The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

He was caught at the worst possisble moment

No. Those are still to come. On ice.

Hate to be so dour, people, but this is a boneheaded move. It perfectly illustrates JR's inability to JUST MOVE ON, an inability that has had us hamstrung now for approaching three years. The org is still milking fans for every last dollar out of the Cup win, pure and simple. Well, at least maybe at the NJ game I'll see Marty break Roy's record. I really don't expect to see much more.

I guess we shouldnt be as upset as LA fans, Williams for O'Sullivan and a 2nd rounder is a steal in my opinion. LAs young though and probably really wanted someone with some experience to play mentor. Since when doesnt Cole want to play here? because someone saw him on TSN and thought he looked unhappy. Remember it was TSN, Cole isnt stupid, he probably couldnt wait to get out of that hole up there but wanted to give the impression that he was upset leaving Edmonton for all those Canadian viewers.

on 99.9 jr said that when he spoke to Cole, Cole was happy to come back, He still has his home here. Also, he did not really fit into the oliers system.

Ok, Williams has proven to be a guy who is hurt a lot. I get trading him. It sucks b/c if these last three injuries are nothing but flukes and he is 90% healthy the rest of his career, you just gave up a two time 30 goal scorer.

I understand we need help on the right.

But Erik Cole?

C'mon JR. The guy is doing NOTHING this year. He is one hit from career being over and possibly his life changing forever. I loved watching the guy before the hit from Orpik, but since, he has done nothing. Lots of better options than Cole. Both LA and Edmonton got steals in this. We are clearly in a distant third in this race.

How do you know he re-signs here? So now you just gave up Williams for a rental player and I assure you, there are better rentals out there than Erik Cole.

The irony in all of this today - the hit from Orpik, exactly 3 years ago today.

i will pretty much "should" on the rest of you all, sorry

whats the point in crying about every little thing that happens, which most of you people do

Actually, I thought I was involved in a fairly good discussion of the pros and cons of the trade with some fairly knowledgable hockey fans who happen to root for the Canes. Not much crying in this one IMO, just a bunch of guys and gals? talking about the trade. Don't you have homework to do?

No. Those are still to come. On ice.

Hate to be so dour, people, but this is a boneheaded move. It perfectly illustrates JR's inability to JUST MOVE ON, an inability that has had us hamstrung now for approaching three years. The org is still milking fans for every last dollar out of the Cup win, pure and simple. Well, at least maybe at the NJ game I'll see Marty break Roy's record. I really don't expect to see much more.

I'd take your word for it, if it wasn't for Lavi and a bunch of other known hockey folks who approve of the move.

This organization is one of a kind. We get the young potential sniper that we coveted and decide to trade him away in the same breath.

You said it one of a kind...

Actually, I thought I was involved in a fairly good discussion of the pros and cons of the trade with some fairly knowledgable hockey fans who happen to root for the Canes. Not much crying in this one IMO, just a bunch of guys and gals? talking about the trade. Don't you have homework to do?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

C'mon JR. The guy is doing NOTHING this year. He is one hit from career being over and possibly his life changing forever. I loved watching the guy before the hit from Orpik, but since, he has done nothing. Lots of better options than Cole. Both LA and Edmonton got steals in this. We are clearly in a distant third in this race.

How do you know he re-signs here? So now you just gave up Williams for a rental player and I assure you, there are better rentals out there than Erik Cole.

That is pretty ironic. I guess JR must have a feeling, or some insiders' info about Cole not resigning with Edmonton and/or potentially resigning here. This really strikes me as a short term deal with the hope of getting Staal going, making the playoffs, dumping some salary and then just seeing what happens. If it works in the short term that's great and if not, then we are pretty much exactly where we would have been w/o the trade. Plus if JR had done nothing and we missed the playoffs, people still would be screaming for his head. Also, I don't think we would have been able to "afford" some of the other rental players out there and this way we are closer to our budget.

Yes! There are some of us here too! :)

Ok, Williams has proven to be a guy who is hurt a lot. I get trading him. It sucks b/c if these last three injuries are nothing but flukes and he is 90% healthy the rest of his career, you just gave up a two time 30 goal scorer.

I understand we need help on the right.

But Erik Cole?

Im not so sure I would say LA got a steal, a player who puts up Coles numbers is better than one who doesnt play because of injuries. Edmonton looks strong getting O'Sullivan but hes got a hefty salary and potential, potential is just that, an unreached expectation. It would have been nice to have him here to see what level he could reach but I think 4 Mil for the next 2 years is an excess addition this franchise cant handle unfortunately.

For those who think we should have kept Patrick O'Sullivan, he was never ours to begin with. Carolina wanted Cole, but Carolina didn't have anything Edmonton wanted, unless the Ruutu rumors were true. Which i'm glad JR didn't trade Ruutu. Edmonton wanted O'Sullivan, but Edmonton didn't have anything LA wanted. Its how 3-way deals work.

Williams is going to be a huge part of that LA team. That team is young and they are now bringing in an experienced guy and will likely be wearing an 'A' there. I'll mis the guy but I think he does need a fresh start. The last 2 years here haven't been great for him. Plus we unload a $7M contract, that $7M that hasn't played the last 2 years.

Do I think Cole gets us into the playoffs. No. I just don't think the odds are with us. Too much has to happen in order for us to make it in. Bringing Cole back was the safe bet. He knows the system, the team, so you know chemistry won't be disrupted. Plus you get that fast winger back for Staal and Corvo is also happy as Cole is one of his good friends.

oh, damn, homework, ooooh man. harsh words man. very harsh

i will pretty much "should" on the rest of you all, sorry

whats the point in crying about every little thing that happens, which most of you people do

This fanbase, and chat board, has passion about this franchise. Passion that has been damaged two years in a row by not making the playoff's after winning the Stanley Cup (which is an NHL record mind you). Our fan base does NOT want to see us miss the playoffs another year in a row, and be the first team to miss the playoffs 3 straight years in a row after winning the cup. I see you're new to this chat board, people won't take kindly to some newbie thats pointing a finger at us saying were "crybabies" and swearing at us. Very good impression for someone new along the blocks of the chat board.

This fanbase is still young, and it feels pressured to succeed since there are so many teams in the league who are older and have alot of talent AND we are a small market team.

What do you expect? Everybody jumping up for joy and holding each others hands while a big and controversial trade breaks out? Not everybody is in Wonderland.

oh, damn, homework, ooooh man. harsh words man. very harsh

All I'm saying is this is your third post and there is nothing really substantial in any of them. No offense intended, just poking a little fun with your attitude there dude. It's all good. ;)

It would have been nice to have him here to see what level he could reach but I think 4 Mil for the next 2 years is an excess addition this franchise cant handle unfortunately.

While his salary is $4 million for this season it actually drops to $2.388 million for the following two years which, in my opinion, makes the decision THAT much worse. Just for comparison, he would have made less per season than Scott Walker.

Well, this site is giving my MacBook fits today. So, I couldn't read all the most, they were jumbled for some reason.

I was surprised when the trade of JWil -> O'Sullivan. I've like this kid since juniors. Then a few minutes later the second part of the deal for Cole was announced I was equally surprised. I know that Staal needs a partner out there and has struggled mightily this year. Is Cole the answer? We'll see. If he is, he'll be resigned. If not, he'll be gone.

Big?? Cole is BIG??? Look for that silver lining...

6'2 205pounds is pretty big for a winger... only a hand full with his size and speed in the NHL. How many wingers do we have on our team with his size ? not manyif any. Plus he plays a physical style of hockey on Ruutu brings so I think Cole is big and plays big.

But keep looking for the negativity thats what you do best. Make sure every post you make has JR and Staal suck in it. Make some new points because your obsessed with negativity with them.

Hey, some of us are nearing 30 and STILL doing homework!! :P

i know, my mom is like, in her 40s and shes doing homework

who would of thought huh

People have bashed JR before in years about trade's, pick ups from waivers, etc... but the man isn't a GM for nothing. Again lets not bash him for the trade when we haven't even seen the result yet. We as fans dont know the whole story, like some people already said, there was probably never any chance of Patrick playing here to begin with as he obviously didn't want to for good reasons. Check out the Oilers message boards, its about 50/50 like on here. I for one am extremely happy to be getting #26 back!! I thinkg NYMethods has a perfect way of looking at it, Cole and Pitkanen for Williams.

All I'm saying is this is your third post and there is nothing really substantial in any of them. No offense intended, just poking a little fun with your attitude there dude. It's all good. ;)

yeh

ive just been in a bad mood today all around><

i apologize for being an *edit*

I don't see the problem with this deal some here do. This is a low risk possible high reward trade given our current position. We can still get young talent in the off season.

You nailed it right on the head I agree 100%

While his salary is $4 million for this season it actually drops to $2.388 million for the following two years which, in my opinion, makes the decision THAT much worse. Just for comparison, he would have made less per season than Scott Walker.

wow, didnt know that. makes it even more baffling, thats a bargain