The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
wilmingtoncanesfan

playoff fan/seating/standing/cheering etiquette

I agree fully with this too. This is the playoffs, we expect our team to be in the game for 60 minutes. We as fans need to be in our seats ready to cheer them on for all 60 minutes too. There is nothing I hate more than seeing all the fans trickle down the aisles 8 minutes into the period.

I can't stand late arrivals either but the failure of the RBC Center to address parking back-ups from Edwards Mill creates a lot of the late arrivals. Hopefully later playoff starts will help to eliminate some of it for tonights game.

I can't stand late arrivals either but the failure of the RBC Center to address parking back-ups from Edwards Mill creates a lot of the late arrivals. Hopefully later playoff starts will help to eliminate some of it for tonights game.

Oh yeah, I completely understand if traffic or work gets into the way and people arrive late to the arena. It drives me crazy though when people come in late to the 2nd, 3rd, and yes... sadly, even the overtime period.

I've got a few words for you...

-- Read the initial post and notice that the complaining began before the puck was dropped.

-- The poster is a STH and this is the first time they've had to deal with the complaint (also the 1st home playoff game).

-- It seems the poster did not recognize the person complaining, and given that the poster is a STH, this suggests the "whiner" was not an STH.

-- In addition to reading the posts that come before yours, I recommend trying to stand for once. The ensuing fallout will, no doubt, ensure that Brind'amour is no longer the only Rod in the arena, and hopefully it will prevent your digestive system from backing up into your throat and relieving itself in the form of an accusatory, self-righteous, not to mention downright jerky forum post.

[Edit] P.S. You sound like an owl :P ---- Who?

whoa a little touchy for someone so young

How do you know I was talking about you ? I made a point and all you have done is insult people.

It is called Ad hominem. Look it up and learn something.

i have no problem with late commers to games. I know parking or 1000 other things can contribute to that.

My beef is with the 2nd, 3rd and yes sadly overtime period late commers. 20 minutes is more than enough time to use the bathroom and refill your food or drink.

If you wait till 5 minutes left in the intermission, then of course you wont make it!

also, i understand that people complain about the traffic situation...but if more people would get off of Wade on Blue Ridge instead of Edwards Mill we wouldnt have that problem. I avoid edwards mill like the plauge.

The entrance on Trinity and Blue Ridge do not backup like edwards mill does.

Leave earlier. We know there will be traffic!

I hope your reading this sitting down

I am a STH in sect 119, 7th row I sometimes think I am one of the few regular people there. I like the people next to me, most of the other people are weird. I have nicknames for all of them. I do different things every game, sometimes mixed drinks, sometimes beer, sometimes a pretzel, sometimes peanuts, sometimes a prime rib sandwich, sometimes a hot dog, somtimes a white jersey, sometimes a black one, sometimes a regular shirt. I bring different people to the game. The others around me are so predictable. I tell others on the way to the game, what all the others are going to do, from the warm ups to the end of the game. I know when they are going to leave the seats, what they are going to get, what they will be wearing, I know when they yell and what they yell.

At the end of the row in front of me is what I call the Sit Down, Sit Down lady. She loves to say that, even when it is not called for, espically if that person is rooting for the other team, but her and her friend go beyond what is needed. It got the point one game we were all saying sit down sit down, when no one was standing, just to bust her. The guys were Flyer fans and got up and clapped when they scored, they were not obnoxious in any way, but she had to yell sit down sit down, Sunday she had her freind tell a guy to sit down, and he was standing at the wrong time, during play, but she then harrassed him to no end, telling him she was a STH since 99 BIG Deal, he stopped but she went on and on, I think they think they are authority figures and have the right to interject, just because her status as a STH

I say as long as everyone is standing then stand, but dont stand up needlessly during play, but when it is exciting, and others are standing, you got to stand to see, There was nothing better than game 7 06 and everyone in the lower level was standing.

ps one of the only consistent things I do is watch the between period stuff, then with 11 minutes left go do my thing and return to my seat before the drop of the puck, and I NEVER leave early, I pay enough for the seats, and have a 3 hr 15 min drive, ( I usally spend the night though so no need to rush out)

You guys need to look back a few pages and I think you'll find that most, if not all of these concerns have been brought up, discussed and beaten to death at one time or another on this board.

Most threads didnt end on good notes back then, and it doesnt look like this one is heading in a better direction. Keep the personal arguments off the board.

In my section 126 was alright we stood up most of the time the canes brought the puck to our part of the ice lol! It was a great time overall except for the loss of course. I am sitting in 126 tonight and I hope the same people are there. I can understand if someone asks u to sitdown, but only if it is one of those bozos that stand up during the middle of the game with their cell phone waiving their hand around. I tell those people to sit down because that is ridiculous they aren't even paying attention to the game. 1 thing I hate is when people have to get up during the middle of the game or near the end of the period I am just like are u kidding me I am trying to watch a game here one time this guy got up every 5 minutes literally we finally told him either he stays in his seat or he doesn't because he needs to make up his mind or else there is going to be a problem. GO CANES!!

or two gals discussing wedding plans three rows back!! lol

OMG! This happened to me one game several months ago. A company owns about 3-4 seats behind us, and ya never know who will be sitting there. One game, 3 girls were talking through the whole g-d game. By the 3rd, I turned to them and said "I'll give each of you $20 bucks to shut up and watch the game." I started to get my wallet out, but one girl responded "It'll take $50". I said, no way. However, they were deathly quiet the rest of the game.

Then, just before the playoffs, a guy was sitting there talking the folks next to me. He told the story about some woman who offered the girls in his firm money to be quiet. I turned around and admitted that I was the one. He shook my hand.

I do different things every game, sometimes mixed drinks, sometimes beer, sometimes a pretzel, sometimes peanuts, sometimes a prime rib sandwich, sometimes a hot dog, somtimes a white jersey, sometimes a black one, sometimes a regular shirt.

Let's get one thing clear, it is YOUR fault we lost the game Sunday. You don't know to wear your lucky jersey, have the same beverage, and eat the same food or the Canes will lose. You talk about the people around you being weird, look in the mirror my friend. The Canes can be 3 time zones away and my choice of hat will affect the team.

You get your act together by game time tonight.

OMG! This happened to me one game several months ago. A company owns about 3-4 seats behind us, and ya never know who will be sitting there. One game, 3 girls were talking through the whole g-d game. By the 3rd, I turned to them and said "I'll give each of you $20 bucks to shut up and watch the game." I started to get my wallet out, but one girl responded "It'll take $50". I said, no way. However, they were deathly quiet the rest of the game.

Then, just before the playoffs, a guy was sitting there talking the folks next to me. He told the story about some woman who offered the girls in his firm money to be quiet. I turned around and admitted that I was the one. He shook my hand.

Ok, thats funny. :lol:

my main beef is the people who use my section to cross from 319 to 321 while puck is in play. :angry: I really want to grab a couple of RBC cones, and block off the row in front of me.

ok, my $0.02 worth on this as a member of a family that's had season tickets (shared amongst the family) since the move from G-boro. it IS irritating when people stand up for the non obvious reasons (like cheering etc.) when the puck is in play.

( I once had a guy stand up and begin visiting with family members in the row behind him during the game, and he looked at me like I was the jerk for telling him to "sit the *expletive deleted* down!") but telling folks to sit down can be taken to the extreme - once had extra family w/ me sitting in a group in different seats and had a girl behind me tell me to "sit down!" when I stood up as the team was lining up for the national anthem! Of course I sat down and less than 10 seconds later stood right back up - turned around and said "you don't mind if I stand for THIS PART do you?" - that pretty much shut her up. I DO have an issue with the front row leaning forward - excluding very short people and children, leaning forward merely provides you with a clearer view of the deck below you - I'm of average height (very literally - I match the average height for males in the US), and I've sat in front row upper level seats before, and that's ALL leaning forward does, so unless you're amongst the vertically challenged or under 10, please don't do it!! My biggest beef is those who come in during a stoppage in play and can't seem to find their seats and go ahead and sit down, I understand people that aren't familiar with the arena, but DANG! it ain't that hard once you get to the section - find your seat and sit! As far as late arrivals - well, I have 2 kids that play on a local youth hockey team, and we've been late to games because of practices or afternoon games, and oh well - that's life - just find your seat during a "logical stoppage in play" and get there - that's all that's asked by anyone!

I agree. There is no excuse to get up while the puck is in play. NONE.

Need a beer? Need to Pee? Need to smoke?

INTERMISSION is just that! Or wait for the little red light on the Scorers (sp?) table to turn on. I have never had an issue getting a beer/bathroom during a commercial break! But i know not everyones seat allows that.

Got a crying baby? Its a hockey game, there is no crying in hockey!

There is no crying in hockey, unless you're Marty Brodeur, stick breaker extraordinaire.

Let's get one thing clear, it is YOUR fault we lost the game Sunday. You don't know to wear your lucky jersey, have the same beverage, and eat the same food or the Canes will lose. You talk about the people around you being weird, look in the mirror my friend. The Canes can be 3 time zones away and my choice of hat will affect the team.

Okay obxcaneadian, if you were at the game last night, you now know what the proper jersey, beverage, and food choices needed to pull off a victory. Since Ms. superdave and a friend used my tickets last night, I watched at home. I was wearing a white long sleeve Canes T-shirt and a white Canes hat. You can bet the farm that I'll be wearing the same on Thursday night (but it is an away game....that may factor in).

You MUST conform. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated into the Canes Collective.

I guess somebody did! Very funny post, LOL.

Are you kidding, this isn't baseball, it isn't a chess match. Stand up and rally the team. I was yelling at the TV because the fans weren't giving the Devils players a hard enough time. The only thing people should remember is to be courteous to those around you, but it's a game, go have fun!

OK, I am all about going crazy and cheering for the team, but some people are just STUPID!!! I sit in section 116 on the side where it borders 117. Last night 2 ladies were coming down the stairs in the middle of the powerplay and just stood there in front of us. The people in the row where these hags were standing got up as to let them into the row. One of the hags said I am trying to talk to someone over there. I then yelled sit down to them and the one lady gave me the dirtiest look. I laughed and waved my hand for them to move along. Stand up in the middle when everyone else is sitting down??? Duh?? The next time one of the ladies almost did the same thing, but sat down on the steps. I am totally fine with that and happy that she used some common sense and courtesy. I am glad she got the hint if not she would have been told to sit down once again.

Simple- Puck in play.= Sit down

It should be within most peoples capbility to yell/clap/blow horns while sitting down.

Puck in play- cannot enter section until there is a stoppage- It is up the the arena personnel to control this. Complain to the management if they don't /cannot.

This also should apply to getting up an d leaving while puck is in play.

I completely agree there are many more "undereducated in etiquette" fans in attendance in the playoffs. I am glad they bought tickets. I have no issue educating them in sitting down once the puck drops.

PS- try to remember how much revenue beer sales provide. If you would rather pay much higher ticket prices then ban beer.

Okay obxcaneadian, if you were at the game last night, you now know what the proper jersey, beverage, and food choices needed to pull off a victory. Since Ms. superdave and a friend used my tickets last night, I watched at home. I was wearing a white long sleeve Canes T-shirt and a white Canes hat. You can bet the farm that I'll be wearing the same on Thursday night (but it is an away game....that may factor in).

You MUST conform. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated into the Canes Collective.

Unfortunately, I was not at the game, I sold my tickets. But I finally put up my Hurricanes flag last night. I had it up during all the playoffs in 06. But I was on an upper deck, and the door shut behind me, and locked me out on the deck on the 2nd floor. It was no easy task getting down to the main level, but made it before game time. So i fixed the problem it was the lack of my Hurricanes flag the whole time :)

I hope that makes Smilin Bob stand proud and ...... :)

Sorry- but the reason we won was I did NOT drink any beer before or during the game and the wife had to go Nicotine Free as well.(forgot the cigs)

Drug Free= VIC -To-REE

LOL

Sorry- but the reason we won was I did NOT drink any beer before or during the game and the wife had to go Nicotine Free as well.(forgot the cigs)

Drug Free= VIC -To-REE

LOL

Did you make it all the way to the end of the game? I'm sure stock in Fosters is down today.