The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Playoff picture discussion thread (standings on first page)

Habs won, so point-wise nothing went right for the Canes tonight. One "good thing" about the upcoming trip is the Stars are turning into a black-hole,

I love how we are palyign the best hockey of the year, but every other team we are chasing are also getting big wins too.

Pens beat caps on the road, Rangers beat the Bruins , Montreal wins a rare road game against a Stars team hat just beat San Jose not too long ago.

Looks like the top teams are starting to struggle a bit...Boston, Chicago, Washington, Detroit, and SJ haven't look too solid since I have been scoreboard watching...and devils just lost 7-3 to the isles last night.

crazy week of hockey, and it makes the rangers game tomorrow so much more important, cause these teams are not going down without a fight.

So, Canes look hot lately, but then today Pens, Rangers, & Canadiens all win...ugh.

The Canes can get in the playoffs, but need to take care of their own business and scoreboard/schedule watch once April gets here...if necessary.

For the Canes to take care of business, they first need to take out the Rangers at home tomorrow and then get 3 points (or more) on their road trip this week. This puts them at 80 pts with 11 games to go and 8 of those are at home.

This means going 7 and 4 over the final 11 to then reach 94 pts. If the Canes get it done in games they should and in those against other 5-10 teams, they will get those 7 wins. These games to win are:

3/20 NYI

3/23 FL

3/25 OTT

4/2 NYR

4/4 PIT

4/7 NYI

4/9 BUF

Accomplish all of this and the team finishes with 94 pts which should get to the playoffs. Not impossible, not easy either.

I've been out of town all week, so I was surprised to see we jumped briefly to 7th, I assumed with the other teams winning we were still in 10th place even after absolutely crushing 3 games in a row.. not just winning.. just basting people. We did get one good thing yesterday, even though NYR and Pitt won tonight to knock us back down to 9th, Buffalo lost.. so we have 9th alone now, instead of a 9/10th tie with Buffalo.

It will be extremely disappointing if we continue at this pace (winning 7 of our last 10) and miss the playoffs... if we could get hot, we could give any team a run for their money come the playoffs since you just have to win 4 out of 7. Hopefully we beat the Rangers and they continue to slide down. But its there for us to grab! Lets hope they stay hot!

We are as hot as any team in the league right now. As the captian pointed out....it's not how you start its how you finish. Let's take care of our own business. We seem to be playing with a renewed energy and confidence. I look for another big win tommorrow night. Just can't wait...Go Canes!

I'm still positive. Looking at the schedule, we see that we can still do it by our own hands, facing the rangers twice, and as well having meetings with the pens, panthers, sabres. Lookin at our recent games, there's big big potential rising on the end of this season, and the canes very often had their big times of the season and the end of the stretch.

We can do this, and once we hit the playoff grid, despite one time, we always even made it to the finals, so I'd say: if we can make it to the playoff, everything is possible :)

GO GO Canes!

Despite Pierre and Mike's comments yesterday I still believe we have a shot at making the playoffs. Taking care of business continues tonight with hammering the Rangers.

I'm still positive. Looking at the schedule, we see that we can still do it by our own hands, facing the rangers twice, and as well having meetings with the pens, panthers, sabres. Lookin at our recent games, there's big big potential rising on the end of this season, and the canes very often had their big times of the season and the end of the stretch.

We can do this, and once we hit the playoff grid, despite one time, we always even made it to the finals, so I'd say: if we can make it to the playoff, everything is possible :)

GO GO Canes!

I hope thats true.. Its easy to wonder if its too little too late.. why havent we been winning games 9-3 and 8-1 all season long? Obviously Cole has stepped in and made an impact with a goal and a couple assists in 2 games back. Staal decided to take the team on his shoulders finally, with 4 goals and 2 assists against TBL, plus a goal and a couple of assists against Calgary.

Still, as it is, the key is keeping this streak alive. As long as we keep winning, the teams we need to lose will hopefully lose. The Rangers are 4-4-2 in their last 10 and have one 3 in a row, but they will probably hit the skids again. Buffalo is 4-5-1 in their last 10, while Carolina is 7-3-0 in their last 10. Rangers and Buffalo both have 1 game in hand on us, so beating NYR tomorrow night is key.. that will cancel the game in hand and give us a 1 point lead over them

While I am as excited as any with the play of late, let's not forget that this team has had a habit of winning 2 or 3 and then dropping the same. I hope it is different this time. Maybe the addition of Cole and Brindy's improved play will get us over the hump.

I hate how every year, every team has games in hand over us. How is that we always seem to have played more games than every one else. Looking at the standings we are still in the thick of things and it looks like we are only 1 or 2 points out, but those other teams have games in hand. So in reality, we really are more like 3 or 4 points out. Its gonna be a tough road for this team to get in especially with the schedule they have coming up: Rangers, at Chicago, at Dallas (back2back), at Washington. If they can come out of this at .500, that'll be a start, but one of those wins have to be against the Rangers.

Despite Pierre and Mike's comments yesterday I still believe we have a shot at making the playoffs. Taking care of business continues tonight with hammering the Rangers.

Are they the two idiots who were discussing the Eastern Conference at the first intermission of the Bruins/Rangers game?

The bald one(I think) is obviously a complete tool and knows nothing. Twice he pointed out that he just doesn't think Carolina will make it and did not even back up his opinion. I know there are time constriants with TV and all but come one!

Are they the two idiots who were discussing the Eastern Conference at the first intermission of the Bruins/Rangers game?

The bald one(I think) is obviously a complete tool and knows nothing. Twice he pointed out that he just doesn't think Carolina will make it and did not even back up his opinion. I know there are time constriants with TV and all but come one!

Yes Pierre McGuire (the bald guy) and Mike Milbury are the village idiots I was referring to.

Hey, Pierre McGuire and Milbury don't ever have to back up their opinions. They are Canadian - hence they are always right when it comes to hockey. :rolleyes:

Welcome to Canada, where everybody outside the city of Toronto thinks that Pierre McGuire is a complete idiot, yet somehow is still employed by TSN. (as we call it, the Toronto Sports Network)

Interesting bit of trivia, Pierre McGuire, the Bald-Headed idiot, coached the Hartford Whalers in 93-94

His record with the Whalers? 23-37-7

P.S. - His color commentating during the Canes/Slugs games in 06 were the most one-sided, buffalo praising, homerish comments I've ever heard. every time a buffalo player hit a Canes player, it was referred to as "A Monster hit that proves why this team will come out on top" wheras every canes player hit was referred to as Dirty or ineffective.

I'm a member of the "we hate Pierre McGuire" club.

http://ihatepierremcguire.com/''>http://ihatepierremcguire.com/' target="_blank">http://ihatepierremcguire.com/[/post]

Thanks for the link! :D Yes, it was the 05/06 playoffs where Pierre McGuire quickly made it to the top of my SL with his one-sided anti-Canes commentary during both Buffalo and Edmonton series. Ever since then, I can't stand the guy, even during those rare times where he actually says something that makes sense.

We should know Sunday morning 3/15 if we will make the playoffs or not.

That will be a very good indicator, but it is so close right now. I do like the fact that 8 out of the last 11 games are at home. Gotta get it done tonight. Go Canes!!!

It's amazing. In a poll in NHL.com, they have "Which surging squad will produce the most wins down the stretch?" and they have the Penguins, Devils, Canucks, and Hurricanes as options.... they all were voted in that order. Good, keep us under the radar. Then, when we slip into the PO's.... hopefully they'll regret it.

It's amazing. In a poll in NHL.com, they have "Which surging squad will produce the most wins down the stretch?" and they have the Penguins, Devils, Canucks, and Hurricanes as options.... they all were voted in that order. Good, keep us under the radar. Then, when we slip into the PO's.... hopefully they'll regret it.

From those choices, only the Canes HAVE to get the most wins for a playoff spot.

14 games left...need 17 points

8-5-1 should get them in, would be good to get at least three points on the road trip, leaving them with 10 games and needing 14 points

This team is finding all kinds of ways to win as of late. In WSH, our special teams got it done (2SHG, PPG, penalty shot). In CGY, one man stole the show: Whitney's three PPGs. In Tampa, it was a perfect offensive game. Tonight, it was a perfect defensive game against NYR.

Can you think of a better boost of confidence as they go on a three-game road trip?

Go Canes!!!