The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Playoff picture discussion thread (standings on first page)

The Canes' playoff hopes are still in their own hands. But comsidering the level of their play this season, they will let this hope slip through their fingers.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think you are on to something. We get one performance like we did against the Sabres then several like the Trashers game. Doesn't bode well for a playoff spot.

The Canes' playoff hopes are still in their own hands. But comsidering the level of their play this season, they will let this hope slip through their fingers.

Others have to falter for the Canes to get in as they sit in 10th, so they don't control their own playoff destiny at this point.

At this point on trades, it's a guessing game. Not much movement around the league, so maybe it's an economics issue. If the season for the Canes continues with not much change in personnel, then this offseason will bring a refurbishing in the Canes house.

All right App we get the picture. Have you been talking to Remkin (aka we win withouit Brindy)? :rolleyes: But, a double on Yokis would be interesting. How about the double yolk line? Anyway, Rem, as much as I like the thought, JR does nothing, IMO, and we will be talking about this until July.

Sorry I can't help myself, anytime I see some one post about the playoffs I picture that in my head

All these people saying we'll miss the playoffs are full of garbage. We're right on the doorstep™, so there's no reason to consider us out. I know we've been in this situation the last couple of seasons and missed the playoffs, but I think this team will make the third time the charm. Besides... after a big win over the division leader tonight, how can you not feel good? As an earlier poster said, the three-game road trip coming up (which includes the game at Dallas that I dread) will tell us a lot about our postseason chances.

The Canes have won big games only to follow the wins with stinkers of games. With 17 games remaining, the Canes need to stitch together a couple of four game win streaks to give any reliable sense of sneaking into the playoffs as an eigth seed.

The Canes have won big games only to follow the wins with stinkers of games. With 17 games remaining, the Canes need to stitch together a couple of four game win streaks to give any reliable sense of sneaking into the playoffs as an eigth seed.

Tell us something we don't know ;) ;)

Very quickly - I think we're down to 9 teams for 8 spots. The Rangers are self-destructing again and their acquisition of Avery shows it. I knew they were in trouble after Torts was brought in.

I think they'll be at least six points behind Carolina/Pittsburgh/Buffalo/Florida come month's end. We need to get the job done in the games we have against them.

Its not gonna happen people. All the other bubble teams are making moves to improve their chances. The Sabres are getting Vanek back. We will do nothing on the deadline. Why? Because JR knows this team is too risky.

Its not gonna happen people. All the other bubble teams are making moves to improve their chances. The Sabres are getting Vanek back. We will do nothing on the deadline. Why? Because JR knows this team is too risky.

I still say there is a move. This year is just too pivital. That win last night showed that even with minor leaguers the team will bounce back from tough losses. We are 5-2 over our last 7 even including the collapsing chair routine in Atlanta, and would have been 6-1 if we hadn't lost the edge in that game.

I'm getting nervous, but I'm still saying there is a move.

I'd have to say even the 5th spot is possible "IF" we take care of our own business. At this point that is all these guys can do. Take care of business and not scoreboard watch(that's our job).

Very quickly - I think we're down to 9 teams for 8 spots. The Rangers are self-destructing again and their acquisition of Avery shows it. I knew they were in trouble after Torts was brought in.

I think they'll be at least six points behind Carolina/Pittsburgh/Buffalo/Florida come month's end. We need to get the job done in the games we have against them.

I really doubt it. Torts may be exactly what the Rangers needed. And Avery performed really well in New York, and was well-liked by most of the team. I don't think that's a desperation move.

Don't like Dallas? I think they've lost like 3 in a row or something...

What's to dread?

Perhaps you two aren't aware of my love for the Kahlenberg KDT-123, and how it's made me cool with the Stars. Hearing that horn and being sad in eight days will be very awkward, as will be hearing the Darkness Music and being happy. Man... that night is going to mess with my head.

I put together a comparison of schedules for teams who are in the hunt for the playoffs (Hurricanes, Sabres, Panthers, Habs, Rangers, Flyers, Penguins).

The schedule for the month of April is brutal for Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Florida Montreal and Philadelphia.

Buffalo will have 7 games in 11 days, 4 of which are back-to-backs. They have 4 road and 3 home games during that stretch.

Pittsburgh will have 6 games in 11 days, 2 of which are back-to-back travel games (Apr 4th @ Carolina; Apr 5th @ Florida). They have 4 road and 2 home games during that stretch.

Florida will have 5 games in 8 days. They will have 2 road and 3 home games during that stretch.

Montreal will have 6 games in 10 days, 2 of which are back-to-back. They will have 4 road and 2 home games during that stretch.

Philadelphia will have 9 games in 15 days (this includes March 28/29), 6 of which are back-to-back games. They have 5 road and 4 home games during that stetch.

Carolina and the Rangers have the more favorable schedules.

Carolina will have 5 games in 10 days. They will have 1 road and 4 home games during that stretch.

New York will have 5 games in 11 days. They will have 3 road and 2 home games during that stretch.

combined with last nights Buffasulg win and the Canes trading for Williams for Cole their playoff chances went down 2 percentage points.

before the trade, the canes had 0 percent chance of getting into the post season. after the trade, they increased their chances significantly. unfortunately, i think the other teams fighting for a spot made changes that are going to improve their teams vastly. take into account our tough schedule, and my guess is our chances of making the playoffs are 40%.

Given the Canes tough remaining schedule and their bi-polar (manic to depressive) play this season, I would rate their chances around 30%, With 17 games left, they will need to finish 11-5-1 to reach the 94 points many expect to be what is need to qualify for the post season. Any of the teams above them in the standings could fall into free-fall mode, but this isn't likely to occur.

Just keeping up with the Pens should do it. I think Montreal's going down the tubes, expecially with the Thrasher shutout last night. We have a few back-to-backs, one tonight, but I have faith in this one. Sure would be easier to figure where we stand if they just took a few days catching all the teams up in their games. Seems like we've been a game ahead for two months now. Once we get that out of the picture, we'll get a better idea of where we are.

Sure would be easier to figure where we stand if they just took a few days catching all the teams up in their games. Seems like we've been a game ahead for two months now. Once we get that out of the picture, we'll get a better idea of where we are.

This also allows the Canes a chance to get some needed rest. The past three games have been great but the Canes still need to finish 9-5-1 to reach the projected 94 point plateau. Not looking as dismal as last week, but with the arrival of Cole it's not impossible.

Over the last 10 games in the Eastern Conference only one team, Pittsburgh, has a better record than us. And they only beat us by one point, and that is with them winning their last 5 in a row. We are making our move!