The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
sabres10-ch1

My 4th game at the RBC Center

I'm sorry that all this happened to you. If you were indeed simply cheering for the Sabres and were told off by an usher that's totally unreasonable (on the usher's part I mean).

People tend to be sensitive toward Buffalo fans and paint everyone the same color sometimes, because of what happened back in 2006. I'm not making excuses for anyone, but I have seen it happen to Buffalo fans who aren't causing disruptions.

I have never been told by an usher to "sit down and be quiet," and I've definitely (and loudly) directed some choice words at the team before when they've been playing poorly. So if he told you to sit just for cheering, it was certainly out-of-line unless something else was going on.

What I have to ask you, though, is, you say that this is your 4th visit to the RBCC...so apparently it's been okay enough that you've been three times already. You're going to refuse to return because of one bad night, a rude woman and a rude usher?

I assure you what you describe is not indiciative of the majority of our fanbase or even a significant part of it. Contact RBCC administration if you have a complaint against the staff - but don't come in here saying "this needs to be said." We can't do anything about a couple of snarky fans who may have said inappropriate things. If they were being that bad, I would have gone to Guest Services and told them about it, they don't care who you pull for. But stuff like this happens, and it's not like we're all going to come together on this board and say "we have a problem with people being inappropriately hostile toward visiting fans." Carolina is not exactly notorious for unruly crowds.

Most of us know "how to lose." Sorry if you came across one or two sore losers. But don't come in here making generalizations.

I am sorry that this happened to you, you should absolutely feel free to come into any arena and be able to cheer on your team in a happy and positive way. That is definitely not acceptable to be told to sit down and be quite if you are doing nothing disruptive or rude. As for the fans, that is not representative of our fan base at all. "We have a lot to learn about losing" is a pretty big statement that only really applies to a few fans who have had too much to drink or really bad experiences with sabres fans. I wouldn't be so quick to judge a fan base on the behavior of a few people who don't know how to act towards other fans. I am sorry though and I wish your visit to the RBC was better, and congrats on the win tonight.

I agree with the posts above me. Unfortunately, a lot of bandwagon drunkard Sabres fans have given your fanbase a very, very bad name at the RBC Center. I am sorry you were treated so unfairly, but do understand most of the blame can be placed at the source of the problem, which is and will remain for some time, the aforementioned fools who happened to all be wearing Sabres sweaters from games past. Please also consider that the RBC Center is stuck between a rock and hard place in dealing with the "idiots" by bringing in more ushers, security, and police officers for Sabres games, and Sabres games alone, and the easiest and most obvious way to identify possible goons is by the sweater they are wearing or the team they are cheering for. This is NOT how any other team's fanbase in the league is treated at the RBC Center - the Sabres are the exception to the rule and this is not how ushers and security deal with opposing fans. I understand your situation and feel for you, but honestly it's nothing personal. Perhaps you aren't fully aware of the kinds of problems we have had with Sabres "fans" in the past.

However, you aren't exactly helping your case by 1) circumventing the curse word filter and 2) playing the part of the pot calling the kettle black by lumping all of us together and telling all of us: "sure, you won the cup in '06, and you have a shot again this year. But you guys have a lot to learn about how to lose a game," as if the entire Caniac fanbase was telling you to sit down and be quiet. You make yourself look foolish with comments like that.

With that said, I hope you will continue attending games at the RBC Center and if you are there to cheer on the Sabres, more power to you. We need MORE Sabres fans like YOU at the RBC Center and LESS of the Sabres so-called "fans" who have given your hockey team's fanbase such a bad name in Raleigh so that the reputation thereof can be rightfully restored.

Good luck next season!

Sorry this happened to you.

That said, you probably would have garnered a little more support without the back-handed "you guys need to learn how to lose" comment.

Might be a stretch, but I think the overwhelming majority of the 18,513 Caniacs that were there didin't give you a problem and were good sports about the loss.. ;)

Sure, you won the cup in '06, and you have a shot again this year. But you guys have a lot to learn about how to lose a game.

The Buffalo Sabres won this evening. They were absolutely, unequivocally, the better team in this match. I doubt any of you would argue how the Hurricanes were absolutely outplayed this evening. I have lived in the Raleigh area for the last two years. I supply the Carolina Hurricanes with 60 individuals to be a part of their "Group Program". After tonight, no matter what freebies they throw at me, I can no longer support this organization.

Sure, you won the cup in '06, and you have a shot again this year. But you guys have a lot to learn about how to lose a game.

You really had me on your side with the exception of these two things.

First, I'm sorry you had a bad experience at a game. If you were simply cheering on the Sabres, then nobody should have said a word to you. If any Canes fans were unduly rude or did anything that was possibly sexual harassment you should have contacted someone with the RBC immediately. There is no excuse for that.

Now, on to the negative. First lets have a little history lesson. The RBC has to use extra security for Sabres games. This is because of some "extra boisterous" fans that have shown up for games in the past. You always remember the negative more than the positive and that is what the Hurricanes fanbase remembers about Buffalo fans. The RBC security and the ushers also remember this from the past and they will probably err on the side of the Canes fans when there seems to be an issue. This doesn't excuse the actions of the fans beside you, but I will say just as we shouldn't paint all Sabres fans with the same brush, you shouldn't paint all Canes fans with the same brush.

If you choose not to support the organization for the actions of a few fans, that would be unfortunate. I always enjoy the Buffalo games because I like the extra energy in the building. I had Sabres fans behind me and there were no issues. Your last litte bit about us needing to learn how to lose a game was where you lost your sympathy with most here. I would almost guarantee you that the people you had issues with aren't posters on this board. It reeked of sour grapes.

Come back to a Canes game when your Sabres are playing. More than likely, I'll be tailgating in the East lot close to the RBC all the way down the hill to the right as you enter. Come have a beer. All Caniacs don't bite.

Yes, you are all correct. And thank you for your sympathy.

First off, you are correct about my framing of expletives, I apologize. If you look at the timestamp of the post, it was very late at night. I was very annoyed with the situation (particularly what my sister from Buffalo had endured) and I had been blowing off some steam. I know I'll be back to the RBC, the next 6 months will probably heal these wounds. This isn't an excuse, but I do apologize for my heated comments. Believe me when I say that my original flow of thought had to be edited several times to get to that product.

Lumping you all in the same category as the bad apples is also not a good way to go about it, and I again apologize. But to be honest, I was getting it from pretty much every angle last night. To say that there were a few bad apples is one thing, but the people that allowed me to cheer for my team (eventually) were people I had to talk to, load up with positive complements about how well your team was playing overall, take a few "licks" about the playoffs *first* before I could even cheer for my team without sneers or derisive and backhanded comments from them. Needless to say, by the time the 5th goal had come around, despite these efforts, people weren't very pleased that I was around, and let me know it.

I wasn't here in 2006, but from the stories I have heard from 'Canes and Sabres fans alike, I certainly can't defend what happened during that playoff series by either fan base. It was the playoffs, a lot of crazy things happen (not an excuse). Seeing as how that was the last playoff series you guys were in that had a fair proportion of transplants going to games (not familiar with the numbers for Edmonton) I'm sure that has left a bitter taste in your mouth for Buffalo fans the last few years. Perhaps during these playoffs you'll get an even worse group of fans to come down, and we'll be "off the hook". I'm certainly not hoping for that, btw, just a passing thought.

In the past, even the RBC Center scoreboard/"Jumbotron" attempts to display the city of Buffalo in a negative light:

- "As part of the stimulus package, President Obama offered to give Buffalo to Canada...and Canada politely refused" (the game on 26 Feb 2009)

- They put up the National Weather Service forecast for the city of Raleigh and then the city of Buffalo (the game on 8 March 2008). The weather in Raleigh was sunny and warm, Buffalo was drizzly and cold.

Specifically making mention of these things as they were just attacks on the city of Buffalo, I'm not even referring to the numerous negative references to our new logo (which no one is a fan of, even in Buffalo, believe me). Sure, they're silly and shouldn't be taken seriously, but if you want to get your fans excited say something positive about your team! Acting negatively towards the opposing team's *hometown* is not a acceptable way to promote your team. I grew up in that city but my career took me here, I love Buffalo. I'm sure there are a lot of transplants that are on this board, and I'm sure you know how being uprooted feels. Believe me when I say that this is the first time I have seen the local team do this sort of thing, and as from the above post, I have been to a lot of arenas and football stadiums.

Put yourself in my shoes... how would you feel if you went to the HSBC Arena in Buffalo on the last day of last season, took a solid 2 1/2 to 3 hours of harassment from the local fans, saw negative comments displayed on the video board about the state of North Carolina, and when they put up the out of town scoreboard hear several thousand fans cheer at the unfolding score of the Capitals game as they knock you out of the playoffs for a second straight year. Then, to top it off an usher asks you to "sit down and watch the game" while cheering your team on to a possible shutout while a drunken Sabres fan is screaming obscenities at you next to her less-than-8 year old child.

I guess my point is:

1) Not all Sabres fans are terrible people, a lot of us come to the game to just cheer on our team and have no interest in getting into it. Being targeted because of the jersey I'm wearing and automatically assuming I'm the individual that "needs to sit down and watch the game" rather than the obviously intoxicated woman screaming obscenities at me or the other aforementioned cases is neither fair nor sporting. I paid for my ticket, same as you all. I should be able to cheer for my team positively and without such incidents.

2) The fan base seems to expect every Sabres fan to be a jerk, I hear it all of the time. We're not all jerks, there are a few bad apples, but what team doesn't have those? I contribute to the community of Raleigh as a professional, volunteer, and taxpayer. If you met me, you'd probably think I'm an alright guy. I'm in the trenches with Raleigh and cheer on the Wolfpack during the fall. Superdave, I might even take you up on that offer :-)

3) The RBC Center itself needs to stop with these silly messages on the video board about the city of Buffalo. Make positive comments about your team rather than negative comments about a place that probably at least 1/2 of the Caniac fans in attendance have never been to. Most of the individuals around me, when they weren't reminding me about the playoffs, would berate me on the basis of my hometown - whether from an economic, meteorological, or stereotypical standpoint. I consider that to be over-the-line. We're at a hockey game, argue with me about your team or my team, don't rip on my hometown incessantly.

4) When the out-of-town scoreboard comes up and the team you're playing is facing elimination, it isn't necessary to cheer for their probable demise. I highly doubt the thousands of cheers I heard were from Ranger fans last night in attendance. Similarly, on my way through the parking lot to my car, I don't need several reminders of the final score of that game nor reminders that my team had been officially eliminated. I had my iPhone, I know how to check the score, thank you.

Again, thank you for your sympathies. And thank you for your suggestions for me to contact guest services. I have also been formulating an open letter to address this issue with them in the coming week. I wish your team luck in the postseason, the team certainly deserve to see the quarterfinals after the push they made. This year my team was not as lucky - first losing Vanek and then Miller for almost half of our season, considering I'm actually pleased that we were able to go to the 80th game still in playoff contention.

Sabres10 you have some very good points and I have to admit you guys really weren't bad last night except in the parking lot some jerk was giving me a hard time about the canes losing and I didnt start anything with him and then I told him "to shut up because ur team isnt even in the playoffs" he deserved it because he did start messing with me and my policy is if someone starts something with me I have every right to yell back at them and stick up for myself.

I was disappointed in canes fans last night in my section 109 I have never sat in a more apathetic section me and my friend were the only people who actually gave a care about the game and the calls the refs made etc. I usually sit in 126 and I love it there because there are a lot of passionate fans their including myself that care about the game. I have been to 25 home games this season and this last home game has been the worst because of how the team played and how pathetic the canes fans were in 109 I dont usually sit in 109 I went with my friend cause he had an extra ticket but I will never sit their again. Some jerks were standing up during the game and I told them to sit down and then they are giving me attitude because I told them to sit down cause I want to watch the game are you kidding me. Also this brat turns around and tells me to quit yelling at the refs after derek roy got that penalty shot. Well I told her that this is the NHL and if she doesnt like it she can watch the game at home because I take pride in being a hockey fan and being a very passionate Hurricanes fan I also told her that I have freedom of speech and that she can pretty much kiss it. I would recomend that if you are a passionate fan that cares about the Canes and if they win or lose DONT sit in 109.

Something that Sabres fans have to remeber is how terrible they acted in the 06 playoffs I personally will never forgive them for some of the things I heard or saw. Some of them were going after elementary aged kids which I find disgusting and pathetic.

Perhaps during these playoffs you'll get an even worse group of fans to come down, and we'll be "off the hook". I'm certainly not hoping for that, btw, just a passing thought.

My friend, that made me laugh out loud at my desk at work. Maybe it will be Philly fans that we attack next year.

I was glad the staff didn't do all of the anti-Buffalo stuff last night. I do like to do everything we can to promote the Canes and even poke a little jab at the opponents, but I think all of the Buffalo fans bought their tickets, paid for parking, and bought concessions (at least a lot of beer). Never tick off the paying customer. As far as the fans applauding for the Sabres getting knocked out of the playoffs, that's just the way it is. There were a ton of fans there that were disappointed that the Canes weren't the ones that knocked you out. Last season, we were knocked out on home ice on the last day of the season by the Panthers, so we can sympathize.

As a long time Canes fan, I know the 2006 ECFs with the Sabre fans leaves a bad taste in people's mouth including security. And I don't agree with the original post of "learning to loose" but appreciate the 2nd response.

That said, the Canes fans need to ease up on the comments. I know it is a small minority but some of the trash talk after the game was just stoo-pid. I know some of the Sabres fans talk some trash but I saw many Canes fans (yes, they were young) going out of their way to talk trash.

I think people need to go to another arena and watch the canes and see how you are treated and how you want to be treated.

If a canes or Sabres fan is a jerk, throw them out.....but not for being a fan.

That said, it is a good rivalry.

1) what sabres10 doesn't seem to have a grasp for is that in '06 the bad slug fans outnumbered bad canes fans by at least 20 to 1. I witnessed a young canes fan in the parking lot congratulating a buffalo fan for their win that day and as the kid turned around the buffalo fan (at least 15 years older or more) punched the kid in the back of the head knocking him to the ground. AND THAT AFTER THEY HAD WON THE GAME, i would hate to think of the carnage had they lost that one. Luckily by the time the next and subsequent games rolled around security was substantially tighter.

2) just where were all the slug fans last night, my first comment upon entering the parking lot is "whoa, no one is here". Not that i am complaining.

3) they always poke fun at the opposing teams home town on the jumbotron, quit being so thin skinned!!

Something that Sabres fans have to remeber is how terrible they acted in the 06 playoffs I personally will never forgive them for some of the things I heard or saw. Some of them were going after elementary aged kids which I find disgusting and pathetic.

Yes, I have heard similar things. I have heard it from Sabres fans and Hurricanes fans. Let me just say that (again second hand information as I wasn't there) it wasn't just the Sabres fans that were misbehaving, I heard plenty of bad things about the Hurricanes loss in Game 1 in particular. I was at HSBC Arena for Games 3, 4, and 6, there were no Hurricanes fans around me at these games, so I cannot attest to their behavior in Buffalo. I almost made the trip down for game 7, but was moving from Buffalo to Albany that day and really couldn't justify the expense - from everything I've heard, I'm pretty glad I didn't attend.

I can't apologize for what happened in that series. I know it was disgraceful, disgusting, pathetic, rude, and a bad image to display (again, from the people in blue and the people in red). But just as I was criticized for making a blanket statement earlier regarding your fans. I ask that you consider the same. I've been to a few other games at the RBC this year as part of their Group Leader promotions, vs Nashville, TB, Montreal (when I say 4th game, I should specify 4th Sabres game at the RBC Center, apologies). The Canes fans at those game are much more respectful of their opponents at those games than games against Buffalo.

I guess that comes as a consequence of what happened 3 years ago. I hope that at some point we can "bury the hatchet" and get over it. You're always going to see available seats stuffed with Blue and Gold in games against Buffalo - its hard for Buffalo fans to lose allegiance to their hometown teams. In addition, the Bills will be in Charlotte this fall, so you can expect us out there. If we buy the tickets, we deserve to be able to cheer for our team in a respectful and courteous way. We ask for courtesy and respect in turn.

just where were all the slug fans last night, my first comment upon entering the parking lot is "whoa, no one is here".

I noticed the reduction in "LET'S GO BUF-FA-LO" in the parking lot and the arena too. I was wondering for a while if I came on the wrong night and I was going to see Disney on Ice or the Blue Man Group or something.

2) just where were all the slug fans last night, my first comment upon entering the parking lot is "whoa, no one is here". Not that i am complaining.

I was also disappointed in the Sabres fan attendance last night. My sister drove in specifically for the game, and I had talked it up as the last 3 sabres-hurricanes games the Sabres fans were at least 1/3 of the total capacity. Usually we fill the seats but I know several people that didn't go to the game because they wanted to watch the Ranger game at the same time. Our poor attendance last night can be attributed, in part to the scheduling and in part to the fact that we had a 2.1% chance of making the playoffs at that point.

And to be fair, when the second intermission was over, I thought the same thing about the 'Canes fans.

Sitting in my section tonight, I cheered for the goals. Applauded the effort. And cheered my team to victory....

But then an usher told me to sit down. He told me to "keep quiet and watch the game". What was this?

Yes, as I'm already sure you have assumed, I am a fan of the Buffalo Sabres, enjoying what was our last few moments to stay alive in the playoff hunt. Our team played their heart out this evening, but it was all-for-naught. As I'm sure you are aware, the NY Rangers won as well, eliminating mathematical possibility of my team entering the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Did I register on this forum to complain about that? No. This was a hard fought season. We lost our leading scorer, and then our leading goaltender. The season is over for us, and I'm not here to be a crybaby *edit*.

What I am here to complain about is the usher in section 318 who told me to "keep quiet and watch the game". I'm sorry, this is a *HOCKEY* game in the NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE. It doesn't matter if I am at HSBC Arena or the RBC Center, I should be able to cheer on my team. I paid the same admission as all of you to cheer on my team, regardless of whatever team that may be.

I'm sure you all are thinking "oh, this is just another *edit* Buffalo fan who comes into Raleigh and talks *edit* about our team". No. I specifically made an effort to try and stay positive throughout the entire game and simply cheer my team on to victory. When we were up 1 goal, I was pleased. 2 goals, happy. 3 goals, joyous. 4 goals, jubilant. 5 goals, ecstatic. I never said a "peep" about the effort displayed by my opposing team. I tried to keep my attitude positive and tried my best not to say a word against the Hurricanes. I was talking to the individuals sitting around me about how well Cam Ward had played in his last 25 games starting. I had talked about how impressed I was that they won 9-in-a-row, etc etc.

Nevertheless, a woman in section 319 began to *curse* at me. She began to berate me. She began to say horrid things and make offensive gestures. This was all witnessed not just by me, but my a small child she had sitting next to her (I believe *her* child as they left together). My sister from Buffalo was the subject of *sexual harassment* at the hands of these "caniacs". Apparently my cheering was thought of as *offensive* by your fans. They (those that stayed behind after the second intermission) continued to scream and yell at me just for cheering my team on to their eventual victory.

It was at this point I had an usher approach me and tell me to "sit down and watch the game". There was a mere minute left in the game and he told me to sit down, rather than cheer my team onto their victory. Again, I was not making any negative comments. I was just the recipient of horrible phrases and gestures. Apparently that's enough to get ejected in "the new NHL"

The Buffalo Sabres won this evening. They were absolutely, unequivocally, the better team in this match. I doubt any of you would argue how the Hurricanes were absolutely outplayed this evening. I have lived in the Raleigh area for the last two years. I supply the Carolina Hurricanes with 60 individuals to be a part of their "Group Program". After tonight, no matter what freebies they throw at me, I can no longer support this organization.

I contribute to the RYHA. I am an avid hockey fan and player. Growing up in Buffalo, I always have been. Outside of Raleigh, I have been to hockey games in Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Philadephia, NY (Rangers and Islanders), Denver, and of course Buffalo in the regular season and *deep* into the playoffs. Despite this, I have never *ever* been told to "sit down and watch the game" by an usher and three security guards. I have never *ever* been subject to this kind of antagonization. I have never *ever* witnessed a female being sexually harassed by local fans.

Where were the usher and three security guards to tell the "caniacs" to "sit down and watch the game" when I was being berated by most of the people in my section? Where were the usher and three security guards to tell the "caniacs" to "sit down and watch the game" when my sister was being sexually harassed? Where were the usher and three security guards to tell the "caniacs" to "sit down and watch the game" when a middle-aged woman was screaming expletives and making obscene gestures at me next to a child (presumably HER child)???

I'm not flaming, I'm not here to gloat, I'm just here to tell what happened. I'm sure this post will be the subject of complaint, disapproval, scrutiny, and possibly removal. But this needs to be said.

Sabres10, I am afraid I must contradict you. I was also sitting in Section 318, a few rows behind you. If you were the young man in the Ryan Miller jersey, and I believe you were, because you were the only one I saw spoken to several times regarding your Buffalo Sabres flag. I also believe at one point you turned around and started yelling stuff after the first goal to those of us Caniacs sitting behind you. After you began waving your flag overhead, people behind you could not see. You refused to SIT DOWN for the first 10 minutes of the game, the gentleman in front of me leaned over the glass and asked you politely to sit down so people behind you could see. I was there.

I believe the order you were approached, was Usher, fan and then security after you hung your flag over the front of the section. No one, Hurricanes fans included are allowed to hang anything over the wall at the front of the section. Granted, you and your friends, for the most part were well-behaved Buffalo fans, please understand, we are a little less tolerant after the experiences of the 2006 SC Playoffs. Wanna talk about bad experiences. I was assaulted in my own arena by a Buffalo fan. I am a 5'3" woman and this "gentleman" was close to 6 ft and chose to knock me to the ground from behind. Everyone I was with was shocked that this idiot picked the smallest person in our group to pick on. The only thing being said to you from my general area was the score of the Rangers game and to enjoy the golf course.

I take a bit of umbrage at your indication that you did nothing wrong. Take note of the fact that one, you were wearing opposing colors. Two, you were quite rude in your own right to both the Canes fans and staff. Remember, I was sitting behind you or your friends seeing as you were all together.

Seriously, I had a group of Buffalo fans both pre-game and post-game, walk by my van talking *edit* without provocation. Why is it that Buffalo fans love this place all year, except when the Slugs come to play and then it's *edit* about NASCAR, BBQ, inbreeding, or worse. I too faced my own *Sexual Harrasment* last night, as well as being told of activities my child did that were quite lewd. Your fan base makes assumptions that are not correct. We are not all NASCAR fans, some of us are also from more temperate climbs than Cary, NC. I don't care how much money you give to the Hurricanes or RYHA. Show some class when you come to our house and you will be treated with such. Show your backside and you will see ours.

You have way over-exaggerated what supposedly happened to you last night. The people behind you paid good money to see the game too.

Additionally, I believe part of your group came a few rows back after a spill led to cleanup in ROW A. We gladly offered you the empty seats around us. Please don't paint us with the broad strokes you don't want to be painted with.

Sabres10, I am afraid I must contradict you. I was also sitting in Section 318, a few rows behind you. If you were the young man in the Ryan Miller jersey, and I believe you were, because you were the only one I saw spoken to several times regarding your Buffalo Sabres flag. I also believe at one point you turned around and started yelling stuff after the first goal to those of us Caniacs sitting behind you. After you began waving your flag overhead, people behind you could not see. You refused to SIT DOWN for the first 10 minutes of the game, the gentleman in front of me leaned over the glass and asked you politely to sit down so people behind you could see. I was there.

I must immediately nip this comment in the bud...I was not this individual. The only time I stood up to cheer was during Sabre goals, Roy's penalty shot (everyone else was standing as well), and for the final minute (to cheer my team off the ice). This is when I was approached by an usher. I was not waving a flag, nor was I in possession of one. I am sorry that this particular fan was not courteous of the puck-in-play rules generally understood by most people in the league. I was not that individual. I was sitting in sect 318, Row J, Seat 8 if you need me to specify.

The only time I stood while the puck was in play (aside from Roy's penalty shot) was in the final minute, as it is generally customary to cheer the final minute of a goalie's shutout (or attempted in this case).

I think Canicac2630 sumed it up the best you shouldn't be playing the victin sabres10 after everything u slugs fans have done to us I am not going to get into specifics of what you guys have done to me. You guys can't seriously think u are the victicm after the countless years of what slugs fans have done to canes fans so what if we weren't very nice to you it isnt like slugs fans are ever nice to canes fans. Also if you are standing up during the game u need to SIT DOWN i didnt spend $$ on tickets to see a slug fan standing up right infront of me. I think slug fans need a reality check and think of everything they have done to canes fans b4 you try to start playing the victim.

Also caniac2630 if I was there and saw u or any woman get pushed down by a drunk u can bet that me and my buddies would beat the u know what out that slug fan.

sounds like someone just got busted!!!! Thanks for the post caniac2630, now we can end this pitty party.

Yes, I have heard similar things. I have heard it from Sabres fans and Hurricanes fans. Let me just say that (again second hand information as I wasn't there) it wasn't just the Sabres fans that were misbehaving, I heard plenty of bad things about the Hurricanes loss in Game 1 in particular. I was at HSBC Arena for Games 3, 4, and 6, there were no Hurricanes fans around me at these games, so I cannot attest to their behavior in Buffalo.

I can't apologize for what happened in that series. I know it was disgraceful, disgusting, pathetic, rude, and a bad image to display (again, from the people in blue and the people in red). The Canes fans at those game are much more respectful of their opponents at those games than games against Buffalo.

I guess that comes as a consequence of what happened 3 years ago. I hope that at some point we can "bury the hatchet" and get over it. You're always going to see available seats stuffed with Blue and Gold in games against Buffalo - its hard for Buffalo fans to lose allegiance to their hometown teams.

I've got to say having attended all of the 05/06 playoff games, the numbers of red shirted Hurricanes causing problems was extremely small. I realize if you didnt attend it would be easy to assume "well it had to be two willing parties in all of those fights," well it was more like Buffalo fans coming to our city, disrespecting our police, our arena, our team, our fans, and our property. Sure we had some people defend themselves, and a very few that also were instigators, but it was such a loopsided display of poor behavior that the Sabres earned the right to be where they are when they come to Raleigh.

I regret for the good Buffalo fans that went or still come here they are treated differently than other NHL teams fans might be here. However, after multiple games in 05/06 it would be called poor prudence if that treatment were not in place. YOu can google the news articles from the ECF and you will see it was much more than a few fans that got mistreated and more like a melee at times.

While you were not at the ECF and say "I can't apologize for what happened in the series," I have no problem saying: I was not there last night but apologize for the way you were treated. Perhaps there is a cultural difference between the two cities that explains the disdain shown Sabre fans now that they often seem shocked to find?

From your first post you also end it in a way that seemed so prevelant in the ECF. It's obvious that Sabre fans feel "we don't know hockey, are not worthy of its awards, or not worthy to judge poor hockey behavior." I think you should reflect on this a bit as that arrogance you can't apologize for in 2006, sure seeps through your first post here in 2009.

I must immediately nip this comment in the bud...I was not this individual. The only time I stood up to cheer was during Sabre goals, Roy's penalty shot (everyone else was standing as well), and for the final minute (to cheer my team off the ice). This is when I was approached by an usher. I was not waving a flag, nor was I in possession of one. I am sorry that this particular fan was not courteous of the puck-in-play rules generally understood by most people in the league. I was not that individual. I was sitting in sect 318, Row J, Seat 8 if you need me to specify.

The only time I stood while the puck was in play (aside from Roy's penalty shot) was in the final minute, as it is generally customary to cheer the final minute of a goalie's shutout (or attempted in this case).

Then I apologize. But at the same time. I did not see that side as I was focused on the game and the idiots in front of me. I am sure you heard the Buffalo fans from over in section 317 banging on seats and shouting rude comments as well. Seeing as you were closer to them than I was.

I do think I posed a legitimate question to you as well. Why do you all like it down her except on the days that the Sabres come to play and then bash the area, the fans, our traditions here and everything else. You all moved here for some reason or another.

As far as not changing alliances. A friend of mine who still has family from Buffalo is ashamed of the way that most of the Sabres fans act when in OUR HOUSE!!! You all would be ticked as all get out if we went to HSBC and knocked seats off their bases, threw stuff, insulted your very way of life. But our fans don't tend to do that. We all have our select few who have a few too many, and act like idiots, but don't tell me my child sucks genitalia as you realize your team has been eliminated from the playoffs. There is a reason I would not allow my mom to walk to the care alone last night. I was here for Game 7 in 06 and will not attend a Buffalo game alone.

Sorry, to do this across multiple posts. I felt my first post was necessary to quickly defend myself from that accusation.

I take a bit of umbrage at your indication that you did nothing wrong. Take note of the fact that one, you were wearing opposing colors.

I refer to my original argument. I paid for the ticket, why should wearing an opposing team's colors be cause for me to be asked to sit down and a National Hockey League game???

I was assaulted in my own arena by a Buffalo fan. I am a 5'3" woman and this "gentleman" was close to 6 ft and chose to knock me to the ground from behind

Also caniac2630 if I was there and saw u or any woman get pushed down by a drunk u can bet that me and my buddies would beat the u know what out that slug fan.

You can imagine my outrage as to this, especially considering my sister (who is 5'0") who drove down from Buffalo was the victim of sexual harassment and assault at the hands of your fans. I think its interesting to note that if I had defended her in the same fashion canesfan93420 is suggestion, I would promptly be written off as another unruly slug fan.

Show some class when you come to our house and you will be treated with such.

The point of my argument, no matter how much class I can show at the RBC Center, I will immediately be stereotyped by your fans as a jerk. I'm at a hockey game, I'm not going to be one of those fans that sits the entire game, keeps quiet and doesn't react to the play on the ice. If I'm cheering for my team when they're up 5-0 while maintaining courtesy towards the fans around me, you have no cause to call me expletives, sexually harass my family, or tell me to "sit down and watch the game".

Show your backside and you will see ours.

Unfortunately, I did see it, and it wasn't deserved is the point of my complaint.

actually sabres10 i wouldn't have problem if u defended ur sister, but we canes fans dont assualt women like u coward sabres fans do if u wanna pick a fight pick a fight with someone ur own size buddy. I think ur are exaggerationg ur circumstances also. Also there is a big difference between being harrassed and having things yelled at u then actually being physically assualted.