The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
brewboy

Canes playoffs in HD?

I have CI and the MSG+ HD channel is unavailable for me for some reason. I get the normal MSG+, but the HD channel says it's a blackout. I don't know what to do. Should I call DirecTV?

Anyone out there that has Dish know which channel will have Game 7 vs. New Jersey? It's not currently showing in my channel guide. I realize it's not an HD game, and that may be why I'm not seeing the correct channel (I have TurboHD).

Thanks.

It was announced today that FS Carolinas will be carrying Game 7 in HD.

(Good thing for Time Warner Cable customers, the HD feed may be the only way to see the game..... :P )

Anyone out there that has Dish know which channel will have Game 7 vs. New Jersey? It's not currently showing in my channel guide. I realize it's not an HD game, and that may be why I'm not seeing the correct channel (I have TurboHD).

Thanks.

Yep, it's going to be in HD, and it's still not listed. Not sure how they will squeeze it in, lots of baseball and basketball currently listed.

Yep, it's going to be in HD, and it's still not listed. Not sure how they will squeeze it in, lots of baseball and basketball currently listed.

It's great that I'm wrong about it being in HD since it was changed, but that makes me want to watch it even more (not that I wouldn't have anyway, but HD is so much nicer). I guess I'm going to have to keep checking the guide every couple hours. At least I can check the guide and program it remotely if they don't change it before I go to work tomorrow, but it would be nice to have the schedule firmed up.

Thanks.

It was announced today that FS Carolinas will be carrying Game 7 in HD.

(Good thing for Time Warner Cable customers, the HD feed may be the only way to see the game..... :P )

so does this mean it will be in HD on directv also? the game isn't listed at all yet. fs-cr and fs-cr (HD) are both still saying "to be announced"

It's great that I'm wrong about it being in HD since it was changed, but that makes me want to watch it even more (not that I wouldn't have anyway, but HD is so much nicer). I guess I'm going to have to keep checking the guide every couple hours. At least I can check the guide and program it remotely if they don't change it before I go to work tomorrow, but it would be nice to have the schedule firmed up.

Thanks.

Are you saying you can program it from work? I assume through the internet? Didn't know the Dish boxes that could do that were out.

It will probably update overnight. Otherwise, you (or others) could try setting a DishPass recording for "Hurricanes at Devils" or similar - the programming titles are in that format. Not sure if that would pick it up, but I'd think so.

Thanks.

It was showing up on 475 this morning. All the channels should show on Turbo even if not HD. (I also have it) it just does not work the other way around.

I have Time Warner Cable basic/broadcast package so I still will not be getting the game in HD. The only HD channels I get are local channels like CW, FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS. I've never seen a Charlotte Bobcats or Carolina Hurricanes game in HD.

I get most Carolina Panthers games in HD minus the ones on NFL Network and ESPN. I don't understand why Bobcats and Hurricanes games can't be on some kind of local channel, I think it would do wonders for the fan support.

I have Time Warner Cable basic/broadcast package so I still will not be getting the game in HD. The only HD channels I get are local channels like CW, FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS. I've never seen a Charlotte Bobcats or Carolina Hurricanes game in HD.

I get most Carolina Panthers games in HD minus the ones on NFL Network and ESPN. I don't understand why Bobcats and Hurricanes games can't be on some kind of local channel, I think it would do wonders for the fan support.

assuming you have an HD set, you could go and pickup a HD set top box and have them add the package to the account for a few days and then take it back. might only cost a couple of dollars.

as to the second part, that would mean interrupting local broadcasting and forfeiting those advertising dollars. that is not likely to happen, the network would expect the team to make up the difference and I don't see PK paying $3mil a game to have the games broadcast locally in HD.

assuming you have an HD set, you could go and pickup a HD set top box and have them add the package to the account for a few days and then take it back. might only cost a couple of dollars.

as to the second part, that would mean interrupting local broadcasting and forfeiting those advertising dollars. that is not likely to happen, the network would expect the team to make up the difference and I don't see PK paying $3mil a game to have the games broadcast locally in HD.

I'll just watch the game in SD, I've yet to justify paying extra for the same thing in HD that I'm already paying for in SD.

I understand that it would interrupt with their bottom lines, that's why Canes games can't be broadcast locally on the larger local channels, but I do not understand why we can't have a channel dedicated to our local sports that would air the Hurricanes/Bobcats games in HD along with various college games etc. If a Golf Channel can survive, surely a channel with all of our local sports can. Main problem would be that a lot of Canes and Bobcats games come on at the same time. And then you have the issue with the definition of "Local". Most seem to believe that the triad area is not a local market for the Bobcats, not sure if Raleigh feels the same way. I can understand that the Bobcats name their team after Charlotte and perhaps they only pursue that area for fans, but the 'Carolina Hurricanes' seem to be representative of the entire State of NC if not NC and SC.

Fox Sports basically does what I'm describing but they are not a local channel. FS Carolinas is more of a division of FS that shows some Carolina sports. I know Raycom Sports showed a lot of ACC sports and I got all of their broadcasts as an HD channel without having to pay more for digital broadcasts.

I realize it's unlikely there will ever be any change in this, but I can still hope. At least I get the game in SD. My brother has DirectTV in Winston-Salem area and all Bobcats games shown on FSCarolinas are blacked out because of some FS Timewarner deal.

as my screen name suggests i live in the charlotte area(guess i should update to "unioncountycane" now since just buying a house in indian trail). regardless, the hd channels on time warner are most def worth the xtra coin per month. i'll be sitting back watching glorious game 7 on channel 263 as opposed to channel 40. the sd fox sports carolinas channel looks especially poopy when the broadcast away games in non-hd...

Are you saying you can program it from work? I assume through the internet? Didn't know the Dish boxes that could do that were out.

It will probably update overnight. Otherwise, you (or others) could try setting a DishPass recording for "Hurricanes at Devils" or similar - the programming titles are in that format. Not sure if that would pick it up, but I'd think so.

Yes, if you have certain DVR models (I have the ViP-722), after you do some setup and some verification, you can access the DVR from the internet. Very handy. I can even do it from my iPod touch, as long as I have wireless access.

Yes, it looks like the channel was finally updated, and it's on one of the HD alternate sports channels as usual (442 as you posted), so I just programmed it.

Thanks.

It was showing up on 475 this morning. All the channels should show on Turbo even if not HD. (I also have it) it just does not work the other way around.

Maybe it's because I have ONLY TurboHD and HD locals, not any of the "top 100" or other similar packages. The HD local channels include the SD versions of the local channels, including the regional sports networks, but I get pretty much nothing else other than HD, which is what I wanted. Unfortunately, 475 is not in my lineup. I asked about this after the first game was on 475, and I didn't get a satisfactory answer, but I assume it has something to do with what packages I have/don't have.

In reality, I wouldn't watch SD for anything but the Hurricanes anyway, and 60 or so HD channels is plenty for me, so most of the time, it's not a big loss.

In any case, since tonight's game showed up on 442, I'm all set.

Thanks.

I'll just watch the game in SD, I've yet to justify paying extra for the same thing in HD that I'm already paying for in SD.

I understand that it would interrupt with their bottom lines, that's why Canes games can't be broadcast locally on the larger local channels, but I do not understand why we can't have a channel dedicated to our local sports that would air the Hurricanes/Bobcats games in HD along with various college games etc. If a Golf Channel can survive, surely a channel with all of our local sports can. Main problem would be that a lot of Canes and Bobcats games come on at the same time. And then you have the issue with the definition of "Local". Most seem to believe that the triad area is not a local market for the Bobcats, not sure if Raleigh feels the same way. I can understand that the Bobcats name their team after Charlotte and perhaps they only pursue that area for fans, but the 'Carolina Hurricanes' seem to be representative of the entire State of NC if not NC and SC.

Fox Sports basically does what I'm describing but they are not a local channel. FS Carolinas is more of a division of FS that shows some Carolina sports. I know Raycom Sports showed a lot of ACC sports and I got all of their broadcasts as an HD channel without having to pay more for digital broadcasts.

I realize it's unlikely there will ever be any change in this, but I can still hope. At least I get the game in SD. My brother has DirectTV in Winston-Salem area and all Bobcats games shown on FSCarolinas are blacked out because of some FS Timewarner deal.

someone would have to pony up the money for it and be fairly certain that ad revenue would be there. Raycom has been around forever and has always done college stuff, I wouldn't think they would switch to Canes. Too many college alums have influence over Raycom and if they have a choice of broadcasting decision of say Canes or ACC football then they will do football.

I felt the same way as you did on spending the money for HD until one day I was watching the discovery channel in HD. that for me made it worth it. never watched that channel until i got my HD setup.

so does this mean it will be in HD on directv also? the game isn't listed at all yet. fs-cr and fs-cr (HD) are both still saying "to be announced"

I checked my DirecTV program guide this morning and it's showing up now - 645 for SD and 645-1 for HD (at least in the Raleigh area).

Yeah, somebody did pony up for a local Carolinas sports channel that did almost exactly what you are describing (except it didn't show Hurricanes games because Fox Sports already had a deal with them). It was called C-SET, and it ran for about 15 months, during the Bobcats first year in Charlotte, and it failed MISERABLY!!! Bob Johnson, the Bobcats owner, is still licking his wounds from that decision 3-4 years later, and it's one of the reasons the Bobcats are bleeding money, because they lost so much money trying to start up that network, rather than cut a deal with Fox Sports to broadcast the games (which they finally got done towards the end of Year 4......of course, they had to name their arena "Time Warner Cable Arena" in order to get the deal done).

Long story short, what you are describing would never make any money in this market, certainly not as a local channel in the same vein as an ABC, CBS, NBC, etc....