The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Playoff picture discussion thread (standings on first page)

I appreciate the feedback! It appears that you guys have found it useful for the past two seasons, so, back by popular demand...

http://heelsrule1988.tripod.com/2009nhlplayoffrace.htm

Just finished it. Each night, I will update it after the final game of the night has concluded. As I said before, I should be able to update it every night for now, but I will try to keep you all posted if something comes up and I can't for some reason. As I do every season, I ask that a moderator pin this so my page can be easily found for reference, and so it can also be used as a general playoff race discussion thread. Thanks! :)

After last nites game (Sens) we could have made some nice forward progress but we chose to stay in Neutral. This team for some reason loses games that they shouldn't and at terrible times. We could have really made a big move this week with a win against the Sens and then by following it up by beating the Sabres at home on Thursday nite. I'm not sure what effect the game againt the Sens will have on our playoff hunt but it definetly didn't get us going in the right direction. Not only did we lose but we looked like a team that is losing confidence and that is not a good thing at this time of the year.If we would have at least made a game of it in the last 2 periods i would have alot more confidence going into Thursdays game againt the Sabres. This last week of Feb/09 could make or break the season for us.

Sabres lost last nite

Kitty;s lost last nite

The Canes should try and do whatever they can to get the two points tomorrow, and break the barrier and get into those playoffs! Against a backup goalie of Lalime, we should do well (Knock on wood...) but we can't even get a little bit cocky as it's destroyed us before and I really don't want to see it destroy us again. Boston is going to be a hard team to beat come playoff time though, hopefully we try and move even higher up as well, I don't like our chances...

We need to make a move. Much debated, but if this is really a make or break year we need to be buyers before the deadline. Ironically, we need help at the forward position. We cannot try to wait it out until Williams returns. Although he was looking better right before the injury, counting on him is not a plan. We need a scoring forward. Could be a playmaker, though it seems that we really need someone who can find the net.

The team as structured could go on a run, but it is not likely. We have been a .500 team all year, there is no reason that this will change with no change in the team. Thus with no move it is a coin flip. That has failed for two years. I really think most of us would hate 9th place far more than just riding down to a top pick.

The thing that also supports a move now is the odds. I know that the stats sight has us just under 50% chance of making it, but right now there are 5 spots and 7 teams with a serious shot at those 5 spots. It's not like there are 6 teams that have moved from the pack and we are one of 5 teams going for 2 spots. 71% of the teams in contention will make the playoffs.

Picking up Weight and Recci was not coincidental to our run to the cup. Jokinen is not Sampsonov of last year. I know we don't want to mortgage the future, but if playoffs are so crucial this year then a move must be made.

IMO Jokkinen has been a good addition to the team. I was disappointed that we lost last night but the effort was there. We got caught cheating (as Forslund put it) to try to create offense. Ottawa is playing much better and their goaltender stood on his head. Tomorrow nights game is huge for us and if anyone takes the slugs lightly without Miller and Vanek it will be a mistake. We need this game especially with it being a 4 point swing. I think we have as good a shot at the playoffs as anyone in our bunched up group. We just have to bring the intensity every night. Some consistency from Cam would help too.

We need to make a move. Much debated, but if this is really a make or break year we need to be buyers before the deadline. Ironically, we need help at the forward position. We cannot try to wait it out until Williams returns. Although he was looking better right before the injury, counting on him is not a plan. We need a scoring forward. Could be a playmaker, though it seems that we really need someone who can find the net.

The team as structured could go on a run, but it is not likely. We have been a .500 team all year, there is no reason that this will change with no change in the team. Thus with no move it is a coin flip. That has failed for two years. I really think most of us would hate 9th place far more than just riding down to a top pick.

The thing that also supports a move now is the odds. I know that the stats sight has us just under 50% chance of making it, but right now there are 5 spots and 7 teams with a serious shot at those 5 spots. It's not like there are 6 teams that have moved from the pack and we are one of 5 teams going for 2 spots. 71% of the teams in contention will make the playoffs.

Picking up Weight and Recci was not coincidental to our run to the cup. Jokinen is not Sampsonov of last year. I know we don't want to mortgage the future, but if playoffs are so crucial this year then a move must be made.

I know he is signed for like a zillion years but Oli Joikinen (is he is cousin or brother) would be a great pickup for us.

He always killed us when in Fla.

Heck I would take a Keith Tkachuck at the right price as he would add grit and help out on the power play.

Must do someting and not sit around and hope to get get better by osmosis

The Canes should try and do whatever they can to get the two points tomorrow, and break the barrier and get into those playoffs! Against a backup goalie of Lalime, we should do well (Knock on wood...) but we can't even get a little bit cocky as it's destroyed us before and I really don't want to see it destroy us again. Boston is going to be a hard team to beat come playoff time though, hopefully we try and move even higher up as well, I don't like our chances...

I watched some of the Buffalo game vs Anaheim and Lalime looked shaky at best. We must score first and

take the play to the Slugs who are wounded but as we know a wounded animal can be scary. As much as I hate him, Ruff is a excellent coach and does motivate well.

I watched some of the Buffalo game vs Anaheim and Lalime looked shaky at best. We must score first and

take the play to the Slugs who are wounded but as we know a wounded animal can be scary. As much as I hate him, Ruff is a excellent coach and does motivate well.

Yeah, it comes down to who the Canes are against the Sabres. If we are the win - hungry, dangerous team that we were against Colorado, we'll score well, lots. If we are the lazy, soft team that we were against Ottawa, we'll lose no matter the goalie! Like at this point, I don't care who we're facing in net, I just care about what team comes to the rink!

good points remkin, as mentioned after sens game, think vermette would fit perfect into our system..thoughts?

I've like watching Vermette in the past. He is fast and skilled. His production is down consideralby this year, but he has been a 20 goal scorer the three seasons before this year. Certainly an upgrade on the 3rd line. I don't know what he would cost though.

Another thing is this. If JR makes a move, it will at least look like the ownership is trying to win. That may count for something with the fans even if we miss. Clock is ticking though.

As a public service, around this time every year, I always like to post a link to this really cool website . It pretty much tells you all you need to know about the playoff situation, from a numbers perspective. In the past, this site has proven to be a little, um, intimidating for some folks. So, I'll break it down a little for you.

- At the moment, we have a 53.3% chance of making the playoffs. The best we could do is 5th seed (4% chance). We have a 22% of being the 8th seed.

- Lately (last 10 games anyway) we've been tracking at a 60% win percentage. At that rate, we close the season 11-7-1, which would put us at 94.3% of making the playoffs

If you click on the Hurricanes link, you will see details, like who to root for on a given night. For example, tonight you would want to root for Chicago over Penguins (to increase our odds by 1.8 and Philly over Montreal (to increase our odds by .6) The win last night increased our odds by 9.4 (it was 43.9%.)

I'm a fan of numbers so I eat this stuff up. If it's not your thing and prefer to just wait and see what happens, this isn't for you.

I think its interesting they have the Penguins, at a point behind us, as in the playoffs but the Rangers who are 6th place as out of the playoffs. I dont disagree with that, since the Rangers are pretty much self-destructing right now and the Pens are steamrolling people, but still kinda cool that thats how their formula has it playing out. Granted they have the Cane on the outside looking in, and I think we will get in so, who drops out to make room for us and the Pens I dont know.. maybe Montreal? They had a big win last night, but are still 4-5-1 in their last 10 including a 4 game losing streak.

I think its also interesting that tonight it would seem like everyone is in a must win situation, since their win helps their playoff chances, but their loss helps EVERYONE else's playoff chances. For example, our win against Atlanta helps us, but if we lose we give hope to the Pens. Florida loss helps us, Buffalo loss helps us... kinda neat to have a % to go along with the win/loss trends we're talking about in the Out Of Town Scores thread.

Neat site.

That's weird... maybe it has something to do with the fact that I made it in Word. I'm not sure why else it would be rated dangerous. :(

I notice this hasn't been pinned yet... was my request up there not seen, or was it decided this should not be up top? If not, that's okay... I just thought it would be a useful thing to have up top since we're in playoff race time.

Look, lets face it. The Canes are not going to make the playoffs. The Rangers got themselves a new coach and are likely bringing back Avery. It will be just enough to keep them afloat. The Canadiens are actively trading to improve their team. They will get in. Same with the Pens. It will be between them and the Sabres. The Panthers are in. Canes are on the golf course this April.

Look, lets face it. The Canes are not going to make the playoffs. The Rangers got themselves a new coach and are likely bringing back Avery. It will be just enough to keep them afloat. The Canadiens are actively trading to improve their team. They will get in. Same with the Pens. It will be between them and the Sabres. The Panthers are in. Canes are on the golf course this April.

I'm sure they can't play Golf either.

i justlove the guys that come in here to JUST to whine when we lose... really irks the u know what out of me.. ima canes fan win or lose, since the hartford days, do i say screw it when they lose, yes, im human, , when they arent winning a game ,, when things go wrong , but im back the next game, and im learning finally at 52, to acept what happens especially if its a negative result.. personally alvona, ur negative pictures offends me..jmo dinz

i justlove the guys that come in here to JUST to whine when we lose... really irks the u know what out of me.. ima canes fan win or lose, since the hartford days, do i say screw it when they lose, yes, im human, , when they arent winning a game ,, when things go wrong , but im back the next game, and im learning finally at 52, to acept what happens especially if its a negative result.. personally alvona, ur negative pictures offends me..jmo dinz

Thats what this is for. To voice your opinion and vent also. Sorry if you don't like it.

I think we will know really quick about our playoff chances after we play this week of games. This week might as well be the playoffs for us. Only one of the games at home.

Mon Mar 9, 2009 Rangers Hurricanes 72 points

Wed Mar 11, 2009 Hurricanes Blackhawks 77 points

Thu Mar 12, 2009 Hurricanes Stars 65 points (Dallas playing much better the second half of the year)

Sat Mar 14, 2009 Hurricanes Capitals 85 points

I think the Canes have to get real - a true playoff team doesn't give up 4 goals in decisive period to a team below them in the standings. The Canes have been inconsistant for 3 years now, lacking the ability to finish...either they make deadline moves to improve the "heart" of the team with those who know how to get it done or rebuild for the future to get off the bubble...to stand pat is not a real option....not if they want folks to pay good money to renew for next season. I have been part of a group who shares seasons tickets since the Canes first came to Raleigh. One of our members (of 3) have already dropped, and the two of us left are rethinking our commitment - last night's game was just about the nail in the coffin I'm quite sorry to say.... :(