The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

As an Oilers fan let me say that Cole has an amazing work ethic, he hits (has the most hits on the Oil this year) and is incredibly fast. He was easily the hardest working guy on the Oil. Though im sure for alot of you this isn't news obviously.

I attended the Oilers skills competition this year and Coley CLEARLY won the speed event. He even beat Cogliano, which is astounding.

He quickly became my new favorite player on the team this year and I had planned on getting my new 3rd jersey crested with his name...and I still might.

Though on paper I think we came out on top with this trade, I feel horrible about it and will terribly miss Cole.

You guys are lucky to have such a world-class act on your team again.

This is a $ move and that's all it is. It's a shame we had to let go of Williams to make up for stupid contracts like Brind'amour, Walker, Kaberle and Wallin.

A more positive way to view this trade is that we got Cole and Pitkanen for Justin Williams, thats makes me feel a little better.

That's an oversimplification. If you wanted to go that far you could claim it was Danny Markov for Justin Williams, Erik Cole, and Joni Pitkanen.

Either way, I think people are fussing too much about the O'Sullivan part of the trade. It's not like we lost out too much. We end up with a 30 year old winger on pace for a 20 goal season, and potential for a lot more in the right position and system.

That's not my thing. I'm a Canes fan. I don't stop supporting a team b/c a player leaves (like people did with Cole) and I certainly don't start liking a team b/c they add a player.

Will I cheer Cole? Absolutely. Why? B/c he's a Cane. But that doesn't mean I have to be all happy and giddy about getting an UFA with some serious injury issues.

Can we please stop dwelling in the past. Can we talk about now in the present please Cole isnt hurt he hasnt missed a game this season(knock on wood) Williams is weeks away from being ready to play. The broken neck is in the past so I dont see these injury issues u are talking about I would rather have Cole someone who can contribute to the team rather than williams who is sitting in the press box because HE IS HURT NOT COLE. I will also always go to games no matter who is on the team.

I agree with most of you. I think this deal reeks of a nostalgia signing. I'll take P.O. and a 2nd rounder over a beat-up Cole any day. You can rationalize all you want with all of the "he didn't fit in in Edmonton" stuff but in reality the guy's 30 and he's had a recent neck-iotomy. I don't like it but of course will welcome him back with open arms.

As an Oilers fan let me say that Cole has an amazing work ethic, he hits (has the most hits on the Oil this year) and is incredibly fast. He was easily the hardest working guy on the Oil. Though im sure for alot of you this isn't news obviously.

I attended the Oilers skills competition this year and Coley CLEARLY won the speed event. He even beat Cogliano, which is astounding.

He quickly became my new favorite player on the team this year and I had planned on getting my new 3rd jersey crested with his name...and I still might.

Though on paper I think we came out on top with this trade, I feel horrible about it and will terribly miss Cole.

You guys are lucky to have such a world-class act on your team again.

As soon as these fans see Cole speeding down the wing again and drawing multiple defenders to free up space for other players we will again fall inl ove with him. One thing we can say about Cole is that he is tough, anybody that comes back from a major neck injury in the same year will always have my respect.

I think Cole is respected wherever he goes. Thanks for your comments.

Not much that I can add to this discussion, as it's all been pretty well analyzed and dissected. A couple of points to toss in to the mix. I'm betting that Cole returns, telling everyone in Edmonton how sorry he is to leave and then tells everyone here how happy he is to be home again. It's called pro-speak. To make my point, he and Emily still own their home here and it never was listed for sale when he left. So what does that say? I know the housing market has been off, but to not try to sell seems strange unless you were thinking about coming back. As for O'Sullivan, his roots in NC were a nightmare and I don't doubt that he does not want to return. Nothing against the area, but his relationship with his abusive father has been discussed on the net and in hockey books. Even Don Cherry was involved. His father still (apparently) lives in Winston-Salem and at several events, including the last time the Kings played here, there were heavy security forces in the building. The father apparently still stalks his son. As for the trade, I'll let the results on the ice decide whether it was the right thing.

Well, simply put, it's because for the most part, most of those teams had to have done very little to push against us the wall.

Guerin, assumedly, is going to replace Satan on Crosby's line. The Guerin who put up 35 points with the Islanders having no one to play with. And as I already stated, the most they lose is a 3rd round pick for him. Even if he doesn't produce points, that's a veteran forward who knows how to win. Exactly what you need for a playoff push.

Getting Vanek back alone is a big enough push for Buffalo to put the pressure on us. Unless Moore starts causing trouble there and actually makes the team worse, just getting healthy is an obvious boost for them.

The Florida one should be obvious. With all the talk surrounding J-Bo, you can't not assume it had leaked into the Panther's lockerroom. That distraction gone, they can focus on hockey again.

The broken neck is in the past so I dont see these injury issues u are talking about

Did you see Cole the years before the Cup run? Like his rookie year on the BBC and all the improving he did until the Cup year where he was one of the best power forwards in the NHL? That Cole HAS NOT been back since the hit 3 years ago today.

A broken neck is NEVER "in the past"

A broken leg, a broken hand, that's in the past. An injury where you are lucky to be walking again, much less play hockey again, is NOT in the past.

That's an oversimplification. If you wanted to go that far you could claim it was Danny Markov for Justin Williams, Erik Cole, and Joni Pitkanen.

I thought I went as far as I needed to, you went further to the point where it was no longer oversimplified and became confusing.

Did you see Cole the years before the Cup run? Like his rookie year on the BBC and all the improving he did until the Cup year where he was one of the best power forwards in the NHL? That Cole HAS NOT been back since the hit 3 years ago today.

A broken neck is NEVER "in the past"

A broken leg, a broken hand, that's in the past. An injury where you are lucky to be walking again, much less play hockey again, is NOT in the past.

Cole contributes a heck of a lot more than williams does. If u want to talk about injury issues you should be talking about williams and not cole.

Cole contributes a heck of a lot more than williams does. If u want to talk about injury issues you should be talking about williams and not cole.

Please show me a post where I have said I'm mad we dumped Williams or that he was healthier than Cole.

All I'm saying is we could have gotten more than Cole and he has lots of baggage that comes with him (an upcoming UFA and the neck issue).

Well I have said my 2 cents and we will see how this trade plays out ON THE ICE. I am a full supporter of this trade and glad it was made. Welcome back Cole. I wont get to see him live until Monday vs. Rangers. Cant go to the game friday :(

I am a full supporter of this trade and glad it was made.

That's great. I'm 50%.

But just b/c I disagree with your 100% approval of this doesn't mean you have to attack my posts and put words in my mouth.

This is a $ move and that's all it is. It's a shame we had to let go of Williams to make up for stupid contracts like Brind'amour, Walker, Kaberle and Wallin.

Money move...maybe

letting go of willie to make up for stupid contracts....or

....letting go of willie who's spent the past 2 seasons in the press box with no sign of an imminent return, and plugging a big hole at forward that might help get us in the playoffs now?

Well, I just hope that lazy Staal dragging his fat paycheck around still has it in him to keep up with Cole.

I heard Staal was overjoyed purely for the fact that he had his old roommate back to tuck him in and read him bed time stories on the road.

Of all the talk pre-trade deadline it seems to me the biggest need agreed upon by most on here was a power forward (i.e winger) to play with Staal. We got one. Looking around at all the trades, there were very few out there that we could afford. I think we got better, as JW wasn't going to contribute this year, while shedding salary and not selling out prospects and picks. Doing nothing was not an option, and as some have pointed out, alot of teams just ahead of us got better. Was Cole the answer, who knows. We shall see as we have a pretty tough schedule ahead. For gosh sakes, at least we did something to give us a better chance to make the postseason. I can just hear the talk if JR did nothing.

Please show me a post where I have said I'm mad we dumped Williams or that he was healthier than Cole.

All I'm saying is we could have gotten more than Cole and he has lots of baggage that comes with him (an upcoming UFA and the neck issue).

If he is an upcoming issue with his UFA status, then let JR keep his millions he saves on not resigning Cole, and what he saves by dumping willlies contract, and go out and buy us a real top line winger and a shut down dman.

Sounds good to me.

Who do you think a guy who's sat on the IR for what feels like a decade would get back? Who's your trade partner?

U got that right! He has been such a good investment(sarcasm)

I heard Staal was overjoyed purely for the fact that he had his old roommate back to tuck him in and read him bed time stories on the road.

Man, tough crowd.

It wasnt a three way deal and O'sullivan was ours. Williams for O'Sullivan was done straight up.

The point is that Carolina NEVER wanted O'Sullivan to begin with. JR wanted Cole, O'Sullivan was needed to get Cole. Hence he was never ours to begin with as in we didn't want him. Think about it, O'Sullivan was here for like 3 seconds the deal was already in place. Its not like we got O'Sullivan at 10am, then traded him at 3pm.