The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

They had him on the phone after the trade was made on TSN. He sounded shocked, said once the tradeline passed, he joked around with the Oiler players, saying he dodged a bullet.

Said it would be an easy adjustment back to Carolina's system, if nothing else.

He really didn't sound happy. At all.

I don't think he is. Put aside family things, his kids are now settled in school up there, etc. Look at the way things ended when he left Carolina-I didn't think he wanted to go anywhere and there seemed to be some hard feelings because of it. Even JR alluded to them in one of his pre-season interviews. Cole then said that he was moving on and focusing on being an Oiler. Now maybe he is thrilled and can't wait to get back here, but is downplaying it to not offend his Oiler teammates. I just got the feeling that this wasn't the case. :unsure:

Did you guy check out Lavi talking about this on TSN?

Lavi on Cole

I think Lavi got it right. JR is hoping that this move will spark Staal back into his "normal" performance level. I don't know if that will happen, especially if there is some reluctance on Cole's part, but I really think this is a large part of the decision.

The important thing is that we just look at goals and assists when deciding who we want, and ignore all the intangibles like chemistry, physical play, defensive abilities, skill set, system, etc...

You think that would be more important to a fan base that is convinced Chad Larose is everything right in hockey.

Perhaps...if Los Angeles had gotten some type of return from Edmonton. As it was, it wasn't a three-way deal but two one-on-one deals. Los Angeles sent Patrick O'Sullivan and a second-round draft pick to Carolina for Justin Williams, Carolina then turned right around and sent that same package to Edmonton for Erik Cole. There was never any type of direct exchange between Edmonton and Los Angeles which means the deals were not connected or reliant upon one another.

Oh but I believe they were. Picture it this way: Carolina and Edmonton had talks about Cole. Rutherford offers Williams and they say no, we like O'Sullivan in LA. get the Kings GM on the line.. Ok Rutherford calls him and they hash out the O'Sullivan deal. Rutherford then calls Edmonton and completes the swap. Now, for us to have reneged with Edmonton... it's something you just don't do as a GM.

I have no problems with this trade. Williams has been injury prone the last two seasons, so has not contributed significantly to the team. At the least, we recieved what should be a dependable, healthy body. I am surprised that LA would part with O'sullivan, though.

The important thing is that we just look at goals and assists when deciding who we want, and ignore all the intangibles like chemistry, physical play, defensive abilities, skill set, system, etc...

You think that would be more important to a fan base that is convinced Chad Larose is everything right in hockey.

Good point. His numbers aside, he's a really fast skater, he cross checks very often in games (and we need are team to be tougher), and of course he has chemistry with the team.

What will our first line be? Staal, Cole, and Rutuu? Or Staal, Cole and Whitney?

Good point. His numbers aside, he's a really fast skater, he cross checks very often in games (and we need are team to be tougher), and of course he has chemistry with the team.

What will our first line be? Staal, Cole, and Rutuu? Or Staal, Cole and Whitney?

Chairman Mo said that he'll play Cole on right wing on 99.9 after the trade was made. That will force Ruutu and Cole to play on different lines.

I think we are going to have two top lines as:

Samsonov-Staal-Cole

Whitney-Cullen-Ruutu

Don't forget, not only do we get a healthy power forward who knows our system.

Yeah, he knows how to lose, alright. WALOC. We HAVE no system, that's the problem, and again I'll say: This is move designed STRICTLY to lure fans back for the last month of the season. If JR were really trying to rebuild he'd have stood Pat with O'Sullivan (pun intended).

I really like this move. First, I like Williams as much as anybody. He's a great player when he's healthy, problem is, that isn't often. Are the injuries his fault, well no, but some guys are just snake bit when it comes to staying healthy. We had a couple of years left on his contract and if he contributed as much those two as the last three, he will do almost as much for us in L.A. as he would have here.

Cole is a fan favorite and face it folks, selling tickets is part of the deal. It is a business remember. Cole can step in and contribute immediately and Williams wasn't on the ice. J.R. makes a trade that helps us immediately and not only doesn't hurt us in the long run, it helps us when you consider dumping Williams contract if he stays on I.R. all the time. Cole is UFA at the end of this season so maybe we resign him. At least we get somebody who can skate this Friday. We can't afford to wait until the playoffs and hope we are still playing when Williams comes back.

Does this get Staal in another gear? Who knows, but J.R. really isn't taking a big chance here. If it works, we make the playoffs. If it doesn't, at least the team and the fans know we did something. As far as the people complaining about not keeping O'Sullivan, he may have been better long run, but this team needs to make the playoffs this season.

I like this move. A ton of possible upside with little to no risk. A prototypical J.R. move.

dunno what to say about this trade at the moment

but people should really stop *edit* at this point

wait and see what happens

You can think what you want, Vuldan, it's a free country -- but don't "should" on the rest of us.

Chairman Mo said that he'll play Cole on right wing on 99.9 after the trade was made. That will force Ruutu and Cole to play on different lines.

I think we are going to have two top lines as:

Samsonov-Staal-Cole

Whitney-Cullen-Ruutu

Which of course, breaks up any chemistry Cullen and LaRose had together. Awesome :rolleyes:

Which of course, breaks up any chemistry Cullen and LaRose had together. Awesome :rolleyes:

don't worry, they will still be together on PK, that's where their chemistry is most important.

so who else besides Cole will be on the third line? :huh:

There is no way Cole will be on the third line. THE reason he is being brought back is to play on the line with Staal.

bingo....

how long will it take before JW is back.

don't know, but justin always be my all-time favorite hockey player. why we don't trade seids or any other to cole.. poor JR!

Short term, clearly this is a good move: we get a guy that can play, is physical, and has the fit with Staal and give up a guy that is injured and will still be out for awhile (and was not that impressive for the brief time he did play this season). Since being moved to the RW in Edmonton, Cole has returned to form.

Should we have stopped with O'Sullivan? He's young, but plays small and we've got plenty of those kind of forwards on the team already. Besides, as mentioned, he likely wanted to stay as far away from Carolina as he could, so time thinking 'what if' with him is a waste.

The interesting thing will be to see if Cole is re-signed or if this was just a play to get a known body for this push and free up funds for Ruutu and others?

There is no way Cole will be on the third line. THE reason he is being brought back is to play on the line with Staal.

JR hinted at this. He used the "It's up to the coach" line, but then said something about it making sense, or about not seeing why it wouldn't happen. Paraphrasing here, but it was on the 99.9 interview this afternoon.