The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
iceboy

Caniacs

I was watching Versus tonight and they were talking about our series. They made mention of the Caniacs and it got me thinking. How many other teams have their own nickname for the fans and get singled out like we do? Secondly, anyone know who originally coined the name? If I was going to guess, I would think maybe John Forslund, as that seems to be his forte'. I'm guessing it may go back to the '02 playoffs and the start of the airport ritual, but if anyone knows for sure, I'd love to know.

Anyway, Caniacs sound much cooler than the Sabresacs.

I dunno, I kinda like the sound of Sabresacs :lol:

*hides from quince*

Good question for Chuck Kaiton on Kaiton's Corner. Do they call the fans at U of Miami caniacs too?

I dunno, I kinda like the sound of Sabresacs :lol:

*hides from quince*

Good question for Chuck Kaiton on Kaiton's Corner. Do they call the fans at U of Miami caniacs too?

hahahahha you guys are hilarious. giving tsa the evil eye

puts on bruins hat

:P

I know I love it when the national announcers refer to us as Caniacs and report on how loud we are and the things we do. Having lived in two other major league areas, I can say we are a unique fanbase. I don't know of any other fan group that has its own nationally known nickname.. fan organizations like the Bills Backers exist, but the announcers never refer to them by that name.

It makes me proud when we are recognized not only for cheering the Canes on but actually affecting the game in a positive way. Good job to all us Caniacs!