The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Playoff picture discussion thread (standings on first page)

They certainly got the job done last night.. beating the Rangers gives us a 1 point lead over them, jumps them in the standings and takes away a little of the damage they can do with the game in hand on us. Now they will be faced with some "must wins" down the stretch. A loss last night to give them a 3 point lead and a game in hand would have been a serious hole to dig out of.

We're still several games ahead of everyone, we are at 68 while Pittsburgh and the Rangers are at 67, and Florida and the Sabres are at 66... but as long as we continue this streak and win another 2 or 3 games the games in hand may not matter.

We are tied with Montreal, who just fired a coach... will they surge the way Pittsburgh has, or will they drop off the map? Time will tell how they will react.

Talk about hot. At 8-2-0 over the last 10 games only one team is hotter in the entire NHL, Pittsburgh. If we hadn't folded in Atlanta it would be 9-1-0. Yes we have seen weak opponents mixed in with good opponents having bad nights, and lots of back up goalies, and we can't continue that pace, but clearly something is clicking for this team. Eric Cole is undoubtably stoking the fires, but he has only been here for 3 of those games, Ward is definitely part of it, but it is more than just those two, the team is finding itself, at just the right time.

So, not to throw a fly in the sugar, but we will drop some games down the stretch. It's a tough road, and all teams are going to lose some. With that said, lets not jump off the wagon after a loss. I think this team has finally found it's "identity" (I hate that cliche), is clicking at just the right time, and is a team that right now, nobody wants to play. I think we have enough to get in if we continue our consistent play of late. Boy, it's glad to have hope again.! Some good games tonight as Fla plays Pitt, Buffalo plays Philly and the Habs host the Oil.

So, not to throw a fly in the sugar, but we will drop some games down the stretch. It's a tough road, and all teams are going to lose some. With that said, lets not jump off the wagon after a loss. I think this team has finally found it's "identity" (I hate that cliche), is clicking at just the right time, and is a team that right now, nobody wants to play. I think we have enough to get in if we continue our consistent play of late. Boy, it's glad to have hope again.! Some good games tonight as Fla plays Pitt, Buffalo plays Philly and the Habs host the Oil.

I dont mind if we lose as long as its in a good sequence... like the last 10.. we win 3, lose 1, win 4, lose 1.. etc etc... instead of win 1, lose 4, etc like earlier in the season. Its the 5 and 6 game losing streaks that really kill ya.

Whatever it is that has lit a fire under their butts lets hope it keeps up..

As far as winning against "weak" teams, or picking up a win against a backup goalie (like Washington last week) none of that matters anymore.. we dont need to gauge how good we are against a certain level of opponent or how good we are doing against a certain team.. right now wins are all that matters.. and if Washington or whoever decides to sit their starters and play a back goalie so they can cruise into the playoffs and not get anyone hurt and we win 5-1... i'm perfectly happy with that.. all we need now is wins.. no matter how they come. From now till they raise the Cup winning is all that matter.. quality is not important... it can be 9-3 or 1-0 as long as its a W.

Your right about it being a tough road but I

Your right about it being a tough road but I

So, not to throw a fly in the sugar, but we will drop some games down the stretch. It's a tough road, and all teams are going to lose some.

The Canes are going to lose a few, provided those aren't teams to which we are battling for playoff points (e,g, Pens, Kats, Slugs)

Here's an interesting stat I found off of TSN. The Canes are 2nd in terms of their win streak with 4, with the Penguins having 7 in a row, with both teams trying desperately to make the playoffs. However San Jose and Washington have the worst losing streaks at 4 in a row, and they are both teams that have done consistently well.

Another interesting stat, the Canes have the exact same record as the Pens through 68 games, except for one loss which the Pens managed to get into OT which gives them the extra point in the standings.

I actually considered the remote possibility of winning the SE. If Washington continues to tank and we win, the stars might just align for us. That said, I'm excited and scared about Chicago tonight. They're tough at home 17-6-6 (something like that). I'd be happy if they drop one in either Chicago or Dallas, but beat Washington.......that should be a nice road trip.

I'm feeling alright about our chances now. Yesterday's loss put a huge dent in Buffalo's chances, and even if the Rangers have a game in hand, their remaining schedule is just brutal, especially compared to ours.

I actually considered the remote possibility of winning the SE. If Washington continues to tank and we win, the stars might just align for us. That said, I'm excited and scared about Chicago tonight. They're tough at home 17-6-6 (something like that). I'd be happy if they drop one in either Chicago or Dallas, but beat Washington.......that should be a nice road trip.

"Remote" being the operative word here. According to http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Southeast/Hurricanes.html' target="_blank">SportClubStats[/post], even if we closed out 14-0, we would only have a 74% of winning the SE. Anything below 9-4-1 and we have 0% chance.

"Remote" being the operative word here. According to SportClubStats, even if we closed out 14-0, we would only have a 74% of winning the SE. Anything below 9-4-1 and we have 0% chance.

wow.....that's like winning the lottery. Okay, I'll just go back to fighting for 8th. :)

3 of the next 6 points and we are golden. 8/11 of the remaining games are at home. Ok yes, we have some tough opposition in there, but the way we are playing now, we will do it. Plus, Montreal and the Rangers will tank and possibly Buffalo as well.

caniac247, a non believer.. comon. in the wild , wild, east, the canes can match up with anyone, even bruins.. regarding rangers, i think they have 4 games still left with flyers ,with a back to back this weekend..

There are some eerie parallels to last season. We keep winning, and the pressure on the Cats (Panthers) is building. They are a much better team than usual, but wouldn't it be sweet if we manage to bump them out of the playoffs in the end like they did to us last season? Horton is out, McCabe is out. It was tough last year looking over our shoulder all the time, the Caps really got into our heads, I felt. It's sometimes easier to be the pursuer than the pursuee if you are putting on the pressure. Paying back the Cats would be sweet. Paying back the Caps will have to wait for another year.

There are some eerie parallels to last season. We keep winning, and the pressure on the Cats (Panthers) is building. They are a much better team than usual, but wouldn't it be sweet if we manage to bump them out of the playoffs in the end like they did to us last season? Horton is out, McCabe is out. It was tough last year looking over our shoulder all the time, the Caps really got into our heads, I felt. It's sometimes easier to be the pursuer than the pursuee if you are putting on the pressure. Paying back the Cats would be sweet. Paying back the Caps will have to wait for another year.

Unless we somehow get the Crapitals in the playoffs this year... heh, heh, heh.

caniac247, a non believer.. comon. in the wild , wild, east, the canes can match up with anyone, even bruins.. regarding rangers, i think they have 4 games still left with flyers ,with a back to back this weekend..

;) = sarcasm in my posts

Still though, I won't even think about playoffs until if/when they clinch. Last year was too heartbreaking.