The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Raleigh-Guy

Survival and coping skills for Game 7 vs the Bruins

As a non fee service to our Caniac community, I am proud to announce my advice, lecture, experience and hob nobbing about how I plan to watch, react and survive Thrusday nights game 7.

Since watching profesional sports from 1968 til now I have seen all the great ones over that time period with the exception of NBA basketball which I have boycotted since 1994. Bruin fans may recall 1971 when a young Ken Dryden and a weaker Montreal Canadian team defeated a heavily favoured Boston Bruin team IN Boston in Game 7.

Now, my plans for Thursday night. Its an 8pm start and in Boston so some of you please do not show up at the RBC unless it makes you feel better. Next I will get some afternoon exercise in followed by a bit of gardening and then an agreeable meal.

I wont read the message boards because by that time most posts will be boringly repetative and redundant.

Come puck drop Ill have a nice bowl of buttered popcorn, a rum n coke and put my feet up on the ottoman. I will tell the dog to "get away from me". Game 7 will end somebodys season so therfore it may be our last game so try and relax and enjoy it. I look for "small" victories during the course of the game..dont look ahead to winning it, just hope for a face off win, a good save by our goalie, a good pass or even a first goal like Ruutus in NJ..........take in each period and dont look ahead to the 3rd until it starts.......enjoy the moment while its still scoreless.........that means we have earned our way, good and bad to a 7th game with supposedly a superior opponent, but lets give the bruins credit......they have won 2 in a row and have rightfully earned a place against us in game 7 on their ice.

I feel very confident for the Hurricanes in Game 7......in closing, like I remarked on the Edmonton boards after they throttled us in game 6 up there in 2006........."all previous scores and games in this series are in the NHL trashbin....throw them out for the teams have simply cancelled themselves out to force a final and deciding game. Both teams have won on the others home ice, both teams have shut out the other and all factors are now in play"...............

Simply put..........may the best team win, but also the most opportunistic, smart and better coached..

Well put and I will be doing some of the same things.

GO CANES !!!

Note I changed my signiture alittle :)

I will be a nervous wreck of course but I am also thankful to be in this game 7. We fought back against Jersey with a big game 6 win. Then we clawed our way back in game 7 to not only tie it with less than 2 minutes but to win it. This team has heart and the will to win. No one expected (besides Canes fans and team) this series to run this long. We were supposed to be another small bump on the way to the Eastern Conf. finals. We have given them a run for their money and then some. We beat them 3 games in a row-thats no fluke! They came out on the brink of elimination twice and played like the more desperate team. Now we have a chance to send them home with those yellow towels to cry on. Win or lose I will not hang my head. My car flag will be flying proudly on Friday.

Great thoughts! I especially like your comment about enjoying the game moment by moment-what a great perspective. I'll be doing much of the same-though the cats (I don't have a dog) are welcome to keep me company. They like to watch the game because the Canes move so fast! :)

Had the best dream last night and I'm hoping it's some foreshadowing for tomorrow night. In the dream, it was game 7 and Brind'Amour tied the game with several minutes left in the 3rd period. Then with 7 seconds left, Brind'Amour scored the winning goal! I know it was just a dream after a restless night's sleep and a disappointing loss, but I'm believing it. GO CANES!

I dont believe I can cope, I am already nervous, and I dont see how I am going to be productive at work tomorrow,becuase I will be thinking about the game the whole time

Had the best dream last night and I'm hoping it's some foreshadowing for tomorrow night. In the dream, it was game 7 and Brind'Amour tied the game with several minutes left in the 3rd period. Then with 7 seconds left, Brind'Amour scored the winning goal! I know it was just a dream after a restless night's sleep and a disappointing loss, but I'm believing it. GO CANES!

Wow! Great dream.......I had a dream also, but I dint think the moderators would allow me to post it however.....oh well.

How do the young people say it these days? Rock on?

I will watch the game as follows. First, hopefully the game becomes listed on Time Warner's high def channel and I will set it on record. Then I will batten down all means of any communication regarding the game. Then I will tune into the pregame to be sure that I am recording. Then I will allow about 45 minutes of time to pass. Then I will start watching the prerecorded game, skipping all advertisements.

Psychologically, I am at peace*. 99% of this year there is no reasonable way to expect that we would make the playoffs, win the first series on the road vs. one of the best teams in the league, and then bring an even better team to 7 games with a chance to be one of the last 4 teams standing. Thus I will watch the game with a detatched dispassion taking the good as a bonus and the bad as part of the game.*

*not actually completely true.

What will in point of fact happen is that I will start watching the game in this dispassionate way until something actually happens, at which point I will react in a completely non-dispassionate way with each event until I am eventually stark-raving mad. If we lose, I will be quite unhappy and will then convince myself that it was a good year and immediately start reshaping the team as the armchair GM for next year. If we win I will go guite bonkers, probably waking up the neighborhood.

I will settle into my seat on the sofa around 10 or 15 minutes prior to gametime and flip through the channels to kill time while mentally running through matchups and stats and replaying every "what-if" situation in my head a million times. Internally I will count down the minutes until John and Tripp's voices fill my living room, but outwardly I will pretend to have an interest in what's going on around me and engage in meaningless conversation with my family until game time. By the time the game starts, I will likely be such a wreck that I will feel like I have played 20 minutes already. Once the game has started, there will be no flipping of channels or discussing non-hockey related things or answering phone calls because I will, against my better judgment, become completely engrossed in a game that I have no direct impact on. Each good thing that happens (decent shift, breakaway chance, great save by Wardo, any goal, etc) will be cause for massive and uncontrolled celebration so that I can squeeze every drop of enjoyment out of this game. My dogs will be completely crazy with all the wooing that takes place. :) For every bad thing that happens, well we have fresh chocolate chip cookies laying around so you can probably figure that one out.

rmilano, dont forget the milk with those cookies.. well, im working for a few hours, i work with challanged adults, he is a rabid boston fan, so i am taking him bowling, which we do every thursday, but hes very high functioning, but i know i will hear for the 3 hours that the bruins are going to win... so i have to be patient, tolerant, and keepmymouth quiet.. tonight T and i will be watching, we have the black and redcane flags in the planter, we have our towels.. i like to think that i will sit during the game NOT.. I AM PROUD OF THIS TEAM.. let the chips fall where they may. suppposed to rain here in mass.. maybe some raing on the bruins parade.. hope so! go canes.. and well cam is well cam..