The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Cole Back to the Canes

Of all the talk pre-trade deadline it seems to me the biggest need agreed upon by most on here was a power forward (i.e winger) to play with Staal. We got one. Looking around at all the trades, there were very few out there that we could afford. I think we got better, as JW wasn't going to contribute this year, while shedding salary and not selling out prospects and picks. Doing nothing was not an option, and as some have pointed out, alot of teams just ahead of us got better. Was Cole the answer, who knows. We shall see as we have a pretty tough schedule ahead. For gosh sakes, at least we did something to give us a better chance to make the postseason. I can just hear the talk if JR did nothing.

Yep. Pretty much sums it up.

Why am I not surprised that you also think Staal is awful.

:blink:

Now u are putting words in my mouth I dont beleive I ever said staal was awful. He only has 50 points and is making 8 million or so a season.

I heard Staal was overjoyed purely for the fact that he had his old roommate back to tuck him in and read him bed time stories on the road.

Great...now this, more Staal bashing. I thought this was w thread about the Cole trade

The point is that Carolina NEVER wanted O'Sullivan to begin with. JR wanted Cole, O'Sullivan was needed to get Cole. Hence he was never ours to begin with as in we didn't want him. Think about it, O'Sullivan was here for like 3 seconds the deal was already in place. Its not like we got O'Sullivan at 10am, then traded him at 3pm.

So you going to change your username back? I would probably wait..... :D

Agreed Staal is having a bad year putting up points. Who on this team isn't though?

But if there were a list of 10 things you want Staal to do, he is going 8 or 9 of them. Scoring a point per game is the main one he is not doing.

However I do admit that the best Staal has ever played was with Cole. This was the year Cole was killing it and skating past everyone and then Staal gets 100.

I was looking for a player like Cole from 3 years ago. Cole is not the same Cole from 3 years ago. Look at the number. They don't lie. And it's not an Edmonton chemistry thing. They were awful the last years in Carolina too compared to the year cup year.

Great...now this, more Staal bashing. I thought this was w thread about the Cole trade

whats your address? Im gonna mail you some money so you can go buy a sense of humor.

The trade makes sense. We got a first line player that works great with Staal for a player who has only played 60 some games the last 2 seasons.

whats your address? Im gonna mail you some money so you can go buy a sense of humor.

If thought it was funny I would have laughed. there was three consective post with Staal bashing. I just get sick of it. We can't even have a real hockey discussion with someone making a snied comment about Staal. I apologize to you if you were making a joke.

I'll take whatever extra money you got. Times are tough.

Now back to the Cole trade discussion

So you going to change your username back? I would probably wait..... :D

No...haha

What I got from JR reading between the lines is that Cole won't be here next year. He wanted to dump salary, unfortuntly, the ones we would like to have dumped no one wants.

O'Sullivan won't play here b/c of his father.

Why do people not understand this?

Of course this is the same message board that once had someone say "trade everyone but LaRose Bayda and Cullen for Ovechkin and then just play the rats"

Peace Out to an injury prone player who got paid way too much for how much he hasn't played. Thanks for scoring the SC winner in 06.

I welcome Colesy back with open arms as I am sure are ALL the Canes players. The dude will definitely give us the toughness that this team has been lacking at times.

Hey, one thing I will tell you.....Semin and Overchicken better get used to ice on their pants......cause we now got the man who will put em down! :lol:

If nothing else, that's almost worth it right there. :lol:

O'Sullivan won't play here b/c of his father.

Why do people not understand this?

Of course this is the same message board that once had someone say "trade everyone but LaRose Bayda and Cullen for Ovechkin and then just play the rats"

Hey we actually agree on something u are right O'Sullivan wouldn't have played here because of his father I remeber reading that story it was pretty messed up.

No...haha

What I got from JR reading between the lines is that Cole won't be here next year. He wanted to dump salary, unfortuntly, the ones we would like to have dumped no one wants.

I have to agree with you Colseylarosefan (HEH).

Looks like a little push for the playoffs this year, and a dump next year. Question is will we try to retire Brind'Amour next year as well? If so we will have a bit of $ to work with which we need.

Our future is Drayson Bowman and Zach Boychuk both of whom are fast smallish players.

Keeping 2 power forwards (Cole and Ruutu) if we can, will be a real plus with them.

Cole had a chance at a longer term contract after the SCF and as I recall he wanted to be able to "test the market," earlier. This was a heck of a slap in the face to JR who offered the guy a nice contract and still had a healing broken neck. Maybe Cole has seen what Chris Pronger saw, there are a lot of places that aren't worth living in to play hockey even for extra Cash. (no offense to Edmonton at all)

It would have been awesome to get O'Sullivan he is the first and only native of North Carolina to play in the NHL, I believe he was born and raised in Winston-Salem.

But on the other hand, I am so happy that Erik Cole is back, I hope he does better back here than he has in Edmonton. Plus this makes that new Cole jersey I bought back before he got traded relavent again.

COLE SMASH!

Not sure you've heard of this person, but his name is Jared Boll. He is a native of Charlotte and still lives there in the off season. He plays for the Blue Jackets. Boll I think is 2nd in the league in penalty minutes...or at least was.

i don't know if anybody posted this or not yet. i didn't feel like going through all of them. anyway i was checking out the oilers message boards, and it seems the fans there really liked cole, and had nothing but a lot of respect for him. it is worth checking out.

http://forums.edmontonoilers.com/index.php?showtopic=46811

seems like they are really going to miss him even though his stats weren't great, but then again stats don't necassarily make a player what he is. there are alot of things that do not show up on the stat sheets that can help make a player good.

Peace Out to an injury prone player who got paid way too much for how much he hasn't played. Thanks for scoring the SC winner in 06.

Kaberle scored the SC winner.

Justin's goal just secured it for us with time running out for the Oil.