The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Where's the League??

As long as our hypocritical league allows refs to call and ignore what they want in the playoffs they are never going to gain more respect in professional sports.

Ding.

Lucic is a steaming pile of human excrement, but he'll eventually get his due.

I'm I missing something or did Donald Brashear just get a 5-game suspension for his "questionable" hit to the head, while leading with the elbow. I guess the league CAN say they are making calls for hits to the head. I agree somewhat with what IceFrogg said about it happening in the trenches and not getting called. But to just shrug it aside as "playoff" hockey and get over it seems a little naive to me. The league, i.e. Bettman said the league is concerned, but how bad does a player have to get hurt, or worse, for them to be consistent on those calls? JR brought that concern to the league and so far, I don't see any drastic changes on the ice.

Of course the hitting is stepped up in the playoffs but Lucic was delivering cheap shots. He may have talent but he is still a head hunting goon. Of course the league would love to see Boston advance versus us cause they are a large market team but I don't think there is a conspiracy theory. The refs are letting alot of stuff go and we just have to keep fighting through it. I would love to see a big Ruutu hit on Lucic. (I don't know how to spell the dirty, head hunters name)

Lucic already had a game suspension, so I guess the league are "wary" of dishing out anymore punishment to him. I guess we will have to dish it to him ourselves.

I wished the NHL wouldn't wait until the post season to allow all the bush league reffing. Sure would make for more interesting entertainment.

I wished the NHL wouldn't wait until the post season to allow all the bush league reffing. Sure would make for more interesting entertainment.

I missed both games due to work, but if Whalers mad about reffing something must be going terribly wrong.

After he got up and stepped on him, put his skate blade in his back, probably has a mark from that one, some from the Bruins boards are joking about it, and some of them can't believe their was not a penalty or more.

I am a firm believer in let them play, I grew up playing that way, But this is the "NEW NHL" and they need to be consistent, if not we have someone do it, and get a penalty and or a suspension

Let's remember that it was Seids who cleanly hit Beregeron during the regular season game in Boston that gave Beregeron the concussion and put him out for quite awhile. Teammates remember those things and may delay retaliation. Refs are usually aware of those types of situations as well and, if this is an isolated incident with Dennis in this series, let it go as there was no penalty months ago to Dennis (of course, rightfully so). Being in the playoffs just gives a bit more exclamation to Lucic's message. However, if another liberty occurs against a Cane without a call, someone or several guys need to get dirty right back and show they won't be pushed around. Not that that's what I want to watch, but if something happens again without the Canes retaliating they'll begin to get pushed around and out muscled on the ice and that will not lead to winning games. And that is what I think we all like to see, Canes Wins!

Just a note. We must be seeing things because it appears from the other fans boards the incident didn't take place. If it had of taken place, it was Seids fault for holding Lucic's leg. Funny how things are viewed differently depending on who you pull for.

No, I'm saying those sort of extra shots and hits to the head have happened throughout the playoffs so far and rarely anything's done about it. To expect anything different just because it's "our guy" is to expect too much.

It's got nothing to do with it being "our guy," IceFrog. If Gleason or Babs or Staal had done it I'd be calling for league action just as loudly. The 'Canes are my team, but I think my record of posts on these boards speaks to my neutrality when it comes to officiating.

Again, there's a difference between "extra shots" at the goal crease or coming out of the corner and bouncing someone's head on the ice repeatedly, then stomping on his back. To suggest that it's OK to dole out concussions simply because the playoffs are here is ridiculous. Lucic clearly learned nothing from his suspension in the last series, and he should continue to be suspended until he (1) changes his behavior, or (2) opts for a career in the UFC - with the other goons.

The league just doesn't care about hits to the head unless someone is injured. It's like only prosecuting a drunk driver if he kills someone.

I agree with this 100%. Case in point: Brashear delivers a late headshot on Betts, Betts ends up with a concussion and broken orbital bone, and Brashear is suspended for 6 games. Brown (ANA) delivers a similarly bad hit on Hudler, Hudler does leave a pint of blood on the ice, but it's really a superficial wound and after getting stiched up he returns to the game, and while Brown even gets a game misconduct for the hit, he doesn't get suspended at all.

Let's remember that it was Seids who cleanly hit Beregeron during the regular season game in Boston that gave Beregeron the concussion and put him out for quite awhile.

Uhhhh, Bergeron went to hit Dennis and somehow ended up with a concussion himself. I doubt that this was any kind of calculated payback act, more likely Lucic just losing his cool and/or trying to send a message

Well what does that have to do with the officials decision about this situation?

They are aware of the earlier incident and allow the "policing" to occur on the ice, usually just one instance. The refs for this series will review issues between the teams from both regular season and this series. This type of situation happens all the time during the regular season and hockey players openly acknowledge that they take numbers and do not always retaliate within a single game, that's part of the game.

Uhhhh, Bergeron went to hit Dennis and somehow ended up with a concussion himself. I doubt that this was any kind of calculated payback act, more likely Lucic just losing his cool and/or trying to send a message

They are aware of the earlier incident and allow the "policing" to occur on the ice, usually just one instance. The refs for this series will review issues between the teams from both regular season and this series. This type of situation happens all the time during the regular season and hockey players openly acknowledge that they take numbers and do not always retaliate within a single game, that's part of the game.

Sure we see the hit that way. The B's care about the result and Bergeron's history would make them more aware. Lucic would be the likely B's player to act as enforcer on this one. Would he have #4 in the back of his mind looking to provide a questionable hit? probably. The opportunity presented itself during the playoffs to give Seids a head shot, so Lucic got a two-fer on his message.

Now, if similar hits continue someone has to take action and if not the officials it will be on the shoulders of the Canes players to rise up.

I just don't buy into the retaliation factor in this particular instance.

I just don't buy into the retaliation factor in this particular instance.

Can it be proven? No. But could it be more than coincidence that Seids is our player who receives that cheap shot? Yes, and that is what I thought when it happened. When I listen to enforcers talk about their role on a team, it amazes me to hear how calculated they really are in their actions when to fans it appears to be shear aggression.

Can it be proven? No. But could it be more than coincidence that Seids is our player who receives that cheap shot? Yes, and that is what I thought when it happened. When I listen to enforcers talk about their role on a team, it amazes me to hear how calculated they really are in their actions when to fans it appears to be shear aggression.

I guarantee you his teammates are not looking to retaliate on Seidenberg for Bergeron trying to hit him. Bergeron just knows what it feels like to hit the Berlin Wall and his teammates should have told him he was a dumb s**t.

I think you are missing the point. This was not a case of retaliation. If they wanted to retaliate then fight him or take a run at him. You don't smash someones head into the ice and step on him with your blade. Just ask the Panther player how deadly those things can be who got accidentally slashed a year and a half ago.

I missed both games due to work, but if Whalers mad about reffing something must be going terribly wrong.

Nah, it wasn't just about our last game. I have always been disgusted with NHL reffing and the league tolerating different standards for the playoffs in general and not just because of some non-calls against the Canes. Other than hockey, I can't think of any other pro sport that turns beer-league during playoffs or championship games because its governing body lets its officials call or ignore what the hell they want and, where the media and fans are actually fine with it because, well, that's just the way it is. Yea, I expect the intensity and tempers cranked up way high during the playoffs, even the tougher in-your-face battles for momentum, harder checks or players taking liberties but like the rest of the season I also expect everyone to be held accountable for their actions and not just have extra guys in stripes standing in the way. How respectable would you consider the NFL if it allowed their refs to ignore holding or clipping calls for the sake of the Superbowl, or World Series refs allowed to call runners safe eventhough they missed a base by two feet or called runners out eventhough they were never tagged, or refs only calling the personal fouls they want during the NBA playoffs?

Just sayin'

[/rant]

or refs only calling the personal fouls they want during the NBA playoffs?

Just sayin'

[/rant]

NBA... isn't that the game they play with a big orange ball? I know how you NCians treat bball like Moose Jaw treats hockey, but neither the game nor the league nor the NCAA bracket thing you people play down here is in my vocabulary.

... or refs only calling the personal fouls they want during the NBA playoffs?

Just sayin'

[/rant]

Guess you missed the Celtic giving the Bull a root canal in the first round that wasn't called a flagrant foul. Too a degree the NBA does the same thing as the NHL in the playoffs, especially in the final minutes.

To the bigger point, it is the whole "the referee shouldn't decide the outcome" stance, which in my opinion is a load of BS. It is not the ref it is the guy who decided not to follow the rules who determined the outcome. If the guy commits a penalty, foul or whatever, it should be treated the same way in game seven of the finals as in game one of the regular season.

Toward this series, in the end all I really care about is consistency, even though in a perfect world I would like to see it called like the regular season. But I really haven't seen that thus far from the officials, they sometimes call the free hand or hook sometimes not and its not like they are even doing it to even out the calls like they used to seem to do. The Bruins have definitely seemed to be a little better disciplined than the Canes but I really have a hard time believing that the Canes are committing more than 3 times as many penalties as the Bruins. Again though, all I really want is for the rules to be applied even throughout the game, if its a hook early its a hook late, no matter which team does it. If the canes really can't play as disciplined as the Bruins then they should be in the box more.

We were one of the least penalized teams during the season and suddenly WE are getting more penaltys than the Bruins? I don't think so. The refs need to call it both ways.

At the same time youve seen what calling all the penalties does, it was boring. I remember ATL taking 15 penalties one game and I was almost asleep.

At the same time youve seen what calling all the penalties does, it was boring. I remember ATL taking 15 penalties one game and I was almost asleep.

Was that the game when five of them were in the penalty box at the same time? xD I remember them putting on the jumbotron "Atlanta Penalty: Too Many Men in the Penalty Box." Cheesy, yes. But it was funny.

As for the sleazy "Looch," my opinion has been stated by others already. It's not so much that it's "the playoffs and this sort of stuff happens," but rather the league has stated that they are trying to crack down on things like this. The conspiracies about them giving a lop-sided number of calls against us to get Boston to advance because they're an Original-6 team may be true or false, but it doesn't matter. Something needs to be done because they say that they're trying to stop this... nice one, Colin Campbell. I think it's time for some video replay for Colin.

Wonder what Dennis Seidenberg would think of this comment from Milan Lucic: (Bruins Blog)

Lucic was able to talk eloquently about a major, and consistent, positive for the club: discipline.

"I think it's just the mindset.," said Lucic. "We give ourselves more of a chance to win when we ware being diciplined.

"So, we have to keep that up -- just having good sticks. We've been just keeping our sticks on the ice and we haven't been taking any hooking or slashing penalties because of that."

Wonder what Dennis Seidenberg would think of this comment from Milan Lucic: (Bruins Blog)

Lucic was able to talk eloquently about a major, and consistent, positive for the club: discipline.

"I think it's just the mindset.," said Lucic. "We give ourselves more of a chance to win when we ware being diciplined.

"So, we have to keep that up -- just having good sticks. We've been just keeping our sticks on the ice and we haven't been taking any hooking or slashing penalties because of that."

L O L

... I scoff at that.