The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Law-Dawg

We're starting to get noticed (and respected)

And today on XM afternoon show, Cam's name was bantered about when discussing the Vezina Trophy. Rossy and Greener admitted that Cam's numbers the past month have been outstanding. Rossy had Cams name on his short list, but Greener did not and was quick to realize his mistake in overlooking Cam.

Everyone is talking about the Canes peaking now at the right time, and how they are the team to watch in the East. Nice, but no one picked us in 2006 except Melrose. Sometimes is best to be under the radar.

HEYHEYHEYHEYHEY. I'm watching NHL Live! right now and they are saying that they believe that if we keep up our fast, physical game and keep ourselves out of our zone most of the time, then we have a great shot at getting past at least the first round.

And today on XM afternoon show, Cam's name was bantered about when discussing the Vezina Trophy. Rossy and Greener admitted that Cam's numbers the past month have been outstanding. Rossy had Cams name on his short list, but Greener did not and was quick to realize his mistake in overlooking Cam.

How can this be? Cam is averyage at best ;)

I know this is minor, but I'm watching the Chicago/Montreal game and the Caps announcer who is doing the VS game tonight just said something about Ruutu (because Ladd did something good, I guess) and he said, "Ruutu's working out very, very nice for the Hurricanes." The color analyst responded cheesily, "My, oh my... what a first line those Canes have got!"

I know this is minor, but I'm watching the Chicago/Montreal game and the Caps announcer who is doing the VS game tonight just said something about Ruutu (because Ladd did something good, I guess) and he said, "Ruutu's working out very, very nice for the Hurricanes." The color analyst responded cheesily, "My, oh my... what a first line those Canes have got!"

They were also singing our praises in the first period-how hot the team has been and what a great job Cam has done lately. :)

HEYHEYHEYHEYHEY. I'm watching NHL Live! right now and they are saying that they believe that if we keep up our fast, physical game and keep ourselves out of our zone most of the time, then we have a great shot at getting past at least the first round.

only the first round? :o

Stopped reading immediately after he quotes an unknown source "affiliated with the team" and then proceeds to put words into this unknown source's mouth. Who needs integrity? :rolleyes:

I know some of you don't want to hear this, so I won't mention that The Hockey News has the Canes at #1 in their Power Rankings. If you don't want to see it, don't go here[/post]

It cant be a jinx if we're not saying it, right?

FYI, power rankings are being followed here:

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...c=17214&hl=

I know some of you don't want to hear this, so I won't mention that The Hockey News has the Canes at #1 in their Power Rankings. If you don't want to see it, don't go here

Its nice to see the respect as long as the team keeps up the same intensity that has gotten us where we are. We have to keep up that desperate, hungry play because we are still in a dog fight for playoffs.

Nice article from John Forslund's blog:

Hockey's popularity not overshadowed by hoops anymore

Tobacco road. College basketball is king in the triangle. All of the attention is first devoted to the heralded, traditional, historical programs of North Carolina, Duke and N.C. State. The attention amplifies in March and early April, especially if one of the locals is still playing.

"This is a hockey town now," Hurricanes TV voice John Forslund said Saturday after a 3-2 overtime win over Pittsburgh. "Players around the league know this, conversations that are held about Southeastern markets that are problems, the Hurricanes are out of that conversation."

Last Saturday, April 4 the Carolina Hurricanes entertained the Pittsburgh Penguins. Both teams are neck and neck fighting for the fourth place spot in the Eastern Conference and home-ice advantage. The 'Canes won in the extra period in front of 18,680 screaming fans. It was an electric atmosphere....the same night North Carolina was playing Villanova in the Final Four in Detroit.

"It can happen," Forslund said. "That shows you how major league this area is becoming, it's not 8 thousand fans here and everyone staying home and watching the basketball game. There are almost 20 thousand people here that still wish they were."

Surprisingly the Hurricanes attendance this season has ramped up as the college basketball season ramped up in February and March. In the last 15 home games, attendance has only dropped below 18 thousand three times. In those three games the attendance was still above 17 thousand. Eight times in that span the crowd reached its 18,680 capacity.

The N.C. State men's basketball team shares the RBC Center with the Hurricanes. The Wolfpack averaged only 13,372 fans in 16 home games (not including two home games played at Reynolds Coliseum).

The Hurricanes held an attendance average of 16,633 in the 2007-08 season, and is holding right near that mark this year at 16,524.

General Manager and Vice President Jim Rutherford thought that Saturday night proved Raleigh is a big enough market for both sports.

"But we've had times even going back after we were here three or four years when Duke and Carolina would have a big game in the regular season and we had a game where we had a full house," Rutherford said Wednesday on 99.9FM The Fan ESPN Radio. "A lot of the people that were at our game were watching the hockey game part of the time and then watching the televisions to see the basketball game."

Rutherford said the biggest difference from than to now is that he never saw that on Saturday, a night when North Carolina was playing in the Final Four.

But John Forslund summed up the coexistence of college basketball and professional hockey best.

"No one ever said the Hurricanes were here to supplant anything, the Hurricanes were here to take a place in the sports world."

And now the triangle is a college basketball hot bed, and also a hockey town.

From SI.com:

Jim Kelley: Carolina has balanced offense, a fairly steady defense, and a goaltender, Cam Ward, who has returned to his Conn Smythe form. They're a sixth seed, but know the Devils well, beat them at home and earned a split on the road when they met three times in their final 11 games. There's a history here and it favors the Devils, but Paul Maurice has his team believing in itself and that confidence has served it well. The 'Canes looked like also-rans at the All-Star break, but they've played steady, successful hockey and never faltered in their run to the playoffs. They are playing with an inner-confidence that the Devils no longer seem to have.

Darren Eliot: Only if you consider the sixth-seeded Hurricanes a sleeper in the East. They have veteran leadership in the rejuvenated Rod Brind'Amour and two young stars playing high level hockey: Ward and Eric Staal. If the power play remains potent with Joe Corvo and Anton Babchuk bombing away from the blueline, the 'Canes could find themselves facing the Penguins in the conference finals.

Allen Muir: I'm not sure I'm ready to pick against the Devils just yet, but the Hurricanes have the look of a team capable of winning a couple of rounds. Ten players remain from the close-knit squad that won the Cup in 2006, so there's plenty of experience. Maurice has them playing a fast, aggressive style that generates a lot of chances. Ward? Arguably the MVP of the second half. If any fifth-to-eighth-seeded team is going deep, its Carolina.

From SI.com:

Jim Kelley: " There's a history here and it favors the Devils"

I just worked all night, and I can't help but wonder - what playoff series we (as the Hurricanes) met the Devils in that we didn't come out on top? '02 and '06 we won, but were there earlier series' that we lost to them? I can't remember right now, everything's kinda fuzzy... :blink::blink:

I'm just not real sure what history he's referring to overall W-L? playoff series W-L? overall history of the franchises?

I just worked all night, and I can't help but wonder - what playoff series we (as the Hurricanes) met the Devils in that we didn't come out on top? '02 and '06 we won, but were there earlier series' that we lost to them? I can't remember right now, everything's kinda fuzzy... :blink::blink:

I'm just not real sure what history he's referring to overall W-L? playoff series W-L? overall history of the franchises?

In 2001, NJ beat the Canes 4-2 in the quarterfinals.

From SI.com:

Jim Kelley: There's a history here and it favors the Devils,

I was just about to post the same question. Anyone?

ETA: I just saw TSA's response, but why would the Devils beating us one time in the playoffs be looked at as some kind of "history"?

In 2001, NJ beat the Canes 4-2 in the quarterfinals.

knew there was one back there, but sleep deprivation has it's effects :lol:

with that,

peace out

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I was just about to post the same question. Anyone?

ETA: I just saw TSA's response, but why would the Devils beating us one time in the playoffs be looked at as some kind of "history"?

I figured it was because the team with home ice won all three series.