The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Starbucks

No Sell Out at Boston Either

I'm sure they will eventually sell out. Keep in mind that they are also competing with the Celtics in the playoffs, and a Red Sox home stand.

Perhaps you would like to compare the population within 100 miles of Boston compared to Raleigh.

Gimme a break!

The Bruins can't sell out?

OMG~WORST FANS IN HOCKEY! WHAT KIND OF LAME FRANCHISE CAN'T SELL OUT A PLAYOFF GAME?? THE NHL HAS NO BUSINESS BEING IN A MARKET THAT WON'T SUPPORT IT!! THOSE REDNECK FANS WOULD RATHER WATCH NASCAR! THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN IN HARTFORD!!

Wait, what?

I'm sure they will eventually sell out. Keep in mind that they are also competing with the Celtics in the playoffs, and a Red Sox home stand.

Just an excuse...as much hype as people try to make about the Bruins they'll still always be 4th fiddle to the Pats, Sox and Celtics.

I just do not understand where the Boston area gets it's superiority complex from. Sure the Pats won something a few years ago and the Celtics bought a Championship last year(the Bruins will not have to worry about competing with the Celtics after Saturday). I'll give it to the Red Sox though, they've been solid year after year for the past few years.

It's laughable to look at the website for the Globe and see how confident their writers are that the Bruins are gonna "Raze Canes". Give me the quiet confidence of this area over that *edit* any day.

*edit* = poo that starts with a C (what's up with that word being edited?)

*edit* = poo that starts with a C (what's up with that word being edited?)

It's been an edit, and I have no idea why either.

I just do not understand where the Boston area gets it's superiority complex from.

It's a pent up reaction of much success after years of an inferiority complex stemming from:

1) 86 Years without winning a World Series

2) Some really bad Patriots teams, and the best one of the bunch being embarrassed in the most famous Super Bowl blowout of all time

3) The deaths of Len Bias and Reggie Lewis, Larry Bird's retirement, Rick "Kevin McHale ain't walkin' through that door" Pitino, and some pretty notorious tank jobs by the Celtics

4) The B's mailing it in for the better part of a decade

And "superiority complex" or not, Boston has some great fans who care about their teams. Most of the annoying ones (because not all of them are jerks) are total bandwagoners. The annoying non-bandwagoners are just getting the giddiness out of their system because the Boston sports fan had had little to cheer about for so long.

In 06, I bought lower level seats on Ticketmaster for Game 7 against Buffalo (Eastern Conf. Finals) on the morning of the game.

I don't cast stones anyone's way about not being able to sell out.

In 06, I bought lower level seats on Ticketmaster for Game 7 against Buffalo (Eastern Conf. Finals) on the morning of the game.

I believe that's the point Bob aka superdave. The Boston poster cast stones when they aren't sold out either.

we are aware of our "shortcomings" (no pun intended) but it seems we get slammed on account of it. everytime we don't sell out a came we seem to get a troll on here stating that the team is moving to either Charlotte or Winnipeg.

I'd be willing to bet your situation was a case where we had to hold a certain number of tickets for the player families of the visiting team to use, and you got lucky and happened to be online when those tickets were dumped back into the ticketmaster system. Those games against Buffalo were packed to the gills, even if hundreds (or maybe thousands, if you listen to a Buffalo fan tell the story :) ) of tickets were bought by Sabres fans.

Just goes to show you how bad the economy is right now. Stinks having to sit home and watch on TV during the Cup playoffs!! At least they aren't stuck with Bev Perdue!! :angry:

Seriously, another "cant sell your building out" thread? I need to check my zip code and make sure Im not in Buffalo :rolleyes:

You guys are killing me.

we are aware of our "shortcomings" (no pun intended) but it seems we get slammed on account of it. everytime we don't sell out a came we seem to get a troll on here stating that the team is moving to either Charlotte or Winnipeg.

For the record, we had a total of 2 trolls during the NJ series. One was a returning account that was banned awhile back and the other you guys probably missed since he/she banned quickly.

Only post I've read about moving the Canes to Charlotte came from a Cane's fan living in Charlotte. ;)

Just goes to show you how bad the economy is right now. Stinks having to sit home and watch on TV during the Cup playoffs!! At least they aren't stuck with Bev Perdue!! :angry:

Yeah they could be stuck with some Repub...oh wait! Go Canes!

It's a pent up reaction of much success after years of an inferiority complex stemming from:

1) 86 Years without winning a World Series

2) Some really bad Patriots teams, and the best one of the bunch being embarrassed in the most famous Super Bowl blowout of all time

3) The deaths of Len Bias and Reggie Lewis, Larry Bird's retirement, Rick "Kevin McHale ain't walkin' through that door" Pitino, and some pretty notorious tank jobs by the Celtics

4) The B's mailing it in for the better part of a decade

And "superiority complex" or not, Boston has some great fans who care about their teams. Most of the annoying ones (because not all of them are jerks) are total bandwagoners. The annoying non-bandwagoners are just getting the giddiness out of their system because the Boston sports fan had had little to cheer about for so long.

You're in my head. Was just about to post exactly this.

For the record, we had a total of 2 trolls during the NJ series. One was a returning account that was banned awhile back and the other you guys probably missed since he/she banned quickly.

Only post I've read about moving the Canes to Charlotte came from a Cane's fan living in Charlotte. ;)

i am aware of that but every time there seems to be a thread about attendance it is shortly followed by "Canes move to Winnipeg/Charlotte", etc. I am glad to see other teams having issues.

Boston and Carolina are very different markets with similar attendance. This season, Boston ranked 16th in the league in attendance (17,039 avg.) and Carolina 20th (16,572 avg.). Capacity at the venues is similar, B's 18,620 sellout and Canes 18,680 sellout. Go back to last season and the Canes were also 20th in attendance @ 16,633 avg. and Boston was 26th @ 15,384. My opinion is that it is the difference in management between the two teams that leads to this situation. The steady approach of the Canes and not sure what you call Boston over most of the last decade. Boston is a more natural hockey market compared to Carolina- they are one of the original 6!- with college and high school hockey big in the area and Boston is a larger metro population, so there is greater expectation for what attendance "should be" in Boston compared to Carolina. Their attendance should grow next year and beyond, as long as their management takes an approach more like the one of the Canes and maintains continuity with their incredible core of players. The Canes also have a bright future, especially if we get to the playoffs with more regularity. So, here's looking to bright attendance futures for both teams and for not tearing one or another city down when situations are similar although for much different reasons.

The Boston area has a long standing base of building young hockey players/fans. The Canes are just starting this process. When today's mighty mites become fans and - just maybe, players - there will be a solid fan base for decades to come. And then there will be a discussion on an arena to replace the RBC Center.

The Boston area has a long standing base of building young hockey players/fans. The Canes are just starting this process. When today's mighty mites become fans and - just maybe, players - there will be a solid fan base for decades to come. And then there will be a discussion on an arena to replace the RBC Center.

I'll drink to that. I was going to mention something along these lines in the 99.9 thread where it seems a lot of listeners are tired of hearing kids get through on the postgame. If you want to take a positive away from it, those kids will be paying customers 10 years from now. Yeah it's only a handful of kids who call in, but other kids hear them on the radio on their ride home, so you know they talk about hockey at school. That just sounds weird to me - kids talking about hockey at school in North Carolina.

OT: I grew up here but was exposed to hockey around 9 years old; my dad lived near D.C. and we went to a lot of Caps games, so I got a good 4 years of exposure to the sport. I had a nice Capitals ballpoint pen that I got a lot of signatures with (Hunter, Dino, Hatcher, etc). Anyway, when I used the pen at school, I had a couple friends who wanted to buy/barter the pen from me. I always said to them, "Dino used this pen, you're gonna have to give me more than that" to which they'd always respond "I don't care who used it - it's a nice pen." Somehow I think that story would go differently today. Says a lot about how far hockey has come in this area.

\,,,those kids will be paying customers 10 years from now. Yeah it's only a handful of kids who call in, but other kids hear them on the radio on their ride home, so you know they talk about hockey at school. That just sounds weird to me - kids talking about hockey at school in North Carolina.

The day after the Shock at the Rock game, Little Storm told me that lots of kids were wearing Canes shirts at school. "Lots?" I asked.

"Yes."

"Was there more people wearing Canes stuff than kids wearing UNC stuff the day after they won the National Championship?"

"Oh yeah, definitely." :blink: