The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
natnat919

What does a Caniac Do?

Oh, the trials and tribulations of being a die-hard Caniac.

I haven't missed a home game in over 2 years. Full season ticket holder, die hard Caniac. Live, eat and breathe Hurricanes.

And here we are......... One game away from advancing to the Eastern Conference Championship (again), I just can't believe it! Six months ago, (things weren't quite as rosy) I booked a vacation for an extended Memorial Day weekend. Due to the line of work I'm in, I can't take any time off in June/July/August because of a heavy workload. So I have booked and paid for a trip to Tahoe and San Francisco. And now, there's a pretty darned good chance that we'll be playing home games during that time.

Without putting the cart before the horse, I'm adding up in my mind the pros and cons. Wait until next week and see how the trip is affected by it? Cancel it and prove that Hockey Trumps Everything (which has been my motto for years). Or find a nice sports bar in Tahoe, wear my jersey, and scream so loudly that you can hear me in NC?

Well, I'd say just let it come to you. Don't make or change plans. No jinxes allowed.

I haven't missed a home game in over 2 years. Full season ticket holder, die hard Caniac. Live, eat and breathe Hurricanes.

And here we are......... One game away from advancing to the Eastern Conference Championship (again), I just can't believe it! Six months ago, (things weren't quite as rosy) I booked a vacation for an extended Memorial Day weekend. Due to the line of work I'm in, I can't take any time off in June/July/August because of a heavy workload. So I have booked and paid for a trip to Tahoe and San Francisco. And now, there's a pretty darned good chance that we'll be playing home games during that time.

Without putting the cart before the horse, I'm adding up in my mind the pros and cons. Wait until next week and see how the trip is affected by it? Cancel it and prove that Hockey Trumps Everything (which has been my motto for years). Or find a nice sports bar in Tahoe, wear my jersey, and scream so loudly that you can hear me in NC?

Suck it up and buy four of those fly anytime passes on SW Air and take the red-eye back and forth. How hard was that???? No decision reqd :lol:

Oh, if I were you, I'd go to Tahoe and give the tickets to me. I'll make sure they are fully appreciated.

Oh, if I were you, I'd go to Tahoe and give the tickets to me. I'll make sure they are fully appreciated.

I can vouch for him, he would REALLY appreciate them and knows how to "represent"!! He would even carry your Canes purse with pride!!

If you don't think superdave is UP to the task, I am. I'll take tickets to any game you can't make it to, and we'll cheer in your stead.

Seriously though, that is a tight spot that you're in.

If you don't think superdave is UP to the task, I am. I'll take tickets to any game you can't make it to, and we'll cheer in your stead.

Seriously though, that is a tight spot that you're in.

but would you carry the Canes purse?? that is the task that separates the men from boys!!

The wife and I came home early from our second honeymoon cruise to catch games 5 and 7 of the Finals in '06. The flight costed a lot. There's your answer. ;)

but would you carry the Canes purse?? that is the task that separates the men from boys!!

Dude, I play bagpipes and wear a kilt with a sporran on the front...a man purse. Carrying a Canes purse is a minor deal. So there ya go, if you really wanna know what separate the men from the boys, ask what I have on under my kilt.

normal_copperpenny.jpg

Interesting dilemma. 2006 my wife and I had to make some difficult decisions. My wifes father was in ICU in Winston-Salem where we live. We went to game #5 SCF thinking this should be the series clincher and we sure don't want to miss seeing the Canes win the Cup. When the Oilers scored a short handed goal in OT I thought I was going to puke. Then watching the Canes get destroyed in the Hospital in game #6 wasn't much fun. we had to make a difficult decision with my wife's father given a 1 and 100 chance of surviving everyday ment the world to us. We made a decision to go to game #7. I know this makes us a little crazy but that's what her father would have wanted for us. Game #7 was amazing and the best event I ever been a part of in my life.

My wife's father has made a full recovery and was able to come to my house last night to watch the Bruin beat down.

I too have a vacation planned staring June 11th going to Orlando. Nothing will make me miss the finals if we are in.

Here is a schedule of the finals.

Friday, June 5

Stanley Cup finals, Game 1, 8 p.m. ET

Saturday, June 6

Stanley Cup finals, Game 2, 8 p.m. ET

Monday, June 8

Stanley Cup Finals, Game 3, 8 p.m. ET

Wednesday, June 10

Stanley Cup Finals, Game 4, 8 p.m. ET

Friday, June 12

Stanley Cup finals, Game 5, 8 p.m. ET

Sunday, June 14

Stanley Cup finals, Game 6, 5 p.m. ET

Tuesday, June 16

Stanley Cup finals, Game 7, 8 p.m. ET

He would even carry your Canes purse with pride!!

I'd even wear your Canes thong for tickets.

If you don't think superdave is UP to the task, I am.

Just like Smiling Bob, you know I'm always UP to the task.

if you really wanna know what separate the men from the boys, ask what I have on under my kilt.

I don't think you want to get in a kilt lifting contest with Smiling Bob. You may end up Frowning fpsndiver.

I too have a vacation planned staring June 11th going to Orlando. Nothing will make me miss the finals if we are in.

Big man, I told you Wednesday that you would have to give up that trip. I'm not putting the cart in front of the horse, but ya gotta have faith.

The wife and I came home early from our second honeymoon cruise to catch games 5 and 7 of the Finals in '06. The flight costed a lot. There's your answer. ;)

Not much to do on the 2nd honeymoon, eh?

Interesting dilemma. 2006 my wife and I had to make some difficult decisions. My wifes father was in ICU in Winston-Salem where we live. We went to game #5 SCF thinking this should be the series clincher and we sure don't want to miss seeing the Canes win the Cup. When the Oilers scored a short handed goal in OT I thought I was going to puke. Then watching the Canes get destroyed in the Hospital in game #6 wasn't much fun. we had to make a difficult decision with my wife's father given a 1 and 100 chance of surviving everyday ment the world to us. We made a decision to go to game #7. I know this makes us a little crazy but that's what her father would have wanted for us. Game #7 was amazing and the best event I ever been a part of in my life.

My wife's father has made a full recovery and was able to come to my house last night to watch the Bruin beat down.

Are you still in the will?

I read this the other day, that Games 1 and 2 would be Friday-Saturday. What's the point of the back to back??

I wonder, only because I'm the best man at a wedding that Saturday, and the rehearsal garbage is of course that Friday night.

Friday, June 5

Stanley Cup finals, Game 1, 8 p.m. ET

Saturday, June 6

Stanley Cup finals, Game 2, 8 p.m. ET

Monday, June 8

Stanley Cup Finals, Game 3, 8 p.m. ET

Wednesday, June 10

Stanley Cup Finals, Game 4, 8 p.m. ET

Friday, June 12

Stanley Cup finals, Game 5, 8 p.m. ET

Sunday, June 14

Stanley Cup finals, Game 6, 5 p.m. ET

Tuesday, June 16

Stanley Cup finals, Game 7, 8 p.m. ET

Is that set in stone? I thought the each round's schedule was based on the end of the previous round.....

Where did you get this information? I haven't searched real hard, but a quick glance at the schedule on nhl.com only shows the current round.

Not much to do on the 2nd honeymoon, eh?

Seeing the Cup won in game 7 of the series in your barn is better than anything you can do on a cruise ship. Ever.

I say find a nice bar in a foreign town. I've traveled quite often when one of my teams was fighting for life. It's a great way to meet people. Find some fools in Tahoe wearing 'Canes jerseys at a bar where it's being shown on a 13" TV

Is that set in stone? I thought the each round's schedule was based on the end of the previous round.....

Where did you get this information? I haven't searched real hard, but a quick glance at the schedule on nhl.com only shows the current round.

NBCsports.com. Apparently there is going to be a minimum 7 day delay between the end of the Conference Finals and the start of the SCF's, but it could be longer.

Well, the Canes did it! And the ECF schedule is out. Are games 3 and 4 during your scheduled trip? You have a tough decision. Personally, I think I'd reschedule the trip for Labor day timeframe. Tahoe and San Francisco will be there to experience any time...barring disaster...but deep playoff runs only come so often and you cannot really predict exactly when. Just my .02 for what it's worth.

Yep, decision made around 11:30 pm last night...... trip rescheduled this morning!! Basing it around the Home Game schedule!! Leaving Wed 5/27am and coming home late night on Sat 5/30, won't miss a thing. I'd be watching the 5/29 Away game in a sports bar anyway, so why not watch it on the West Coast!! Thanks for all the "offers" for taking my tickets off my hands.........you guys are too kind! LOL

Wait a minute. My wife and I are also missing game 3 (also STHs) due to my wife's best friend's wedding (for which she is bridesmaid). Can't really cancel that one, huh?

But why I really replied was back to that schedule. Are games 1 and 2 of the SCF really back to back nights? THAT"S INSANE.