The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Playoff picture discussion thread (standings on first page)

I thought that this win vs. Florida would have been the big one, but it was the win vs. Washington that catapulted our chances of making the playoffs to 90%. The Florida win did up it to >91%. It would take a collapse to keep us out now and this team isn't going to do that. Just an amazing run of hockey.

5th place... oh man! Things are looking good right now. This team seems destined to do the opposite of last season and actually finish the job and get into the playoffs. I'm quite excited about the final few weeks.
Me too!

I won't rest easy until we actually make it. Our next four games are against teams that are just as hot as we are: Ottawa, NJ, NYR, and PIT. I think these four games will determine our playoff chances. Going 2-2, particularly winning against NYR and PIT should do the trick. After that, NYI and BUF should be a lighter load. Finally, since NJ is in for sure, they might not risk injury on our last game of the season.

It's a bit different this year cause there are not hot teams like the caps on our tail, the teams on our tail are struggling big time.

Florida has a tough couple of games coming up, Habs are struggling and sabres are practically done, I won't get ahead of myself, but yea it would take quite a losing streak to choke this time around.

If the Canes can manage to get 4 out of 6 point sin the next 3, I think they are pretty much in......however easier said than done, sens give us problems

I'm with Bing Chow, I'm not resting easy either and I hope the team realizes how tough our remaining games are going to be. True, we've been looking good lately, and true last night's win was big, but we did allow Florida a point. Tomorrow night against Ottawa is going to be a big test, probably even bigger than the last two games.

I'm happy with the team now, but still won't rest easy until we clinch a playoff berth.

at least we will know where we stand by the end of the month...

FLA and the Canes will have played the same number of games by the first of April

here is hoping for some FLA losses ^_^

The Canes still need to play playoff-bound teams in the form of the Pens, Rags, and Devils (2 X in their barn) along with a hot Sens team. The only "gimmie" games are vs Ilse and vs the Slugs and they would love to knock us out of the playoffs. Don't need to sweep. but need at least a 3-3-1 record to clinch a berth. In many ways a pre-playoff playoff in that four regulation losses and it is golf course time.

The Canes still need to play playoff-bound teams in the form of the Pens, Rags, and Devils (2 X in their barn) along with a hot Sens team. The only "gimmie" games are vs Ilse and vs the Slugs and they would love to knock us out of the playoffs. Don't need to sweep. but need at least a 3-3-1 record to clinch a berth. In many ways a pre-playoff playoff in that four regulation losses and it is golf course time.

Don't count on the isles as a "gimmie" we only just got our act together in time on the last meeting :o

Look, lets face it. The Canes are not going to make the playoffs. The Rangers got themselves a new coach and are likely bringing back Avery. It will be just enough to keep them afloat. The Canadiens are actively trading to improve their team. They will get in. Same with the Pens. It will be between them and the Sabres. The Panthers are in. Canes are on the golf course this April.

not very good predictions so far. would you like to change your thoughts :P

What still worries me is the *games in hand* factor. We're playing great and winning consistently, but the teams on our heels all have games in hand and have been winning just enough to keep us from truly distancing ourselves from the teams below us. I'll feel better once the games played is a bit more equal.

Also, how is it that once again we're at a critical time in the season and have played the most games of any team in the league? I know some things the league does for a reason (the long start the season road trip to coincide with the state fair--really wish they'd just move the state fair a bit earlier (Aug or Sept), which is when every other place I've ever lived had it) but just why do they schedule us for more games than any other team? Other teams have had 4 or 5 games in hand at certain point in the season in relation to us and most still have at least 2.

What still worries me is the *games in hand* factor. We're playing great and winning consistently, but the teams on our heels all have games in hand and have been winning just enough to keep us from truly distancing ourselves from the teams below us. I'll feel better once the games played is a bit more equal.

Also, how is it that once again we're at a critical time in the season and have played the most games of any team in the league? I know some things the league does for a reason (the long start the season road trip to coincide with the state fair--really wish they'd just move the state fair a bit earlier (Aug or Sept), which is when every other place I've ever lived had it) but just why do they schedule us for more games than any other team? Other teams have had 4 or 5 games in hand at certain point in the season in relation to us and most still have at least 2.

I don't think this is so much of a factor anymore, especially since we have won our last 4 games in a row. Pittsburgh and NYR are both 1 point behind with 1 game in hand each. So they can both leapfrog us, but only drop us to 7th. Montreal is 4 points back with 2 games in hand. They can tie us, but not over take us. As long as we keep winning the games in hand dont mean much. If we lose tonight, and they win, they can leapfrog us, but if we win we stay ahead regardless.

Florida is 6 points back with 2 games in hand, so they need help from us to catch us.

I'm not saying that we can't drop out, but we've have to hit a bad patch of 4 losses in a row or something like that. Could happen, but this team is playing great right now. If we win at Ottawa tonight, the teams not playing tonight gain a "game in hand" but we give them more points they have to make up.

As far as moving the Fair.. since they've had it in October for only 100 years or so, I doubt that will happen.. ;)

5th place... oh man! Things are looking good right now. This team seems destined to do the opposite of last season and actually finish the job and get into the playoffs. I'm quite excited about the final few weeks.

It's not over yet but I'm loving it cause not so long ago I though the fat lady was starting to warm to up.

Perhaps the fat lady is not singing yet, but she has walked out to center stage and the orchestra has begun playing the intro. Our chances of making the playoffs are now around 19/20. What a run. And we are beating the best and hottest teams. No one wants to play the Hurricanes.

The Canes need to garner 5 points in 6 games to get into the playoffs. Baring a complete collapse, or Cam Ward being kidnapped by space aliens, we should have playoff hockey in the Spring,

or Cam Ward being kidnapped by space aliens,

stranger things have happened. :huh:

I won't celebrate until I see a X next to the canes for locked playoff spot.

Yeah, 5 points would pretty much seal the deal. Until we get the 5 points though, hope for the best and try not to do anything that'll jinx the team.

Come on Froggy, take the tank avatar off. It's way too late for that to work, you might as well jump on the bandwagon instead.

I hope this excitement I feel for this team isn't gonna be wasted. We are playing awesome right now, but theres always time to slip up. Just keep our heads down and barrel through the rest of this season, and hope to come out on top. Come on Canes, push through and get us to the post season!

Look, lets face it. The Canes are not going to make the playoffs. The Rangers got themselves a new coach and are likely bringing back Avery. It will be just enough to keep them afloat. The Canadiens are actively trading to improve their team. They will get in. Same with the Pens. It will be between them and the Sabres. The Panthers are in. Canes are on the golf course this April.

Ooooops. :blink:

Ooooops. :blink:

Exactly. This is why you don't judge a team based on one game. That Atlanta game was bad...but they had just won 4 of the last 5, and have gone 9-1-2 since. Tearing your hair out over that one looks pretty silly now, eh? ;)

As weird as it may seem, I think the tough schedule to close out the season may be an advantage to this team, keeps them focused, they cant have the mentality that theyre playing teams that they may be able to beat without playing a full 60. I think forslund said it, this team is battle tested.

As weird as it may seem, I think the tough schedule to close out the season may be an advantage to this team, keeps them focused, they cant have the mentality that theyre playing teams that they may be able to beat without playing a full 60. I think forslund said it, this team is battle tested.

Good point. As we play (and beat) the best and hottest teams in the league, we are fine tuned for playoff hockey. This is no longer a "squeek in and get crushed by the Bruins" scenario. This team is a legitimate contender now. No one wants to play the Hurricanes. Amazing.

I think i'm gonna write a thank you letter to the Thrashers, they have reall helped make this layoff run a bit less stressful