The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceIceBaby-ch1

Canes Team Practice Questions (merged)

You should call the RecZone. That's what I do to make sure everytime and they will tell you whether or not they are practicing. And yes, you can still wait by that front to the side door thing...with the logo on it. Hope that helps.

Hello all, I am FINALLY leaving the middle east and will be back in the states Feb. 13. I plan to drive to Raleigh to see the game on the 20th and then get tickets for the military appreciation day (Has to be the first time I will use a military discount) that Sunday.

So I am all excited that I can see the Canes play live after a year and a half out of the US, but I really am dying to see a practice more than the games. That may sound crazy, but I am a level 3 coach and hope to get my level 4 this summer. I have never been able to see pro teams practice, so I really want to see it and take notes even if its mentally. The rec zone has practice listed for the canes that Sat. but I have reservations. Basically, my concern is... are Sat. practices crowded because it's a weekend? Can you meet the players at all? (Only 1-2 I would like to meet because I never have in the past at Caniac Carnivals etc.) In general how are Rec Zone practices? like would I have to pay admission to watch, etc. How can you tell if its a closed practice since I have read about those on occasion here on the boards.

I know the Rec Zone is kinda small as far as area around the ice, I try to skate there during public sessions when I am in Raleigh visiting family so just trying to find out what kinda plans I should make if any. Kinda bummed out they don't have a practice other than that one on the schedule and not sure if they would be practicing elsewhere or not.

Thanks in advance for assistance. Trying to make that weekend pretty Canes filled since that following Tuesday I am headed out to my next (and LAST) duty station. Guess the good part is at least I am moving to a place that has a lot of hockey....Minnesota.

First off, we're glad you're coming home! And we know you are too. The RBC is very friendly to the military and typically there's a Welcome Home message for someone on the Tron during many games. There's always a standing ovation.

As for practice at the RecZone, it's free, open, and I've never seen it crowded. Most times I've been there, you can stand by the glass or sit in the bleachers, your choice. Just check the RecZone schedule online for when practices are held. Although I've never done it, I understand that it's pretty easy to get autographs. I'm not sure which door the players usually come out, but I'm sure others will chime in with the inside information.

So you're getting short. Short enough you have to stand on a nickel to see over a dime. Been there, done that many years ago.

Welcome home Doppler, glad you made it home safely. You should be able to get autos at the Rec Zone, some players leave by the back enterance where they park and others from right out in front. You wont miss them.

Better get some warm clothes for MN.

Thanks for the info!

Luckly I have been offered some STH practice tickets, so I was on the interent searching for a doggie day care around Raleigh (Found one and reservation made for my golden)!

Bad part is it will be 2 days after landing so I will be all messed up with my sleep. Hope I can stay awake for it and the drive there and back. (Red Bull and Coffee I guess). Movers will be at my home in Va. day after and I know I got things to do before they get there.

I am very excited to be headed back and taking advantage of all the Canes opportunities despite the logistic nightmares due to my move (movers, shutting off utilities, etc). Going to be a non-stop 9 days. Glad I will be checking in just before the weekend. Will need it to sleep.

As for the clothes... Yeah, well... Guess I better get those in my schedule too. I have to get a whole new wardrobe since I lost 30lbs in the last year so all I have currently is jeans, workout pants, t-shirts and hockey jerseys.

Now I just have to survive the pre-departure test... international hockey tournament -gulp- Glad there will be 3 goalies on the roster including me, between it and my transfer I am all messed up with my nerves.

Hey Dopler, I know you can not wait to get back in country. We look forward to having you back and visiting us on 2/20. Fire me a PM as to where you will be sitting if you do not mind.

Do not worry about the nerves. It will all come back to you. You will probably be lightning fast between the pipes after dropping 30.

I have browsed through the site quite a bit and can't seem to find a definitive answer on bringing cameras to practice at the RBC Center. The fan guidelines says something about no "video, audio or digital recording device" but I know I have see fan pictures of practice there before. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

I try to get to the games 1/2 hour before the game. I usally go to one of the corners where the canes warm up. I get right up to the glass and usually get excellent close up shots of the players. Never had a problem in doing that.

Just curious about why players do not attend practice. Are they optional or is something actually wrong with them? Does anyone know?

Also, I heard Tripp Tracy was in net at practice. I know he use to be a goalie, and a pretty good one, so does he still have it or is it a publicity stunt?

Thanks!

Just curious about why players do not attend practice. Are they optional or is something actually wrong with them? Does anyone know?

Also, I heard Tripp Tracy was in net at practice. I know he use to be a goalie, and a pretty good one, so does he still have it or is it a publicity stunt?

Thanks!

usually not optional but if a player is nursing an injury or just needs a little rest then the coaching staff can opt to let them take the time off.

Thanks!

Some days it is optional for the entire team-the specific circumstances vary from team to team. Generally if a player misses practice completely, they are likely injured or beat up. Ward missed practice yesterday since he's played so many games in a row and the coaches felt he needed a day to rest, but was back this morning. And that is why Tripp was in the net; rumor has it that he wasn't that bad, maybe a little rusty but not bad. ;)

He wasnt bad, the players made a huge deal of every goal they made on him...and laughed...but he was good, and when leighton's whole right arm pad fell off he was the only one there and he got rocked with shots (not to mention 1st line pitkanen larose and bayda hammered him for the first 20 minutes i was there)

Anyone planning on going to the last Canes practice of the regular season tomorrow? It happens to be that tomorrow is the first day in a long time in which I am able to attend, but could it end up being closed? I know they are going to have to hop a jet to NJ for Saturday's afternoon game, so do you think Mo would give them the day off, or do you think that he'll make them practice, esp. after tonight's absolutely tragic outcome?

I sure hope it wont be cancelled! :(

Anyone planning on going to the last Canes practice of the regular season tomorrow? It happens to be that tomorrow is the first day in a long time in which I am able to attend, but could it end up being closed? I know they are going to have to hop a jet to NJ for Saturday's afternoon game, so do you think Mo would give them the day off, or do you think that he'll make them practice, esp. after tonight's absolutely tragic outcome?

I sure hope it wont be cancelled!

:(

you can call security (i think) tomorrow to see if it's cancelled or closed to the public. the number is up in their FAQs about practice.