The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

FIRST ROUND- vs. Devils - your thoughts

This matchup works out for us better than Philly, so that is good. I really like how the team played against the Devils this season, being 2 fluky bounces away from sweeping the season series. Devils may say that they are balanced, but against our defense and goaltending, which was essentially the same throughout the season (except for Leighton in for Ward this last game), our team held them to only 8 goals, exactly 2 per game. There's an argument to be made about us not facing the real Devils team since Brodeur didn't play in two of them, but the offense was still there. I'll go with the Canes in 5.

The Devil's posts generally follow one of two formats.

They whine about how the Hurricanes are not worried about playing them and how that lack of respect will come back to bite us.

Or

They chat about how much better their team is than our team and brag about how they will beat us.....

--------------------

In all honesty it looks like the majority of their fans follow the Devils way better than they follow hockey.

When your third and fourth lines read:

Jokinen-Brind'amour-Samsonov

Eaves-Dwighty H-Walker

You're not a team that is entirely lacking depth. From the way they say it, we have nothing but AHLers on our lower lines.

One guy was listing our talent as compared to Pittsburg and listed our four best players as: Staal, Cole, Brind'amour, Babchuk. Odds are this guy has only seen the Canes play against Jersey, and given his decision to mention Brindy, he didn't even look up statistics for the season...

Another Dev's fan was even touting +/- as proof that their players were superior.

Hey guys, Devils fan here. I like to read the boards of teams we play in the playoffs to see how you guys feel about the series... firstly, I come in peace and want to wish you the best of luck!

I also wanted to respond to this and point out that the situation with the boards was really odd yesterday and those two goal were the first and second instances that have happened this year. I've been to almost all of the games and can't remember that ever happening... really odd.

Thanks for the comment. Yeah that was really strange, but to have it happen twice? Bizarre. I also like to read the other teams pages. This should be a good series, but of course, we hope the Canes come out on top. :lol:

I'd say games 1 and2, we check those boards in our own end before we do anything else lol.

I thought the same thing, even thought they may have checked them if possible before the 3rd period of the last game

I will guarantee you they will be throwing pucks around those boards in warm ups n those games and will definetly check them in the pre-game skates they do in the mornings

Devs fan here. First, the Devils haven't trapped in years. If you want to see a trap, go watch a Devils game from 1995. Under Sutter, the devils have become one of the most aggressive forechecking teams in the league. Much of the Devils strength comes from all the forwards being great 2 way players. Elias, Langenbrunner, Zajac, and Parise can not only score but backcheck with the best in the league.

For the person who posted the possible game days, please at least say where you got it from, not cool just stealing that.

These our the lines we probably we role with:

Elias Zubrus Gionta

Parise Zajac Langenbrunner

Pandolfo Madden Shanahan

Rolston Holik Clarkson

Martin Oduya

White Mottau

Salvador Havelid

Good luck, anyone going to be at Game 1 or 2?

For the person who posted the possible game days, please at least say where you got it from, not cool just stealing that.

I think he was just making his best guess based on the availability of both the Prudential Center and the RBC center.

Looks like a good guess to me since the league tries to allow both teams a weekend game, if possible. Having game #3 on Sunday would allow that.

I think he was just making his best guess based on the availability of both the Prudential Center and the RBC center.

Looks like a good guess to me since the league tries to allow both teams a weekend game, if possible. Having game #3 on Sunday would allow that.

I only said that because at a devils board I post at, the exact same thing was posted only earlier. And coming from the same guy who posted quotes from the same devils board in this thread. Its cool, though just give some props to where you got it from silly :P

I only said that because at a devils board I post at, the exact same thing was posted only earlier. And coming from the same guy who posted quotes from the same devils board in this thread. Its cool, though just give some props to where you got it from silly :P

Hopefully the league posts all the dates and times soon to end the big mystery.

Maybe one of you Devils fans could post some venue info for us. Im assuming the Newark airport is the airport of choice but is there another option that may be less expensive? Are there hotels nearby? restaurants? Public transportation? Will there be tickets available? Thanks for any info.

I would think that Tmoney knows more about the local area than I do. I live down at the Jersey Shore. When I go up, it's always on the train. The train takes you real close to the Rock (3 blocks). The whole 'OMGWTFBBQ DONT GO TO THE DEVS GAME IN NEWARKZ CUZ YOUS GONNA GETZ SHOT' is so ridiculous it's not funny. There are cops EVERYWHERE on gamenights.

Can't really help you with hotels...

There's are a ton of restaurants and really nice bars in walking distance.

If I where you, I would definetly get tickets through ticketmaster ahead of time.

Give Jussi more PP time :). This will be epic series but we can do it.

Maybe I'm just a biased kid when it comes to the three Finns on the team, but I really think that Jussi is a freak out there sometimes with his nice passing skills. No doubt he's making JR look pretty genius right about now. Can you believe that we got this guy for the bench warmer in Brookbank and the minor-leaguer in Melichar? (I still can't.) Anyway, he was great out there on the PP in NJ. He's got accurate passing and if we have to be without Cully (I hope not) then we've got the point covered by our offensive D-men and Jussi can work with the second unit of the PP. Either way, I'm liking our PP as of late and I really like Jussi out there. Just my $0.02 on one of my favorite Finns. :)

I have a good feeling about this macthup in the first round for the Canes. I think the Canes will take this series in 6 games. I would love to see the Canes sweep the Devils and kill the Devils because all the *edit* New Jersey put us fans here in Albany threw. But I really do not think the Canes will sweep them. But I really do think they will get out of this round.

Devs fan here. First, the Devils haven't trapped in years. If you want to see a trap, go watch a Devils game from 1995. Under Sutter, the devils have become one of the most aggressive forechecking teams in the league. Much of the Devils strength comes from all the forwards being great 2 way players. Elias, Langenbrunner, Zajac, and Parise can not only score but backcheck with the best in the league.

the agressive forecheck is initiated after they dump the puck in and happens until the opposing team gains possession enough to start a transition. Once this happens, 2 forwards retreat to high in the offensive zone or to the neutral zone, I saw it Saturday. They actually went to an all out forecheck under Larry Robinson and it didnt work. Call it what you want, a modified trap, a winger lock, its defense first. The eyes dont lie.

I would think that Tmoney knows more about the local area than I do. I live down at the Jersey Shore. When I go up, it's always on the train. The train takes you real close to the Rock (3 blocks). The whole 'OMGWTFBBQ DONT GO TO THE DEVS GAME IN NEWARKZ CUZ YOUS GONNA GETZ SHOT' is so ridiculous it's not funny. There are cops EVERYWHERE on gamenights.

Can't really help you with hotels...

There's are a ton of restaurants and really nice bars in walking distance.

If I where you, I would definetly get tickets through ticketmaster ahead of time.

The "Rock" is one nice arena, and the two games I have attended there have been without incident. I have a friend who lives on the coast there and we rode the train. But if you haven't been to Newark then it is definitely an experience. The cops there were real nice and didn't hesitate to give us info or just friendly advice. Most of their fans were respectful but we did run into a couple of bad apples, but they are in any pro sport venue anywhere. There were some really nice eating places and bars close to the arena but I can't remember any of the names. Personally, I wouldn't want to stay in Newark, but that's not saying anything bad about the people, just not my choice of location.

Finally, for any other Devils fans visiting our boards, the hillbilly, nascar and diving references are what we are used to, but do a little research on our town and you might find some interesting facts. I for one, am looking forward to an exciting series.

the agressive forecheck is initiated after they dump the puck in and happens until the opposing team gains possession enough to start a transition. Once this happens, 2 forwards retreat to high in the offensive zone or to the neutral zone, I saw it Saturday. They actually went to an all out forecheck under Larry Robinson and it didnt work. Call it what you want, a modified trap, a winger lock, its defense first. The eyes dont lie.

The difference between the trap the the system the Devils play is, in a 'true' NZT, the forwards go in without any intention of gaining puck possession in the offensive zone. Normally one winger plays chase and tries to force the puck carrier to a certain side. The other forwards play back in the blueline - midline area, clogging up passing lanes; the neutral zone. Hence the name Neutral zone trap. With the two line pass rule gone, there will never be another 'true' NZT. There is a HUGE difference in smart, defense first hockey and the trap.

The Devils simply play dump and chase. All 3 forwards jump in, pursue the puck, and try to gain possession. Do they 'relax' at certain points of the game? You bet. Every team in the league has a defense first system when need be. Believe it or not, the Devils playing in their defense first system this year has been killing them at times. Not enough pressure on the opposition.

To say the all out forecheck under LR didn't work is crazy talk. They were among the highest scoring teams in 2000(in fact the highest in 2000) and 2001, won a cup, and 2 EC champ years.

BTW, Lets go Mets.

Game 1: Wednesday, 7:30 p.m. at Prudential Center

Game 2: Friday, 7:30 p.m. at Prudential Center

Game 3: Sunday, 7:30 p,m. at RBC Center

Game 4: Tuesday, April 21, 7:30 p.;m. at RBC Center

*Game 5: Thursday, April 23, 7:30 p.m. at Prudential Center

*Game 6: Sunday, April 26, TBD at RBC Center

*Game 7: Tuesday, April 28, 7:30 p.m. at Prudential Center

*If necessary

Finally, for any other Devils fans visiting our boards, the hillbilly, nascar and diving references are what we are used to, but do a little research on our town and you might find some interesting facts. I for one, am looking forward to an exciting series.

Actually, my old neighbor's moved down right outside of Raleigh quite a few years ago. We went and visited them a year or two after. It is a great place. Reminded me of NJ by the shore, not that different in the summer time. If I had to live somewhere else than NJ it would be NC.

In the same respect, please do not think New Jersey is just a place for wannabe gangsters, guido's, and hoodlums.

Watch a Minnesota Wild game, then watch a Devils game.

The results are obvious.

Personally I feel that if we are completely healthy then we won't have any major trouble. When we've had our full compliment (excluding Cullen lately) we've only had one bad game in the last 2 months. I say we take it in 6.

I'm just so excited...............PLAYOFFS RETURN TO RALEIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................hopefully with a 2-0 series lead