The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

I don't see the problem with this deal some here do. This is a low risk possible high reward trade given our current position. We can still get young talent in the off season.

There IS risk here. We just brought in a UFA who is one hit from his career being over.

If anybody can find that story on O'Sullivan and his NC roots post up a link. I can't find it. If you haven't seen it you might think different about him being a possibility here in tobacco road.

People have bashed JR before in years about trade's, pick ups from waivers, etc... but the man isn't a GM for nothing. Again lets not bash him for the trade when we haven't even seen the result yet. We as fans dont know the whole story, like some people already said, there was probably never any chance of Patrick playing here to begin with as he obviously didn't want to for good reasons. Check out the Oilers message boards, its about 50/50 like on here. I for one am extremely happy to be getting #26 back!! I thinkg NYMethods has a perfect way of looking at it, Cole and Pitkanen for Williams.

Yea people do need to quit bashing JR about this trade when we haven't even see the results yet. We will see how good this trade is over the next couple games on the ice. I am also a supporter or this trade and NYMethods is right we pretty much got Cole and Pitkanen for Williams which I would take that deal any day.

There IS risk here. We just brought in a UFA who is one hit from his career being over.

In that case we traded one press box player for another and got rid of cap space for next year. I think this could be the biggest part of the trade, freeing up cap space to either sign Cole or go out and get a big time forward.

Hasn't this board said that about every player we have had thats been injured for awhile? I suppose we could have kept Williams, and had him on IR for another 2 years.

I completely understand getting rid of Williams. I just think we could have gotten a lot more that Cole.

Anyone, whether you hate this trade or love it, can't deny that there were some blinders on JR when he went looking for a forward.

And FTR, I am 50 50 on this. I am happy we found someone to take Williams off our hands b/c of his injury issues, but I'm upset that we only got Cole for him. We could have done a deal 2 weeks ago for Williams and brought in a player who is guaranteed to be here for a few years.

However, to counter my own point, I also think that today's trade was mainly made b/c every team we are competing with for the playoffs got better.

I think it's a good trade for the time at hand. For the future, who knows. I look forward to seeing the results on the ice. I would also like to see a press conference. Wonder if that will be this evening or tommorrw?

I can understand the UFA concerns but the one hit risk is there for anybody nowadays, even Willie if he tears the ACL in either of his knees again.

YNYMethods is right we pretty much got Cole and Pitkanen for Williams

100% disagree.

We essentially did Pitkanen for Williams with Williams as a rental player for 30 games.

The question isn't if this is a good move or not. Getting a player that can play for a player that can't is always a good move. The question is: Is it a good ENOUGH move?

1. The Penguins acquired Guerin today for a bag of pucks. The guy's old, but he can still play. Putting him with any of Pittsburgh centers is sure to produce. Huge jump for them.

2. Buffalo made some minor trades. Grabbed a backup goalie and Dominic Moore. However, today, Vanek returns. Yeah, that's a good boost right there.

3. Florida didn't do much, but it's what they didn't do that's making headlines. Keeping J-Bo has to be a huge relief to the team. That question of whether or not he'll stay isn't hovering over their heads anymore. That'll definitely improve their team.

4. The Rangers made many trades today, grabbing Antropov and the defenseman whose name escapes me right now. That, with the addition of Avery, will probably help the team out.

Us? Well, we acquired a previous player that's essentially a question mark right now. Forget not knowing if he's going to play well, or knowing if he'll improve Staal's play. We're not even sure he wants to be here.

Look, this was a $$$ deal pure and simple. Anything else is a bonus, including Staal welcoming his ex-wingman.

We could have had Cole for next year as UFA if he really wants to be in Raleigh. The cost for that? $$$

Meanwhile Willie is on the books for a couple of more years, so JR is glad to unload that responsibility (= Savings). If Cole doesn't re-sign at a favorable rate, and perhaps for short term (NHL trend in down market), then JR just unloaded Willie's salary.

JR couldn't do that when he's injured, now or anytime in next couple of years. With both knees repaired, that is high risk with PK's $$$.

I doubt we had any interest in O'Sullivan, and another salary.

I completely understand getting rid of Williams. I just think we could have gotten a lot more that Cole.

Anyone, whether you hate this trade or love it, can't deny that there were some blinders on JR when he went looking for a forward.

And FTR, I am 50 50 on this. I am happy we found someone to take Williams off our hands b/c of his injury issues, but I'm upset that we only got Cole for him. We could have done a deal 2 weeks ago for Williams and brought in a player who is guaranteed to be here for a few years.

However, to counter my own point, I also think that today's trade was mainly made b/c every team we are competing with for the playoffs got better.

Yea, I'm also 50 50 with this trade. I suppose JR didn't have much to choose from.

In that case we traded one press box player for another and got rid of cap space for next year. I think this could be the biggest part of the trade, freeing up cap space to either sign Cole or go out and get a big time forward.

I hope Im wrong about this but I think this could have been a salary dump of 3.5 Mil with no intention of trying to sign anyone except Ruutu and maybe Larose and Babchuk. I think we are 2 Mil over budget now, Staal will get an additional 3 Mil + next year and Ruutu will get a raise. Just that will put us at PKs budget now or above and that number may be lower in years to come.

Yes, the deal gives us a healthy forward who is familiar down this stretch run for an injured player that has missed a lot of playing time and we get to open up some cap space which gives us more flexibility.

Actually I can deny that there were blinder on JR not a lot of teams are looking for a player that is on the IR and is always on the IR. You should be happy we got Cole, Williams isnt exactly worth a lot right now with all his injury problems.

Looked at the depth chart, and thid should make our lines a little more even in scoring with cole on 1st with staal because of their chemestry and tuomo on third (I think he should be on 2nd instead of larose) but it adds a power right side to every line in my opinion

I hope Im wrong about this but I think this could have been a salary dump of 3.5 Mil with no intention of trying to sign anyone except Ruutu and maybe Larose and Babchuk. I think we are 2 Mil over budget now, Staal will get an additional 3 Mil + next year and Ruutu will get a raise. Just that will put us at PKs budget now or above and that number may be lower in years to come.
Hopefully we'll be able to dump Kabs 2.5 million dollar salary in the offseason. Toronto might take him for us, since T. Kabs wants to play with his little brother.

If we could have, we would have. I think the fact that a team took Williams who is weeks a way from playing and even then, he hasnt played more than a handfull of games in a couple of seasons.

Sorry, I dont agree. His eyes were wide open and geting Cole made sense on multiple levels from a business standpoint to an on ice standpoint.

Im 50/50 on this too but again, if there was a better deal out there a couple of weeks ago, JR would have done it.

According to JR himself, this deal has been in the works between the three teams for a few days now. It took a little time to work out all the details and get it approved by the league.

Im not picking on you golfpro, but this thread reads very familiar to the Ruutu/Ladd thread.

To everyone: Keep the personal comments out of here, you all know the rules and warnings will be given out soon.

Well you can deal with it and if u dont like it u dont have to watch the games.

That's not my thing. I'm a Canes fan. I don't stop supporting a team b/c a player leaves (like people did with Cole) and I certainly don't start liking a team b/c they add a player.

Will I cheer Cole? Absolutely. Why? B/c he's a Cane. But that doesn't mean I have to be all happy and giddy about getting an UFA with some serious injury issues.

The question isn't if this is a good move or not. Getting a player that can play for a player that can't is always a good move. The question is: Is it a good ENOUGH move?

1. The Penguins acquired Guerin today for a bag of pucks. The guy's old, but he can still play. Putting him with any of Pittsburgh centers is sure to produce. Huge jump for them.

2. Buffalo made some minor trades. Grabbed a backup goalie and Dominic Moore. However, today, Vanek returns. Yeah, that's a good boost right there.

3. Florida didn't do much, but it's what they didn't do that's making headlines. Keeping J-Bo has to be a huge relief to the team. That question of whether or not he'll stay isn't hovering over their heads anymore. That'll definitely improve their team.

4. The Rangers made many trades today, grabbing Antropov and the defenseman whose name escapes me right now. That, with the addition of Avery, will probably help the team out.

Us? Well, we acquired a previous player that's essentially a question mark right now. Forget not knowing if he's going to play well, or knowing if he'll improve Staal's play. We're not even sure he wants to be here.

Good points Frog. I only question why you're so optimistic and predict that all the other trades will be "huge jumps, good boosts right there, with definitely improve their team, will help them out" but when it comes to Cole, you see no benefit worth mentioning.