The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jpgrygus

Can someone help me with some 'cane info?

IMO, no. I think "North Carolina Hurricanes" would simply have been more than a mouthful. I am sure we have some fanbase down there, but as far as I know none of the players have ever done anything fan/player related to increase the fanbase down there (i.e. they are often involved in community type activities - mainly in the Raleigh area). From the arena, it is approximately 1.5 - 2 hours to the closest portion of South Carolina.

IMO, no. I think "North Carolina Hurricanes" would simply have been more than a mouthful. I am sure we have some fanbase down there, but as far as I know none of the players have ever done anything fan/player related to increase the fanbase down there (i.e. they are often involved in community type activities - mainly in the Raleigh area). From the arena, it is approximately 1.5 - 2 hours to the closest portion of South Carolina.

Thanks heaps. Well answered. Now I don't feel so ignorant.

Not a stupid question at all. I agree with Cat5, that "North Carolina Hurricanes" would be a mouthfull and people would likely just shorten it anyway (which is very American). For example, one of the local college teams is the "University of North Carolina Tarheels" but most people simply call them the "Carolina Tarheels" (well, some people call them by other names! :lol: )

Question for you John - what is the level of popularity of hockey in Australia? Is the Austrailian Ice Hockey League the main league for pro/semipro hockey? The Mighty Roos, the national team, winning the gold in the IIHF Division II last year (going undefeated in the tourney) and getting promoted to Division I certainly indicates the talent in the country is on the rise.

I'm sure some of it also had to do with the Panthers, as they are the Carolina Panthers. Granted, Charlotte is a lot closer to SC and the Panthers have practice facilities in SC. I know the Panthers have a pretty big fanbase in SC as well. The Panthers make it clear their "Carolina" is both North and South. But it makes since to name the teams similarly. Like red storm said, you have the "Carolina Tarheels" the "Carolina Panthers" and the "Carolina Hurricanes"

Interestingly in the NHL, some teams are named for the state (Colorado Avalanche, New Jersey Devils, Florida Panthers) and some teams are named for the City (Buffalo Sabres, San Jose Sharks, Columbus Blue Jackets... even the HARTFORD Whalers.)... No doubt the "Carolina" was chosen for a specific reason, as opposed to the "Raleigh Hurricanes" Since 95% of the country would not know where Raleigh is.. and to represent the entire state.

At first I was going to say that the teams named after cities were when there was more then 1 team in the state (Holds true for the New York Islanders/New York Rangers/Buffalo Sabres and the San Jose/Anaheim/LA teams) But Columbus is the only Ohio team, Dallas is the only Texas team, Atlanta is the only Georgia team, Nashville is the only Tennessee team. I guess it depends on the size of your city. Everyone knows Atlanta, Dallas etc.. I would argue Columbus is kinda small, but whatever works for them.

Hey great to see that we have fans abroad down under. Yeah like everyone else has said the North Carolina Hurricanes would be a little much, and the Raleigh Hurricanes underachieves a little, even though apparently from a marketing stand point they really are just the Triangle Hurricanes since you never ever hear or see anything about them out here in the Western part of the State (at least we get their games on tv).

The only thing I have to add is that even some South Carolina sports teams refer to themselves as "Carolina" refer to the USC Gamecocks, their jerseys have CAROLINA written across them. Although I always have to inform my South Carolina/USC fan friends, that in fact North Carolina is the real CAROLINA!

Hey but I guess back during the 1600's we were just one colony named Carolina anyway so whatever

I'm from Australia and I love ice hockey. I have chosen Carolina Hurricanes as my favourite NHL team. (I don't know why but it just feels right)

My question is kinda stupid but I am sure every American ice hockey fan knows the answer.

I know the Hurricanes represent North Carolina but do they also represent South Carolina? (hence the name 'Carolina')

Forgive the ignorance.

Thanks..and go the 'canes!!!

John.

We are from Myrtle Beach South Carolina and we sure consider the Hurricanes OUR team too. We come up to Raleigh whenever we can for games and subscribe to Center Ice on TV so we never miss seeing a game-you'd be surprised at the number of 'Canes bumper stickers and decals you see on cars around here----also we are trying to recruit people to hockey ...The Hurricanes belong to both North and South Carolina we believe!!!! :rolleyes:

Not a stupid question at all. I agree with Cat5, that "North Carolina Hurricanes" would be a mouthfull and people would likely just shorten it anyway (which is very American). For example, one of the local college teams is the "University of North Carolina Tarheels" but most people simply call them the "Carolina Tarheels" (well, some people call them by other names! :lol: )

Question for you John - what is the level of popularity of hockey in Australia? Is the Austrailian Ice Hockey League the main league for pro/semipro hockey? The Mighty Roos, the national team, winning the gold in the IIHF Division II last year (going undefeated in the tourney) and getting promoted to Division I certainly indicates the talent in the country is on the rise.

The level of popularity is a big fat ZERO!

We have so many other sports that have been around longer and hence have gained more popularity; Australian rules football, cricket, rugby(all very popular) and finally soccer.

Ice hockey gets no coverage in the press or media. I think if Australia somehow wins the world championship then something it might get mentioned.

I know of the Aussie roos but didn't know they got promoted. Thanks for the update. Very good news. I can't see them threatening anyone on the world stage but us Aussies are gutsy and we try hard. Good luck in the world championship in Switzerland this month. The USA hasn't won in how long?

We are from Myrtle Beach South Carolina and we sure consider the Hurricanes OUR team too. We come up to Raleigh whenever we can for games and subscribe to Center Ice on TV so we never miss seeing a game-you'd be surprised at the number of 'Canes bumper stickers and decals you see on cars around here----also we are trying to recruit people to hockey ...The Hurricanes belong to both North and South Carolina we believe!!!! :rolleyes:

Glad to hear we have some fans in SC. Hockey is the best sport IMO. The players are more down to earth and are not spoiled. It shouldn't be too hard to recruit fans-especially if they make the trip to a game. (especially in the spring when games mean so much more and even better PLAYOFF HOCKEY :)

...even though apparently from a marketing stand point they really are just the Triangle Hurricanes since you never ever hear or see anything about them out here in the Western part of the State.

Don't give up on 'em yet. We have a pretty big Asheville fan base - gotta recruit!

That's my sentiment also. I would think it would be in the Hurricanes favour to have a strong supporter base both in the North and South. Cosidering there isn't a seperate team in the south, Hurricanes should be considered a 'unified' team.

That's my sentiment also. I would think it would be in the Hurricanes favour to have a strong supporter base both in the North and South. Cosidering there isn't a seperate team in the south, Hurricanes should be considered a 'unified' team.

The Ccanes should and do represent every fan every where (including down under) who root for them. It is a pretty narrow attitude to think only North Carolina has the right to be represented. Jeeeeze.