The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Playoff picture discussion thread (standings on first page)

All we need is to win 6 out of our last 10. Then we're in.

At this point, the team has control of it's own destiny (assuming that other teams don't have control over their own ;) ). What I mean is, if the team wins out (including a win in regulation against the Pansies) then nobody below us can catch us. I know that would require the longest win streak in team history, however if memory serves - NJD won 15 straight heading into the playoffs in 2006. Simply put, the guys need to play every single game, one game at a time, as if it is game 7. If they play like they did last night, we will be buying post-season tickets.

ok, T and i will be in raleigh wednesday through sunday... if the skuttlebutt around is that marty is in goal wednesday nite, then i will personally find where they are staying, and take him for a long ride through raleigh.., so he misess the game.. kidding of course.. i hope he gets the record tomorrow nite..

That would have been nice to see a remake of Celtic Pride! Though can you be as funny as Dan Akroyd? Though I'd like to see someone do that with Semin when we play Washington...he's definitely a Cane Killer!

It would be nice for this team to just go on a 11 game winning streak...we have the players to do it..do they have enough gas in the tank though :unsure:

Don't forget about the first tiebreaker for clubs tied in points at the end of the regular season = Games Won. We have three more wins than Florida and Buffalo who have two games in hand and one more win than Montreal who also has two games in hand. I see the wins column as putting us above the Cats and Sabres regardless of their games in hand at the moment. But, we just need to keep winning.

Don't forget about the first tiebreaker for clubs tied in points at the end of the regular season = Games Won. We have three more wins than Florida and Buffalo who have two games in hand and one more win than Montreal who also has two games in hand. I see the wins column as putting us above the Cats and Sabres regardless of their games in hand at the moment. But, we just need to keep winning.

I like your math but I hope it doesn't come down to a tiebreaker. I hope we can put some distance between us

and some of the other contenders this week. I'm sure it won't be much but 5 or 6 points between us and those

chasing us would be great. Of course we will need a little help from other teams and if we do keep winning were

in.

I like your math but I hope it doesn't come down to a tiebreaker. I hope we can put some distance between us

and some of the other contenders this week. I'm sure it won't be much but 5 or 6 points between us and those

chasing us would be great. Of course we will need a little help from other teams and if we do keep winning were

in.

Alright, tonight we've got Montreal against Ottawa and Florida against Toronto. Don't expect any help tonight, especially considering the last time Florida and Toronto played, the Leafs blew a 4-1 lead in the 3rd.

I still say it will be interesting down the stretch for FLA. It has been much easier for them this time of year the past few seasons, playing the spoiler instead of fighting for the playoff spot when the pressure keeps mounting game after game. No experience at this for them. We'll see how it pans out for them, but every time we win, the pressure mounts even more. I'm glad we ratcheted it up another notch last night.

The best thing is the way this team is playing. Even the losses are not that bad. This team was playing at a higher level even before Eric Cole, and Cole just pushes them that much more. One of the major side effects is Sammy on that third line with Brind'Amour. Sammy is a better match for Brind'Amour and they are both playing very well. I must admit that the team is playing very well and Brind'Amour is still the captain. I have to think that everyone just feels better with him on the third line. Plus, he is playing much better which can only be a good thing. I am somewhat suprised, and he is still a little week on the puck, but he has risen to the level of a very solid third line center.

Anyway, that win last night was huge. On the one hand it sets the ship right after the 3 road losses. On the same hand we beat one of the best teams in the league and played them very well. On other hand, the Canes all know that they beat the Devils coming off a huge back to back situation and with a back up goalie, so hopefully we're not overconfident.

Forslund said last night on the 99.9 post game that talking to GM's and coaches, the word around the league is this:

Nobody wants to play the Hurricanes right now.

That says it all.

Forslund said last night on the 99.9 post game that talking to GM's and coaches, the word around the league is this:

That says it all.

Absolutely. And to the other teams fighting for a spot, they have to be hating waiting for us to lose, knowing that we are playing so well.

Everyone talks about the downside of teams having games in hand on us, but don't forget the upside. Every time we play before they do and win, it applies so much more pressure for them to have to win to match it. Someone is going to crack, it can't keep going on. There are teams playing a lot worse than us right now hanging on by a thread...

We have to keep it rolling...

(read some other team message boards, find their similar thread to this one, and enjoy :) )

Alright, tonight we've got Montreal against Ottawa and Florida against Toronto. Don't expect any help tonight, especially considering the last time Florida and Toronto played, the Leafs blew a 4-1 lead in the 3rd.

As it sits right now, Florida is 3 points behind us, so they can't overtake or tie us, win or lose. And we have a game against the Islanders coming up Friday. I like our chances to keep pace with Florida. Saturday vs Washington may be a different story. I would hope with our play as of late and plenty of rest (2 games in 6 days instead of 6 games in 9 days) that we can take care of NY.. I will refrain from saying it will be an easy game since I know how that goes, but I would hope we take care of business.

Florida has lost 4 straight (2 OTL) and is facing Columbus and then Carolina after the leafs. So possibly a win tonight, but then they face two "playoff" teams. A couple more loses and Florida will be fading away with the Sabres.

Don't count out Ottawa helping us tonight, they have been playing good hockey and I feel they will take it to Montreal.....As far as Florida, long trip to Toronto, funny things can happen once you get on the ice....

That says it all.

Can I just say how good it is to hear that? ;)

I think the Florida game will be a really big game for a variety of reasons. Obviously the playoff race is reason #1, thats a 4 point game for both teams and both should be going really hard. Hopefully Columbus can beat them the night before, because they really want to make it to the playoffs too.

Now, if Florida doesn't make the playoffs, then they can probably say goodbye to Bouwmeester and get NOTHING in return. That is very big in my opinion. If they lose him the Capitals will probably be our only real opponents for the next few seasons. Honestly even if the Sabres get the eighth seed, and both the Canes and Panthers miss the playoffs it would still probably mean them losing Bouwmeester which would be a silver lining, though we would probably have to make heavy changes to our own team.

I wouldn't exactly call the game against the Islanders an easy win by any means. Playing spoiler has its advantages, and I believe they've won 6 in a row, or something similar.

I wouldn't exactly call the game against the Islanders an easy win by any means. Playing spoiler has its advantages, and I believe they've won 6 in a row, or something similar.

Couldn't agree more. If we treat this any less than another playoff game, the Isles can win. Wish I was going tomorrow, but will be there Saturday against the Caps. Go Sens, Go Leafs!

Oh yeah.. exactly why I didnt call it that... we can't afford to over look any game... every opponent is a potential "bracket buster" to use the March Madness term. Regardless of playing without Broduer, I felt like we really came out like a firecracker against the Devs.. we didnt treat that game like an easy win... the rest of the team can score and beat you even without Marty in net. That was a quality win, even without it being against the winningest goalie of all time.

Habs lose. Panthers win. I'll take it. It will be interesting to see how quickly Habs fans riot if they fall out of the race... Personally, I would rather knock the Panthers out of the playoffs for payback. And as was said previously, if that happens, theres a chance Bo will not resign. Sweet revenge!

That says it all.

Stevens, flyers coach, says that he wouldn't want to face the Canes in the first round. Majority of Devils fans are saying the samething.

And to bring people even closer to the light. Melrose was doing his Eastern Conference predictions last night. He had Carolina at 7 and Montreal at 8. He did have Carolina winning it all in 2006 :unsure:

If they continue playing the way they are, they can do it. It starts with beating the teams you should win, which starts tonight with the Islanders. Will it be easy, absolutly not. They have a bunch of young kids who are savoring every moment playing at this level and having tons of fun. Those are the most dangerous teams to face when fighting for a playoff spot. They have nothing to lose, no pressure, and it won't be easy.

Habs lose. Panthers win. I'll take it. It will be interesting to see how quickly Habs fans riot if they fall out of the race... Personally, I would rather knock the Panthers out of the playoffs for payback. And as was said previously, if that happens, theres a chance Bo will not resign. Sweet revenge!

Honestly I would love it if 3 SE teams made the playoffs... of course thats means both of us make it, not Florida making it at our expense, obviously if it comes to that is US and not THEM... The sad thing is, I'm not sure how well it would help the image of the SE if 3 made the playoffs, since the other two are in the bottom 3 in the conference (NYI is the only one lower).

By contract in the west... Western Conference 2nd spot San Jose obviously had some help from its division mates. NONE are in the playoff positions. Anaheim 10th, Dallas 11th, LA 13th and Pheonix 14th. I was hoping I could make the argument that Detroit prays on the weak, which might be true most years.. but not this year.. The entire division is in the hunt this year... Detroit 1, Chicago 5, Columbus 6, Nashville 8th and St Louis on the outside,but only 3 points back in 12th.

As far as our conference is concerned. Buffalo (5 points behind 12 games left) may still be in the hunt, certainly with 2 games in hand. Toronto (10 points back with 10 games left), I guess is not mathematically out of it, but they'd have to win 5 or more of their last 10 while Carolina, Buffalo and Florida all lost 6 in a row. So I would say from 11th down if making tee times.

Atlanta and Tampa Bay (17 and 20 points back each with 11 games left) are about 1 game away from officially being mathematically eliminated and NYI (25 points left with 12 games to play) can not make it no matter what.

I'd have to say that I'd rather Florida make the playoffs, and Montreal not.

I still hold a grudge from the mid 80's.

the first round always seemed like it was the perennial "eliminated by the Habs" round.

I have 2 favorite teams. The Canes, and whoever is playing montreal.