The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Playoff picture discussion thread (standings on first page)

So at this point we would be playing the Flyers. I think they would be our most difficult matchup other than the Bruins. Given the physical style they play even if we got out of the series with them you would have to think it would be a physical exhaustive series and there would be some bumps and bruises at the end. At this point should we throttle back and rest going into the playoffs; drop down to 6 or 7th seed and end up getting New Jersey or Washington?

I dont want to play Philly or Pitt at all. I wouldnt mind NJ cuz we play them well, or Washington. However, if we can retain home ice, then I dont care who we face, that slightly evens out the odds. So either Home ice, or NJ or Washington.

Whoever we get, it isn't going to be a cakewalk. But yes, I would love for us to hold on to that #4 spot. The home ice has worked well for us

What's that X beside our name? That's right... WE ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS, BABY! :D

What a way to do it, too! I recorded the last two periods and watched them after the Carolina game. Nothing better than an OT win to clinch a playoff berth. This team is looking magical right now... I can't wait for the playoffs!

I love it how different players take turns getting hot. Right now it's Babs and Rosie. We'll need that type of contribution if we are to go deep in the playoffs.

Who's Barn were we in last night??? Caniacs were crushing loud but where did all those Pens fans come from?? Locally??? That would be a shame. Middle of the 3rd... someone actually told me to SIT DOWN!! I told her the only thing going down.....wuz the Penns!! NEXT....

Who's Barn were we in last night??? Caniacs were crushing loud but where did all those Pens fans come from?? Locally??? That would be a shame. Middle of the 3rd... someone actually told me to SIT DOWN!! I told her the only thing going down.....wuz the Penns!! NEXT....

most of those Pens fans were transplants who'll be cheering for the Canes at the next game - old habits (even bad ones) die hard :lol:

actually, it's rude to be standing when the puck is in play (unless everyone is standing)

Definitely want home ice. Definitely don't want the Bruins first. Definitely can beat anyone anywhere. The fear of playing a particular team clearly lies with whoever gets matched up with us.

Oh, and who'd of thought we'd be the 4th team to clinch in the East?

I mentioned this in the out of town scores, but in a condensed version... the teams we could meet in the first round are New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Washington and Philly. I think I mentioned Boston, but we wont drop that far down. And its unlikely we will match up against either the Rangers or Habs who are below us.

Since the beginning of April we have played against every team in the playoffs (except Philly) and we have beaten them all. NJ twice, Washington twice (2 out of last 3), Pittsburgh last night, and wins against teams below us like Montreal, Rangers and Ottawa. Our last game against Philly was december 11th and we lost 6-5 in OT. That lack of play and Philly's recent hot play makes me think they are our worst matchup. Not to say we can't beat them, just not a favorable matchup. New Jersey has struggled and we have beaten them twice recently (once on the road).

I think Philly and Pittsburgh are probably our most likely first round opponents (since we are all circling around the 4/5/6 spots).. if we drop to 6 I think we will face New Jersey, since I believe washington has pulled ahead of them.

I'm just glad that we clinched before the last game, even though we only have 3 left, and also that we werent sitting in 8th like last year, and wishing on people to lose, and then getting knocked out when they won. Even if we lose the next three, we are still in.. and would probably only drop down to 7th.

Once the playoffs start ANYTHING can happen!!

This has absolutly nothing to do with this thread but since everyone is reading it can someone tell me how close Campbell university is to the RBC center????Sorry for posting in here...

This has absolutly nothing to do with this thread but since everyone is reading it can someone tell me how close Campbell university is to the RBC center????Sorry for posting in here...

Within an hour of driving to Raleigh.

After watching the Canes over the past 20 games or so, I am convinced they have a better than average chance against any team in the eastern conference except Boston. The fact that the Canes have made the playoffs this year is rather impressive given the roler coaster the team has been on. What is even more impressive, however, the way they did it; 8 wins in a row and 11 straight wins at home. Many of those wins against strong teams and several come from behind.

It's easier to figure out when there are just a few games left.

Win 2, and we are 99% in the #5 position. The only team that could catch us is Montreal who would have to go 4-0. Not likely.

Win 3 and we are no worse than #5.. we'd rise to #4 if Philly goes 3-1-0 or worse. They have desperate FLA once and the desperate Rangers twice, so they may stumble.

What a week of hockey to watch!

I was just ruminating(it is buffalo) about the game. Would it not be the BEST if we were the team to officially eliminate them.

Hopefully it will happen before Thursday but we can always hope.

I'm starting to get a pretty good feeling about the potential for home ice. I think it's very doable for us to win out. We're playing 3 teams who, hopefully by the time we play them, have nothing to really play for. With any luck, the Slugs will be making tee times by Thurs and the Crapitals will have the 2nd seed locked up by Sat. Then we would only need the Flyers to lose one of their 4, with 3 their games against desperate teams (Rangers twice and Panthers). I like the odds.

I'm starting to get a pretty good feeling about the potential for home ice. I think it's very doable for us to win out. We're playing 3 teams who, hopefully by the time we play them, have nothing to really play for. With any luck, the Slugs will be making tee times by Thurs and the Crapitals will have the 2nd seed locked up by Sat. Then we would only need the Flyers to lose one of their 4, with 3 their games against desperate teams (Rangers twice and Panthers). I like the odds.

The only thing I worry about is the road game against NJ... sure there's been talk that Leighton and Weekes will play to rest up Ward and Brodeur for the playoffs, but it will still be a tough game. Like us lately NJ can score in bunches and dont just rely on the "Winningest Goaltender of all Time"...

The isles and sabres game are very winnable.. not that they will be easy but winnable.. Isles have nothing play for, and we get to play spoiler on Buffalo.. if we beat them they are eliminated from the playoffs (provided the rangers and panthers also win that night).

The only thing I worry about is the road game against NJ... sure there's been talk that Leighton and Weekes will play to rest up Ward and Brodeur for the playoffs, but it will still be a tough game. Like us lately NJ can score in bunches and dont just rely on the "Winningest Goaltender of all Time"...

It won't be Weekes. He's out 2-3 weeks with a lower-body injury. If it's not Brodeur, it will be Scott Clemmensen.

So we're currently tied with Philly for 97 pts (they have 1 game in hand). What really grinds my gears is the one game we all should remember where we had a 5-1 lead going into the 3rd and lost in the Shootout. If we had just won that game like we were supposed to we would have 98 pts, and they would have 95 pts. Plus we would have several more wins than them (which we already do) and we probably would've already locked up home ice in the playoffs. Just something to think about, if we end up losing in a game 7 in the first round.

So we're currently tied with Philly for 97 pts (they have 1 game in hand). What really grinds my gears is the one game we all should remember where we had a 5-1 lead going into the 3rd and lost in the Shootout. If we had just won that game like we were supposed to we would have 98 pts, and they would have 95 pts. Plus we would have several more wins than them (which we already do) and we probably would've already locked up home ice in the playoffs. Just something to think about, if we end up losing in a game 7 in the first round.

What's done is done. Time to move on. Playoffs dead ahead! Just win baby!