The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Attendance Woes on Opening Night...Problems Ahead?

While Carolina had a full house last night, the N&O Blog had this to say about some surprising unsold (not just empty) seats in Detroit and Colorado:

Interesting to see if this will be a trend in those towns (and how attendance looks in the other upcoming openers for other cities).

They reported well over 18,000 for us but I strongly disagree with that. 16,000 at best.

While Carolina had a full house last night, the N&O Blog had this to say about some surprising unsold (not just empty) seats in Detroit and Colorado:

Interesting to see if this will be a trend in those towns (and how attendance looks in the other upcoming openers for other cities).

They reported well over 18,000 for us but I strongly disagree with that. 16,000 at best.

The issue is about sold tickets not actual butts in seats. By the NHL "tickets sold" standard (which is the basis for the "official" NHL attendance), the Cane's game was a sellout. Detroit and Colorado did not do that.

The issue is about sold tickets not actual butts in seats. By the NHL "tickets sold" standard (which is the basis for the "official" NHL attendance), the Cane's game was a sellout. Detroit and Colorado did not do that.

How far we have come from 10 years ago. Glad to hear it. Once a Caniac, always a Caniac.

Thats not the way it should be though. It should be actual people going thru the turnstiles. As it was, according to you and the NHL . If Colorado or Detroit sold every ticket but only 10,000 showed that would be "full house". If Carolina sold all the tickets but 16,000 show up is that a "full house". It's not a knock on Carolina but how the NHL figures attendance

Thats not the way it should be though. It should be actual people going thru the turnstiles. As it was, according to you and the NHL . If Colorado or Detroit sold every ticket but only 10,000 showed that would be "full house". If Carolina sold all the tickets but 16,000 show up is that a "full house". It's not a knock on Carolina but how the NHL figures attendance

The NHL probably does it that way so that it doesn't look like their hiding any revenue.

What would be nice, is if they posted both numbers, tickets sold AND actual attendance.

Thats not the way it should be though. It should be actual people going thru the turnstiles. As it was, according to you and the NHL . If Colorado or Detroit sold every ticket but only 10,000 showed that would be "full house". If Carolina sold all the tickets but 16,000 show up is that a "full house". It's not a knock on Carolina but how the NHL figures attendance.
Oh, I agree, or at least make both figures "officially" available (sales and turnstiles). I know in watching Detroit games on the tube in past years, and I've made this comment on these boards before, they seem to have an incredible number of empty seats in their lower bowl (that you can see in TV shots) in games that are "sell outs". A by-product, I assume, of agressive corporate sales that result in tickets that go unused.

I love that they didn't sell out. Other hockey fans I know say that Carolina shouldn't have a team cause we can't sell out our games supposedly...well the place known as "Hockeytown" didn't sell out and we did.

I watch attendance and go to 35plus games a year since 2000. I would say last night was at 18, 136. I was late but once people sat down, there looked like some empties on the north end and some in the upper corners. I dont think there were 2700 empty seats.

JMHO

The NHL probably does it that way so that it doesn't look like their hiding any revenue.

What would be nice, is if they posted both numbers, tickets sold AND actual attendance.

Agree, I guess

Every league does it this way. Sorry, I think the people who want just actual seats just want an "axe" to grind. Look at the ACC and those empty seats. My Goodness......Look at the NFL. I was lucky I made it last night and I would have let 2 tickets go empty, but I paid the organization the money. It should count. I made the game and my friend who went with me went since I held the tickets. They would have been empty if I got stuck at work.

Just like a hotel room that never gets used but the confirmation was paid. Do you think the hotel says..." can not count that toward my occupancy rate" no way !!! for the record....... I can not tell you have many times I have rented a hotel room and not stayed there.

Money for a seat is money. People don't show up for many reasons. (me last night...because work suxs sometimes but it allows me to buy hockey tickets)

I noticed a sea of empty seats in the Joe watching the game last night. Pretty bad when it's in the papers but even worse when it's noticeable on national tv (well almost national tv)

Glad to hear the 'Canes sold out last night, I only wish the guys had played well enough to get the win in front of that many people.

As far as tickets sold vs. actual people at the game regarding the NHL's numbers, it's really about what it's always been about......the money baby

I noticed a sea of empty seats in the Joe watching the game last night. Pretty bad when it's in the papers but even worse when it's noticeable on national tv (well almost national tv)

Glad to hear the 'Canes sold out last night, I only wish the guys had played well enough to get the win in front of that many people.

As far as tickets sold vs. actual people at the game regarding the NHL's numbers, it's really about what it's always been about......the money baby

It didn't help that the announcer actually commented on the empty seats and mentioned how quiet it was in the arena. That seemed like a low-blow in my opinion and not the best way to sell the sport of hockey for anyone who flipped by Versus.

I watched a little of Edmonton - Detroit (the Canes two Stanley Cup Finals opponents!) I was very surprised at all the red seats I saw.

However, I don't think it has anything to do with hockey. I have heard that there are tough times up there now. And with the Union issues going on in the automobile industry, it may be having an effect on how people spend there entertainment $$$, if they have any

I watched a little of Edmonton - Detroit (the Canes two Stanley Cup Finals opponents!) I was very surprised at all the red seats I saw.

However, I don't think it has anything to do with hockey. I have heard that there are tough times up there now. And with the Union issues going on in the automobile industry, it may be having an effect on how people spend there entertainment $$$, if they have any

every team has attendance luls.... no one has any doubts either of these teams can bounce back.