The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
brewboy

Canes playoffs in HD?

Thats how I feel also. Last year there were quite a few HD games. This year they are far and in between. I mean, whats the problem? :(

There were fewer HD games on Fox Sports last season than there were this season...and there were only 15 this season.

With no games in HD, it's a wonder why the Canes don't have more of a fan base outside of Raleigh. :wacko:

I think that people might be making the HD thing to big of a deal. The hurricanes are the hurricanes to me, put them on TV and i am happy. I would rather see every regular season game televised before they try to make potential playoff games HD.

I think that people might be making the HD thing to big of a deal.

Oh no you di-nt!

Hockey in HD is manna from heaven, the elixir of life, the fountain of youth, the Cup with your name written on it 50 thousand times. Hockey in HD is the clicks of the sticks, the swoosh of the passes, the flashes of the gloves, and the bodies into the boards. Hockey in HD is like finding a Cracker Jack in your box of prizes. Hockey in HD is dating a supermodel, and making the other supermodels jealously glance at your supermodel in envy. Hockey in HD is like being the millionth customer. Hockey in HD is like having a leadfoot driver in a Porsche zoom past you on the highway directly into the radar of a waiting patrolman, so that you get to gleefully wave at his pulled-over car as you pass. Hockey in HD is hockey you can feel, baby.

There is no comparison.

Oh no you di-nt!

Hockey in HD is manna from heaven, the elixir of life, the fountain of youth, the Cup with your name written on it 50 thousand times. Hockey in HD is the clicks of the sticks, the swoosh of the passes, the flashes of the gloves, and the bodies into the boards. Hockey in HD is like finding a Cracker Jack in your box of prizes. Hockey in HD is dating a supermodel, and making the other supermodels jealously glance at your supermodel in envy. Hockey in HD is like being the millionth customer. Hockey in HD is like having a leadfoot driver in a Porsche zoom past you on the highway directly into the radar of a waiting patrolman, so that you get to gleefully wave at his pulled-over car as you pass. Hockey in HD is hockey you can feel, baby.

There is no comparison.

Truth.

The fact that the majority of Ranger, Penguin, Boston games are in HD and the majority of Canes games are not says something. Sad when NJ fans get the game in HD up north, but we are stuck watching a broadcast that to me is typically worse than SD here.

I think that people might be making the HD thing to big of a deal. The hurricanes are the hurricanes to me, put them on TV and i am happy. I would rather see every regular season game televised before they try to make potential playoff games HD.

As others have said, there is really no comparison once you have watched Canes games in HD. I was watching the last regular season game against the Devils, which of course was SD-only on FS-CR, and my daughter came downstairs and asked what I was watching. When I told her, she was interested, but asked "Is it only in ugly-screen?" I had to laugh since I hadn't heard SD called that before, and I told her that yes, unfortunately it was not available in HD, but now that's the way I think of SD too. We watched anyway, of course, but it's almost torture compared to watching HD.

I have a supposedly "HD-only" Dish subscription, but that apparently allows SD on the alternate sports channels. Unfortunately, the posted workaround for channel 475 for Dish didn't work on my subscription, so I didn't get the 1st game of the playoffs (sounds like I didn't miss too much, but I still didn't want to miss it). Fox needs to get with the program and broadcast all Hurricanes games (playoffs especially) in HD. It really is an insult when you realize that Devils fans are getting all their 1st-round playoffs in HD.

As others have said, there is really no comparison once you have watched Canes games in HD. I was watching the last regular season game against the Devils, which of course was SD-only on FS-CR, and my daughter came downstairs and asked what I was watching. When I told her, she was interested, but asked "Is it only in ugly-screen?" I had to laugh since I hadn't heard SD called that before, and I told her that yes, unfortunately it was not available in HD, but now that's the way I think of SD too. We watched anyway, of course, but it's almost torture compared to watching HD.

I have a supposedly "HD-only" Dish subscription, but that apparently allows SD on the alternate sports channels. Unfortunately, the posted workaround for channel 475 for Dish didn't work on my subscription, so I didn't get the 1st game of the playoffs (sounds like I didn't miss too much, but I still didn't want to miss it). Fox needs to get with the program and broadcast all Hurricanes games (playoffs especially) in HD. It really is an insult when you realize that Devils fans are getting all their 1st-round playoffs in HD.

It takes a while for your eyes to pick up on the puck on SD. I know last night it took me a while to be able to follow the puck, just looks hazy. It's a shame we don't have good HD for our games like most everyone else.........

Oh no you di-nt!

There is no comparison.

Word

From what I've seen on DirecTV, every single playoff game so far was in HD....EXCEPT the FSN feed for us. What a joke.

FSN is making a joke of themselves. I doubt JR will be so inclined to extend their contract after a year or two (whenever it expires) if a lot of his fanbase is PO'ed @ Fox. They need to get their you know what together.

And who is the network just itching to give us a better deal?

Remember, Versus got the rights to the whole NHL for basically free (a share of the ad revenue). A far cry from the TV deals the other major sports enjoy. I'm just not sure there is anywhere else to go, I wish we had a better bargaining position.

And who is the network just itching to give us a better deal?

Remember, Versus got the rights to the whole NHL for basically free (a share of the ad revenue). A far cry from the TV deals the other major sports enjoy. I'm just not sure there is anywhere else to go, I wish we had a better bargaining position.

Not to mention that they are in the first year of a four year deal (according to Roger's link), so we're even more stuck with them. It will take a long time for the NHL overall to dig itself out of the hole they dug with the lockout (not that it was that great before). And I think HD is one key to it - I remember as a kid the biggest issue I had with following hockey was that it was hard to see the puck. Why do you think Fox tried the glowing puck? Unfortunately, it's a catch-22 where you need the HD to generate fans, but you can't justify HD without more fans (where fans = revenue to FSN). I like "ugly-screen", truer words were never spoken.

For the life of me I can't understand how a COLLEGE BASEBALL game on the CBS-College network is broadcast in HD (between Creighton and somebody for God's sake!) and an NHL playoff game is NOT! Come on, get it together FOXSPORTS. Of any sport, HD is needed in hockey to convey the speed and passion that defines it.

For the life of me I can't understand how a COLLEGE BASEBALL game on the CBS-College network is broadcast in HD (between Creighton and somebody for God's sake!) and an NHL playoff game is NOT! Come on, get it together FOXSPORTS. Of any sport, HD is needed in hockey to convey the speed and passion that defines it.

The key word (or acronym if you like) here is CBS. Waaaaaaay more money and resources than Fox Sports Carolinas.

^^^Paul Branecky also confirmed this on his blog. My only question is: why in the heck are they going to televise the HOME games in HD? I'm going to be at both those games. It would make logical sense to televise the away games in HD in my opinion.

Here is the contact info for Fox Sports:

Corporate Headquarters

Fox Sports Networks/Fox Sports Net

10201 West Pico Blvd., Bldg. 101

Los Angeles, CA 90035

ph: 310-369-1000

FSN office fax: 1-310-444-8681

fax: 1-310-969-6049

Web: www.foxsports.com

President, Fox Sports Net:

Tracy Dolgin

e-mail: tdolgin@foxsports.net

Senior Vice-President, Programming and Strategic Planning, Fox Sports Net:

Dan Harrison

e-mail: dharrison@foxsports.net

Chief Operating Officer, Fox Sports Net:

Randy Freer

e-mail: rfreer@foxsports.net

FSN South

100 Colony Sq Ste 408

1175 Peachtree St NE

Atlanta, GA 30361

ph: 1-404-230-7300 (#2 on menu)

fax: 1-404-230-7398

^^^Paul Branecky also confirmed this on his blog. My only question is: why in the heck are they going to televise the HOME games in HD? I'm going to be at both those games. It would make logical sense to televise the away games in HD in my opinion.

Great, games 3 and 6...home games! Everyone in the near by area should have there butts in the seats at the RBC center not watching at home. I know I will so this really doesn't help out too much. It's so hard to focus on the puck at the begining of games on SD. I love me some HD too. Better than nothing though I guess.

Great, games 3 and 6...home games! Everyone in the near by area should have there butts in the seats at the RBC center not watching at home. I know I will so this really doesn't help out too much. It's so hard to focus on the puck at the begining of games on SD. I love me some HD too. Better than nothing though I guess.

Actually, it's much better than nothing for me. Even when I go, I still record the games, because there are a number of things you can't see too well at the game, and of course, there are no replays (OK, very rarely on the jumbotron, but usually that's just used for advertising and other junk). So I usually go back over the high (or low) points of the games after coming home. I agree that away games would be the better option, but seeing we went from 0 HD games in round one to maybe 2, it's definitely an improvement.

Only 18,000 folks will be at the games. Hopefully that leaves some folks at home to watch in HD. Trying to build the fanbase right?

Well, I'm thinking there are more than 18,000 local fans, so this is good news for them! We'll be there this Sunday but not Thursdaythe following Sunday - but here's hoping it doesn't go that far! :)

EDIT: Or in other words what Richard said. :P