The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dlayersjr

Scott Walker

^^ Sure the NHL would like BOS vs PIT ...and for all you conspiracy theorists out there ...its another $ellout @ the RBC !! :rolleyes:

Seriously : What can possibly be argued during the hearing to overturn the suspension ? Done deal if you ask me <_<

BTW: Just read on Boston.com blog that A. Ward flew to RDU this a.m. for additional testing locally . They are also JUST as upset about the viscious slash by Jussi that will be reponded to by Sasquatch ...errr.. Chara tomorrow night . Not even certain if Jokinen connected on that (?)

Canes Now is reporting Walker has been suspended, a hearing set for 12:30 today.

Ok, somebody school me on this. If he is already suspeded, whats the hearing for? for him to plead his case and possibly have the suspension overturned?

Edit: nevermind. i just read the post above me to answer my question. You may proced with your day...thank you :ph34r:

I saw this picture and thought it was pretty funny! Poor Poor Ward. :lol:

What the hell is he thinking just standing there like a moron?

f49c5cda75_Sucker_05112009.jpg

Personally it looks like he's thinking "Oh ....."

judging by the officiating, it is clear the NHL favors a boston vs. pittsburgh match-up.

We've known that since game 1, it's been brutal and has caused most of this mess.

Ok, somebody school me on this. If he is already suspeded, whats the hearing for? for him to plead his case and possibly have the suspension overturned?

Edit: nevermind. i just read the post above me to answer my question. You may proced with your day...thank you :ph34r:

Actually Nash ....they can submit DNA evidence at this point and possibly bring in a few eye witnesses to the stand that can provide testimony supporting any alibi :

" Errr ...judge ...Scott Walker COULDN'T have thrown that punch because ..you see ,we were eating Chowder @ Legal Seafood . Yeah... thats right, he was with me your excellency !! " ;)

The NHL has the discretion to waive the suspension. The league could decide that since both were given roughing penalties then suspension is not warranted.

I saw this picture and thought it was pretty funny! Poor Poor Ward. :lol:

What the hell is he thinking just standing there like a moron?

f49c5cda75_Sucker_05112009.jpg

And if he had enough reaction time to shut his eyes why not throw your arms up to block the fist coming at you? I mean maybe it happened too fast, but a professional athlete has to have pretty fast reflexes.

And if he had enough reaction time to shut his eyes why not throw your arms up to block the fist coming at you? I mean maybe it happened to fast, but a professional athlete has to have pretty fast reflexes.

well in Ward's defense it did happen that fast!!

Agreed. Its was almost like Scotty de-gloved and punched him with one fluid motion. His arm went back and flung his glove off and it never stopped moving forward until A.Ward blocked it with his face. :blink:

:lol: Yeah maybe he didn't have time to get his hands up there on that punch. But if I remember correctly, Scott had already swung and missed once (I think while the gloves were still intact) giving Ward time to realize that another one was probably coming and defend himself, instead he shuts his eyes. I don't know. I just hope that a Bruin doesn't decide to cheap shot one of our top guys as retaliation tomorrow night; that's what I am more concerned about than whether Scott should or shouldn't have gotten a suspension.

EDIT: maybe I was hallucinating last night because after watching it on replay I can't find the punch and miss I thought I saw. Obviously hockey and pain medication don't mix.

N&O has Rutherford as stating Walker is suspended as of now, just going through the mandatory meeting @ 12:30. That will determine severity or waiving of suspension. I'm thinking one game. Walker is no Pronger, and Pronger got a one game last year against the Wings for elbow to head. Not sure about "instigator" aspect, which would most likely add another game and fines. I'd like to believe that there are other camera angles showing Ward high stick Cullen in the face in front of the net when puck was not even near them. That's when Scotty went after Ward. Call that "mitigating" circumstances.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/walker...d-faces-hearing

Agreed. Its was almost like Scotty de-gloved and punched him with one fluid motion. His arm went back and flung his glove off and it never stopped moving forward until A.Ward blocked it with his face. :blink:

I personally think Ward should be suspended for letting his face get between what was obvious to me and that was Scotty was just trying to high five Cullen on the back side.

Whatever the outcome Scottie is my hero, he finally said enough is enough, Ward had whats coming to him. He tries to be the tough guy until someone wants to do something about it, then he suddenly becomes silent. With all the cheapshots to the head by the B's this series, its a shame our guy will be the first one to get suspended.

I personally think Ward should be suspended for letting his face get between what was obvious to me and that was Scotty was just trying to high five Cullen on the back side.

Exactly !!! Walker's fist was the victim here ....the polite thing would have been for Ward to remove his face from the area ASAP ! Maybe you could fine Ward's face ? ;)

EDIT: maybe I was hallucinating last night because after watching it on replay I can't find the punch and miss I thought I saw. Obviously hockey and pain medication don't mix.

Right at the 1:00 mark, you can see the first punch...a glancing blow off the helmet. Then Ward stands there and waits for the next. Not a sucker punch IMO...should have been prepared to defend yourself, Ward.

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

From 99.9 FM/The Fan:

Walker will be available to the Canes for Game 6

Scott Walker will be in uniform for the Canes Tuesday night for Game 6, according to a team source.

There was some question as to whether the right winger would be allowed to play in the game because of an incident late in Game 5 where he punched Boston defenseman Aaron Ward in the face.

At the time, Walker was given a five-minute fighting major, a ten-minute misconduct, and a two-minute instigator penalty.

According to the NHL rulebook, any player given an instigator penalty in the final five minutes or overtime of a contest is automatically suspended, but the league lifted the ban Monday during an afternoon hearing.

Walker will be fined $2,500 for the play.

From 99.9 FM/The Fan:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/blogpost/5124282/' target="_blank">Walker will be available to the Canes for Game 6[/post]

Scott Walker will be in uniform for the Canes Tuesday night for Game 6, according to a team source.

There was some question as to whether the right winger would be allowed to play in the game because of an incident late in Game 5 where he punched Boston defenseman Aaron Ward in the face.

At the time, Walker was given a five-minute fighting major, a ten-minute misconduct, and a two-minute instigator penalty.

According to the NHL rulebook, any player given an instigator penalty in the final five minutes or overtime of a contest is automatically suspended, but the league lifted the ban Monday during an afternoon hearing.

Walker will be fined $2,500 for the play.

That will certainly ruffle some feathers in the Boston camp, maybe Luccic or someone will now be gunning for him, and it may come back to haunt them (Boston).

I wonder if A. Ward can see today, and if he will play tomorrow night.

We need to be really LOUD for this game, and give them all the encouragement we can.

GO CANES !!!

I have to believe they looked at what transpired before the punch took place (i.e. A. Ward roughing up Cullen and trying to get him to fight), leading up to Scotty's actions in his defense, before coming to their decision.

Heres my prediction: Boston starts to head hunt and numerous infractions WILL NOT BE CALLED... at least the refs are consistently not calling roughing penalties against Boston.

Right at the 1:00 mark, you can see the first punch...a glancing blow off the helmet. Then Ward stands there and waits for the next. Not a sucker punch IMO...should have been prepared to defend yourself, Ward.

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

Thanks! I am glad I didn't imagine it. :D