The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Starbucks

TAKE A STAND FOR OUR CANES

Well, see, this is where I disagree. This is something that can't be just thrown out there too early or too often or else it loses it's effectiveness. Save it.

LET THE SEVENTH MAN RISE FOR A WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that's something superdave can relate to!

I expect the Friday night crowd to be even better than Wed's. I thought we could have done a little better with the noise early in Wed's game. Don't get me wrong we were loud but I'm hoping to bring it up a notch higher tonight!!

I just want to say how impressed I was at how our fans not only cheered during the obvious times during Wednesday's game, but more importantly, during times when things weren't going so well - and when they needed our support the most. I truly felt it really made a difference. I hope the crowd tonight is just as supportive!

I just want to say how impressed I was at how our fans not only cheered during the obvious times during Wednesday's game, but more importantly, during times when things weren't going so well - and when they needed your support the most. I truly felt it really made a difference. I hope the crowd tonight is just as supportive!
The loud cheers the team gets for the faceoff directly following GIVING UP A GOAL is something awesome! You just don't see that (very often) in other arenas. It is something very cool about the Caniac fans to encourage the team when its down (and no, that is not an opening for a Smiling Bob comment... :P ).

The loud cheers the team gets for the faceoff directly following GIVING UP A GOAL is something awesome! You just don't see that (very often) in other arenas. It is something very cool about the Caniac fans to encourage the team when its down (and no, that is not an opening for a Smiling Bob comment... :P ).

Unfortunately ---every time I STAND for my teams in the playoffs I'm told to sit down by some soccer mom who has spent the day at the salon getting her nails done for the game so she can twitter with greater efficiency and check her facebook between intermissions ! :rolleyes:

( BTW: I have nothing against Soccer Moms--just the ones who spend 10 minutes watching the game, sipping box wine , & texting all game telling me to sit down )

Unfortunately ---every time I STAND for my teams in the playoffs I'm told to sit down by some soccer mom who has spent the day at the salon getting her nails done for the game so she can twitter with greater efficiency and check her facebook between intermissions ! :rolleyes:

( BTW: I have nothing against Soccer Moms--just the ones who spend 10 minutes watching the game, sipping box wine , & texting all game telling me to sit down )

Unless they have some sort of physical problem I HATE it when people do that during the playoffs. I can totally understand it during the regular season.

Tonight is going to be a tough night and the Bruins are coming out to take a win in our building. WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!! On NHL on the Fly after the last game they made reference to how great the CANIACS were, how we stood throughout the third period and really helped pull the Canes through that game. That's what I'm looking to do tonight. Let's all STAND and pull our guys through this game tonight. LOUD AND PROUD!!! Let's raise the roof off the RBC Center!!! GO CANES

LET THE SEVENTH MAN RISE FOR A WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No to this. It happened for a seventh game in the finals for the cup. This game does'nt hold a candle to that one.

I'm with you here. It's unacceptable to yell at someone to sit down when, if they would simply look around them, they would notice that 90% of their section is also standing. Can't see? You stand up, too!

I'm with you here. It's unacceptable to yell at someone to sit down when, if they would simply look around them, they would notice that 90% of their section is also standing. Can't see? You stand up, too!

Agree 100%, but there is another side to this. I sit in the 2nd row on the third level, section 304. With a couple of minutes left in the 3rd period of game three against Boston, some guy, who never comes to the games, decides to stand up and watch the rest of the game. Nobody else is standing in front of him (obviously, because he's in the front row), nobody else in the 1st row is standing, and nobody behind him is standing, at least in my row and the one behind me. So we have the lone stander. The lady behind me politely asks him to sit down, he ignores her, she asks again, he ignores her again, and then people start screaming at him to sit down, but he ignores that also. Following the conclusion of the 3rd, he turns around and starts mouthing off to the people behind him, and then about 10 of us let him have it verbally. Even his own friends didn't come to his defense. He must have felt threatened, because he didn't stand up during overtime.

I guess the point here is that people need to be reasonable depending on what's going on around them. During Game 7 against Edmonton, they said the whole stadium was standing during the entire game. Not true. I was in the same seats I've had since 1999, and nobody in the first three rows were standing. I don't know what was going on higher up in the stands, but in our section people generally don't stand until the final minute or so. It doesn't make us any less of a fan than anyone else.

My opinion is that the Standing Stadium is reserved for elimination games in the Finals, but that's just an opinion.

The part about sitting down is not an opinion, however; it's an RBC rule. If someone asks you to sit down, you should sit down. Some people can't stand up. Some people don't want to stand up, but paid for a ticket and deserve to see the game. They would be within their rights to ask an usher to enforce that rule, although normally that's not going to happen unless you're wearing an opposing teams jersey.

We are STH lower level and during the 2006 7th game of Canes vs Oilers everyone in the lower bowl was standing for the entire game. I am not sure what was going on in the 2nd and 3rd levels. It was incredible!!

Agree 100%, but there is another side to this. I sit in the 2nd row on the third level, section 304. With a couple of minutes left in the 3rd period of game three against Boston, some guy, who never comes to the games, decides to stand up and watch the rest of the game. Nobody else is standing in front of him (obviously, because he's in the front row), nobody else in the 1st row is standing, and nobody behind him is standing, at least in my row and the one behind me. So we have the lone stander. The lady behind me politely asks him to sit down, he ignores her, she asks again, he ignores her again, and then people start screaming at him to sit down, but he ignores that also. Following the conclusion of the 3rd, he turns around and starts mouthing off to the people behind him, and then about 10 of us let him have it verbally. Even his own friends didn't come to his defense. He must have felt threatened, because he didn't stand up during overtime.

I guess the point here is that people need to be reasonable depending on what's going on around them. During Game 7 against Edmonton, they said the whole stadium was standing during the entire game. Not true. I was in the same seats I've had since 1999, and nobody in the first three rows were standing. I don't know what was going on higher up in the stands, but in our section people generally don't stand until the final minute or so. It doesn't make us any less of a fan than anyone else.

I had the same kind of clown in front of me on Wednesday night. Lower bowl, corner where Canes shoot twice and this guy would get up..by himself every 2 seconds.....childish if you ask me...the last few minutes of a close game I can understand, but people like this ned to grow up..obviously no consideration for people that paid their good money for seats behind him..his daughter was looking on as well.........really folks, hockey is a great sport and exciting..but 99% of it can be viewed was sitting down..........of course we live in the "its all about me " times..........cheers

Side note.......now I understand you can mention this to the ushers and they will politely these people to sit down..tonite i will do that.

Who cares who rings the siren tonight, all that matters is that we show that idiot Bob Ryan tonight how loud our building is and that its not "totally overated". He'd much rather be watching the Celtics than the B's so lets all give him a reminder of how we do it in NC! You don't think we were loud Bob? ok, that's like a slap in the face to all us Caniacs, we'll show you loud son, because this is OUR house!!!! Oh yea a win would be great also.

We are STH lower level and during the 2006 7th game of Canes vs Oilers everyone in the lower bowl was standing for the entire game. I am not sure what was going on in the 2nd and 3rd levels. It was incredible!!

My regular season tickets are in the lower level 119, however for game 7 Stanley Cup Finals I was in 201 I believe, exactly across from my season tickets, I could see the downstairs standing, In the 2nd level 201 I was in the 2nd row, and no one was standing, except the times we were celebrating, or the normal times you stand, but I remember on the Jumbotron, and on the radio the motto was "NOBODY SITS TONIGHT) I think it is a great sign of STANDING BEHIND our team, but not every period of the playoff hockey, but certainly when warranted

From what I saw in Boston, they were quite subdude in comparison to us. When they had a power play at the end of the 2nd game, only half the people i saw were even standing and or barely clapping when it happened. I don't think thier building has come close to ours, but maybe in the 5th game, after we win the 4th game and their backs are against the wall (we may get a rise out of them ) the last line for smilin bob

GO CANES !!!!

I have no issue with standing, however I hate the fact I may be blocking the view from behind me. We're friendly in the Section, and chat during breaks, high-five on goals, etc. The folks behind me had an elderly couple as guests last game.

The older fellow sang loudly (albeit off tune) during our National Anthem. I LOVED IT. I then repeatly stood up due to the standers in front of me, and know the folks behind me would have to. It bothered me the whole game.

Not much you can do, as I tried to stay low, but see the game.

yep - you are definitely right...i sit in 102....i took one for the team and stood, but it is tough when you are short (and old with bad knees) and have to lean forward while standing to see the north end.

it was caused by 103...i dont know if it came from 104 or what but 102 HAD to stand due to 103....

the guy in front of me (STH since greensboro) left for third period .... he is a great guy and his point was that this was not the SC finals....plus when everyone stands alot of us cant see and end up watching on jumbotron....

i am not complaining...i dont think :blink: but i would rather not stand the ENTIRE game....

that said....AWESOME GAME.....GO CANES!!!!

I sit in 112 near the front. I wanted SOOOOOOOOOOO badly to stand, but no one else in our area stood up. I didn't want to "rock the boat", so I screamed like a crazy woman from my seat. I wish the people in the end zones would STAND UP like everyone else and show that spirit! It certainly doesn't hinder our view........ GO CANES

I sit in 112 near the front. I wanted SOOOOOOOOOOO badly to stand, but no one else in our area stood up. I didn't want to "rock the boat", so I screamed like a crazy woman from my seat. I wish the people in the end zones would STAND UP like everyone else and show that spirit! It certainly doesn't hinder our view........ GO CANES

I sit on the LLN as well and I am extremely happy that people on the ends have the sense NOT to stand. There are kids who aren't tall enough to see when adults opt to stand for no real reason, there are older adults who cannot stand throughout the game, and others who cannot stand for other reasons. Everyone has paid for their tickets and deserves to be able to see the game from their seat. As you point out, we support the team with our VOICES. Standing during play is just annoying to other fans. If I had tickets in 102-105 I would complain to Canes and RBC management. Yes it is the playoffs, but the basic rules of etiquette for WATCHING a hockey game do not change just because the intensity of the game on the ice is somewhat greater. Seriously, this is round 2 it is not game 7 of the SCF.

I am in 102, and this was driving me crazy for the last 2 games. I have no problem standing for the 7th game or even the finals. However, I just don't get it when one or two people can cause a whole section to have to stand. I agree that there are kids and people who just cannot stand for a whole game. I am a full STH, and I don't recognize most of the people who are jumping to their feet every 2 seconds (even when there is nothing particularly imminent about to happen on the ice). I think most of the people standing in 102 were not regulars. I also have noticed that these same people are the ones who decide to come back from the concessions during play (usually during a power play) and climb over you. We have been going to games since Greensboro, and we have found that during the playoffs you have a lot of people who don't go to a lot of games. They are there for the event. I welcome any new fans, but please have fun and be considerate.