The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

Yeah, after a day of cooling off, I kind of like this trade, especially considering the thing with O'Sullivan's dad. I'm looking forward to seeing what Staal will do with all the ice freed up by Ruutu AND Cole.

If only my Avs had actually DONE something on the trade deadline. <_<

You know that is an interesting point. Ruutu is a powerball skating hard and knocking into things, and Cole, with or without his scoring touch is fast and drives hard and deep. That really could open up some ice for Staal.

New lines according to Chip:

Ruutu-Staal-Cole

Whitney-Cullen-LaRose

Samsonov-Brind'amour-Eaves

Bayda-Helminen-Walker/Conboy

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/cole-back-on-ice-with-canes#comments' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/cole-b...-canes#comments[/post]

Hope Samsonov takes his demotion well and doesn't dissappear. Not really thrilled with the third line, but we shall see.

Hope Samsonov takes his demotion well and doesn't dissappear. Not really thrilled with the third line, but we shall see.

Let me guess, the center position is in question? :lol::lol: So, I'll be at the game, hoping for a sellout.

Let me guess, the center position is in question? :lol::lol:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, its been over 24 hours :P

I think the restraining order against his father only applies in Canada (unfortunately). Pat's dad beat him up one night while he was a teenager and the family was living in Toronto and it was a Canadian judge who issued the order. His dad was at the NHL draft in Nashville (2003?) when Pat was drafted by Minnesota. And his dad was supposedly in the RBC Center the night when the Kings played here last year. Security was beefed up and on high alert. With his dad still living in Winston-Salem, I don't think there was EVER any possibility that Pat would play in Raleigh. Hockey is a business, yeah, but I can't see ANY team doing something like what Pat would be put through if he was forced to play here. See the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_O%27Sullivan_(ice_hockey)' target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_O%27S...an_(ice_hockey)[/post]

I wasn't aware of the abuse that he suffered by his dad. Knowing that now, I agree that Raleigh is NOT the best place for him. That is so, so sad.

Wish we could have gotten somebody other than Cole, though. What a disappointing season this has been. If the Canes make the playoffs I will be excited but I kind of doubt that they will get there.

GO CANES :)

I'm surprised no mention of the interview 850 The Buzz had with Erik tonight when he called in to the show a little after 7:00 PM. Could have been Erik just telling us what we want to hear, but he sure sounded like he was happy about coming back (to the team, and to this area).

Let me guess, the center position is in question? :lol::lol: So, I'll be at the game, hoping for a sellout.

It's funny, one posts on these boards and doesn't get much feedback so you start to think no one's really paying attention. I guess some people are.

On the third line thing, I'm not just leukwarm on Brind'Amour (who might find the 4th line once Jokenin is back) it is also that until last game Eaves had produced diddly and Sammy got demoted as part of his march to the waiver wire in the past and seemed to dissappear. I don't think he will do that again, but you never know. But then I thought this: Rod is two steps slower, but that should be fine paired with Sammy since he dangles and fiddles and diddles so much Rod will have time to get up the ice. And Eaves has suddenly found the net, so who knows?

I will say this, the trade deadline has passed. Rod is accepting his 4th/3rd line role. He has been a great player, I have always tried to respect that. He was instrumental in bringing us the cup. He is a future Hall of Famer. He is clearly not going anywhere for the rest of the year. We will never know what would have happened if my theory were tested. So, for the most part I shall move on. And let me just say for the last time that I am not happy that Brind'Amour has lost 2 steps and perhaps lost the team. I would like nothing more than to have 06 over and over and over again. But again, it is now what is is, so I am moving on.

I was right about JR making a move though. I must admit I was writing my "crow eating" thread when the trade was finally announced after NHL.com had declared the trades complete.

And let me just say for the last time that I am not happy that Brind'Amour has lost 2 steps and perhaps lost the team.

We now have it in print.

Just messin' with ya Remkin ;)

We now have it in print.

Just messin' with ya Remkin ;)

Well you know, 21 pages of Cole this and Cole that, just thought we could use a little more Brind'Amour talk. But seriously, I'm done now.....Brind'Amour.....OK now I'm done.

Yes, I meant working on my sign tonight for tomorrows game. Thank you CC!

Just wanted to add my favorite Justin moment. It was of him scoring the empty netter in the cup final and how he hopped up and down after it! I was hopping just like he was when it happened! haha

Something for everyone to think about. The person that assisted the most on Staal's career goals is Cole. And vice versa. With Ruutu to pick up the trash so to speak, I look forward to watching this unfold.

Yes, I meant working on my sign tonight for tomorrows game. Thank you CC!

Just wanted to add my favorite Justin moment. It was of him scoring the empty netter in the cup final and how he hopped up and down after it! I was hopping just like he was when it happened! haha

Same here, that was special indeed, I instantly breathed easier when he scored that goal. I hate to see him go and wish him well in LA.

Welcome back Cole!!

I personally think a lot of people are projecting the old Cole on the current Cole and may be expecting too much. I would point out though that Cole was very much a part of the team that slid back terribly last year, and he hardly jump started Staal then. And for those who think he will produce more in a new system, and a change of scenery, well JR seems to think that too, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but just remember that he was traded out of the most wide open system in the league because he was not producing. But maybe this time will be different. As a fan I really want to see him do well.

You are usually accurate on the basis of your arguments, but on this one I have to question it. I really don't believe we traded Cole away since he wasn't producing. I think we traded him away because

a. We were going to lose him to free agency

b. He was a sought after commodity

c. Of all of our 10 skilled forwards, he was the one that logically needed to go based on his current perceived value vs. our potential predicament in re-signing him

You are usually accurate on the basis of your arguments, but on this one I have to question it. I really don't believe we traded Cole away since he wasn't producing. I think we traded him away because

c. Of all of our 10 skilled forwards, he was the one that logically needed to go based on his current perceived value vs. our potential predicament in re-signing him

d. For JR to get Pitkanen, Edmonton wanted Cole.

Good write up from Dave Droshak from the main board:

Not a "Feel Good" Trade - David Droschak Carolina Hurricanes Mar 5, 2009

Caniacs who believe the Erik Cole-for-Justin Williams deadline deal is a

Im a little surprised at how much analysts have been praising this move by the Canes, most of them citing that Cole has been playing great the last 2 months +/-. You can say what you want about his numbers but if you look at the other players on Edmonton, it seems just about everyone was/is underachieving point wise, kind of like the Canes.

I'm surprised no mention of the interview 850 The Buzz had with Erik tonight when he called in to the show a little after 7:00 PM. Could have been Erik just telling us what we want to hear, but he sure sounded like he was happy about coming back (to the team, and to this area).

Check out the practice photos from yesterday at the N&O, you can't fake that. Its good to see the big smile not only on his face, but the guys as well.

Saw a clip of the practice on WRAL last night, Cole went up and shoved Corvo along the boards. I have never seen Corvo smile as big as he did.

Eric Cole's production per game

05-06: 1.0 points 0.5 goals

06-07 .86 points 0.4 goals

07-08 .70 points 0.3 goals

08-09 .43 points 0.25 goals

The trend is not our friend. This does not mean that he might not turn it around now. He very well might. And in general, I favor this trade. I would have liked to have seen more than just this move, but for this year he still upgrades our top 9 forwards, and might help Staal. But if Cole were on a 30+ goal pace last year, we would Not have traded him. No way. Part of the reason his was traded was that post injury he productivity was dropping. It was thought that a change of scenery might ignite his scoring. It clearly did not. Again, I favor this move. Cole still has a lot to offfer and Williams was not going to get us into the playoffs. But for this to work Cole is going to have to find his game.

the reason cole was traded was because we needed a first-pairing defeseman in the worst way. he was the only tradeable asset we had that would get us that person. Nothing more, nothing less. This is a business. Glad we got him back, we need more physciality up front. Our first line is going to be physically tough to handle now.

Do not underestimate the fact that Cole is playing for a contract. He isn't only trying to impress us, he is going to be trying to impress the league. Essentially, he is on a 17 game tryout. We should be getting all he has to offer, which is exactly what this team needs down the stretch.

I'm not so much bummed about giving up Williams as I am about the fact that we traded a young sniper with a fresh contract and loads of potential in O'Sullivan for an aging, pending UFA. I mean, Cole will probably play well, but something tells me O'Sullivan would play better, especially in two years or so.

What you guys are missing is that we would have never gotten O'Sullivan if we hadn't promised to trade him to Edmonton for Cole - it was a 3-way trade.

Eric Cole's production per game

05-06: 1.0 points 0.5 goals

06-07 .86 points 0.4 goals

07-08 .70 points 0.3 goals

08-09 .43 points 0.25 goals

The trend is not our friend. This does not mean that he might not turn it around now. He very well might. And in general, I favor this trade. I would have liked to have seen more than just this move, but for this year he still upgrades our top 9 forwards, and might help Staal. But if Cole were on a 30+ goal pace last year, we would Not have traded him. No way. Part of the reason his was traded was that post injury he productivity was dropping. It was thought that a change of scenery might ignite his scoring. It clearly did not. Again, I favor this move. Cole still has a lot to offfer and Williams was not going to get us into the playoffs. But for this to work Cole is going to have to find his game.

Hey Remkin, I like your analysis (-1 for Eric not Erik :) ). I do agree more with deeboy though, his pending UFA and our need for D was more of an issue than a slight decrease in productivity. On that front, I'd point out that those numbers follow the trend in the league overall over the same time period (05-06 everyone's numbers were up. It would be interesting to see how much above/below the league trend Cole was for each of those years. Obviously he struggled this year, let's hope it was due to misuse in the Oilers system. Time will tell, but if he sparks us into the playoffs, I think JR will do his best to sign him this summer.