The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dlayersjr

Scott Walker

A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at any time in overtime, shall be assessed an instigator minor penalty, a major for fighting, a ten minute misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension. The length of suspension will double for each subsequent offense. In addition, the player's coach shall be fined $10,000 -- a fine that will double for each subsequent incident.

How stupid was that??? A game for sure, but he has been suspended before. Uh oh

I dont think he should personally. Aaron ward wanted to pick a fight with cullen and then played stupid when walker came over and hit him. Its wards own fault.

When I saw the hit and everybody in the ale house started goin crazy, I just kinda hung my head because I knew it was gonna be a suspension. Aaron Ward didn't even put his hands up to fight, and Scottie just cold-cocked him. I love the intensity, and I love sticking up for a teammate. But a line should be drawn, and Scottie kinda crossed it. It just looked like a frustration punch because we were gettin beat up all night.

IIRC, Ward punched Cullen in the face which is what prompted Walker to drop Ward. Walker doesn't just go throwing fists into people's faces unless they did something that warranted it. I think Walker overreacted but Ward got what was coming to him.

edit: here's what I said in the PGA thread:

Walker threw gas on the fire and it wasn't smart. Upon seeing the replay a couple times, I'm actually embarrassed about it. It was bush league. A. Ward is reportedly to have a broken orbital bone. i can only hope Lucic gets a game suspension as well. I still stand by my assessment that it was good for the boys to be slapped around like this.

I think Walker overreacted, but Walker doesn't start throwing fists around unless someone deserves it. Aaron Ward punched Cullen just before Walker dropped him, so IMHO Ward got exactly what was coming to him. I'm not going to throw Walker under the bus - his team did not physically respond in this game by even a smidgen. Good for Walker for sending a message to Boston that we aren't taking anymore of this mess.

How quickly some of you have forgotten the countless sucker punches the likes of Chara, Lucic, etc. have thrown after whistles throughout this series. Does Walker deserve a suspension? That's not for me to decide. But, Boston has gotten away with a ridiculous number of roughings after the play was dead. Chara has been holding guys down and punching them in the back of the head. Don't forget what Lucic did to Seids, punching him in the back of the head and then stepping on his back with his skate, and Dennis did nothing.

Aaron Ward got exactly what was coming to him and his team and I have zero sympathy for him right now. Good for Walker for saying "enough is enough" and making them pay. I'm shocked that any of you would call what Walker did was "bush league" after all the mess Boston has gotten away with. Let's not forget all of the cheapshots our team has taken through 5 games. (I'm not singling you out Bing Chow).

I hope Aaron never forgets what he got, because he was certainly asking for it.

If the league doesn't suspend Chris Kunitz from Pittsburgh for cross-checking Varlamov in the neck (it simply fined him), it can certainly use its discretion and not hand Walker a suspension. I also fail to understand why Walker was given a five minute major for fighting -- didn't he just punch Ward who quite promptly went down? It seems like the refs were just looking for a way to throw Walker out of the game. As for the roughing call on A. Ward, perhaps this was for punching Cullen (missed exactly what Ward did to get that roughing penalty).

A Ward has a broken orbital bone (see Andrew Ladd from Sean Avery). Stupid move, suspension and fine coming.

Well I much would have rather it been Charra or Lucic, but unfortunately it was Ward who got involved in this one.

Walker deserves a game, but will probably get 3 in my estimation because of the broken bone.

It wasn't deserving, but I think did send a message that the BS that's been flying (without very much retaliation from the Canes) won't go on forever.

I would have rather seen Conboy be able to maintain his balance and actually remain standing in one of the two fights he tried to get in, but IMHO this did the trick, but did go too far and probably caught the wrong guy.

Not to excuse what Walker did, but right now, the doctors think Ward may have a broken orbital bone. The NHL should certainly wait to hear officially before deciding what to do -- they can certainly hold a conference call with Walker if they decide that he should be suspended before making a call on how many games.

Not to excuse what Walker did, but right now, the doctors think Ward may have a broken orbital bone. The NHL should certainly wait to hear officially before deciding what to do -- they can certainly hold a conference call with Walker if they decide that he should be suspended before making a call on how many games.

Aaron Ward got what was coming for him. I certainly have no sympathy for the guy & don't wish him well. He's always been a jerk, even when he played here, and I'm glad to see someone stand up to him. He was the 1 player on the Stanley Cup team that I was thrilled to see go, regardless of how good he was.

Anything the NHL can do to get an Original 6 match-up in the finals will be done. I wish it had been Chara, but it is not nice to hit a woman, especially on Mother's Day.

NESN was reporting it was a broken orbital bone but I havent heard it confirmed anywhere else yet.

I understand all the frustration that lead to the punch and Walker had obviously had enough of whats been going on all series long. The refs let that game get to that point but Walker was wrong to throw the punch the way it happened.

It should be a mandatory 1 game suspension but there could be more. There's been a ton of after the whistle liberties taken on the Canes and I cant blame Walker for boiling over but the consequences that come from incidents like this that late in the game are tough.

NESN was reporting it was a broken orbital bone but I havent heard it confirmed anywhere else yet.

I understand all the frustration that lead to the punch and Walker had obviously had enough of whats been going on all series long. The refs let that game get to that point but Walker was wrong to throw the punch the way it happened.

It should be a mandatory 1 game suspension but there could be more. There's been a ton of after the whistle liberties taken on the Canes and I cant blame Walker for boiling over but the consequences that come from incidents like this that late in the game are tough.

Melrose said he thinks it should be 5 games.

From TSN.ca

"Bruins defenceman Aaron Ward examined for broken facial bone Monday, 05.11.2009 / 1:08 AM / News Canadian PressBOSTON - Boston Bruins defenceman Aaron Ward left Sunday night's playoff game with what team doctors fear is a broken orbital bone after he was punched by Carolina's Scott Walker.

Bruins coach Claude Julien asked the NHL to look into the play, and complained about Jussi Jokinen's slash that sent Zdeno Chara to the locker room with less than a minute left in the second period.

"The slash on Zdeno is a cheap shot; we all know that. The Walker incident is not something they should be proud of," Julien said after Boston beat Carolina 4-0 in Game 5 to avoid elimination in the Eastern Conference semifinals. "Something like that is not what you want to see, your player put in that position. Hopefully the people in charge will see that play and decide what they want to do about it."

Ward left the game with 2:47 remaining after Walker punched him in the face. Walker was given a misconduct, a fighting major and an instigator penalty.

Hurricanes coach Paul Maurice laughed off the possible repercussions.

"Scott probably has sore knuckles," he said.

Asked whether there will be a fine, he added: "I may have to sell my truck."

I agree Walker deserves a 1 game suspension, but the Bruins (via A Ward) got what they've been asking for for 5 games. Cheapshot after cheapshot. As for Jussi's "slash" I just have lots of lols at the comment Julien made. Chara dove so hard I can't even comprehend how Thomas could say that Chara "doesn't fake things like that -- ever." But then again I can understand why Thomas would say that, since he has seen Chara do it time after time after time. Chara is a joke and so is Thomas :lol: Go Scotty!

edit: And if the league actually reviews Jussi's "slash" they need to go through the whole series and look at all of the cheapshots the Bruins have been making. I have a couple of the games of this series still on my DVR that I need to move to my computer, and I'm sure I could make a video illustrating the obvious liberties that have been taken by the Bruins. If the officiating isn't square on Tuesday, I'll do my durndest to make a video that will shine a giant spot light on how horrible the officiating has been and make the NHL executives look like tools (not that it takes much convincing for anyone in the know).

I think as long as his eyeball doesn't fall out, he'll be alright. I mean, really? Really? C'mon... Are they really trying to play this card? Really? You guys have done an excellent job highlighting the blatant missed calls in this series. And I'll tell you what, I have no faith in the NHL officiating system. Sorry if I rub someone's *edit* the wrong way but damn, it's about time someone stood up for this team. Way to go, Scott.

"The slash on Zdeno is a cheap shot; we all know that. The Walker incident is not something they should be proud of," Julien said after Boston beat Carolina 4-0 in Game 5 to avoid elimination in the Eastern Conference semifinals. "Something like that is not what you want to see, your player put in that position. Hopefully the people in charge will see that play and decide what they want to do about it."

We watched the "slash" over and over again, and it looked like Jussi's stick hit the ice and not Chara's leg. I just didn't see anything to drop Chara like a 3 year old that fell off his tricycle.

Like I said in the GDT, at least Walker got his money's worth. This has been building all series long and I guess he had seen enough. It's unfortunate that Scotty will draw a suspension from this, but maybe the league will look at his past and not be too severe.

From TSN.ca

Hurricanes coach Paul Maurice laughed off the possible repercussions.

"Scott probably has sore knuckles," he said.

Asked whether there will be a fine, he added: "I may have to sell my truck."

If Maurice said that I will never have another word to criticize him ever again. That gives him immunity in my book. Way to stand behind your team.

If Maurice said that I will never have another word to criticize him ever again. That gives him immunity in my book. Way to stand behind your team.

Well, I won't say never for me, but that is a perfect response to tell the team that he is with them and all will be ok. Now for the team and Mo to focus on game 6.