driving from

Asheville wearing my Cole Jersey to cheer on the Canes. If nothing

else this is a economic victory for JR--the tickets on Ebay, Stubhub, etc

basically dried up within hours of the announcement.

But I suspect it will be more. Go Eric! Go Canes!

Yea, he looks absolutely THRILLED..... :mellow:

yea. its hard to say how he feels about it. but if i had to guess, he doesnt seem excited. i wonder if its bc he had hopes of going to boston and being a true contender? it was rumored cole told close friends he was going to end up there.... who the hell knows man. who knows. i do know that before this trade, i thought the team had no chance of making the playoffs. now i say its 50-50.

Welcome Back Eric!

I've bought my ticket on Ticketmaster and will be driving from

Asheville wearing my Cole Jersey to cheer on the Canes. If nothing

else this is a economic victory for JR--the tickets on Ebay, Stubhub, etc

basically dried up within hours of the announcement.

But I suspect it will be more. Go Eric! Go Canes!

driving from asheville? you are a true fan!

I thought he looked excited more than anything to come back. Obviously he's not gona be on Canada's TSN and say "Yea other than Mactavish playing me on the wrong side of the ice 3/4 of the season and having to go back to a place that Iv only known about all my NHL career and won a Stanley Cup with and more of a fan favorite there than I was here Edmonton, but other than that everything was working out great here so Im kinda confused."

Once he hits that ice at the RBC Center and the fans go CRAZY, it will be like he never left. I said a couple of days ago when Boston was in the lead to get him I hope JR can pull something out of his hat and get him back. Thanks JR for making this happen.

On the one hand, not really the move I was hoping for. On the other hand it looked like JR was going to do nothing as this came in very late. So it is better than doing nothing. I don't personally think this move is likely to make much diffrence. Cole was here before the trade and was not enough to put the team over the top. Is he better now? Not sure. He has not put up great numbers.

On the other hand, maybe he will get Staal going (though he didn't last year), and maybe he will be so fired up to be back with the Canes that he will have a good run. Even though Williams has been so injured, I still think he has more potential than Cole, but Cole can play now, so that makes some sense.

This happened so late, I wonder if JR was trying to do something a little more but just couldn't pull it off and this was the fall back. Well at least he made a move. Maybe Cole will find his old magic.