The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
super_dave_1

Security for Dancing Granny

In the big picture with everything else going on right now this isn't much of a gripe, but I've really noticed a trend where people are trying to get in on D.G.'s performance. Kids and adults getting in the way and waving just trying to get on the Jumbotron and Granny can't even get her groove on because of the wanna-be's.

Let the lady shake her groove thing. There may be some mojo in it and if she can't shake it loose, things could go terribly wrong.

Our fans aren't the worry for Game 6.

Word on the street is that Boston is sending down Slashin' Granny, an 83 year old bruiser. She'll be wanting some revenge for the Walker punch on Ward. Watch out Dancin' Granny. :lol:

In the big picture with everything else going on right now this isn't much of a gripe, but I've really noticed a trend where people are trying to get in on D.G.'s performance. Kids and adults getting in the way and waving just trying to get on the Jumbotron and Granny can't even get her groove on because of the wanna-be's.

Let the lady shake her groove thing. There may be some mojo in it and if she can't shake it loose, things could go terribly wrong.

I noticed this at the last game. For a while she had moved to the handicapped section in front of the organ, but now she's back in the crowd. They put her on during a stoppage and not a TV break, so she didn't have much time, and someone (I assume a relative) tried to put a fake beard on her, which seemed a bit much. Maybe it was just the brevity of the appearance, but she's looking a bit fragile...I hope she's doing OK.

There have been a couple of kids running up to dance with her most of the season. That keeps her from doing what we have all come to love so much. I didn't get to Friday's game, but on Wednesday some moron that was sitting close to her was leaning all in front of her and waving to get on the Jumbotron. The Canes promo guy was down there trying to give her the cowbell and stick. She didn't look sure what to do with the stick.

She doesn't need props. She is a solo act. Enjoy her in all her glory, alone with her 45 seconds of fame a game.

I kinda wish they'd drop it, it lost its novelty when they started paying a ton of attention to her. We all knnow shes been sick recently as well, let her watch her team she doesnt have to entertain everyone...

If she is suffering from Dementia (in N&O) a while back, just leave her be, There's nothing worse than watching a elderly person doing something they don't fully understand.

I kinda wish they'd drop it, it lost its novelty when they started paying a ton of attention to her. We all knnow shes been sick recently as well, let her watch her team she doesnt have to entertain everyone...

Ditto on that one!

It was nice when she did her dance and that was it. It was obvious that she enjoyed it and I don't feel that she was working to entertain anyone. It got to be a bit much when everyone started running up to her and the RBC staff starts to shove cowbells, Guitar Hero guitars, and stuff like that at her when she "does her jig". If you've ever seen her walking around the concourse, she truly likes the attention and is having fun.

Everyone just needs to pull back and let her enjoy herself.

It got old. It was funny the first couple of times, but it's not funny anymore. If she wants to dance, she'll dance whenever she wants, don't point the camera on her so she feels obligated.

It got old. It was funny the first couple of times, but it's not funny anymore. If she wants to dance, she'll dance whenever she wants, don't point the camera on her so she feels obligated.

Given the hot topic of the last few hours, what a fitting name SP!

I agree that they have been trying to steal Granny's show. Game before last they were trying to get her to do the cowbell and she was having a hard time and the past game they tried to put a beard on her. It all seemed to get in the way of her performance. I talked to her after Friday's game and she said that she (I'm assuming her daughter, since she was there with her) tried to put the beard on her but it wouldn't stick. She seemed upset about it. So she knew what was going on. She talked to me and my friend for a while after the game. She held my hand while she was talking to me. So she likes the attention and what can you say...she is one dedicated woman!! I was going to get her to sign my game card from that night but I watched her kinda struggle to sign someones shirt so I didn't want to push it. But yes, Superdave, I agree that Granny needs some security. I worry about the kids and adults knocking her down while she is trying to dance. As far as her health concerns, I would hope that her family members would watch over her and pull the plug on her dancin' if it's getting to be too much.

Go Granny, go Canes!

I have wondered recently if the team comps her tickets.... I think at this point its the least they could do. Free season tickets for her and a family member.

I have wondered recently if the team comps her tickets.... I think at this point its the least they could do. Free season tickets for her and a family member.

From what I recall from previous article or thread, her and her daughter have a few season tickets, I think it may be 5 of them. I could be wrong on the number though. I do think they the Canes do some things for her.

GO CANES !!!!

... Dementia ...

I think you're talking about Alzheimer's disease (http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_10_s..._alzheimers.asp[/post] and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer's_disease). Folks with AD -- and that total was 26.6 million worldwide in 2006 -- often have pretty wild mood swings; if Dancin' Granny is as cheerful and upbeat now as she seemed to have been before, she's probably not in bad shape.

Just a guess, but I think she probably gets a kick out of the attention, just as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Remember, too, that she's keeping her arteries clear and her heart strong by rockin' to the beat. (As long as she's in good health, becoming inactive would be one of the poorer choices she could make.) More power to her -- and here's to many more years of her happy feet! :)

Jan/GSBG