The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

Hey Remkin, I like your analysis (-1 for Eric not Erik :) ). I do agree more with deeboy though, his pending UFA and our need for D was more of an issue than a slight decrease in productivity. On that front, I'd point out that those numbers follow the trend in the league overall over the same time period (05-06 everyone's numbers were up. It would be interesting to see how much above/below the league trend Cole was for each of those years. Obviously he struggled this year, let's hope it was due to misuse in the Oilers system. Time will tell, but if he sparks us into the playoffs, I think JR will do his best to sign him this summer.

Actually I agree with most of what you write also. I do agree that comparing a player to the league trend is very valuable information (see some of my old Cam Ward threads). But I do remember those days of trading Cole and perhaps we can find one of those threads that dealt with who to trade and why, but Cole was not producing at a level that justified his salary and that was part of the reason for the trade.

That said, he was still a 20 goal guy and I think he still can be that. If we assume that he is a 20 goal forward that is still an upgrade. Should he hit his proven past production he would be a 30 goal guy. If he hit his max pre injury potential he was a guy who could push the 40 goal mark. Any of those would be an upgrade. Will it be enough to make the playoffs? I'm an optimist. Though I was an optimist the last two years as well.

I think im going to cry! i loved justin!!!!!!.

have no clue who sullivan is.

and Cole better start getting on his game, he wasnt great in Edmonton.

Cole wasn't great here because of the coaching here. MacT is a bone head and has siderailed other players also. We liked Cole here, but MacT did everything that went against Cole in how he played. This is why Cole dropped in his output. I was glad to see Cole get traded out of here so he could get on track the way he can play. He was unable to do that here with the coach, and managment here is terrible. MacT has had some very good players come here and he can't coach anyone above a defensive game. He doesn't know how to deal with skilled players, and there has been quite a few go through here. They would let good players sign with other teams that really wanted to stay here and they would just let them go. If they didn't they got treated very unfairly by MacT. Lowe has made some of the worst moves in NHL history since he has been managing this team. We want to trade Lowe and MacT for another coach and manager.lolol

I hope the Oilers don't make the playoffs, and if they don't maybe a coaching change will happen along with a manager.

I just think the intangible is the way he seems to have invigorated the team. And as Tripp pointed out, he comes in without having to learn a new system or figure out the styles of his new teammates. Let's see how long the renewed energy lasts.

Just like to say what a honour to have watch Erik Cole in Edmonton, he is a well manner people person, and showed grit even when he was not scoring goals , I don't know if he would have resign with edmonton in the off season(don't think so lol) if this trade never happend.I loved his wheels , you canes have a guy with some heart, I even bought a Oilers Cole Jersey, Good luck with the rest of the season, GO OILERS GO . THANKS FOR BEATING THE STINKY FLAMES

Hey yet another Oiler fan here & I would like to also congratulate you on getting back not only a solid player but undoubtably one of the classiest players in the league! I have read some of the posts on this thread & am a little suprised at the # of fans who are not pleased to have him back. I guess it would be a little wierd, kind of like if Smyth came back to Edmonton. First you deal with the loss, then you accept it & move on then BOOM- he's back! Anyway, to echo what others have said about the Oilers "system" (which appearantly means spending 2/3 of the game in your own end :rolleyes: ) the determination & drive that Cole has given the Oilers this season would likely have translated to 20+ goals on a better team by now so I wouldn't be worried about his supposed lack of production.

BTW, seeing the excitement on Coles face after scoring that true power forward goal against the Flamers last night should be an indication of how happy he is to be back in his rightful home. Seeing you guys embarrass the Flamers brought me more joy than I thought possible :D Thanks for sharing one of your best with us & good luck in the playoff push

Hey yet another Oiler fan here & I would like to also congratulate you on getting back not only a solid player but undoubtably one of the classiest players in the league! I have read some of the posts on this thread & am a little suprised at the # of fans who are not pleased to have him back. I guess it would be a little wierd, kind of like if Smyth came back to Edmonton. First you deal with the loss, then you accept it & move on then BOOM- he's back! Anyway, to echo what others have said about the Oilers "system" (which appearantly means spending 2/3 of the game in your own end :rolleyes: ) the determination & drive that Cole has given the Oilers this season would likely have translated to 20+ goals on a better team by now so I wouldn't be worried about his supposed lack of production.

BTW, seeing the excitement on Coles face after scoring that true power forward goal against the Flamers last night should be an indication of how happy he is to be back in his rightful home. Seeing you guys embarrass the Flamers brought me more joy than I thought possible :D Thanks for sharing one of your best with us & good luck in the playoff push

I think the concern some have/had in this thread wasnt anything against Cole, he was/is a true fan favorite here. It was more the frustration with the organization to bring back former players and coaches thinking thats the answer rather than to bring in new faces with fresh new ideas. But based on last night's performance, bringing this former player back might be the right move afterall.

As always, the Oiler fans that come here and register usually represent well. Hopefully O'Sullivan works out for you guys too. :)

I just got back from out of town and wanted to comment on this. I love this deal.

I love Justin Williams, but let's be honest he's been hurt and banged up so much since that year he was an All-Star and looks slow right now. Cole is the jolt this team needed. He hasn't lit it up in Edmonton, but I think he'll get it going in the Carolina system again. He and Rutuu on the top line with Staal give us a big, talented and physical top line. Samsonov is able to move down and play with some other snipers also. This gives our team a lot of flexibility.

GO CANES!!!!!

Eric Cole is back!!!! :DEric Cole is back!!!! :DEric Cole is back!!!! :D

Now Commodore!!!! :P

I really hope that Eric Cole will bring your team up and you make the playoffs. He is a classy guy along with being one good hockey player. He had more hits than anyone else on the Oilers this year, so he was a good dimensional player. He was a very fast skater also. I really hope he does well for all you guys there, and maybe you can go a good distance in the playoffs. I really hope he does well for your team as he deserves some success.

All the best to all you Carolina fans.

Well this trade is sure looking good at this point in time. That top line has come alive. We suddenly can't stop scoring. It's only been two games but what a two games!

Well this trade is sure looking good at this point in time. That top line has come alive. We suddenly can't stop scoring. It's only been two games but what a two games!

Let's not forget the game against the caps...without Erik ;)

See what I'm saying ;) Good job 'Canes, your fans deserve a good run!

A little off topic, but wow. 22 pages. That's more than the thread about the trade over the summer...and in less time I would say.

While Cole is my favorite player, I am hesitant to do a happy dance, because if he does leave again this summer, I don't want to go through the same thing I did last summer (and July 1st was a swim meet day, so I don't think I swam that well that day...).

i know i have said this before, but it sure is nice to see just how classy and respectful edmonton oiler fans are. it is nice to get a different perspective on things from around the league, it just seems that oiler fans have a lot of good insight on the game and they do not go around bashing people, at least the canes. reading some of there post on this site and theres they really seemed to like cole, and just wish he would have fit in better with their system. it really seems like they didn't want him to leave.

Man, I stayed out of this thread because initially I felt outnumbered. I never got the initial getting rid of Cole deal. Personally, I though JR had lost his mind. However, Pitkanen has had some moments of pure genius. Now we had an opportunity to get Cole back, which JR executed brilliantly. Yes, we missed a chance in O'Sullivan, but we got our Colesey back, which in the 20/20 of hindsight a week later was absolutely brilliant.

I think the sad part of this whole deal, is that trading Cole away may have cost Lavi his job. It is now apparent, a week or so after the deadline deal, that Cole meant a whole lot more to this entire organization than many fans who posted in this thread would like to believe.

Hope some of you O'Sullivan fans are relaxing now that Cole has fueled this little streak we're on. Hey, we shut out the Rangers tonight. The Coleless Canes couldn't beat the rangers all season....

Personally, I'm exhuberant that Cole is back. Now, we need to sign him and Ruutu at the conclusion of the season, no matter where our chips fall.

One thing I wasn't really sure about in this deal was O'Sullivan. Is he a good up and coming player or what? I've never even heard of him before.

I would like JR to look at getting Williams back sometime down the line. If Williams can have a FULL summer of workouts under his belt then he'll hopefully be back to playing shape and putting up 30+ goals again. If he can get back to that then I say welcome back at the end of your contract Justin.

O'Sullivan's pretty much THE definition of a 2nd line center. Plays the powerplay, PK, puts up a decent amount of points. Not too great in the faceoff, but not terrible. The big deal is, as a 23-year old (with the Kings no less), he put up 53 points playing the 2nd line last year.

That being said, if the rumors out of LA are true (and I'd be willing to bet they aren't), he wasn't happy being a 2nd line center. Felt he deserved the first center position. He's good, but he's nowhere near Kopitar's level.

OK guy's get over the O'Sullivan trade. The thing is we got Cole back the team is playing the best they have all year. We have a GREAT chance at the playofffs and all I hear is a bunch of whining and crying like school girls. If you can't see how hard Cole is working out there and how he is helping the team produce, then you are blind!!! And lastly this goes to anyone who thinks differently, If all you are going to do is ***** about what JR does and not see whats going on down on the ice and come on the forums and cry stop watching the Hurricanes! They are a great team but all I hear from most of the people on here is how they don't like this or that blah blah blah blah blah. *edit*, grab a beer, and put on the ol' Canes jersey and route them on to the playoffs! LET"S GO CANES! LET'S GO COLE!!!!!!!!

Probably not a be all end all comparison, but i was just looking at the numbers,

Cole scored 16 G, 11 A and was a -3 in 62 games with Edmonton (0.44 points per game)... much has been said about how he was incorrectly utilized. He has 1 G and 5 A and is a +1 in 5 games back with Carolina, a considerable improvement. (1.2 points per game)

Sullivan had 14 G, 23 A and was a +1 in 62 Games with LA. (0.6 ppg) He has 1 G, 1 A and a +0 in 4 games with Edmonton. (0.5 PPG). It would appear the switch has not worked out well for him so far (yes, its only been 4 games), so who's to say the change to Carolina would have been any better? Plus Cole has had an immediate impact... who knows how long his streak will last, but here's hoping.

Again, not a apples to apples comparison, Cole's familiarity with the area, system and players has obviously worked out to his advantage.

Really not sure about this deal. Would have preferred O'Sullivan and that 2nd over Cole.

you're right,,we are most likely out of the play-offs by a point or two again,,,,,,,, :angry: