The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Playoff picture discussion thread (standings on first page)

So we're currently tied with Philly for 97 pts (they have 1 game in hand). What really grinds my gears is the one game we all should remember where we had a 5-1 lead going into the 3rd and lost in the Shootout. If we had just won that game like we were supposed to we would have 98 pts, and they would have 95 pts. Plus we would have several more wins than them (which we already do) and we probably would've already locked up home ice in the playoffs. Just something to think about, if we end up losing in a game 7 in the first round.

Excellent point.

Now we need Philly to drop at least two points in three games. As opposed to only having to get one point in our final two. Who knew at the time how pivotal THAT debacle would be?

So we're currently tied with Philly for 97 pts (they have 1 game in hand). What really grinds my gears is the one game we all should remember where we had a 5-1 lead going into the 3rd and lost in the Shootout. If we had just won that game like we were supposed to we would have 98 pts, and they would have 95 pts. Plus we would have several more wins than them (which we already do) and we probably would've already locked up home ice in the playoffs. Just something to think about, if we end up losing in a game 7 in the first round.

Yea we should have never lost that game, but if I recall at that time we 4 out of 6 defence that came up from Albany with a total of 18 NHL games experience between them. Our guys were either hurt or that dreaded flu bug.

We are much better off now, I watched alot of their games, and Phila D and Goalies are both suspect, they will need to clamp down on turnovers in their zone and the nuertal zone. They go for the long breakaway pass which has worked, and done well on their penalty kill as they lead the league in shorties, but with a good backchecking and forechecking team that we have could be trouble for them now, They also need tone down their penalty time or this may also cost them.

Can't look to far back in the rear view mirror, just got to play the new CANES HOCKEY

GO CANES !!!!

It won't be Weekes. He's out 2-3 weeks with a lower-body injury. If it's not Brodeur, it will be Scott Clemmensen.

Why does everyone take everything literally word for word? "Weekes and Leighton" means BACKUPS. I didnt know Weekes was injuried and being as I'm not a Jersey fan I wouldnt think to look. I knew Weekes was the backup cause Clemmenson got sent back to the minors as he was NA when I dropped him from my fantasy team.

The way stuff's going lately Cam will probably still play, so it doesnt really matter anyway. With Weekes out I would assume Broduer will also play.

Why does everyone take everything literally word for word? "Weekes and Leighton" means BACKUPS. I didnt know Weekes was injuried and being as I'm not a Jersey fan I wouldnt think to look. I knew Weekes was the backup cause Clemmenson got sent back to the minors as he was NA when I dropped him from my fantasy team.

The way stuff's going lately Cam will probably still play, so it doesnt really matter anyway. With Weekes out I would assume Broduer will also play.

Just passing on information. Thought someone may care. Guess not.

Either way, it's likely Jersey's playoff seeding will be set come Saturday. If they drop a point, or the Caps get a point, in their next games - Washington's the 2 and Jersey's the 3.

My guess is we get Clemmensen - which I won't complain about. I see no reason we don't play Ward unless we lose tonight and we're locked out of 4th.

Either way, it's likely Jersey's playoff seeding will be set come Saturday. If they drop a point, or the Caps get a point, in their next games - Washington's the 2 and Jersey's the 3.

My guess is we get Clemmensen - which I won't complain about. I see no reason we don't play Ward unless we lose tonight and we're locked out of 4th.

Oh gosh, I'm PRAYING we see Clemmensen - not only do we need the home ice, but I'm actually flying up to NJ with a friend of mine (Devils fan) to see the game. I've never seen the 'Canes on the road before, so it should be a blast.

For everyone's perusal, we get home ice if we beat the Devils and Philly gets no more than two points in their final two games. They'll probably beat the Islanders, so we'll likely have to hope they lose to the Rangers in regulation. If this happens, who we play first round (PIT or PHI) will depend on what the Penguins do.

A win against the Devils guarantees us no worse than fifth, as the Penguins will not be able to catch us mathematically.

If we lose to the Devils in regulation, we can only get home ice if both the Flyers and Pens both lose all their remaining games (2 for PHI and 1 for PIT) in regulation. Pittsburgh's finale is against Montreal. If this scenario were to work out, we'd play Pittsburgh first round (based on Pittsburgh having more wins than Philly).

If we lose to the Devils in OT, we can still get home ice with a loss (regulation or overtime) by Pittsburgh and the Flyers getting no more than one point in their final two games.

A loss to the Devils plus any more points garnered by both Philly AND Pittsburgh results in us falling to sixth, meaning we'd play New Jersey in the first round.

Look, lets face it. The Canes are not going to make the playoffs. The Rangers got themselves a new coach and are likely bringing back Avery. It will be just enough to keep them afloat. The Canadiens are actively trading to improve their team. They will get in. Same with the Pens. It will be between them and the Sabres. The Panthers are in. Canes are on the golf course this April.

Isn't it nice to be wrong :P;)

Hey this is a little OT but have those of you who aren't STH bought your playoff tickets yet? I'm determined to go but I wanted to try and hold off until I knew for sure which game to buy for. It's looking like Game 3 will be the first at the RBC but I must be slow or something and can't figure out what the options mean for the playoff tickets. Will Game C be Game 3? Or is Game A the potential game 1 at the RBC, some help would be appreciated.

Of course the last time I went to the first game in a playoff series at the RBC we got slaughtered 6-1 by the Canadiens, I hope the 3 1/2 hour drive will be for a better turn out this time :D

Will Game C be Game 3? Or is Game A the potential game 1 at the RBC, some help would be appreciated.

I believe the Canes front office was assuming the Canes would have home ice and Game A would be game 1 at the RBC, Mostly likely this will not be the case and the third game in the series will be the first game at the RBC. This will depend on if the series starts on the 15th or the 16th..

I purchased tickets before last nights game... The guy at the box office explained it this way... They have tickets for A B C ... That is game A being the first game played at the RBC center if we do not have home ice then that would be game 3 of the series since the first 2 would be played away. B -will be the second game played at the RBC center but if we do not have home ice then it would be game 4 of the series and so on with game C being game 6 of the 7 game series. Confused? I sure was so I bought 2 seats for game B...lol I figured that was safe... I'm still hoping for home ice which would put game B next Friday or Saturday... I think :huh:

I purchased tickets before last nights game... The guy at the box office explained it this way... They have tickets for A B C ... That is game A being the first game played at the RBC center if we do not have home ice then that would be game 3 of the series since the first 2 would be played away. B -will be the second game played at the RBC center but if we do not have home ice then it would be game 4 of the series and so on with game C being game 6 of the 7 game series. Confused? I sure was so I bought 2 seats for game B...lol I figured that was safe... I'm still hoping for home ice which would put game B next Friday or Saturday... I think :huh:

THis is worse than figuring out the playoff rankings!!

Blues clinch a playoff birth tonight and the pred is eliminated, getting closer to getting our matchups in both conferences.

ducks about 5 minutes from securing a spot as well. 3-2 vs stars.

Blues clinch a playoff birth tonight and the pred is eliminated, getting closer to getting our matchups in both conferences.

ducks about 5 minutes from securing a spot as well. 3-2 vs stars.

Ducks are in. The Blues are a HUGE surprise.

On January 2nd, we beat them 2-1, and Sportsclub Stats had their chances of making the playoffs at that point a 0.7%. They came all the way back to take that spot. What a story.

Just imagine if they had Erik Johnson and Paul Kariya healthy, or maybe the reason they're doing so well is the fact that they are out.

From what I've heard, Kariya will return once the playoffs start.

I'm still hoping for home ice which would put game B next Friday or Saturday... I think

As I understand things the playoffs start next Wednesday and Thursday so if the Canes somehow secure home ice, the first game would be on of those two days.

Can't wait for the playoffs. After we lost Thurs. I was switching between the 1 goal games with playoff implications (thanks to the free CI preview) and it was like a taste of the playoffs. I couldn't settle on one game. I would love to see a Bos/Montreal 1st round matchup. It was good to see St. Louis clinch last night. They worked so hard for it. Its good to see some different teams in it. I'm glad the Wild didn't make it.

Good thing that our game just started and Philadelphia's game starts in an hour... we won't have to wait long to find out whether we will get the #4 seed or not. Let's get home-ice advantage!

EDIT: Just wanted to add that since it's the final weekend, I'm going to try to update the playoff picture as much as possible during the day today and tomorrow. I'll do it after every game if I get the chance.

Soooo looks like it's the Jersey Devils in the first round

I think we can take them, even though we lost today. Leighton let in two stupid goals that shouldn't have even had a chance of going in. Lets hope Wardo is rested up to battle Brodeur again.