The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

Cole for Williams is a good deal. However, the O'Sullivan part in the middle makes this tough. We should have stopped at that. I think L.A. overpaid, and then we did the same.

This deal is a reach, and a hope that Staal is pacified along with Maurice (who's hands are all over this one given his love for Cole). All JR needed was the $$$ incentive, and it went down. Shed Williams LT contract, and have the option to re-sign Cole at lower price, or let him walk, after this season. For JR, it was all $$$. Had his chance to make everyone happy (except the Williams fans), and took it.

If I ignore the details and think about it as a Williams for Pitkanen its OK. But I just don't get trading O'Sullivan and the pick for Cole. JR must think he can resign him or is trying to clear salary for next year. If it is the later the canes better plan on making some noise this year because it sure ain't happening next year.

Well nobody should miss Williams he'll be back next year if history repeats itself. You trade Williams to the Kings for a local guy sniper young with tons of potential which is exactly what we need, then you trade him again for someone struggling, injury prone, one hit away from his career being over, and a free agent at the end of the year. Sure JR has made some good moves in the past but you had future building material there and it just went goodbye. The only excuse for this would be if O'Sullivan said no I do not want to go back to the east coast.

Shed Williams LT contract, and have the option to re-sign Cole at lower price, or let him walk, after this season. For JR, it was all $$$.

I didnt even think about that aspect, and I see that as a bonus to us. Willy wasn't doing anything for us being injured, so even though he does have a pretty cheap long term deal, he traded him for Cole who could come back and do something for us immediately. If Cole finishes the season with good play and good point production, then re-sign him. If not let him walk and that gives us more space for someone like Boychuk or Bowman next year.

Only problem with that line of thought is that O'Sullivan currently has ten more points than Cole this season. It isn't like he's a prospect that won't be in the line-up for two or three years, O'Sullivan could've easily slotted in as second-line center or moved to first-line winger with Staal.

Good points - JR has to know the potential of O'Sullivan but he apparently feels that the return of Cole not only adds offense and toughness but also gives a boost to Staal. All of which says to me that he is staking a lot more on the short run.

Well I like the move. No chemistry problems in our final push. We hold the cards going forward in the off season. Cole's numbers were on the uptick lately. A healthy forward for an injured one down the stretch. A message sent to the team. I don't see any big problems with this move given how tight our contracts are right now.

JR's done trading for players. He's trading for more butts in the seats, nothing more.

I thought exactly the same thing!!! The casual fan will say WE GOT COLE BACK, lets all buy tickets!!! And the canes do need money. Plus Cole fits in right away whereas O'Sullivan could take time. But what the casual fan doesn't realize is how much more O'Sullivan brings to the team, if not now, definitely in the future. Cole continues to decline and probably won't even re-sign with us.

Of course I would love to be proven wrong.

Two hard hitting power forwards on the same team? I like it

And for all the people hating on Cole for sucking after his neck was broken lets take a look at the stats:

Year GP G A

2001-02 CAR 81 16 24 40 -10 35 3 3 0 0 2 0 159 .101

2002-03 CAR 53 14 13 27 1 72 6 3 2 1 3 0 125 .112

2003-04 CAR 80 18 24 42 -4 93 2 9 2 1 3 1 172 .105

2005-06 CAR 60 30 29 59 19 54 3 11 3 1 8 0 164 .183 <----Year Neck Was broken

2006-07 CAR 71 29 32 61 2 76 9 9 0 1 4 0 166 .175 <-----Year after Neck was broken (Same #'s)

2007-08 CAR 73 22 29 51 5 76 10 7 0 0 4 0 216 .102

2008-09 EDM 63 16 11 27 -3 63 5 2 0 0 1 0 145 .110

Yeah he had 30 goals with 22 games left in the season that year but I think if you compare the Stats with the rest of the players on the team, everybody was producing big. I think that his numbers show a consistant 20 goal scorer who has speed and chemistry with our team. Why all the hate?

Although I do hate losing Justin Williams, I feel like theirs a pit in my stomach when I think about him in a Kings uniform.

I think you missed he played 11 more games the season after which is a big deal when you claim it's the same numbers

I hope Cole plays well down the stretch.

If it ignites Staal all the better. I dont know much about

OSullivan though.

As long as we make the playoffs and keep Cole I am happy with it.

It is better than doing nothing.

In three team deals, it's usually a pre-determined thing... ie. when the Canes traded Williams for O'Sullivan, it was already agreed upon that we would then send Edmonton O'Sullivan for Cole. My guess is the trade between Carolina and LA would never have happened if the O'Sullivan for Cole deal wasn't already in place. So while it would have been nice to be able to keep O'Sullivan, the fact is it was never going to happen. So Williams and a 2nd rd for Cole and a 5th isn't too bad.

Listen, I love Williams and have no clue what to do with my Williams jersey now (ok, wait until we trade for him back LOL), but he was out.

Cole is healthy, and Williams salary is off the books now. This was a business move (as well as a move for the fans) by Rutherford. That's 3.5m off the cap for summer.

That's my .02. I don't love the trade, but welcome a healthy Erik Cole back for the playoff drive.

I guess we shouldnt be as upset as LA fans, Williams for O'Sullivan and a 2nd rounder is a steal in my opinion. LAs young though and probably really wanted someone with some experience to play mentor. Since when doesnt Cole want to play here? because someone saw him on TSN and thought he looked unhappy. Remember it was TSN, Cole isnt stupid, he probably couldnt wait to get out of that hole up there but wanted to give the impression that he was upset leaving Edmonton for all those Canadian viewers.

How cool would that have been for O'Sullivan? Hometown boy playing for the Carolina Hurricanes! And not to mention he's young and potentially a great player. THAT makes me sick and plus the rumors that Cole didn't exactly feel happy about coming back. I want a guy who WANTS to play here.

A nice story was done on O'Sullivan back in the summer. As I remember it, his dad was(is) a nut case and there were deep seated problems between he and his son. I wonder if that could have factored into the trade. I hate to see Williams go based upon his All Star play, but face it, a new environment might be best for him and I hope that happens.

As far as the Cole deal, can anyone enlighten me on what you've heard him say about coming back to Carolina, I haven't heard this. Sounds like he made some negative comments?

Lastly, I can only assume JR thinks Cole will jumpstart Staalsy. If not, then we still have our 2nd round pick and 3.5mil to work with during the offseason. I have to admit, I'm flabbergasted by this trade. I would have never thought he would bring back Cole.

Let's get behind the move. We've had a terrible three years, espically last year losing the div and playoffs on the last game.

I think that JR wants the playoffs back in Carolina this year. So do I!

Justin won't be himself again until next season, where he will help a young Kings team.

The whole move with the Oilers and Canes results in the Canes getting Joni Pit and Cole, and the Oilers getting a good draft pick and a 4th liner.

JR did this to wake up the players. Coles presence may do this. Justin, with his current injury, cannot.

Everyone says we need offense, goal scoring. Maybe Cole can light a new fire under Staaly, and help get his goals up where they belong.

Some trades, like Kunitz with the Pens, work out. Some don't.

JR knows he's not getting the same Cole we once had in Carolina, but then again, are we going to start rebuliding for next year before

we learn about making the playoff's this year. Would O'Sullivan have prevented the loss to the Thrashers last Sat?

The Canes need to win games now. Maybe Cole can add a spark and help the team to the playoffs.

I still think the Canes need a good alternate goalie. Like Clemmenson. That's the deal I'd have been looking to make.

People forget Mactavish started Cole out on the LW this season and played there a mojority of the season, then he switched him to RW where he is a custom to playing as he started to produce alot more points, almost double. People keep talking about his points and its not as many as Patrick but the Oilers don't play a speed type of game either which is what Cole needs, he could take off in points back playing at LW and being reunited on a line with Staal that's built on speed, and the whole "he's not as good as he was before his injury" is a load of *edit* in my opinion, like I said earlier, I'v seen Cole play all season on Center Ice and the guy can still bring it! Let's not bash JR when the man hasn't even played a game back here yet. Cole can also improve the players around him and cause penalty's. Let's give it a chance, we have plenty of young players on the team and in our system so losing one isn't going to kill us, this trade is obviously a "what can you do for me now" which Im ok with because I want to make the playoffs this year!!

In three team deals, it's usually a pre-determined thing... ie. when the Canes traded Williams for O'Sullivan, it was already agreed upon that we would then send Edmonton O'Sullivan for Cole. My guess is the trade between Carolina and LA would never have happened if the O'Sullivan for Cole deal wasn't already in place. So while it would have been nice to be able to keep O'Sullivan, the fact is it was never going to happen. So Williams and a 2nd rd for Cole and a 5th isn't too bad.

Listen, I love Williams and have no clue what to do with my Williams jersey now (ok, wait until we trade for him back LOL), but he was out.

Cole is healthy, and Williams salary is off the books now. This was a business move (as well as a move for the fans) by Rutherford. That's 3.5m off the cap for summer.

That's my .02. I don't love the trade, but welcome a healthy Erik Cole back for the playoff drive.

Perhaps...if Los Angeles had gotten some type of return from Edmonton. As it was, it wasn't a three-way deal but two one-on-one deals. Los Angeles sent Patrick O'Sullivan and a second-round draft pick to Carolina for Justin Williams, Carolina then turned right around and sent that same package to Edmonton for Erik Cole. There was never any type of direct exchange between Edmonton and Los Angeles which means the deals were not connected or reliant upon one another.

As far as the Cole deal, can anyone enlighten me on what you've heard him say about coming back to Carolina, I haven't heard this. Sounds like he made some negative comments?

They had him on the phone after the trade was made on TSN. He sounded shocked, said once the tradeline passed, he joked around with the Oiler players, saying he dodged a bullet.

Said it would be an easy adjustment back to Carolina's system, if nothing else.

He really didn't sound happy. At all.

listening to some commentary on the move, Im getting the impression that the Canes have no intention of resigning Cole. So essentially this was a salary dump with Cole used for this years playoff push. This could be the case seeing they are over budget already, Staals mega money kicks in next year and they need to sign Ruutu. Times are tough.

In the words of Joliet Jake," We're puttin' the band back together". I can't wait to see Cole flying down one wing and Ruutu pounding a guy in the corner. I think not only have we added Cole, but we might just be adding the Staal we've been hoping for all year. Welcome back Erik! Goodbye and good lusk Justin!

I have mixed feelings about the trade, but overall I am happy cole is back I think this could help to give the team a jolt. I think this will benefit staal alot he seems to play with a little extra something when cole is playing with him. I kind of wish we would have gotten rid of Kaberle.

The only question I have not sure if anyone has brought this up, but once Jussi gets back were is he going to go and same thing for eaves?

Personally I would rather have Jussi or Eaves on the 3rd line than walker.

People forget Mactavish started Cole out on the RW this season and played there a mojority of the season, then he switched him to LW where he is a custom to playing as he started to produce alot more points, almost double. People keep talking about his points and its not as many as Patrick but the Oilers don't play a speed type of game either which is what Cole needs, he could take off in points back playing at LW and being reunited on a line with Staal that's built on speed, and the whole "he's not as good as he was before his injury" is a load of *edit* in my opinion, like I said earlier, I'v seen Cole play all season on Center Ice and the guy can still bring it! Let's not bash JR when the man hasn't even played a game back here yet. Cole can also improve the players around him and cause penalty's. Let's give it a chance, we have plenty of young players on the team and in our system so losing one isn't going to kill us, this trade is obviously a "what can you do for me now" which Im ok with because I want to make the playoffs this year!!

You are correct on Cole. His numbers were not where they could be because of how he was being used there in the beginning.

Did you guy check out Lavi talking about this on TSN?

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip146263#clip146263' target="_blank">Lavi on Cole[/post]

Yeah, I saw that on TSN. Very interesting clip, great to see Lavi again.

This from the N&O: "I just talked to Erik and he's really excited about coming back," Rutherford said. "I don't think he was as comfortable in Edmonton. He was used to being here. He views this as his home. "

Thats not the vibe I'm getting from people who heard the TSN interview. i guess we'll see.

They had him on the phone after the trade was made on TSN. He sounded shocked, said once the tradeline passed, he joked around with the Oiler players, saying he dodged a bullet.

Said it would be an easy adjustment back to Carolina's system, if nothing else.

He really didn't sound happy. At all.

Yeah, you never know how to read interviews, but when the dust settled I was asking myself will he come in with a negative attitude and a little pissed off. Let's just hope he gives his best effort here. I would thing being a UFA, that would be in his best interest.

I guess the way I look at it is that we are getting a healthy Cole (vs. injured JW) plus POSSIBLY an improved Staal. If Cole doesn't work out, he leaves at the end of the year. If he does, he appreciates playing here more - and possibly we get a better deal for him than we would have if he had been here all year.

I am sorry to JW go because I honestly believe he gave it everything he could, but we need someone healthy if we are going to try to make the playoffs this year.