The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Playoff picture discussion thread (standings on first page)

Finishing 9th would be THE worst possible thing for this franchise in my opinion. After last night's collapse, I am admittedly a bit downhearted, but it points out the amazing mediocrity that we have been for 3 years now. Most of the league will end up in the playoffs or rebuilding. We remain in limbo. I suppose that being on that cusp would be tolerable if we kept slipping INTO the playoffs, but we keep slipping out.

In the past 2 years JR has been neither a buyer nor a seller. He has played it in the middle, which is oddly where this team stays. This year he must NOT stand pat. Generally it holds that the best moves are small moves or no moves, but this year is different for the Canes. After two post cup years of just missing the playoffs, a third year of the same will cost this team dearly in season ticket sales. The casual fan probably doesn't care, but the committed fan has just about had it with finishing just out of the playoffs. I feel it myself and I sense it on these boards. 9th place spells disaster and that is where this team is clearly heading if no moves are made.

I have my personal theory that the team, and Staal in particular, stopped responding to it's captain some time last year. I don't know what effect this is having with him on the 4th line, one would think less, but still some. A dramatic and controversial move favored by me would be to move Brindy if it could be done in a respectful way. If not, we still need to add scoring punch. So does everyone else, but this is the year to go for it if ever there was one.

We should not mortage the future by giving up draft picks, or top prospects, but we should spend the $$, and or trade non producers with good contracts to teams trying to unload salary (This flies in the face of JR's normal tendencies). Even if we end up busting our budget. If we pick up a proven scoring forward (ideally one with some grit) it will increase our chances of making the playoffs. Further enhancing that would be to lift the Brind'Amour effect (my opinion) on Staal and others by trading him and changing captains or not having one.

But even if these moves don't end up working to make the playoffs the team wins because:

1. Season ticket base sees the willingness to try to win followed by a shake up restructuring and keeps interested

2. The team can undergo radical reshaping offseason with knowledge that the Stanely Cup team was given every chance to recapture the magic but could not.

If JR comes to feel that it is utterly futile even if he adds a player, he could alternatively become a seller. This is a seller's market, so pick up some draft picks and prospects and start cleaning house. This would be better than doing nothing, but would be giving up on a team that still has a decent shot at the playoffs. Still, better than gliding into 9th.

If JR sits on his hands or tries to nibble with a marginal player and we miss the playoffs, that would be the worst case scenario. Please, for the love of season ticket holders: don't do that. Don't just sit there. Do something!!!

Remkin, I agree with you 100%. You are a fan with alot of sense and I'm humble you are on this board. Like you said, we can't be in the middle of things. I've thought that for almost the whole season. Like I said in the GDT, our small market team will slowly die off.

Finishing 9th would be THE worst possible thing for this franchise in my opinion. After last night's collapse, I am admittedly a bit downhearted, but it points out the amazing mediocrity that we have been for 3 years now. Most of the league will end up in the playoffs or rebuilding. We remain in limbo. I suppose that being on that cusp would be tolerable if we kept slipping INTO the playoffs, but we keep slipping out.

In the past 2 years JR has been neither a buyer nor a seller. He has played it in the middle, which is oddly where this team stays. This year he must NOT stand pat. Generally it holds that the best moves are small moves or no moves, but this year is different for the Canes. After two post cup years of just missing the playoffs, a third year of the same will cost this team dearly in season ticket sales. The casual fan probably doesn't care, but the committed fan has just about had it with finishing just out of the playoffs. I feel it myself and I sense it on these boards. 9th place spells disaster and that is where this team is clearly heading if no moves are made.

I have my personal theory that the team, and Staal in particular, stopped responding to it's captain some time last year. I don't know what effect this is having with him on the 4th line, one would think less, but still some. A dramatic and controversial move favored by me would be to move Brindy if it could be done in a respectful way. If not, we still need to add scoring punch. So does everyone else, but this is the year to go for it if ever there was one.

We should not mortage the future by giving up draft picks, or top prospects, but we should spend the $$, and or trade non producers with good contracts to teams trying to unload salary (This flies in the face of JR's normal tendencies). Even if we end up busting our budget. If we pick up a proven scoring forward (ideally one with some grit) it will increase our chances of making the playoffs. Further enhancing that would be to lift the Brind'Amour effect (my opinion) on Staal and others by trading him and changing captains or not having one.

But even if these moves don't end up working to make the playoffs the team wins because:

1. Season ticket base sees the willingness to try to win followed by a shake up restructuring and keeps interested

2. The team can undergo radical reshaping offseason with knowledge that the Stanely Cup team was given every chance to recapture the magic but could not.

If JR comes to feel that it is utterly futile even if he adds a player, he could alternatively become a seller. This is a seller's market, so pick up some draft picks and prospects and start cleaning house. This would be better than doing nothing, but would be giving up on a team that still has a decent shot at the playoffs. Still, better than gliding into 9th.

If JR sits on his hands or tries to nibble with a marginal player and we miss the playoffs, that would be the worst case scenario. Please, for the love of season ticket holders: don't do that. Don't just sit there. Do something!!!

Remkin great post. It is exactly how I feel about things. I am not going to wait for the free agent market in July to see who we land. We are not usually players unless we make a mid level trade. If we don't pick anybody up before the deadline (no Anson Carter pick-ups do not count) and we are still showing our inconsistent play I regrettably will have to cancel my 4 full season tickets. I support this team. I will still go to games with my family but not at the same rate we are now. This economy is causing people to make tough decisions and the Canes are now part of the discussion in our household.

Cons-Price Increase. 30% down to retain. Inconsistent Play. Lack of Quality Offseason Signings. 3 years in the bottom half of the league.Economy. Waiting in parking lines year after year.

Pros- Caniacs at RBC. The occassional hat tricks. Come from behind wins. Shutouts. Beating Buffalo. STH events. 3 stars being all Canes. Tailgating. Winning Shootouts. Wins. Good Fights.

Is change coming? PK show us a sign. If we can not make a move PK no problem. I know you have a business to run and dollars to watch. I am not trying to be negative here. I love this team dearly and want nothing but the best for it. Again, I will still support our Canes but just at a different level.

The Canes have 18 games remaining and if 94 points will get them into the playoffs they will need to finish 12-5-1 to get in; with the brutal schedule and they way they have played this year, I don't see this happening. With the economy not improving and possible tax law changes for businesses in the deductibility of sports events, there could be a significant drop in STHs.

The playoffs are still in the players hands. It remains "win and you are in"; but with each loss the golf course in April becomes more and more likely.

Remkin,

I've never totally accepted your "theory" which you have so eloquently reminded us of over the course of the season as the Brindy hater threads have evolved over time. However, I haven't totally dismissed it either. There does seem to be something going on there. But I do agree with your post 110% that we have fallen into mediocrity and continuing to finish 9th (actually we will be in the 10th spot in another 30 minutes) will most definitely result in the loss of STH's if 1) we don't make a move now to improve the team this year or 2) trade some players with good contracts for prospects and\or draft picks to build for the future. My personal preference would be the latter. Given our inconsistent play, our inability to go on any kind of positive run, and the schedule we are facing down the stretch, I don't see us getting into the top 8 again this year with the group we now have on the ice. If we did somehow sneak in, I don't see us going too far. Either way, some popular players would likely have to be dealt.

We need to do something now! If moving Brindy, Whitney, LaRose, or whomever could result in us acquiring a strong presence and a proven goal scorer to play with Staal, and\or some good prospects and\or draft picks I say we pull the trigger. Doing nothing is unacceptable, IMO.

Great post and nail on head!

Remkin,

I've never totally accepted your "theory" which you have so eloquently reminded us of over the course of the season as the Brindy hater threads have evolved over time. However, I haven't totally dismissed it either. There does seem to be something going on there....

Doing nothing is unacceptable, IMO.

The two above parts of your post are what puzzles me most about the Canes and Leadership. In a season of wild ups/downs our underachiving Captian is SILENT. I don't care if you're minus 200, you are the leader and wear that "C" on your jersey. Read the papers, or quotes anywhere, or even broadcast interviews. Where is No. 17? Where is the accountability?

We hear quotes from Staal, Cam, or a frustrated Whitney. Gleason will fess-up when he stinks.

So I TOTALLY agree with you Coastal. "Doing nothing is unacceptable" and so is SILENCE. They are one and the same. JR, you have until 3PM Wednesday to salvage this. Speak (deal) and get a voice of leadership in that locker room.

...and to stay on subject, the picture is bleak and fading.

It will take the trade of a key player(s) to shake the team out of the funk it has been mired in since winning the Cup. This team has the habit of following a good win with a stinker of a performance. A change of head coaches hasn't improved things. A change of assistant coaches hasn't improved things.

The two above parts of your post are what puzzles me most about the Canes and Leadership. In a season of wild ups/downs our underachiving Captian is SILENT. I don't care if you're minus 200, you are the leader and wear that "C" on your jersey. Read the papers, or quotes anywhere, or even broadcast interviews. Where is No. 17? Where is the accountability?

We hear quotes from Staal, Cam, or a frustrated Whitney. Gleason will fess-up when he stinks.

So I TOTALLY agree with you Coastal. "Doing nothing is unacceptable" and so is SILENCE. They are one and the same. JR, you have until 3PM Wednesday to salvage this. Speak (deal) and get a voice of leadership in that locker room.

Seems there are alot of us who agree that the team as structured now is not working, and some of us point to some interesting circumstances that may suggest where the problem lies. I have never been a Brindy basher, nor has Remkin. His assertations have always been respectful and to the point. Nonetheless, as we continue down the road of mediocrity, you also make a good point. We all love this team or we wouldn't take the time to participate on these boards. I continue to believe that something has to be done sooner rather than later. If that involves a change in locker room presence, I am all for it.

Right now, I could care less about this year's playoffs vs. getting this team in a position to solidify our chances over the upcoming season(s) to be a CONSISTENTLY challenging team to play. I would hope we could look to some financially responsible trades, given the current salar cap restrictions, to build for tommorrow.

Based on this team's current trend in play, doing nothing, as JR as suggested, IS OVERRATED.

As much as I don't want to see us here at the end of the year, I think that's where we will be...Where we are right now. *Note...Toronto has won four straight. We might be 11 by the end.

Yeah, the team had a bad game last night. However, there is so much parity below the top 4 teams (obviously Boston, NJ, the Ovechkins and Philly) that this thing will likely be decided the last week in March, or later. The trade deadline might change things up a bit, with respect to the chasers. But I agree, the team as structrued now is likely 9th and looking from the outside in. But, let's not slip them down to even with the Leafs as they have as likely a chance of moving to 10 or better as we have right now catching the Flyers.

Ownership and mgmt need to recognize that the playoffs are not going to happen for the Canes this year. Most likely, the Canes will finish 10th. If they somehow get in, it will be due to others' problems such as injuries and not that they earn their way in. This team will not make noise in the playoffs. Other teams are going to load up for the playoffs...have you heard the rumor that the Caps may pick up Backstrom from the Wild...can you imagine!?!

5 games that got away and define this season for the Canes: 11/1 Edmonton; 11/6 Caps; 12/11 Flyers; 2/3 Vancouver; 2/28 Atlanta. Could add the 1/15 Toronto when the Canes came all the way back and did not manage to salvage at least a point at home. Take these 6 games that we gave away late and get the 9 pts (at least) that were ours (3 reg wins and 3 reg ties) and think how we'd be talking about the playoffs! We'd be in 4th in the conference. Faltering late in games supposedly led to a coaching change, but that change did little to change results. It is time to make major changes in personnel.

It could actually be a blessing that the team choked against Atlanta because the decision makers have 4 days to get deals done. With the asking prices for quality players this year, we could get great returns for our parts and put together a team for the future. Whitney, Cullen, Corvo, Ruutu, Gleason all have great value this year. LaRose, Seids, Brindy all have some value. No one should be "untouchable."

I just made a 30% downpayment on my future with the Canes, I'd like to see them return the favor and build to have a competitive team during at least one of those 3 seasons!

If we could somehow give Brind'Amour a change of scenery and in the same or a parallel move bring in a point producing forward, and if we could do it without giving up scoring (I know some people want to trade Whitney, but I can only see that if we are throwing in the towel as he is one of the few who can put the puck in the net), or major prospects, then I would favor the team still trying to go for it. In general JR wants to get a guy who has missed his potential and has some time left on his contract, or a guy off of waivers, but this time getting a proven scorer signed only for this year (like Weight and Recci) makes more sense because it's what we need, and if it fails we are going into rebuilding anyway.

I still favor this because making the playoffs is so huge this year that I hate to see us not go for it.

On the other hand, this month is a tough schedule. The team is coming off of a pretty bad choke. I would be ok with JR looking at the team, unable to move Brind'Amour or find the right guy to push us over the top without giving up the store and just saying, let's go young, energy, lets get some value for a couple of guys and start looking to the future.

But doing nothing? The only way I can end up living with that is if the team proves me wrong and makes the playoffs anyway as structured. I wouldn't want to bet on that happening though.

So make a move one way or the other. Not a nibble or a waiver pickup. A move.

It looks like it is shaping up to be a 5 team battle for three spots, common knowledge. A quick look at the teams, Rangers, Panthers, Penguins, Sabres and Canes tells us one thing. All of these teams have been very inconsistant this season so who knows what the final outcome will be. I don't know if Carolina will make it or not. After the Trashers game it is not the most positive vibe one can have but lets see how things play out here before we take our cookies and go home. If they do fail, then yes management should be seriously examined.

Well i am part of the fan base that cannot afford Season tickets but maybe what you guys are talking about will bring about the change's that are needed. If the STH's drop maybe management will finally look at the big picture. I think with freezing the cost thay may already have an idea that this is comming.But until the numbers TRUELY drop ,i'm not sure that anything will be done this year that may help change the outcome(not making the playoffs).

Accepting being a lower half team is not acceptable,, IMO,,if that makes any sense? :blink:

All right I am going to predict that we DO make a move. I just don't think JR will do nothing. The team can't afford to do nothing. If they do nothing and fail they will lose fans. If they do something and fail they will keep fans. Oli Jokinen has lit us up and GM's like to get guy that have done well against them. I'll go with this one. Plus it would give us two guys named Jokinen. Might confuse someone. But if that, then I predict that a significant move happens. We just can't stand pat.

At least I hope not.

I think this may be our playoff picture.

golf_shot.gif

PMPL!!!!This is very true,With a goalie who plays on his Knees 100% of the game this is where we will be in April....

The Canes may be able to stave-off hockey's version of the Grim Reaper by beating the Caps and the Flames, but in keeping with their pattern of consistent inconsistency they will lose to the Bolts.

The Canes may be able to stave-off hockey's version of the Grim Reaper by beating the Caps and the Flames, but in keeping with their pattern of consistent inconsistency they will lose to the Bolts.

LOL sounds about right.

Problem for the Canes is schedule. They have the most difficult schedule of the teams fighting for the last 4 playoff spots. Even if they bring in a big acquisition I just don't see it happening this year.

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

All right App we get the picture. Have you been talking to Remkin (aka we win withouit Brindy)? :rolleyes: But, a double on Yokis would be interesting. How about the double yolk line? Anyway, Rem, as much as I like the thought, JR does nothing, IMO, and we will be talking about this until July.

LOL sounds about right.

Problem for the Canes is schedule. They have the most difficult schedule of the teams fighting for the last 4 playoff spots. Even if they bring in a big acquisition I just don't see it happening this year.

The tough schedule might be a blessing in disguise...we've had trouble against some of the cellar-dwellers this year. Maybe playing some higher-level competition will light a fire under us. We're only a point out, right around where we've been the past two seasons. We need to beat the teams we're supposed to beat, and I think that's coaching. Mo is back, so maybe that will do something.

All right App we get the picture. Have you been talking to Remkin (aka we win withouit Brindy)? :rolleyes: But, a double on Yokis would be interesting. How about the double yolk line? Anyway, Rem, as much as I like the thought, JR does nothing, IMO, and we will be talking about this until July.

Gotta stick with my prediction, but I'm feeling some beads of sweat as the deadline looms. I doubt it will happen, but I'm telling you if Brindy gets a nice change of scenery, we get one more scorer and make (how bout a little controversy) Staal the captain, the team will go on a tear and make the playoffs. That would be the prime move, but adding another scorer would help.

Should be an announcement of the trade any minute now.... :unsure:

Gotta stick with my prediction, but I'm feeling some beads of sweat as the deadline looms. I doubt it will happen, but I'm telling you if Brindy gets a nice change of scenery, we get one more scorer and make (how bout a little controversy) Staal the captain, the team will go on a tear and make the playoffs. That would be the prime move, but adding another scorer would help.

Should be an announcement of the trade any minute now.... :unsure:

I do like the way you think! We will see, but it is coming down to the wire you know. I would have expected something yesterday. :blink:

The Canes' playoff hopes are still in their own hands. But comsidering the level of their play this season, they will let this hope slip through their fingers.