The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
fpsndiver

Coach Paul Maurice strategization of playoff hockey

Agreed. Mo deserves a ton of credit. But it ain't over yet so let's not start celebrating anything yet, because we haven't accomplished our goal yet. GO CANES!

John and Tripp made mention of this in the broadcast, but I thought I'd post it here:

Maurice is outcoaching Julien, plain and simple. He's exploited the matchup between Chara and Staal, the supposed "X" factor of the series. Chara's a great defenseman, but he's still human. By the 3rd period, he was absolutely gassed. There is such a thing as overplaying a player, and Julien's pushing the limit with Chara.

Not only that, Maurice is exploiting the tendencies of the Bruins team. I'm not sure why, but Julien has 1 forechecker and 4 guys at their blueline, even when the game is tied. It allowed the Carolina defense all the time in the world to set up plays, wait for line changes, etc. Meanwhile, Carolina sent two, sometimes three forecheckers, causing and picking off turnovers in the Boston zone.

That kind of forecheck just causes more and more pressure on their defense, until, as we saw in the 3rd, it just collapses. It's some smart coaching by Mo and some stubborn coaching by Julien that's gotten us this 3-1 edge. Still, it's not over yet. We'll see what adjustments are made in Game 5.

Mo is definetly out coaching the Bruins, you couple that with a team where everyone is giving it all they have, it is a double edged sword for the Bruins, and so far they have not been able to handle it.

You have to throw out the 1st game, Boston had 8 day rest, and we were still on an emotional high, and drain from the the Devils game 7

....Julien that's gotten us this 3-1 edge. Still, it's not over yet. We'll see what adjustments are made in Game 5....

I hope Julien can get Chara out there with Staal in game 5 given the Bruins have the last change. It's worked great for Carolina so far :)

I'm not going to take any credit from Mo because his handwriting is all over our success, but I also wonder just how much influence Ron had in all this. Mo reached the Finals once but the real playoff experience and success goes to Ronnie with winning the Cup a couple of times himself, going to the Finals once under Mo and watching from the sidelines in 06. Since our success is somewhat of a Cindarella story sofar, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we would see more teams bringing in offensive/defensive asst. coaches in the furture.

I'm not going to take any credit from Mo because his handwriting is all over our success, but I also wonder just how much influence Ron had in all this. Mo reached the Finals once but the real playoff experience and success goes to Ronnie with winning the Cup a couple of times himself, going to the Finals once under Mo and watching from the sidelines in 06. Since our success is somewhat of a Cindarella story sofar, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we would see more teams bringing in offensive/defensive asst. coaches in the furture.

My thoughts on it is that it's all the coaches working on it. They all observe things from offense/defense/net and put it together, maybe with some input from the players as they go. Mo might make the final decision, but I'm sure he doesn't make it without input from the others - they might observe something that he missed because he was watching something else.

Whatever it is, the players and coaches are doing great. I can't wait to see how far it takes them! Go Canes!!

Of course you have to have the raw talent to work with, but my opinion is that great coaching and great goaltending can make up for a ton of shortcomings in the playoffs. During the regular season when you see a team today and maybe again in a month, coaching adjustments probably don't come into play like they do in a 7 game series where you see the same team every other day for 2 weeks. Coaching adjustments, whether they be from Mo, Ronnie, or whoever on the staff, and goaltending is why this team won round 1 and is up 3-1 in the 2nd round.

You can see in the 3rd period that the Bruins are spent and they start losing their discipline. How Mo has dealt with Chara is nothing short of briliant.

Just think how far this team has come....

Wardo is average at best.

Staal isn't playing up to that big contract.

Brindy doesn't have it any more.

Why won't Nicky waive his no-trade clause.

Why does J.R. keep recycling all these guys.

Oh no, not Mo and the dump and chase again.

I'm sure I've missed some, but you get the picture. What makes me the most positive about our chances going forward is that this team must have a chip on their shoulder from not making the playoffs the last 2 years. Mo has just as much to prove too.

I dont know about all the technical behind-the-scene coaching stuff going on but IMO, the most obvious thing that Maurice is doing is controlling the team's emotions and you can hear it referenced in every sound bite after a big win, a tough loss, an OT thriller and even after game 7 in NJ. He's doing a great job of keeping them very even keeled and not letting them get too high after a win or too low after a loss.

Even in the midst of a game when maybe things arent going well or there's been a bad or maybe a missed call (like LaRose's no goal), the bench stays very calm and keeps its focus. Last night when there were quite a few after-the-whistle shots taken at the Canes players but the Canes werent stupid enough to take retliatory penalties and they showed just the right amount of emotion when Lucic finally had enough of being pounded all game and took a swing at Brind'Amour.

Managing the mental game has been the most impressive thing to watch for me, the Bruins are really struggling with this.

I dont know about all the technical behind-the-scene coaching stuff going on but IMO, the most obvious thing that Maurice is doing is controlling the team's emotions and you can hear it referenced in every sound bite after a big win, a tough loss, an OT thriller and even after game 7 in NJ. He's doing a great job of keeping them very even keeled and not letting them get too high after a win or too low after a loss.

Even in the midst of a game when maybe things arent going well or there's been a bad or maybe a missed call (like LaRose's no goal), the bench stays very calm and keeps its focus. Last night when there were quite a few after-the-whistle shots taken at the Canes players but the Canes werent stupid enough to take retliatory penalties and they showed just the right amount of emotion when Lucic finally had enough of being pounded all game and took a swing at Brind'Amour.

Managing the mental game has been the most impressive thing to watch for me, the Bruins are really struggling with this.

Spot on, my friend. It really became obvious last night and one of my comments in the PGA thread was that Boston was beginning to come unglued.

Absolutely. That's Mo's personality hard at work. It would be really easy for our team to become over confident right now, and it would be very easy for our team to get down really low if we get blown out. Mo has done a great job keeping these emotions in check, and making each and every game just as important (or just as unimportant) as the game before. It doesn't matter what kind of outcome the game before was, our guys are playing with the same fire and intensity that is needed to put big wins and losses behind them.

Very true. Clearly the Bruins are the last team in the Eastern conference to understand that the Hurricanes of March forward is a different and vastly superior team than the Hurricanes of March backwards. The Bruins never faced this team before, they faced that team. Consequenty, the team and their coach figured that they would roll the overrated Canes fairly easily. This was only confirmed when they won game 1.

But now, listening to the team and their coach, it is clear that they are absolutely stunned and dazed and confused teatering back on their heels emotionally. They are the bully that used to beat the little kid up, but then one summer the little kid grew and took some Karate lessons. The bully got one shot in and was congratulating himself when the kid broadsided him. Then hit him again, then again. The bully just can't really accept that this is really happening.

The Bruins just keep going on and on about how they picked a bad time to play their worst hockey, etc, like they just haven't really been trying and just you wait until we really try, then it'll be no contest. The fact is that this Hurricane's team, the one that beat every hot team put in front of them through the last part of the season, and beat the NJD team that had the home ice and that John Forslund called the best team in the East, that Hurricanes team is every bit as good at every position as this Bruins team. The Bruins had only played the very mediocre team of pre-March. They still don't know what hit them. Watching these teams play it is clear that these Canes are a BETTER team. They have a clear edge in play. It is more the Canes being that good than Boston not bringing the A game. We have taken Boston's best shot. Boston can't really admit that. They are through. It may well come tonight.