The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Playoff picture discussion thread (standings on first page)

Canes making it is my only hope really.

Panthers I would sort of like to see make it, only to make our division seem less weak, tampa Bay and atlanta will be weak for the next few years.

Sabres i don't care to see make it cause I don't think they are tough challenge for anyone at the moment in a 7-game series, but i highly doubt they ge tin anyways.

I also never liked Anaheim, and I hope they miss the playoffs, and then people can start calling them a fluke, etc cause they won the cup in 2007 and everyone thought they were gonna be elite for years to come.

I got faith in the canes beating anyone in a 7-game series at this point, but if i could choose one team not to face it would be the Flyers, I just think that team is too physical for us at times,

3 straight years of not making the playoffs after winning the CUP should be terms for a complete rebuild and refocus! Hopefully we are back on track and make a good push with all the home games we have in the end of the season! Plus its way to much time when we don't make the playoffs with no Hockey to talk about til the new season starts!

My question is, if we get into the playoffs, who do you want to face in the first round? I wouldn't mind Flyers or Caps. We have a good record against these teams. Too bad we couldn't somehow face the Habs.

My question is, if we get into the playoffs, who do you want to face in the first round? I wouldn't mind Flyers or Caps. We have a good record against these teams. Too bad we couldn't somehow face the Habs.

All I know is who it mostly likely won't be in ANY round - the Slugs. Could make the last home game all that much more fun, if we have already clinched and the Slugs already eliminated.

i wouldnt mind flyers or caps.. love to play caps, like our chances

I'm not as confident They would have home ice and they play MUCH better at home.

whoever the cane's face they can beat if there confidence and chemistry keeps rolling.... oh yeah and Wardo keeps it up. The only team that really worries me is Boston and we played well against them, just couldn't beat em.

Looking at our last 3 games against the Caps, 5-2 blowout, 5-4 nailbiting SO loss, and 4-1 blowout.. I want to see the Caps. Sure they may win a couple games at home, but we would surely give them a run in a 7 game series.

I think we would fare well also against Boston (but hopefully we wont be 8th when its all said and done).. we've lost all our games against boston (i think) but they have been close 2-1, 3-2 games, earlier in the season when they were blowing teams out 10-2, and now that they are struggling? Bring em on.

I dont particularly care to face NJ, even though we did beat them a couple nights ago.. Brodeur is just too strong. Theo is struggling, Thomas I dont know about and Philly I think has some goalkeeping issues, but Brodeur is solid.

The 5/4 matchup with Philly would be great, but I think Pittsburgh has that locked up... That's gonna be an awesome series... Physical hard hitting flyers against the whiney crybaby Penguins.. put crosby on his butt and watch him cry.

Could make the last home game all that much more fun, if we have already clinched and the Slugs already eliminated.

Would make it sweeter if the Canes makes their playoff chances go belly-up

In my opinion (which is probably flawed), here are our chances against various EC teams in the playoffs:

Boston: 35%

Montreal: 80%

NY Rangers: 65%

New Jersey: 65%

Washington: 65%

Philadelphia: 30%

Pittsburgh: 25%

Florida: 55%

Buffalo: 55%

BTW I think I may have to eat crow regarding my earlier comments vis-a-vis the Rangers. I still see them self-destructing at some point though, even if it's in the playoffs.

I still say it will be interesting down the stretch for FLA. It has been much easier for them this time of year the past few seasons, playing the spoiler instead of fighting for the playoff spot when the pressure keeps mounting game after game. No experience at this for them. We'll see how it pans out for them, but every time we win, the pressure mounts even more. I'm glad we ratcheted it up another notch last night.

The Panthers have derailed. We have the opportunity for the Coup De Grace on Monday. I hope we see it through. Revenge is sweet.

Iceslater rules... http://forums.floridapanthers.com/index.php?showtopic=6079' target="_blank">Playoff thread in FLA[/post]

This sums up the opinion of Caps fans at their board:

"I'm not a Canes fan, I'm a Caps fan. Right now, the Caps don't have it. Carolina is looking better at the end of the year because they made some changes. Caps cannot match up with Carolina in a 7 game series. Sadly, it wouldn't even be close."

I would not count Fl out yet. Mondays game will be tough. They have always played us tough so we will need our A game again. I hope we don't have a let down after the effort used to beat the Craps. I won't believe we are going to the playoffs for sure until I see that clinched symbol next to us in the standings. We can't afford to let up one little bit. I love the way we are playing. If we can get in who knows what can happen.

I would not count Fl out yet. Mondays game will be tough. They have always played us tough so we will need our A game again. I hope we don't have a let down after the effort used to beat the Craps. I won't believe we are going to the playoffs for sure until I see that clinched symbol next to us in the standings. We can't afford to let up one little bit. I love the way we are playing. If we can get in who knows what can happen.

Counting out FLA would be outright stupid. We can't let up for one second. However, they are in freefall, they are 2-4-2 in their last 8. The opportunity to essentially finish them is there. Teams playing the way they are at the crucial point of the season are in trouble. Teams playing the way the Canes are at this point of the season not only make the playoffs, but have the opportunity to make some noise there.

This sums up the opinion of Caps fans at their board:

"I'm not a Canes fan, I'm a Caps fan. Right now, the Caps don't have it. Carolina is looking better at the end of the year because they made some changes. Caps cannot match up with Carolina in a 7 game series. Sadly, it wouldn't even be close."

This guy is probably right - the only thing that concerns me about the Caps is they have three players that can just take over a game in Semin, Ovie and Green. The 'Canes don't really seem to have that right now - but few teams do.

The sens game will be TOUGH. I watched them play the Rangers tonight, and they played aggressive smart hockey. You can see their will to win. They see the Habs chocking and see that they can maybe grab 8th spot. We will have to have our A+ game on for Wednesday.

With the way the schedule works out, the Canes need to keep the pedal to the floor.

Playoff Breakdown for Week March 23rd - 28th.

The Flyers(#4) play the Devils, Panthers, @Islanders.

The Penguins(#5) play the Flames, Rangers and don't play again til they play the Devils on April 1st.

The Canes(#6) play @ Panthers, Senators, @ Devils and don't play again til they play the Rangers on April 2nd.

The Rangers(#7) play the Wild, @ Thrashers, @ Penguins.

The Canadiens(#8) play the Thrashers, Lightning, Sabres.

The Panthers(#9) play Hurricanes, @ Sabres, @ Flyers, @Stars.

The Sabres(#10) play Panthers, Leafs, @ Canadiens.

5th place... oh man! Things are looking good right now. This team seems destined to do the opposite of last season and actually finish the job and get into the playoffs. I'm quite excited about the final few weeks.