The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

OMG bro that is classic! I was hoping Mo would put Cole and Ruutu on the same line and obviously Staal, that is gonna be one sick line with those 3!!

Anybody attend practice today and can give us some info? I can't wait to see #26 back on the ice in a Canes jersey! Is it Friday yet??

staal-cole-reunited.jpg

I was a fool to ever leave your side

Me minus you is such a lonely ride

That breakup we had

Has made me lonesome and sad

I realize I love you

'Cause I want you back

Hey, hey

JR spent the evening with the radio

Regret the moment that he let Cole go

Our quarrel was such

A way of learning so much

I know now that I love you

'Cause Staal needs your touch

Hey, hey

Reunited, and it feels so good

Reunited, 'cause we understood

There's one perfect fit

And, sugar, this one is it

We both are so excited

'Cause we're reunited

Hey, hey

I sat here, staring at the same old wall

Came back to life just when I got your call

I wished I could climb

Right through the telephone line

And give you what you want

So you would still be mine

Hey, hey

I can't go cheatin', honey; I can't play

I found it very hard to stay away

As we reminisce

On precious moments like this

I'm glad we're back together

'Cause I missed your kiss

Hey, hey

Nice touch.

New lines according to Chip:

Ruutu-Staal-Cole

Whitney-Cullen-LaRose

Samsonov-Brind'amour-Eaves

Bayda-Helminen-Walker/Conboy

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/cole-back-on-ice-with-canes#comments' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/cole-b...-canes#comments[/post]

That 3rd line with Jokinen at center could be pretty creative and a nice puck possession line and if Eaves finds a scoring touch, productive pointwise as well.

While I AM glad Cole is back...not sure how I feel about Willy going...even with injuries...

I would have liked to see us do something on D and even G...if we get into the playoffs, I just dont see Leights being a help - AT ALL.

Justin to the Kings for Patrick O'Sullivan, then P.O to the Oilers for Cole.

Welcome back Erik!

I haven't had time to get on here to write yet! Of course this wasn't a surprise with JR's past wheeling and dealing. I wish J. Willy the best of luck in LA. He will more than likely be back in a Canes jersey before too long(hopefully after he is all healed up).

I'm sooo ready see to the Cole Train back on the ice Friday....I'm ready to start tailgatin' now!! Here's to lighting the LAMP and to lighting a FIRE under Big #12!!

Welcome back #26!!! (Gonna work on my sign for the game tonight)

Welcome back Erik!

I haven't had time to get on here to write yet! Of course this wasn't a surprise with JR's past wheeling and dealing. I wish J. Willy the best of luck in LA. He will more than likely be back in a Canes jersey before too long(hopefully after he is all healed up).

I'm sooo ready see to the Cole Train back on the ice Friday....I'm ready to start tailgatin' now!! Here's to lighting the LAMP and to lighting a FIRE under Big #12!!

Welcome back #26!!! (Gonna work on my sign for the game tonight)

So what game are you going to tonight? ;)

Canes commemorate Erik Cole's return with a new third jersey..

hurricanesrecycled.jpg

Good Job, Mo, Cullen, and Cole should wear these :)

I like the Black Jersey's I had a black practice jersey for awhile, I have a friend that doesn't like them, but I am sure he ill like this one.

So what game are you going to tonight? ;)

I think he meant , Working on a sign tonight for an upcoming game. Not necessarily both tonight.

An interesting article from blogger Bubba putting this trade in proper perspective, as usual. Sorry if this has already been posted (if so I will delete), too many pages to read through.

This says it all to me.

http://www.canescountry.com/2009/3/5/78120...ord-strikes-oil

"Jim Rutherford Strikes Oil by Bubba on Mar 5, 2009 2:14 AM EST

Fans of the Carolina Hurricanes had an emotional day yesterday. Some of them are very happy, some are sad, some are downright angry. While many had an inkling that general manager, Jim Rutherford, would make some kind of an attempt to bring Erik Cole back into the fold, not many, if anyone knew that Justin Williams would be the sacrificial lamb.

But this was a complicated deal which took some deep thinking to orchestrate. Rutherford wanted to improve the team this season, but he had no room within the budget to work with. It would seem like he would be handcuffed, wouldn't it? Other teams, like the Washington Capitals did not make a single move at all during deadline day because they had no money to work with.

That didn't stop the Canes general manager though.

While Rutherford needed to improve the team right here and now without spending any additional cash, he also wanted to dump some salary for next season, if at all possible. Could he accomplish both objectives at the same time? It would seem like an impossibility, unless he was willing to relinquish valuable draft picks or prospects to balance things out.

But the GM was able to accomplish both of his goals and it didn't cost him a single (net) draft pick. As a matter of fact, he picked up a fifth rounder in the process.

The first question fans should ask themselves? Is the team better today than it was yesterday? Without a doubt, it is. Justin Williams had been out with a broken hand and was expected to be out for at least a couple more weeks. But even when he was in the lineup, the winger was still trying to find his game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GP G A P +/- PIM PPG SHG GWG GTG SOG PCT

2008 - Justin Williams 32 3 7 10 -9 9 2 0 0 0 80 3.8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And when Williams finally gets to (100%), there is still reasonable doubt that he will ever return to his former 30 goal performance level. The player has suffered through two total reconstructive knee surgeries, plus had a torn Achilles tendon. These are major setbacks that some athletes never fully recover from. Last year when he attempted to make a return late in the season against Washington, he pulled a muscle in his back and was effectively out the rest of the year.

No one works harder than Justin Williams, but even his most fervent fans probably wonder about his ability to overcome future ailments.

One might ask, why would Rutherford need to cut back on salary for next season already? If you take a look at the Hurricanes budget commitment for next season on the Canes Country Salary Chart, you can see that before the trade, the team was committed to over $43 million in salaries. That number is pretty close to what the team is already spending at the present time. Even if the budget is increased a bit, that would leave precious little money to sign several players who will either be restricted or unrestricted free agents next season.

Players like, Chad LaRose, Dennis Seidenberg, Anton Babchuk, Ryan Bayda, Jussi Jokinen, and most importantly, Tuomo Ruutu all need new contracts. Rutherford just freed up some valuable cash to help him re-sign the individuals that he wants to sign of that bunch.

Caniacs who might be upset about this deal should ask themselves, who would the Hurricanes be better off with on the roster next season, Justin Williams or Tuomo Ruutu? Of course there is no guarantee that Rutherford will re-sign Ruutu, but this deal certainly improves those chances.

Some fans are hung up over the fact that Patrick O'Sullivan was initially included but was immediately shipped off to Edmonton. While the North Carolina native is a promising young talent, keeping him would not have solved the money issue. O'Sullivan is due to earn 2.3 million each year over the next two seasons and trading for him alone would not have freed up enough cash. The initial deal with Los Angeles would never have been made unless Edmonton agreed beforehand to accept him for Cole. The Oilers may have even specifically requested him. As far as the Canes were concerned, the forward was just a pawn to be used toward the desired end result.

Speaking of the Oilers, remember all the nonsense we heard from certain journalists about how Edmonton got the better part of the Pitkanen/Cole trade and how the Carolina franchise didn't know what they had when they had Cole?

Just as predicted, Cole didn't even stay one entire season there.

Edmonton currently has a playoff position right now, while sitting in seventh place in the Western Conference. Wouldn't it be something if this trade cost them a playoff spot and they ended up out?

I admit that I am not a know-it-all journalist from Canada, but I do know that it's usually impossible to tell the winners from the losers right after a trade is completed. Sometimes it takes years to make that determination.

For the Hurricanes, if Erik Cole helps the team to make it to the post-season this year, the trade will probably be deemed a success. They have their work cut out for them though.

We have criticized the Hurricanes general manager in the past for his perceived mistakes, (like signing Josef Melichar, giving Frank Kaberle a four year deal, and agreeing to a no-trade clause for Nic Wallin), but let's give credit where credit is due. Jim Rutherford thought outside the box when he came up with this deal. He not only solved an immediate need, he was proactive regarding a future one.

Most noteworthy, at least he had the ambition and guts to try something. Fans would not be happy with the alternative, doing nothing at all._____

Cole is expected to be back in town today. Fans can watch him practice at the RBC beginning at 11AM."

Good read and very well written but yes, most if not all of that has been mentioned and covered in 20 pages here.

Agreed! A lot of people are looking too far into this, but I think that finally someone is putting this whole thing into perspective. It's a player that was once a HUGE part of this organization that can possibly help us win. Will people just let the guy play in a red uniform before we start making opinions about this trade?

Good read and very well written but yes, most if not all of that has been mentioned and covered in 20 pages here.

Yes, but is it not amazing that he covered it all in one page? ;)

I think im going to cry! i loved justin!!!!!!.

have no clue who sullivan is.

and Cole better start getting on his game, he wasnt great in Edmonton.

He did the best he could with what he had to work with. I'f Williams spent more time on the ice he would've had no worries! I was impressed with his play in Edmonton. After all he did help keep the CUP in Carolina!! This couldn't have won him any friends there! :lol:

Lots of good chat on this but the bottom line is, the on-ice action will speak for itself. We know our Colesy fits in the Canes locker room like a favorite glove. RBC is his home - again, the Canes organization and personnel are family. I for one am pure-and-simple looking forward to Friday night when there will hopefully be joy in Mudville when Casey once again is at the bat.

Go, Colesy! Go, Canes!

Click it or Ticket! :lol:

Oh wow I haven't thought of that commercial in years. Remember when he'd get on the Zamboni and take it for a spin but have to "click it" before he went off. yeeeeeeeaaah 2003 was awesome (not)

And after reviewing this deal a little more, giving some time to cool off, watching YouTube videos of Cole, etc., I'm ok with this deal now. Not sure if it's enough to push us to the playoffs, but at the very worst, it's a salary dump. Something this team needed desperately.
Hey, Frogger's on board! Actually, as I've had time to digest the same surprise that Cole himself seemed to have with this deal, I must say I'm getting pretty pumped about going to the game tomorrow. Should be a festive greeting for Cole, I would think.

Yeah, after a day of cooling off, I kind of like this trade, especially considering the thing with O'Sullivan's dad. I'm looking forward to seeing what Staal will do with all the ice freed up by Ruutu AND Cole.

If only my Avs had actually DONE something on the trade deadline. <_<