The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Playoff picture discussion thread (standings on first page)

;) = sarcasm in my posts

Still though, I won't even think about playoffs until if/when they clinch. Last year was too heartbreaking.

I keep saying that to people when they try to convince me we will definitely make it.

I won't get excited about playoffs until I know we are in it for sure. With that said I hope we continue doing all we can for ourselves to make it by winning instead of relying on other teams to lose etc.

;) = sarcasm in my posts

Still though, I won't even think about playoffs until if/when they clinch. Last year was too heartbreaking.

I'm with you, i'm trying to take it 1 game at a time, but after beating Washington, Calgary, TB and NYR all in a row, we gave ourselves a huge jump and picked up points while other teams were losing. It looked a few weeks ago that one more loss could have put us "mathematically" out of it, as we were losing 2 or 3 in a row while the Rangers, Penguins and Sabres had righted their ships (temporarily). I almost gave up after the humiliating Atlanta loss, but only because I fully expected us to follow that game with 4 losses.. not 4 wins. I can't believe we turned it around when I expected us to hang em up.

Interestingly I dont get why we are 8th behind Florida, yes, they have one less game then us, so theoretically their "winning percentage" is better then ours (same number of points, one less game played), but we have 2 more wins then they do. The only reason they are equaling us in points is because of their 9 OTLs vs our 5, but points or no points they are still losses! This same thing happened to us last year with Florida and Boston.. it better not happen again. Something is wrong with the tiebreakers... we have more "win" points then they do.. 34 wins is 68 points, we have 36 wins which is 72.

No games tonight have bearings on us tonight except our own.. so a win solidifies us at least for one more day. Tomorrow will be a different story as Pittsburgh faces Columbus (Columbus win helps us), Florida plays Buffalo (Buffalo win helps us, but also helps Buffalo), Rangers play Nashville (need Rangers loss), and we play Dallas. We need to win either game against Chicago or Dallas, although preferably both. Saturday against Washington is a must win.

all of last season i was sure we would get to the playoffs (even bought tickets) and I was wrong.... this season i was sure we wouldnt and now it looks like we could.... man am i off. but remember people! dont jinx us by saying the playoffs are a sure thing! last year we had a thread all about it and come the last day of the season.... we all know how that ended.

No games tonight have bearings on us tonight except our own.. so a win solidifies us at least for one more day. Tomorrow will be a different story as Pittsburgh faces Columbus (Columbus win helps us), Florida plays Buffalo (Buffalo win helps us, but also helps Buffalo), Rangers play Nashville (need Rangers loss), and we play Dallas. We need to win either game against Chicago or Dallas, although preferably both. Saturday against Washington is a must win.

Just watch tomorrow night - Penguins will beat the Jackets while Panthers and Sabres will have a 3 point game with Sabres getting 2 points. Rangers will get at least 1 point. Nothing ever goes our way. I think we need at least 4 points from this 3 game road swing, otherwise we'll be in the 10th spot again.

I don't know if the Craps is a "must win" any more than Chicago or Dallas. They're in our division, but they've locked that slot. Beating them on Saturday won't change that.

Now that Pitt is shining, we just need to keep up with them. Let them clear a path for us and we can worry about our own games. We'll see them in the playoffs.

Buffalo/Florida works out bad either way. Best we can hope for there is a 2-point game.

Every point matters, though - that's for sure. Everytime we win, the Rangers, Sabres, Panthers, Penguins, and Canadiens all move down a couple of percentage points and we move up drastically.

Any chance of a pin for this topic?

Can't believe the Pens/Cats was a 3 point game! In know way do I feel we are a sure thing for the playoffs. We need to just keep winning (especially with our head to head games with teams with are battling with to get in) It would be nice if Slugalo would fall out of the mix :) I will just keep watching our games with one eye on the scores from other games. This is going to be a nerve racking stretch into April. Still believing and hoping-go Canes.

I don't know if the Craps is a "must win" any more than Chicago or Dallas. They're in our division, but they've locked that slot. Beating them on Saturday won't change that.

Now that Pitt is shining, we just need to keep up with them. Let them clear a path for us and we can worry about our own games. We'll see them in the playoffs.

Buffalo/Florida works out bad either way. Best we can hope for there is a 2-point game.

Every point matters, though - that's for sure. Everytime we win, the Rangers, Sabres, Panthers, Penguins, and Canadiens all move down a couple of percentage points and we move up drastically.

I'd prefer us to win all three, but of course I dont think that is likely, as far as must or not must wins, all the games are must wins of course cause we will need every point we can get.

What I meant though, was if we win tonight and gain points while other teams are idle, yes if we lose tomorrow we might slip back down, but its not quite so detrimental since we have that win in our back pocket from tonight. Obviously Dallas and Chicago are both going to be tough games, Chicago is a top tier West team, although they have struggled a little lately (5-4-1 in their last 10), and Dallas is in 10th place in the West fighting for a playoff spot, both are going to be hungry teams. Dallas has hit the skids big time (2-7-1 in their last 10) so, we will either see a team that doesnt care, or a team thats putting it all on the line to win.

Strangely enough, Washington on saturday may be our best chance for a win since they are sliding backwards, and also putting it in cruise control.

I'd prefer us to win all three, but of course I dont think that is likely, as far as must or not must wins, all the games are must wins of course cause we will need every point we can get.

What I meant though, was if we win tonight and gain points while other teams are idle, yes if we lose tomorrow we might slip back down, but its not quite so detrimental since we have that win in our back pocket from tonight. Obviously Dallas and Chicago are both going to be tough games, Chicago is a top tier West team, although they have struggled a little lately (5-4-1 in their last 10), and Dallas is in 10th place in the West fighting for a playoff spot, both are going to be hungry teams. Dallas has hit the skids big time (2-7-1 in their last 10) so, we will either see a team that doesnt care, or a team thats putting it all on the line to win.

Strangely enough, Washington on saturday may be our best chance for a win since they are sliding backwards, and also putting it in cruise control.

If only we had a magic ball.. :rolleyes:

i just dont want to be watching hockey on april 13, hoping a team has to lose for us to get in.. i belive our last game is at NJ on saturday the 12th..

Lets just put one of those 9 game winning streaks together and we wont have anything to worry about.

Just imagine that. We'll find out plenty about the team by this weekend - starting tonight vs Chicago. For now, just the thought of what message that would send to the Conference and League would be awesome.

Before I get carried away, anything can happen with this team. Won't get my hopes up that high, but for now I'll just imagine (and pray a little).

Nah, Florida's success so far has been great goaltending, and that hasn't changed. Don't see them dropping that far off just because they lost their 1st line center.

Nah, Florida's success so far has been great goaltending, and that hasn't changed. Don't see them dropping that far off just because they lost their 1st line center.

Vokouns allowed 11 goals in the last 3 so I wouldnt say hes stealing games. 47 saves last night allowing 3 looks good but he had a meltdown in the shootout.

He stopped 47 shots. Florida got 3 goals in 15 shots, or something ridiculous like that. Says more about Fleury being terrible than Florida's great offensive skill.

There's no way you can pin their loss last night on Vokoun. Plain and simple.

He stopped 47 shots. Florida got 3 goals in 15 shots, or something ridiculous like that. Says more about Fleury being terrible than Florida's great offensive skill.

There's no way you can pin their loss last night on Vokoun. Plain and simple.

I didnt, I said hes allowed 11 in 3 games in reply to you saying that their goaltending has been the key to their success. If their golatender is allowing over 3 a game regardless if its all on him, you cant expect to keep racking up wins.

if you look back at my post I said he looked good last night so dont imply Im pinning the loss on him, c'mon froggy.

And we have the Theo killer back in Cole :)

14 games left: the Canes need to win at least 8 or 9. Can't lose more than 5 in regulation. Still, miles to go before they sleep.

Lets hope we take care of Dallas tonight.. they have struggled mightily in the last few weeks... of course they are in the same spot we are fighting for the playoffs and they will come out a desperate team. Hope Carolina can weather the storm of energy in the first, like they did against the Rangers and then settle into their game.

Last night was a good result. OTL and 1 point against a top tier west conference team that we were seeing for the first time this season? I'll take that. We break the tie with Florida and move into 7th tied with Pittsburgh.

Still in #8 after our short Midwest trip. Despite only getting a point out of it, I sitll like our chances.

this is it - finally 10 games. We have 78 points in 70 games. I think we need over 92-95 points for playoffs. That means in last 12 games, we need at least 14 points.