The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

There is no way Cole will be on the third line. THE reason he is being brought back is to play on the line with Staal.

it was a joke, another board member insists he is a 3rd liner because of his point totals this year. He is 180th in the league in points, theres 30 teams, 6 players on the top 2 lines equaling 180 players, therefore he is a 3rd liner. I think that was the math/argument this person used.

dunno what to say about this trade at the moment

but people should really stop *edit* at this point

wait and see what happens

That's what our fan base does well. Everybody was up in arms when Cole was traded. Now we get Cole back for someone who hasn't produced in two years( I ove willliams but he has been in the press box for two years) and a 5th round pick ans people now don't want Cole back . I'm not even considering the O'Sullivan portion of the trade because he never played a game for us.

Every analyst agrees this was a good deal for everyone. I personally think we got a great deal. We needed a big, fast, physical,proven wing and we got it. Also people forget these players aren't robots when you take people from one locker room and put them in another your not sure how it's going to work.

We obviously know what the canes will get from Cole and it's exactly what we need. Plus if we sign Cole or not we got plently of cap room to sign a big time forward in the off season.

Let's get behind the move. We've had a terrible three years, espically last year losing the div and playoffs on the last game.

I think that JR wants the playoffs back in Carolina this year. So do I!

Justin won't be himself again until next season, where he will help a young Kings team.

The whole move with the Oilers and Canes results in the Canes getting Joni Pit and Cole, and the Oilers getting a good draft pick and a 4th liner.

JR did this to wake up the players. Coles presence may do this. Justin, with his current injury, cannot.

Everyone says we need offense, goal scoring. Maybe Cole can light a new fire under Staaly, and help get his goals up where they belong.

Some trades, like Kunitz with the Pens, work out. Some don't.

JR knows he's not getting the same Cole we once had in Carolina, but then again, are we going to start rebuliding for next year before

we learn about making the playoff's this year. Would O'Sullivan have prevented the loss to the Thrashers last Sat?

The Canes need to win games now. Maybe Cole can add a spark and help the team to the playoffs.

I still think the Canes need a good alternate goalie. Like Clemmenson. That's the deal I'd have been looking to make.

I disagree with everything you say - except the last line, which is exactly right.

I agree with others on the business side. Cole is still a BIG fan favorite, and having a healthy body that plays well with Staal, a second rounder (which we never really lost) and a 5th round pick is really a no lose situation given the fact JW wasn't going to contribute anything this year and we dumped salary for next year.

One thing's for sure, we need to make the playoffs this year. Doing nothing was not an option. From a business standpoint, a good move by JR. I forgot to mention I don't think O'Sullivan would play in Carolina.

Yeah, he knows how to lose, alright. WALOC. We HAVE no system, that's the problem, and again I'll say: This is move designed STRICTLY to lure fans back for the last month of the season. If JR were really trying to rebuild he'd have stood Pat with O'Sullivan (pun intended).

Bingo! Ding Ding Ding! :mellow:

I seriously doubt O'Sullivan was ever part of the plan to be here in the first place, because of history with relatives or whatever the reason...The only real positive is that Cole can play the next game, while Williams could not.

I think the reason that most are kicking up dust is that if the best our GM can do is exchange one injury prone player for another, one that was happy in Edmonton and let everything stay in Carolina, who has scored a resounding 16 goals, mean while losing a 2nd round rick in favor of a 5th in the process, then he should not be our GM anymore.

...Unless this all part of the plan to clear cap space at the end of the season, but seeing how JR likes do things I doubt it. Whatever, it doesn't matter anymore. The 06 dream didn't end on June 19th, it will never end. Do ever whatever you JR, we're used to this nonsense by now.

At first I did not like the trade, but after thinking about it for a little while, short term I think it makes sense. We get a player that is ready to play friday.

(not knowing whn Justin would play again)

I think Justin can put up better numbers, but Cole is a hitter, and I think he can help get Staal's numbers up this year. Only time will tell on this one. If we get into the 2nd rounds of playoffs or further, (PLAYOFFS, did someone mention Playoffs) it was worth it, if not I think we lost a very good player in Justin. But we also did free up some needed cash for a cash strapped team for next year.

PLAYOFFS http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...showtopic=18047

Said this in another thread, but....I heard Erik on the phone on TSN and he didn't sound like he wants to be back here. Sounds like he liked it in Edmonton. Wish they'd left him there. Think JR made a mistake with the second part of the trade, and I will miss Justin Williams.

Heard it too but he is speaking to Canada media and he can not act like "get me the hell out of here" HE wanted to succeed and he did not.

Bingo! Ding Ding Ding! :mellow:

I seriously doubt O'Sullivan was ever part of the plan to be here in the first place, because of history with relatives or whatever the reason...The only real positive is that Cole can play the next game, while Williams could not.

I think the reason that most are kicking up dust is that if the best our GM can do is exchange one injury prone player for another, one that was happy in Edmonton and let everything stay in Carolina, who has scored a resounding 16 goals, mean while losing a 2nd round rick in favor of a 5th in the process, then he should not be our GM anymore.

...Unless this all part of the plan to clear cap space at the end of the season, but seeing how JR likes do things I doubt it. Whatever, it doesn't matter anymore. The 06 dream didn't end on June 19th, it will never end. Do ever whatever you JR, we're used to this nonsense by now.

We didn't lose a 2nd round pick, it's still there. We just swapped 2nd round picks. We also picked up a 5th round pick.

Said this in another thread, but....I heard Erik on the phone on TSN and he didn't sound like he wants to be back here. Sounds like he liked it in Edmonton. Wish they'd left him there. Think JR made a mistake with the second part of the trade, and I will miss Justin Williams.

One of the newstations said Erik feels like he let down the Oilers and so now they don't want him which would explain him sounding sad.

I'm sure once he gets back here it will be alright.

Here's my take. I like Willie but he stayed injured so we may as well get someone who can stay healthy and brings an edge to his game. I think putting Colsey on Staal's line will give defenders less of an opportunity to shut down Staal giving him more of an opportunity to work. We'll have to wait and see but I think it was a good move. JMO

Did you guy check out Lavi talking about this on TSN?

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip146263#clip146263' target="_blank">Lavi on Cole[/post]

I'll take Lavi's word and impressions over anyone's in here. Eventhough Cole is likely to take Ruutu's spot on the 1st line, I'm also liking the idea of the flexibility Mo will have switching Ruutu for Cole and visa versa if he wants better match-ups against certain lines. Other pluses as we all know, are that Cole's speed will make defenders back in deeper which will create more room for dancing Sammy and the like and that he will bring size and physicality, something neither Williams, O'Sullivan or late draft picks can brag about. I think we also shouldn't forget that Cole wasn't traded because he sucked. The Canes relied mostly on our offense to score and win because they rarely got any offensive help from our D, and it was our D that needed a desperate upgrade. If our D keeps chipping in the way they have and Staal and Cole can find their old chemistry, some of us just might find a reason to be optimistic again.

That's what our fan base does well. Everybody was up in arms when Cole was traded. Now we get Cole back for someone who hasn't produced in two years( I ove willliams but he has been in the press box for two years) and a 5th round pick ans people now don't want Cole back . I'm not even considering the O'Sullivan portion of the trade because he never played a game for us.

Every analyst agrees this was a good deal for everyone. I personally think we got a great deal. We needed a big, fast, physical,proven wing and we got it. Also people forget these players aren't robots when you take people from one locker room and put them in another your not sure how it's going to work.

We obviously know what the canes will get from Cole and it's exactly what we need. Plus if we sign Cole or not we got plently of cap room to sign a big time forward in the off season.

Big?? Cole is BIG??? Look for that silver lining...

I think we actually got LAs 2nd rounder, which was Calgarys, so it will probably be a late 2nd, and we gave Edm our 2nd. Also got a 5th rounder.

That is comforting to know, must have overlooked the deal when I saw Erik was returning. Error is on me.

A more positive way to view this trade is that we got Cole and Pitkanen for Justin Williams, thats makes me feel a little better.

Yeah that's true; it makes me feel a little better too.

Heard it too but he is speaking to Canada media and he can not act like "get me the hell out of here" HE wanted to succeed and he did not.

i think it was something more along the lines - How the hell did you find my cell phone number 30 seconds after i learned about the trade myself.

He was caught at the worst possisble moment

Man. I don't know about this trade. I'm one who preaches about giving guys a chance before throwing them (or JR) under the bus...... but we essentially trade Justin Williams for Erik Cole. Erik Cole, who we traded to Edmonton for Joni Pits... I would have preferred O'Sullivan. Really... I just hope Cole and Staal light it up like there's no tomorrow, and we don't regret it. How old is O'Sullivan? Man... sorry, had to vent.

One of the newstations said Erik feels like he let down the Oilers and so now they don't want him which would explain him sounding sad.

I'm sure once he gets back here it will be alright.

Yea, and I blame that on Mactavish for playing him on the WRONG side of the ice for 3 quarters of the season!! When he finally moves him to the other side of the ice, whada ya know, he starts to almost double in points. Amazing!!

You can think what you want, Vuldan, it's a free country -- but don't "should" on the rest of us.

i will pretty much "should" on the rest of you all, sorry

whats the point in crying about every little thing that happens, which most of you people do

I hope all this stressing "Cole plays great with Staal" is still true!!!

This could be good for us....i dont like the moving of ruutu down to the third w/ brindy. Ruutu deserves more time

anddd i can tell JR doesnt like drastic changes

MO>Lavi>MO

Cole>trade>Cole

and it sounds like he is excited to come back. (for all who said he wasnt)...he still has his house here so i think its to his advantage.

I'll take Lavi's word and impressions over anyone's in here. Eventhough Cole is likely to take Ruutu's spot on the 1st line, I'm also liking the idea of the flexibility Mo will have switching Ruutu for Cole and visa versa if he wants better match-ups against certain lines. Other pluses as we all know, are that Cole's speed will make defenders back in deeper which will create more room for dancing Sammy and the like and that he will bring size and physicality, something neither Williams, O'Sullivan or late draft picks can brag about. I think we also shouldn't forget that Cole wasn't traded because he sucked. The Canes relied mostly on our offense to score and win because they rarely got any offensive help from our D, and it was our D that needed a desperate upgrade. If our D keeps chipping in the way they have and Staal and Cole can find their old chemistry, some of us just might find a reason to be optimistic again.
Great post. Now that we have better D, our offense will most likely pick up its weight more often. I'm not saying we have good D, but overall, its certainly better than it has been in the past few seasons.