The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

6'2 205pounds is pretty big for a winger... only a hand full with his size and speed in the NHL. How many wingers do we have on our team with his size ? not manyif any. Plus he plays a physical style of hockey on Ruutu brings so I think Cole is big and plays big.

But keep looking for the negativity thats what you do best. Make sure every post you make has JR and Staal suck in it. Make some new points because your obsessed with negativity with them.

You say negativity, I say reality. And I'll thank you to cease putting words in my mouth. Show me one post where I've said *either* JR or Staal "suck." You won't find it, because that's never been my belief. They are both underachieving on a grand scale.

And please KC, tell me you don't actually believe the vital stats in this (or any) team's media guide. The only way Erik's 6'-2" 205 is in full gear -- including skates.

I don't have a problem with Erik Cole returning, but I don't understand what the front office is thinking. I always believed you have to change to get better. This organization seems to regress in that cases. Bringing back a coach who flamed out and now a player who was along for the ride the past two non-post season years. Why not address the real problems of this team. A real #1 or 2 defensman and goaltending depth. Good luck to Erik and here is to the Canes making a run, but I for one just want to see something different. Something to lead me to believe that this team wants to win and not just breed familiararity. Personally I would have liked to see O'Sullivan since he is much younger than Cole.

For those who make the arguement that now Staal has his buddie back, I say if a 7 million dollar grown man needs a security blanket to play hard then he is not a man at all.

This deal is just a deal, not a great deal, not a big deal, just a nothing deal to maybe shake it up a little. That's the problem though, it's just the same old, same old. Much like Mo returning, who cares. Canes acquire Cole, big friggin' deal. Been there, done that with Mo and Cole. This team is really starting to bore me to death with it's much ado about nothing moves. JR should have stopped after aquiring O'Sullivan. I could have got behind that.

It is frustrating at times that this organization doesnt look for a new fresh idea but this time, I think this was really the best option they had that could accomplish a few different things. If Im JR, Im not willing to risk the future to fix the present when its not guaranteed we even make the playoffs. Cole is no risk deal that puts a healthy player on the ice in place of an injured one in the press box. The money is the most important thing moving forward since this team works under a tight budget and now we'll have a little freedom this summer to find the right pieces if Cole doesnt work out. As for JR's other options, I have a feeling there werent any unless he considered trading Ruutu, and I think Ruutu will be a priority signing in the off season.

I cant tell you for certain but I really think this deal wouldnt have happened without all three teams in agreement to start and I dont think that O'Sullivan was ever in the plans for Carolina, he was just a necessary piece to make the deal happen. I like that JR has added size and speed with Cole so its at least a move in the right direction. This team desperately needs size and power and O'Sullivan wouldnt have provided that.

For those who make the arguement that now Staal has his buddie back, I say if a 7 million dollar grown man needs a security blanket to play hard then he is not a man at all.

For what it's worth, I've played a lot of basketball in my life. Even with pick up games with guys from church, I can tell you that there are just one or two guys out there that I just play better with. I've got a friend that he and I just think alike on the court and although neither one of us is great, we play better together than we do on opposite teams. I know where he is going at all times and what he is thinking. It's the same way for him.

Maybe this is the deal with Staal and Cole. I don't take it as a slight on Staal's manhood, just a reality that maybe these two guys have good chemistry.

I was really disappointed to see him go, and have been only wearing my Cole jersey/shirts whenever I wear anything Carolina in protest.

I am glad Cole is back.

JR, what the hell are you doing?

Will someone please march into his office and replace that out-dated 2006 calender with a current 2009. Oh great, we've exchanged a guy with a broken hand to one who had a broken neck and a UFA. If he walks, we've lost a 2nd and Williams for nothing.

Every other team's fanbase huddles around the deadline Christmas tree trying to welcome new players. We seem to get rewrapped gifts we tried to take back to the store last year. This is ridiculous. I was excited to hear we got O'Sullivan...sure enough JR goes out of the way to screw it up.

Cheer up everyone, you just saved 500 bucks on unnecessary tickets.

Amen brother.

soo i like erik... dont get me wrong

BUTTTT WHYY TRADEEEEEEE

WE OBVIOUSLY GET RID OF PLAYERS(COACHES)

FOR A REASONNNN WHY DO WE

ALWAYS MANAGE TO GET THEM BACKKKK!?!?!

SEEERRRIOOUUSLLYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!??????

it is completley beyond me whyyy we cant

shake things up, but our necks out there

and make a bigg freakkingggg trade....

i mean common lets trade and get someone

big down here... whats it gonna hurt?!

but noooo why do that when we can trade

for the same players... over... and over...

AND OVER again!!!!

all i gotta say is wow JR... woooowwwwww

I am somewhat surprised at the negative reaction to this deal. Even fans of Williams would have to admit he wasn't helping the Canes, and his short periods of availability featured a shadow of his former self. So I don't see how anyone thinks the Canes got the bad end of Cole for Williams.

I can't speak about Williams for O'Sullivan, since we have no idea whether Patrick would have wanted to play here. You have to remember that Patrick despises his father who still lives here in the state. There is an active restraining order against him from being near Patrick due to physical altercations in the past. That can't be a healthy environment, and is the reason he has made comments about not wanting to play here.. it wasn't the team, or the city; it was a family issue.

I also don't remotely equate bringing back Cole with bringing back Maurice. Each 'retread' has to be evaluated separately, and you have to include the reasons they left. Maurice left because he lost the team, and no one wanted to play for him. At the time of his departure, Cole was slipping, admittedly.. but mainly he left because he was in the last year of his contract, and JR wanted to chase yet another 'offensive defenseman'. The positive qualities Erik brought to the team really have never been replaced; the team has generally lacked any sort of power game since Cole skated out the door. Not to mention.. who has been selecting the locker room music?

There can be positive benefits to bringing back a player who played well here but struggled elsewhere.. just look at how much Cullen has meant to this year's team. I don't want to imagine what the Canes record would be without his steady offensive performance. So, I am choosing to approach Cole's return with a positive outlook. I understand the move from both a performance and a public relations perspective, and were I in JR's shoes, would have done the same thing.

So what is the exact incentive given to the Canes by the Federal Government for being the most "green" team in the NHL. Maybe the green Whalers uniforms should be brought back to represent the state of mind of the front office.

Carboard

Tin Cans

Beer Bottles

Maurice

Cole

"We recycle everything"

I was very disappointed when Eric was traded to Edmonton but I'm not sure that bringing him back is what we need. O'Sullivan would have been exciting to watch. He is a North Carolina guy that was raised in Winston Salem and has a very promising future. I wonder if the future is what JR is building or living in the past.

GO CANES :)

I think the restraining order against his father only applies in Canada (unfortunately). Pat's dad beat him up one night while he was a teenager and the family was living in Toronto and it was a Canadian judge who issued the order. His dad was at the NHL draft in Nashville (2003?) when Pat was drafted by Minnesota. And his dad was supposedly in the RBC Center the night when the Kings played here last year. Security was beefed up and on high alert. With his dad still living in Winston-Salem, I don't think there was EVER any possibility that Pat would play in Raleigh. Hockey is a business, yeah, but I can't see ANY team doing something like what Pat would be put through if he was forced to play here. See the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_O%27S...an_(ice_hockey)

On this trade, for me at least the question is "How shall I compare thee?"

Shall I compare the to the moves that picked up Recci and Weight? Or, shall I compare the to doing nothing?

There is no question that for this year only, this trade improves our team and does increase our chance of making the playoffs (though maybe not as much if you compare it to the upgrades on teams we're chasing). Since Williams is reportedly out for another 3-4 weeks, Cole basically has to be better than our 9th forward to be an upgrade, and he is most definitely that. We can argue about whether he has performed like a first liner for the past 2 years (he has not), but he clearly improves our top 9 forwards. It sounds like he is here in part to try to jump start Staal. If he can do that it will have been worth it and we will make the playoffs. No matter which line he ends up on he will in effect push the forwards below him on the depth chart down and ultimately an AHL'er gets pushed off. Cole may not be producing like a first liner, but he is still better than a minor leauger. So he is an upgrade and does help our chances.

I personally think a lot of people are projecting the old Cole on the current Cole and may be expecting too much. I would point out though that Cole was very much a part of the team that slid back terribly last year, and he hardly jump started Staal then. And for those who think he will produce more in a new system, and a change of scenery, well JR seems to think that too, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but just remember that he was traded out of the most wide open system in the league because he was not producing. But maybe this time will be different. As a fan I really want to see him do well.

So, Cole is an upgrade, may jump start Staal and is much better than no move at all. But, I guess I was hoping for more of a new direction. Perhaps it would have cost too much, or shook up the chemistry too much, etc. But I was really hoping to bring in some new blood with a bit more proven point production. Like, say, when we got Weight and Recci. So compared to that move, not so great. Compared to what some other teams got, not so great.

I suspect that JR was looking at Jokenin, Andropov, etc. and just couldn't get the right deal (I know he is saying that he wanted Cole all along, but that is what he will always say after the deal. Come on, used car sales, uh, GM talk 101. In the end, I still trust JR and suspect that we would have had to give up too much, and the team is just not good enough to justify betting it all on this year. In the end I can accept this move, root for the team and Cole to recapture some eneregy and make a run.

It may be a little dissapointing when J. Willy heals and scores 30 goals next year, but other than that it was a low risk move.

In the end I, for one still think JR is a very good GM and trust that he made the best deal he could. Go Eric (s). Go Canes!

This happened so late, I wonder if JR was trying to do something a little more but just couldn't pull it off and this was the fall back. Well at least he made a move. Maybe Cole will find his old magic.

I heard that LA wanted to review Justin's MRI/X-rays from his knee and talk to their team doctors before agreeing to the deal. That could have been the hold up.

I am somewhat surprised at the negative reaction to this deal. Even fans of Williams would have to admit he wasn't helping the Canes, and his short periods of availability featured a shadow of his former self. So I don't see how anyone thinks the Canes got the bad end of Cole for Williams.

I can't speak about Williams for O'Sullivan, since we have no idea whether Patrick would have wanted to play here. You have to remember that Patrick despises his father who still lives here in the state. There is an active restraining order against him from being near Patrick due to physical altercations in the past. That can't be a healthy environment, and is the reason he has made comments about not wanting to play here.. it wasn't the team, or the city; it was a family issue.

I also don't remotely equate bringing back Cole with bringing back Maurice. Each 'retread' has to be evaluated separately, and you have to include the reasons they left. Maurice left because he lost the team, and no one wanted to play for him. At the time of his departure, Cole was slipping, admittedly.. but mainly he left because he was in the last year of his contract, and JR wanted to chase yet another 'offensive defenseman'. The positive qualities Erik brought to the team really have never been replaced; the team has generally lacked any sort of power game since Cole skated out the door. Not to mention.. who has been selecting the locker room music?

There can be positive benefits to bringing back a player who played well here but struggled elsewhere.. just look at how much Cullen has meant to this year's team. I don't want to imagine what the Canes record would be without his steady offensive performance. So, I am choosing to approach Cole's return with a positive outlook. I understand the move from both a performance and a public relations perspective, and were I in JR's shoes, would have done the same thing.

great post and agreed :)

unfortunately, coles first game back is against the flames, who made a major trade today.

And wouldn't it be nice if Cole laid Ollie out on his first shift...

Welcome "Home" Erik, I personally wish you and the CANES lots of luck for the rest of the season.

New lines according to Chip:

Ruutu-Staal-Cole

Whitney-Cullen-LaRose

Samsonov-Brind'amour-Eaves

Bayda-Helminen-Walker/Conboy

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/cole-back-on-ice-with-canes#comments' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/cole-b...-canes#comments[/post]

Actually, that's not too bad. Samsonov really wasn't working out on the top line, and having two bangers with Staal might be for the best.

And after reviewing this deal a little more, giving some time to cool off, watching YouTube videos of Cole, etc., I'm ok with this deal now. Not sure if it's enough to push us to the playoffs, but at the very worst, it's a salary dump. Something this team needed desperately.

I like both players equally so I don't really have a dog in the fight from a favorite standpoint. I really like the move because...

1. Williams is very injury prone and his contract runs for two more years after this one at 3.5M per. We now have some payroll flexibility.

2. At the moment Cole is healthy, Williams is in the press box.

3. Cole is exactly the type of player we needed to acquire. Strong, fast, physical and can score some too. Provides us with a desparately needed power upgrade.

4. He's playing for his next contract. Do not underestimate this effect. I think he's going to be bringing it every night from here on out.

Our chances of making the playoffs went up because of this move. There is a risk that we lose Cole and Williams reverts back to 30-goal form. Still I think the risk is worth the reward we are getting.

staal-cole-reunited.jpg

I was a fool to ever leave your side

Me minus you is such a lonely ride

That breakup we had

Has made me lonesome and sad

I realize I love you

'Cause I want you back

Hey, hey

JR spent the evening with the radio

Regret the moment that he let Cole go

Our quarrel was such

A way of learning so much

I know now that I love you

'Cause Staal needs your touch

Hey, hey

Reunited, and it feels so good

Reunited, 'cause we understood

There's one perfect fit

And, sugar, this one is it

We both are so excited

'Cause we're reunited

Hey, hey

I sat here, staring at the same old wall

Came back to life just when I got your call

I wished I could climb

Right through the telephone line

And give you what you want

So you would still be mine

Hey, hey

I can't go cheatin', honey; I can't play

I found it very hard to stay away

As we reminisce

On precious moments like this

I'm glad we're back together

'Cause I missed your kiss

Hey, hey

Ultimately, the time to really evaluate this trade will come on 2 dates in the future - April 12 and July 1.

The best case scenario is that on April 12 we're a playoff team and on July 1 Erik Cole re-signs here at a reasonable price (well, we can be sure that if he does re-sign it will be at a reasonable price, b/c JR wouldn't have it any other way).

The worst case scenario* is that on April 12 Erik Cole joins his BFF Eric Staal on 1 of the area golf courses, and then on July 1st he signs w/ another team, and most likely that other team would be Buffalo or another SE division team, and the next season he follows the footsteps of Cory Stillman, Doug Weight, Mark Recchi, or many other ex Canes in making our life miserable pretty much every game he plays against us.

There are of course 2 more so-so scenarios. I would say if I had to pick between those 2, I'd pick the 1 where Erik helps us make the playoffs, and we face the music next season. This org is in a dire need of making the playoffs, a 3 year drought would be disastrous for the fanbase and the management.

* actually it CAN get worse - Williams regains his 05/06 form in LA, only to be promptly dealt to Thrashers, Lightning, or Panthers, and then... (see Stillman, Cory or Recchi, Mark)

staal-cole-reunited.jpg

I was a fool to ever leave your side

Me minus you is such a lonely ride

That breakup we had

Has made me lonesome and sad

I realize I love you

'Cause I want you back

Hey, hey

JR spent the evening with the radio

Regret the moment that he let Cole go

Our quarrel was such

A way of learning so much

I know now that I love you

'Cause Staal needs your touch

Hey, hey

Reunited, and it feels so good

Reunited, 'cause we understood

There's one perfect fit

And, sugar, this one is it

We both are so excited

'Cause we're reunited

Hey, hey

I sat here, staring at the same old wall

Came back to life just when I got your call

I wished I could climb

Right through the telephone line

And give you what you want

So you would still be mine

Hey, hey

I can't go cheatin', honey; I can't play

I found it very hard to stay away

As we reminisce

On precious moments like this

I'm glad we're back together

'Cause I missed your kiss

Hey, hey

Wow Luther, you put a lot of work into this one :lol: Well played.