The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
PeteMoss

Tailgating History

Actually, yes!, the first season they came to the then ESA they refused to allow tailgating - and so many people complained (read that "raised h-e double hockey sticks") that upper management opened up the parking lots. Funny, but around that time they hired James Cain as Chief Operating Officer - I believe it was mentioned at the time that they wanted someone familiar with the local populace and culture - obviously enough influential people thought that banning tailgating was "out of touch" with local cuture that words got to PK and something was done...

Funny you should mention Jim Cain, he'll be there tonight after returning from Denmark where he served as the US Ambassador. He can be credited with a lot of early influence with the organization.

You bring up a sad footnote in the history of the Caniac nation. Early pilgrims to the ESA were stoned for their beliefs and for eating pork (BBQ). Early on our ways were not understood by those who were in power. Here's a bit of little known history. Before this year, when you walked up one the parking lot roads, that runs perpendicular to Carter-Finley, on the side you could see a small unmarked 4x7 patch of soil. Many thought it was an unmarked grave from the the terrible Sabre wars of '06. Those still remain, but this particular plot of land is the resting place of one of the tailgating martyrs. It has since been paved over. Those were dark days prior to the Enlightenment. The clouds has since been lifted and we rejoice in the glory that is tailgating. In modern times, one is required to participate in the springtime rite of Playoff Tailgating, that precedes the annual casting out of the Devils, in order to be part of the Caniac Nation

You bring up a sad footnote in the history of the Caniac nation. Early pilgrims to the ESA were stoned for their beliefs and for eating pork (BBQ). Early on our ways were not understood by those who were in power. Here's a bit of little known history. Before this year, when you walked up one the parking lot roads, that runs perpendicular to Carter-Finley, on the side you could see a small unmarked 4x7 patch of soil. Many thought it was an unmarked grave from the the terrible Sabre wars of '06. Those still remain, but this particular plot of land is the resting place of one of the tailgating martyrs. It has since been paved over. Those were dark days prior to the Enlightenment. The clouds has since been lifted and we rejoice in the glory that is tailgating. In modern times, one is required to participate in the springtime rite of Playoff Tailgating, that precedes the annual casting out of the Devils, in order to be part of the Caniac Nation

Now that right there is funny folks!!!! As a 42 year veteran of the County of Wake IB sums it up nicely. Now onto to that cast out of the Devils thing.... GO CANES!!!!

Quick question about tailgating...if you use charcoal, where/how do you get rid of the remains on site? I don't think everyone uses gas, but I must admit I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to it. Thinking of trying to go up early today, though unfortunately the rest of our group will be too late to join us.

Quick question about tailgating...if you use charcoal, where/how do you get rid of the remains on site? I don't think everyone uses gas, but I must admit I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to it. Thinking of trying to go up early today, though unfortunately the rest of our group will be too late to join us.

you are responsible for dousing the flames (we use to carry bottled water for that) and PROPERLY disposing of the ashes (I say properly because one year someone thought it would be funny to put their trash and *edit* in the back of my pickup). I know it was no one in my party because it was loaded with beer cans and we don't drink.

Funny you mention the charcoal. The 1st year the Canes allowed tailgating they provided charcoal bins in the parking lots to dump hot charcoal ash. They didn't last long. I assume someone in the organization realized that we'all southern folk knew what to do at a tailgate. Nice Ice Boy! Go Canes

well played sir.

I too have wondered whether this is unique to Raleigh (for hockey). Tailgating is more-or-less expected where I grew up (Milwaukee for baseball, Green Bay for football).

Although it would seem complicated for a downtown arena, tailgating is common for Panthers football games in Charlotte.

I too have wondered whether this is unique to Raleigh (for hockey). Tailgating is more-or-less expected where I grew up (Milwaukee for baseball, Green Bay for football).

Although it would seem complicated for a downtown arena, tailgating is common for Panthers football games in Charlotte.

WE went to a Brewers game in the old County Stadium (just a few days after the death of the worker building the new stadium) and you are right about their tailgating. We parked across a freeway and walking across the pedestrian bridge noticed tailgaters everywhere and this was for a weeknight game. I can imagine a lot of brauts being consumed there. I just can't picture this ritual in too many NHL Hockey markets due to weather or parking constraints. How about firing up a bunch of grills in MSG's underground garage, might be a mass asphyxiation.

WE went to a Brewers game in the old County Stadium (just a few days after the death of the worker building the new stadium) and you are right about their tailgating. We parked across a freeway and walking across the pedestrian bridge noticed tailgaters everywhere and this was for a weeknight game. I can imagine a lot of brauts being consumed there. I just can't picture this ritual in too many NHL Hockey markets due to weather or parking constraints. How about firing up a bunch of grills in MSG's underground garage, might be a mass asphyxiation.

you have to make sure there are nothing but ranger fans down there before you do that one.