The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Where's the League??

I saw that too and was "Woah...you CAN'T do that"....you are talking about the one behind the net right...

Maybe it's been lost in the excitement over last night's great win, but I've gotta ask: If the NHL is so supposedly serious about stopping hits to the head, why have we heard nothing about a possible suspension for Malik Lucic after he used Seidenberg's head like a basketball last night, repeatedly, in the same sequence? I saw four purposeful hits to the head which caused Dennis's dome to hit the ice, three with the hands and and one from Lucic's knee.

To self-proclaimed purists who claim "That's hockey" (this means you, Don Cherry, you idiot), I say bulls*it - just watch Seidenberg's reaction, and that from one of the most level-headed, non-retaliatory Dmen in the league.

It's another example of Bettman talking the talk and failing to walk it.

I saw that too and was "Woah...you CAN'T do that"....you are talking about the one behind the net right...

Yup. Seidenberg was so hot he tried to pull Lucic down by the leg. Funny how they only showed the sequence once. 10 to 1 Bettman was on the phone immediately ordering, "Don't show it again." FoxCarolinas should hammer the *edit* out of it until action is taken.

Not to mention that when Lucic got up, he stomped his skate blade into Seid's back.....that is what drew Staal into the fray there. NO CALL. NOTHING>

What??!! Suspend Lucic and risk the all Original 6 match-up in the Stanley Finals?? No Freaking way! You people in the south just don't get it. Another reason why Raleigh does not deserve a team!

Seriously though. He was already suspended one game in round 1 against Montreal. Seems like he should fall in the repeat offender catergory. Maybe we need to have Lindros in charge of "head-hunting" division of the NHL.

What??!! Suspend Lucic and risk the all Original 6 match-up in the Stanley Finals?? No Freaking way! You people in the south just don't get it. Another reason why Raleigh does not deserve a team!

Ha-ha...nice try, but we're not taking the bait...

That may be tongue-in-cheek, but my brother in law in Mt. Airy is hoping for just that: A BOS-CHI final. I told him he didn't deserve to be a hockey fan.

That may be tongue-in-cheek, but my brother in law in Mt. Airy is hoping for just that: A BOS-CHI final. I told him he didn't deserve to be a hockey fan.

He can be a hockey fan, just not IN THIS STATE. :lol::lol: If he likes the OSix so much, tell him he should move to balmy Chicago, Boston or Detroit! We'll see how much he likes it THEN...

whats his name? I'm originally from Mt. airy/Dobson. Used to get in quite a bit of trouble up there too.

Not to mention that when Lucic got up, he stomped his skate blade into Seid's back.....that is what drew Staal into the fray there. NO CALL. NOTHING>

Yeah, pushing Seids head into the ice should have gotten him a roughing penalty. The kick should have gotten him booted from the game and a suspension. It's unbelievable that nothing was called at all. Those are the kinds of things the refs need to step in and call before they completely lose control of the game and players start getting injured.

Though I guess since we're all a bunch of rednecks that know nothing of hockey and were probably too busy watching NASCAR we wouldn't know any better, right? <_<

whats his name? I'm originally from Mt. airy/Dobson. Used to get in quite a bit of trouble up there too.

He's a Snow. North Surry, 38 y/o. HAHAHA, Dobson. That was the first town I moved to in NC. Talk about a culture shock. I do like little Dobson though. I work in Mt. Airy 2X a week. In fact, I'm there now.

Game 2 was so biased it wasn't even funny - it was sickening actually. There were so many no calls that I was absolutely furious by the end of the game and LaRose's no goal finished it off for me. But we won right? So it doesn't matter... Of course it matters! Both teams should be held to the same standards! I just hope that Game 3 is refereed in a more balanced manner.

I read a lot of hf boards to see what neutral fans are thinking. Boston is fouling the heck out of the Canes and nothing is being called. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's just me seeing what I want to see, but it seems that the harder we hit, the less the opps hit. Eaves, Bayda, Cole, Walker, and of course Ruutu and Gleason are going to have to take care of Lucic if the league and the refs don't. It just seems to me that when we hit, we play better. Chara may hurt us worse than we hurt him, but humans aren't interested in dealing out a little more punishment than they take, humans don't want to take any punishment. Just my take on it but if Bruins know that they are going to get the secondary hit like Wideman got last night, they will be less interested in exposing themselves to hits like that. The only way to avoid those hits is to play hockey instead of hoodlum.

I got a feeling the NHL is not going to make any calls that would give the canes any type of advantage. Hence the refs wonderful job in game two. Hopefully we get calls like that at home.

Sorry, but at some point, you've just got to say: "It's the playoffs"

Seidenberg had the puck under him, trying to get a whistle. The Bruins were swarming around the zone, trying to get something going, and the last thing they wanted was a whistle. So, when it became obvious that the puck wasn't coming out, Lucic gave him a couple extra shots. It's no different than the shots during the scrums around the goalie after a save.

Regular season, it might get called. It might even be given a look if enough hype was thrown around in the media. But in the playoffs, nothing doing. I'm not happy about it, but it's the way things are.

You know, I wasn't too concerned with the one-sided refereeing last night until I read this post. And you are absolutely right. Lucic was literally assaulting DBerg.

Yeah, as a rule, I try not to complain about calls. It is what it is and you keep playing. (Which, by the way, the Canes did a GREAT job of last night.) One of the reasons I gladly ditched the Flyers (even before moving to NC) is a general tendency among fans in the Northeast (and I'm talking Boston to Philly) to give their team all the credit when it wins and to complain about the officiating when it loses. They whine like Newt Gingrich after Clinton tossed him off Air Force One.

What Lucic did was less about officiating than about a STATED INTEREST on the part of the LEAGUE to get cheapshots out of the game. Nobody held a gun to Bettman's head and told him he had to say that, but he did. So here we had four shots to the head in ONE PLAY, and a stomp - both of which have warranted suspension before - and not a peep from the Commish. Nice job, Gary, you chicken**** wimp!

Sorry, but at some point, you've just got to say: "It's the playoffs"

Seidenberg had the puck under him, trying to get a whistle. The Bruins were swarming around the zone, trying to get something going, and the last thing they wanted was a whistle. So, when it became obvious that the puck wasn't coming out, Lucic gave him a couple extra shots. It's no different than the shots during the scrums around the goalie after a save.

Regular season, it might get called. It might even be given a look if enough hype was thrown around in the media. But in the playoffs, nothing doing. I'm not happy about it, but it's the way things are.

Sorry, Ice Frog, but that's like saying a guy can take another player by the nape of the neck and mash his face into the crossbar a couple times, "Because it's the playoffs," which of course would not be tolerated.

You need to watch Seidenberg's head on the replay. It bounces. Literally.

No, I'm saying those sort of extra shots and hits to the head have happened throughout the playoffs so far and rarely anything's done about it. To expect anything different just because it's "our guy" is to expect too much.

Sorry, Ice Frog, but that's like saying a guy can take another player by the nape of the neck and mash his face into the crossbar a couple times, "Because it's the playoffs," which of course would not be tolerated.

You need to watch Seidenberg's head on the replay. It bounces. Literally.

After he got up and stepped on him, put his skate blade in his back, probably has a mark from that one, some from the Bruins boards are joking about it, and some of them can't believe their was not a penalty or more.

I am a firm believer in let them play, I grew up playing that way, But this is the "NEW NHL" and they need to be consistent, if not we have someone do it, and get a penalty and or a suspension

No, I'm saying those sort of extra shots and hits to the head have happened throughout the playoffs so far and rarely anything's done about it. To expect anything different just because it's "our guy" is to expect too much.

Very true Frog,, but i bet if it was Crosby of Oven-chicken it would have been called. I does make it even sweeter winning when the chips are stacked against you. I just hope no one gets hurt with the "it's the playoffs" mentality that is out there. It needs to be called both ways if its truely the playoff way.

He's a Snow. North Surry, 38 y/o. HAHAHA, Dobson. That was the first town I moved to in NC. Talk about a culture shock. I do like little Dobson though. I work in Mt. Airy 2X a week. In fact, I'm there now.

wow i didnt know anyone in surry county knew hockey existed. I've bounced back and forth between Raleigh and Dobson since i was born. Dad lives in Dobson Mom in Raleigh. Don't know any snow's that are cops though. He probably knows me, I used to be very hard headed.

And yes Dobson is like no where else. wow is all i have to say, haha I live in brier creek in Raleigh with my mom who is a CFO of a pharm. company, it's a very nice neighboorhood. My dad lives in a trailer park in Dobson and works construction. Talk about the opposite end of the spectrum.

As long as our hypocritical league allows refs to call and ignore what they want in the playoffs they are never going to gain more respect in professional sports.