The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ref107

New Jersey Fans

Was it just me or was it almost dead silent in their stands for both game 1 and game 2? Even after the scoring of a goal it seemed quiet. Their boo's were barely heard and their cheers during the common songs were half hearted. I also saw a tonne of empty seats for the playoffs, despite the announcers saying it was a sell out in game 2.

So was it just me and my hearing going or perhaps the microphones that TSN was using just weren't powerful or was it actually quiet there?

nope, i agree. saw pockets of empty seats.

Empty seats are because of the 3 lounges, the restaurant, and the goal bar are all open during play. Most of the lower bowl has access for them and if you saw the upper level, there wasn't an empty seat. It was indeed a sellout and it was VERY loud. I have been to a ton of games and the crowd was electric almost the entire game. One thing that gets me mad about the Devils brodcasts', is that microphones always tone down the crowd noise and it really grinds my gears knowing that the crowd sounds quiet.

I think it was mentioned on the Devs HF boards that the "tempo" of the game from the 2nd half of the first period on killed the energy of the fans. I think both games were on record as a sellout, but there were lots of empty seats, and not just the late from commuting arriving 1/2 through the period empty seats. I wonder if it has anything to do with their constant playoff appearances, and/or their constant (last few years) exit of the playoffs. Hmm. Well we all know that the RBC will be rocking sunday and tuesday so thats all that matters in my books :)

maybe it was realitively quiet compared to the RBC ;):lol: If that's the case though, Dev fans need to worry about the game and not where the next drink is at. You can drink and sit in your seat I guess? oh well maybe its just different mind set between the fans. Besides, there are always "those people" on both sides. The ones wearing football jerseys and talking on the cell phones during the middle of the game, we should focus on whats up with those people more :lol:

Empty seats are because of the 3 lounges, the restaurant, and the goal bar are all open during play. Most of the lower bowl has access for them and if you saw the upper level, there wasn't an empty seat. It was indeed a sellout and it was VERY loud. I have been to a ton of games and the crowd was electric almost the entire game. One thing that gets me mad about the Devils brodcasts', is that microphones always tone down the crowd noise and it really grinds my gears knowing that the crowd sounds quiet.

That's respectable. I never thought of the special lounges available to fans. I was curious whether the microphones had anything do with the sound.

We have the same thing with the Champion's Club. Lots of empty seats when people are belly up to the bar or buffet.

Guess we will see the comparison Sunday night. I just don't think there will be that many empty seats for playoff hockey. Esp. since you can have the food and drinks delivered to you.

That's respectable. I never thought of the special lounges available to fans. I was curious whether the microphones had anything do with the sound.

We have the same thing with the Champion's Club. Lots of empty seats when people are belly up to the bar or buffet.

When the Devs scored the Pru Center roared like I never heard it before and I've been to plenty of games to know that it was a different sound when they scored.

maybe it was realitively quiet compared to the RBC ;):lol: If that's the case though, Dev fans need to worry about the game and not where the next drink is at. You can drink and sit in your seat I guess? oh well maybe its just different mind set between the fans. Besides, there are always "those people" on both sides. The ones wearing football jerseys and talking on the cell phones during the middle of the game, we should focus on whats up with those people more :lol:

EVERY arena has those kind of fans.

Guess we will see the comparison Sunday night. I just don't think there will be that many empty seats for playoff hockey.
Ummm, let's sellout the game first.... :rolleyes:

When the Devs scored the Pru Center roared like I never heard it before and I've been to plenty of games to know that it was a different sound when they scored.

EVERY arena has those kind of fans.

Where you there? 228 was loud, I enjoyed starting a lot of the chants.

Ummm, let's sellout the game first.... :rolleyes:

I was referring to the people who will be there, would be more interested in the game, I would hope anyways. That's why I said we will see on Sunday. At any rate Marcus brought this topic up its all his fault.

Oh, well then, that's different. Let the trash talking begin! :lol:

no need to trash talk, just get warmed up in the parking lot with some 12 oz curls and the broadcasts wont be able to drown out the noise.

I was referring to the people who will be there, would be more interested in the game, I would hope anyways. That's why I said we will see on Sunday. At any rate Marcus brought this topic up its all his fault.

Dont be too hard on Marcus, he's still in mourning. ;)

:lol:

its sold out

I'm so glad I scored a ticket to this game. Probably the greatest game I've ever been to was Game 2 in the 06 Semi Finals against Jersey. The one where Staal put one in with like .3 seconds on the clock to tie it up and Wallin clumsily put one in past Brodeur to win it. I just hope history repeats itself and we win the next two at home.

Apparently, the Devils know how loud it is the RBC compared to the Rock.

"Some people might find it chaotic, but I actually find it fun," John Madden said of playing in Carolina. "It's a really loud building. I don't if it's the way the building's designed, but it's a lot louder there than it is here. It's a good environment to have fun in."

Madden, I promise you it has nothing to do with the design.

Article link:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=418789

Adam Harris (99.9 FM The Fan) was at the game last night, and did a Live Blog throughout the game. His viewpoint was a little different, LOL:

7:20 pm - Not impressed with the Devils fans; nor their attendance

The announced crowd at "The Rock" for Game One was a sellout. Ha! Mike Maniscalco and I estimate at least 2,000 seats were empty on Wednesday. Right now it's ten minutes 'til face-off and the place isn't half-packed. Weak. As mentioned on Wednesday, traffic may be a factor, but it's hard to believe the roads are hindering this many fans.

As for the fans that are here:

-They didn't get loud during Game One unless there was a goal or a power play. The fans seem to be reactionary only, not getting rowdy until they're elated with something the Devils have done on the ice.

-While the Devils are playing the Canes, Jersey fans still feel inclined to chant "Rangers Suck!" during the game. Inferiority complex there Devils fans? You're the team with three Cups in the last decade or so, not NYR.

-Other chants include a "You Suck!" in unison during the "Hey Song." So it goes a little bit like this... Dah dah dah dah dah, HEY, YOU SUCK!. Also, while I'm accustomed to an "Oh!" or a "Red!" during the national anthem, NJ fans are constantly shouting "Devils!" or "Canes suck!" while the anthem is sung. Seems like a bit much, right?

I wish I could be at the Castle for a playoff game... I know it's going to be a super loud atmosphere. But next season, if we get back to the playoffs, you better believe I will be there! :)

I think it was mentioned on the Devs HF boards that the "tempo" of the game from the 2nd half of the first period on killed the energy of the fans. I think both games were on record as a sellout, but there were lots of empty seats, and not just the late from commuting arriving 1/2 through the period empty seats. I wonder if it has anything to do with their constant playoff appearances, and/or their constant (last few years) exit of the playoffs. Hmm. Well we all know that the RBC will be rocking sunday and tuesday so thats all that matters in my books :)

I noticed their attendance listed at 17,600 and for a new arena in a large market like that sounds a little 'soft"

I noticed their attendance listed at 17,600 and for a new arena in a large market like that sounds a little 'soft"

what is the capacity of their arena for hockey and didn't more rags fans than devils' fans show up in their last playoff run

We're starting to sound like Sabre fans around here with this whole topic. If I recall, it really annoyed us.

The announced crowd at "The Rock" for Game One was a sellout. Ha! Mike Maniscalco and I estimate at least 2,000 seats were empty on Wednesday. Right now it's ten minutes 'til face-off and the place isn't half-packed. Weak. As mentioned on Wednesday, traffic may be a factor, but it's hard to believe the roads are hindering this many fans.

Attendence goes by tickets sold, not by how many people are in the building. Many Rangers fans and ticket brookers purchased tickets expecting a Devils Rangers series, which looked very possible. Makes sense because the cheapest tickets at MSG were at least $80. So, they were stuck with those tickets. That is a reason why some of the seats were empty.

They didn't get loud during Game One unless there was a goal or a power play. The fans seem to be reactionary only, not getting rowdy until they're elated with something the Devils have done on the ice.

Part of the problem is that devils fans expect perfect hockey. We have made the playoffs 16 times in 17 years so the first round isn't anything special for us. The upper deck is loud its just the lower bowl prices out ($250+ per ticket) most of the rowdy fans

While the Devils are playing the Canes, Jersey fans still feel inclined to chant "Rangers Suck!" during the game. Inferiority complex there Devils fans? You're the team with three Cups in the last decade or so, not NYR.

I don't think any none devils fan, or even devils fans outside the area, understand how much we hate the rangers. rangers this rangers that. everybody is a rangers fan. rangers fans that live in NJ trade state loyalty for the big city. oh and by the way, its still 1994.

Also, while I'm accustomed to an "Oh!" or a "Red!" during the national anthem, NJ fans are constantly shouting "Devils!" or "Canes suck!" while the anthem is sung. Seems like a bit much, right?

That's just not true. Once in a while an idiot will say something but thats it.