The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesNC01

Downie Hit

Nah, I'd have something much worse in mind for Orpunk. ;)

Something from the Saw movies perhaps??? :lol:

No, even better, I just read about some brain eating amoeba's that have been found in some lakes. Maybe he can take a swim!! Truth is so stranger that fiction! ;)

He got a 20 game suspension from the NHL. Don't know what that will mean to a guy who may not even make the NHL.

From TSN:

The National Hockey League has handed down its verdict on the Flyers' Steve Downie.

Colin Campbell, the NHL's executive vice-president and director of hockey operations, has suspended Downie for 20 games for his vicious hit on Ottawa Senators forward Dean McAmmond in Thursday's exhibition game.

The 20 games is the fifth longest suspension handed down by the league. New York Islanders' Chris Simon holds the longest at 25 games for his two-handed stick attack to the face of Ryan Hollweg of the New York Rangers last season.

Anyway, good for the league, I hope this is the new precedent for these kinds of hits. 3-5 game suspensions don't seem to have much of an impact but 20 might.

He got a 20 game suspension from the NHL. Don't know what that will mean to a guy who may not even make the NHL.

From TSN:

The National Hockey League has handed down its verdict on the Flyers' Steve Downie.

Colin Campbell, the NHL's executive vice-president and director of hockey operations, has suspended Downie for 20 games for his vicious hit on Ottawa Senators forward Dean McAmmond in Thursday's exhibition game.

The 20 games is the fifth longest suspension handed down by the league. New York Islanders' Chris Simon holds the longest at 25 games for his two-handed stick attack to the face of Ryan Hollweg of the New York Rangers last season.

Anyway, good for the league, I hope this is the new precedent for these kinds of hits. 3-5 game suspensions don't seem to have much of an impact but 20 might.

Good, now maybe Ottawa can stop whining about this. :rolleyes:

Whoa, pretty harsh Hoyle. But I guess you would hear a lot more than we would down here.

Good, now maybe Ottawa can stop whining about this. :rolleyes:

Whoa, pretty harsh Hoyle. But I guess you would hear a lot more than we would down here.

So does Downie get to serve his suspension in the AHL or does he have to be on a NHL roster to serve the games?

If he has to serve them on a NHL roster it raises a bunch of questions. Will the Flyers keep him around just to serve the suspension so he can be a call up later? Or will he get sent down and then have to serve them when/if he is called back up?

Needless to say this was a pretty stupid way to announce your presence to the rest of league as a guy trying to make a roster.

I'm sure Philly will just keep him up with the club so as to let him serve his suspension now and get it out of the way. Unless a few guys get hurt and they need the spot, there's no reason to send him down and drag it out.

I am proud of Campbell though... he's finally taking these career-threatening shots seriously. Twenty games for Janssen on T. Kaberle or Orpik on Cole would have been very satisfying, but better late than never.

Since quoting yourself is poor form I would just like to say that I am a genius..... 20 games was my predication after Colin and I talked last week :lol:

On a serious note it is nice to see that he was meteing out punishment that fits the crime. Hopefully there is a sliding scale upwards for similar incidents until guys dont even think about running another player with a cheap shot like that. My only remaining question would be would he have gotten 20 games if that had been Spezza or Heatley on the ice???? I doubt it.

So does Downie get to serve his suspension in the AHL or does he have to be on a NHL roster to serve the games?

If he has to serve them on a NHL roster it raises a bunch of questions. Will the Flyers keep him around just to serve the suspension so he can be a call up later? Or will he get sent down and then have to serve them when/if he is called back up?

Needless to say this was a pretty stupid way to announce your presence to the rest of league as a guy trying to make a roster.

They were talking about it on XM and the suspension is only at the NHL level. They were thinking that they would keep him on the Flyers roster to serve those 20 games, then send him to the Phantoms so he could be a call up. Although, it sounds as if the AHL is looking into the hit as well, and they might serve their own suspension. So he could be suspended at the NHL and AHL.

From what I've heard Philly will be shipping him between the Phantoms and the NHL to serve the suspension. He will play all the Phantoms games, except if the AHL suspends him, and will be "called up" on days the Phantoms don't play and the Flyers do to serve his 20 games.

Hopefully he doesn't play and with a leap like that, that is only seen in ballet, he could pair up with the greatest diver of all time, Belfour and the two of them can do their own rendention of Swan Lake.

LOL!! :lol:

The kid is suspended at the AHL for a month starting tomorrow. He'll be eligible to play Nov. 3rd. Actually glad to see them take the right steps.

American Hockey League President and CEO David Andrews today announced the league

What to say about Steve Downie....

There is more than meets the eye with this kid.

He has unbelievable potential, but he always seems to squander it somehow... He is deaf in one ear, had to overcome a phenominal amount of hardships as a young kid, and yet still managed to make it into junior hockey and got drafted... His attitude presents a large problem as he has always, ALWAYS played with an edge. The hit he through was over the line by far, and he needs to be taught a lesson for sure...

This kid, once he gets straightened out, has the ability to put up alot of points in the NHL, but not until he learns his lesson about his attitude and his antics.

What to say about Steve Downie....

There is more than meets the eye with this kid.

He has unbelievable potential, but he always seems to squander it somehow... He is deaf in one ear, had to overcome a phenominal amount of hardships as a young kid, and yet still managed to make it into junior hockey and got drafted... His attitude presents a large problem as he has always, ALWAYS played with an edge. The hit he through was over the line by far, and he needs to be taught a lesson for sure...

This kid, once he gets straightened out, has the ability to put up alot of points in the NHL, but not until he learns his lesson about his attitude and his antics.

Playing with an edge is fine... AKA Sean Avery. He agitates, plays dirty and gets after people but thats his job on the team. On the way to doing that he accidentaly scores some goals. Some teams have an enforcer some have a guy that pisses the other players off. IMO I dont think Downie has the ability to put up a lot of points but he can definitely fill a role on a team. Glad to see the AHL take a stance on this...

On one of the Canadian hockey sites I check daily, I added my two cents on a poll regarding Downie's suspension, pointing out that his 20-game ban is a wee bit on the lenient side. (Yes, Mr. G and I finally saw that hit on a recent episode of "SportsCenter," and were horrified how filthy that hit was. :angry: )

Playing with an edge is fine... AKA Sean Avery. He agitates, plays dirty and gets after people but thats his job on the team ...

Another of Avery's duties, as he apparently saw it, was to f*** up his own team's locker room. That's what he did during his three-plus years with the Kings, providing distraction after distraction with his confrontations with teammates, the Kings' coaching staff, the organization's front office, and the decidedly nonconfrontational hockey writers in Southern California. Although he's obviously a talented player with a solid scoring touch, he's definitely far more trouble than he's worth.

Jan/GSBG